Speculation: 2014-2015 Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Flyers were offered MPS before in trade talks with Edmonton. They offered us 2 2nd rounders and MPS at the draft for Coburn and the Flyers said no. They wouldn't and shouldn't want anything to do with him.

Hey Blue fans, let's talk about Oshie ;)

Philly needs not another centre nor RW trading for Oshie does little good for the flyers outside of win a few more shootouts.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
[/B]

I have been saying I want Methot for a while now. He is a player who is more dependable( as a player, not injury wise) than Coburn and could come in right around the same price or a little higher. There were rumors he was willing to go 5 years 25 million and if we move Coburn, MacDonald, Grossman, and Schenn or some of them, we can fit him in easily. The problem is who wants those players? Not too many people. I am hopeful Hextall can start transforming this defense but I have cautious optimistic.

I think Calgary could want Coburn. The temptation could be very big for Burke to makes moves to get into the playoffs if they remain in position at the deadline. I am not sure Coburn alone could get a 1st rd pick but I would add in Read too if necessary with Calgary adding something.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think Calgary could want Coburn. The temptation could be very big for Burke to makes moves to get into the playoffs if they remain in position at the deadline. I am not sure Coburn alone could get a 1st rd pick but I would add in Read too if necessary with Calgary adding something.

Hmm Read and Coburn to Calgary for a 1st rounder+Sven + 2nd rounder or something in 2016 might not be a bad deal for both sides. Calgary loves Read to, they were the other team he was considering before he ultimately signed with us. That also helps Calgary fans get over the fact that a move for Coburn is "short term" which is not what GM's would say. When you get a player for 18 months, that move is never looked upon as short term. I don't think Coburn would have a problem signing there either if the offer was fair.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Coburn and Read for 1st, 3rd, Baertschi and maybe another prospect or later round pick? Not sure I would do that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
[/B]

I have been saying I want Methot for a while now. He is a player who is more dependable( as a player, not injury wise) than Coburn and could come in right around the same price or a little higher. There were rumors he was willing to go 5 years 25 million and if we move Coburn, MacDonald, Grossman, and Schenn or some of them, we can fit him in easily. The problem is who wants those players? Not too many people. I am hopeful Hextall can start transforming this defense but I have cautious optimistic.

That's the issue. If you can't move those guys, he becomes a bit redundant. Of course he would be the best on the bunch, but I don't see a fit if we can't move at least 2 of those guys.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It might be a little too early for teams to think about trading their first rounder as well. I would say around January or the beginning of February where teams will start asking their head scouts whether it would be worth it to give up a pick in the mid to low 20 range for a guy like Coburn. Hopefully, with Burke in Calgary, we can get him or someone to bite.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014

Coby, Read, and 2016 2nd for 1st in 15 and Baertschi?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Coby, Read, and 2016 2nd for 1st in 15 and Baertschi?

I am not adding anything on top of those two NHL players to acquire a first rounder. IMO I believe they have to add to their first rounder to get both of those guys. Beartschi is pretty much becoming a bust, I mentioned him in my other post but I am not so sure I would want him in a package. It just seems like he would be an option for them to move.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It might be a little too early for teams to think about trading their first rounder as well. I would say around January or the beginning of February where teams will start asking their head scouts whether it would be worth it to give up a pick in the mid to low 20 range for a guy like Coburn. Hopefully, with Burke in Calgary, we can get him or someone to bite.

Calgary has a very good chance of dropping out of playoff position, Burke could have some fear of another Tyler Seguin disaster where Calgary would win the lottery and the Flyers get MacDavid. I would offer them a deal much like Buffalo and the Islanders did where they get to choose a 1st this year or next. So maybe in 2016 the Flyers could pick up Auston Matthews. I would say a 1st rd pick either 2015/2016 and a 2nd rd pick the opposite year of the 1st rounder plus a prospect for Read and Coburn.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Coburn and Read for 1st, 3rd, Baertschi and maybe another prospect or later round pick? Not sure I would do that.

Really? I'd do that in a heartbeat. Especially if Calgary falls off like everyone is expecting, we could have 2 top-15 picks, maybe top 10....maybe packageable to #1 or 2 overall if we don't earn that ourselves

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Really? I'd do that in a heartbeat. Especially if Calgary falls off like everyone is expecting, we could have 2 top-15 picks, maybe top 10....maybe packageable to #1 or 2 overall if we don't earn that ourselves

You would probably have to package Giroux or Voracek to get #1 or #2 this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Key word is could. We also could lose our best defenseman and one of our most consistent and responsible forwards for a guy that never makes the NHL on a regular basis and a guy that we know nothing about (whomever they take with the first). I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, I am just not sure.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
[/B]

Methot has a bad back.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Agreed. The highest anybody will be moving up to in this draft is 3rd overall.

I don't know if it would happen, but would you trade every draft pick you have this year for 1 or 2? Not just the Flyers picks, but if you were any other team outside of the top 2 would you deal all 7 of your picks to get #1 or #2? Ricky Williams style?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Methot has a bad back.

I know. That's why he can be had for a reasonable price. I don't view Methot as a long term fixture on the Flyers blueline but as a stable guy who can help puck moving prospects transition to the NHL while taking tough minutes.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Methot has a bad back.

This year. If he comes back and shows he can play and play up to his potential he was before than I have no problem signing him. If not, then I stay away. Sekera is another option but he will be getting paid more than the Flyers would be comfortable with our loads already on defense.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know if it would happen, but would you trade every draft pick you have this year for 1 or 2? Not just the Flyers picks, but if you were any other team outside of the top 2 would you deal all 7 of your picks to get #1 or #2? Ricky Williams style?

Yeah, but the team that has the pick wouldn't.

Think about the packages teams were coming up with to get Lindros, just to get an idea of how valuable that pick would be.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I wouldn't personally but I think other teams would in a heartbeat. I doubt any of the top 2 pick teams would except a trade since a #1 scoring center is one of the hardest things to find.

I wouldn't because as crazy as it sounds, I am more intrigued by Hanifin and even Werenski than those two centers. I want the Flyers to win a Stanley Cup and not just one but multiple ones. If you look at the last 20 Stanley Cup champions, 16 had hall of fame level defenseman. There have been 5 teams to repeat as champions in the last 20 and 4 of the 5 drafted their hall of fame level defender (Colorado is the only repeater who didn't have a HOF level defender their 1st cup and traded for two their 2nd cup).

In reverse I would do the trade if I had the 1 of the top 2 picks to drop down to 3 maybe 4 depending on how Werenski continues to look. The ransom in picks and prospects would be huge much like the Eric Lindros trade. Eric Lindros's draft in 1991 is the perfect example of my thinking: Eric Lindros 1st overall (no cups), Scott Niedermayer 3rd (4 cups, 3 with the team that drafted him). The 2008 draft is another great example as Stamkos 1st overall, no cups, and Doughty 2 overall with 2 cups so far. Stamkos's Tampa Bay team has only been in the playoffs 2 times since he has been drafted.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

In football later round picks are a lot more valuable than in hockey.

That wouldn't be worth it at all for the team with the #1 or #2 this year

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In football later round picks are a lot more valuable than in hockey.

That wouldn't be worth it at all for the team with the #1 or #2 this year

Yeah it is kind of an apples to oranges thing.

EDIT: What if in fantasy world you had like two picks each in the first three rounds, would you do it then?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I wouldn't personally but I think other teams would in a heartbeat. I doubt any of the top 2 pick teams would except a trade since a #1 scoring center is one of the hardest things to find.

I wouldn't because as crazy as it sounds, I am more intrigued by Hanifin and even Werenski than those two centers. I want the Flyers to win a Stanley Cup and not just one but multiple ones. If you look at the last 20 Stanley Cup champions, 16 had hall of fame level defenseman. There have been 5 teams to repeat as champions in the last 20 and 4 of the 5 drafted their hall of fame level defender (Colorado is the only repeater who didn't have a HOF level defender their 1st cup and traded for two their 2nd cup).

In reverse I would do the trade if I had the 1 of the top 2 picks to drop down to 3 maybe 4 depending on how Werenski continues to look. The ransom in picks and prospects would be huge much like the Eric Lindros trade. Eric Lindros's draft in 1991 is the perfect example of my thinking: Eric Lindros 1st overall (no cups), Scott Niedermayer 3rd (4 cups, 3 with the team that drafted him). The 2008 draft is another great example as Stamkos 1st overall, no cups, and Doughty 2 overall with 2 cups so far. Stamkos's Tampa Bay team has only been in the playoffs 2 times since he has been drafted.
You do that. I'll gladly take McDavid or Eichel. :)

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah it is kind of an apples to oranges thing.

EDIT: What if in fantasy world you had like two picks each in the first three rounds, would you do it then?

Probably not. It's a quantity for quality type of trade where the quantity is completely unknown. McDavid and Eichel are the type of players that can turn a franchise into a winner down the road. Button always overhypes draft eligible players, but he's said that he thinks these are the two best prospects since Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad