Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals IX - Three Weeks Til Tradedown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why is buffalo more attractive?

Because management is being proactive in making the team better while our management is waiting for the team to get better to start being proactive

I have a hard time reconciling a team that has just traded away it's starting goaltender for one of the worst backups in the league as an attractive option for players.

Sure, they have some potential, but until they start realizing it, I would stay away as a player.

Enroth is a UFA is he not? I'd bet they re-sign him, like with Moulson

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Because management is being proactive in making the team better while our management is waiting for the team to get better to start being proactive

I'd also add the fact that Buffalo has Terry Pegula as owner. We have Eugene Melnyk. One is stable, the other is not.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Buffalo is in the US meaning: closer to nice places, less taxes and less exposure

Almost any team in the US is going to be more desirable than Canada

Buffalo is also not playing the "we'll spend once the team is good" which must be nice, instead it's "we'll spend to help the team get good"

As a hard core Bills fan, I can tell you that maybe Buffalo might be lore desirable than Ottawa (maybe), Buffalo is the least desirable professional sports city in America.

Again, all the money in the world isn't going to change that. And that includes Pegula now owning my Bills.

WhiteLight*

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Prince - Soderberg - Da Costa
Matthias - Pageau - Condra
McClement

Methot - Karlsson
Sekera - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman
Borowiecki

Lehner - Enroth

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We added Ryan not too long ago. That was pro-active, no?

I'm not a huge Enroth fan, but in any event, until they sign him, that's a huge red flag imo. What happens if he opts to sign elsewhere? Edmonton could try and land him, Minnesota might take a chance on him.

Like I said, Buffalo isn't attractive right now. They could make moves that make them attractive, but right now they are just a team starting a rebuild. This isn't like when Pittsburgh that drafted Crosby, but already had Malkin, Fleury, Whitney and Orpik and McDavid isn't Crosby. Crist, Pittsburgh even had Mario lace them up to get the team going.

In 2 years, when McDavid or Eichel is proving the hype wasn't misplaced, and the team is starting to get the results one the ice, Buffalo will be an attractive market for players to sign. But until then, I don't see it. Hockey teams aren't like start up businesses where if you get in on the ground floor you can fast track your way to the top.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
McClement

Methot - Karlsson
Sekera - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman
Borowiecki

Lehner - Enroth

What the crap is this and why do we want anything to do with McClement?

DaCosta on the wing???

What did we do to get Soderberg?

Assuming Sekera was a FA signing?

Edit: Sorry if that came off rude, this just needs more explanation. Why is Anderson gone/what did it get us?

WhiteLight*

What the crap is this and why do we want anything to do with McClement?

DaCosta on the wing???

What did we do to get Soderberg?

Assuming Sekera was a FA signing?

All UFA signings

Insert any cheap and decent 13th forward instead of McClement

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

umm what?

they are literally the only team who is purposely tanking and built their team to tank in the summer and the last few moves furthur proves that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd argue it was reactive because the only reason we did it was because Alfie bailed

Given that it happened pretty much instantly, I imagine it had been being worked on, and we just upped the offer to pulled the trigger as a reaction to losing Alfie.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yes we know it was being worked on but it wasn't happening until management had to react to something major happening

The budget meant we couldn't keep Alfie and get Ryan so they had to had Alfie make the decision for them

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
McClement

Methot - Karlsson
Sekera - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman
Borowiecki

Lehner - Enroth

D is good.

Hoff-Zib-Ryan
Mac-Turris-X
Prince-Lazar/JGP-Stone
X-Smith-X

Is how I see forwards. 2 questions marks imo: Zib taking another step forward, and 2nd line RW. 4th line Xs can be filled with anyone really.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes we know it was being worked on but it wasn't happening until management had to react to something major happening

The budget meant we couldn't keep Alfie and get Ryan so they had to had Alfie make the decision for them

why would they go after ryan to begin with if they couldn't afford him alongside alfie :help:

WhiteLight*

D is good.

Hoff-Zib-Ryan
Mac-Turris-X
Prince-Lazar-Stone
X-Smith/Pageau-X

Is how I see forwards. 2 questions marks imo: Zib taking another step forward, and 2nd line RW. 4th line Xs can be filled with anyone really.

I'd like to get Condra and Da Costa in there somehow. Contra is bang for buck, what a guy

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Maybe 4th line RW but depends if Murray/whoever wants more "toughness". Maybe it's enough with Smith.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
why would they go after ryan to begin with if they couldn't afford him alongside alfie :help:

Because it was a work in progress

Because they figured they could land him later in the season when Ryan would be cheaper?

Because they thought Alfie would take another discount?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

IDK ottawa's been pretty proactive. just cause we didn't make a huge trade this year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
IDK ottawa's been pretty proactive. just cause we didn't make a huge trade this year.

I'm not saying it's horrible and it's why we're no good

But it is what ownership has stated: they will spend once the team is ready to contend

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I've seen this before, but the reality MacArhur's 3.25 and Silfverberg's .850 brings us pretty close to what Alfie took in Det. I'm thinking they were trying to get Alfie to sign for around 4 mil so they could have both on budget, but he balked.

Even if that wasn't the case, other contracts could have been moved to make room, like Greening who still had value at the time. The budget not allowing for having both to me was just damage control PR. If they were talking about this earlier (with most report indicate was the case, for up to a year beforehand) then they had a plan on how to make it work.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
... and McDavid isn't Crosby....

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I recognize that's setting a really high bar, but this kid is pretty special from what I've seen. I was much more impressed with him at the WJC than any of the other hyped number ones recently (Hall, Tavares, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad