Speculation: 2014-2015 Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's not a potential step down. It's absolutely a step down.

And why are you proposing we trade to fill a hole, only so we can make a new hole we have to try to make a trade to fix? Didn't the Homer Era clearly indicate that's unsustainable?

Pretty much. That line of thinking is how you end up with trades like Schenn for JVR.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Not to mention that not a single player in the league is better as a shut down center for the competition they face than Couturier.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Edit: And Tylers Myers is not a franchise changing defenseman. Just stop with that nonsense.

Did I say Myers was a "franchise changing defenseman"? But I certainly don't think Couturier is a "franchise changing center" either.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
The point is that Couturier is worth little else than a franchise defender or a top line wing of the same quality. And yes, every team in the league wants Couturier/ needs an elite shutdown center with offensive touch. For most, the price is too high.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If the price is Couts+ for Myers you would think Buffalo would have taken it. They wanted Larkin+Kindl for Myers and were turned down by Detroit. Larkin doesn't have the value of Couts and Kindl is just a throw in. Anything with Couts as the center piece is already a better deal than another turned down on Myers.

I also don't believe the speculation that the package had a pick attached. I think the media would have picked up on something in that regard yet nothing ever leaked.
Could you imagine a pairing of Morin-Myers. My goodness the opposing offense wouldn't have any ice to work with.

Thing is, Dreger is the only one who reported that deal. Every other media source / rumor had a consistent asking price of prospect + 1st + cap dump.

So which is more likely, Dreger scooped everyone AND BUF lowered the ask for a division rival, or Dreger simply left the pick out? He mentioned that price twice. I listened to both. In context, it certainly would have made sense that the pick was implicit, IMO.

The equivalent is probably somrthing like Laughton + Grossmann + 2nd (maybe MacDonald and a better pick?)

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
hey guys i know this trade wont happen but a friend of mine is a huge yotes fan (why i have no clue) but he asked how flyer fans would react to this trade (completely hypothetical) coots + vinny + 2016 2nd for OEL (2016 2nd because i informed him that we dont have a 2nd this year)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
hey guys i know this trade wont happen but a friend of mine is a huge yotes fan (why i have no clue) but he asked how flyer fans would react to this trade (completely hypothetical) coots + vinny + 2016 2nd for OEL (2016 2nd because i informed him that we dont have a 2nd this year)

Hextall would do that in a New York minute. A second/third center, a cap dump of a horrible contract, & a second round pick for a 23 year old #1 defensemen is a no brainer.

Unforunately there's zero chance Phoenix would do that.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

Done. Where do I sign?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Hextall would do that in a New York minute. A second/third center, a cap dump of a horrible contract, & a second round pick for a 23 year old #1 defensemen is a no brainer.

Unforunately there's zero chance Phoenix would do that.

I didn't have the heart to tell my buddy how dumb he sounded to me lol in my mind I was like hell yeah we'd take it, but I was like I think that sounds fair haha

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Blues fan here with a inquiry, is Matt Read available right now, and if so what would you want for him?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Blues fan here with a inquiry, is Matt Read available right now, and if so what would you want for him?

Well, he's certainly not untouchable. But he's playing the worst hockey of his career by a mile. Unless a team is going to give up value for the two-way, 45-point version of Matt Read, there's not a lot of reason for the Flyers to deal him.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No. This team's prospect pool is heavy on defensive prospects. If we really are building for the future then it makes no sense to trade Couturier for another defenseman, even if the value favors the Flyers right now. Couturier will be very important to any future success of this team.

The Flyers are in a tough predicament in regards to their defense prospects. The prospects need to be sheltered as they get adjusted to the NHL. The problem is the Flyers don't have very good veteran defenders or anybody who take 1st pair responsibilities. Coburn is the Flyers best defender but he has shown that he needs a steady veteran presence to play with as opposed to actually being one for a young defender. MacDonald has been a disaster. L. Schenn and Grossmann will be off the team after next season at the latest, not that they are any good, so that leaves only Streit as a good veteran presence. So the Flyers will need to acquire veteran defenders to not only mentor the prospects but also to take hard minutes until they are ready. But how do they do that without capspace?

Couturier is a great defensive center but IMO he won't ever be a dominant offensive player due to his speed. A bulk of goals scored at 5 on 5 in today's NHL is off of the rush. That is why teams that carry the puck into the zone score more than those that dump and chase. Couturier is great at carrying the puck into the offensive zone but not great at creating the great scoring chances on breakaways or 2 on 1 rushes because of his skating. A guy like Laughton could create those chances. So the question is what is Laughton going forward: a productive 2nd line center or a 3rd line center. If Laughton and Couturier both project as 3rd line centers then moving Couturier would be that bad of an idea.

Couturier for Myers could work out if the Flyers attached MacDonald to the deal but only in the offseason and coupled with other moves. If the Flyers could clear some cap space during this season by trading Coburn and Read or whoever, they can sign a guy like Methot (would prefer Staal but that is a pipe dream)to pair with Myers. Myers and Methot could take 1st pair minutes and shelter the kids until they are ready. Then at some point at the end of next year or the following season, Myers could be paired with Morin and Methot with Ghost, much like his was with Karlsson. The Flyers would have a hole at 2nd line center but they will probably take either a center or defenseman in the draft this year based on Hextall's comments about valuing those positions over wings or since they will be bad next year too, they could get the center then.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Oh man I'd love MPS here. I was convinced that this guy was going to be the steal of the draft leading up to the draft. I thought he was close to the level of Tavares. I'm not sure though if he's worth trading anything of value for at this point though.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Flyers are in a tough predicament in regards to their defense prospects. The prospects need to be sheltered as they get adjusted to the NHL. The problem is the Flyers don't have very good veteran defenders or anybody who take 1st pair responsibilities. Coburn is the Flyers best defender but he has shown that he needs a steady veteran presence to play with as opposed to actually being one for a young defender. MacDonald has been a disaster. L. Schenn and Grossmann will be off the team after next season at the latest, not that they are any good, so that leaves only Streit as a good veteran presence. So the Flyers will need to acquire veteran defenders to not only mentor the prospects but also to take hard minutes until they are ready. But how do they do that without capspace?

Couturier is a great defensive center but IMO he won't ever be a dominant offensive player due to his speed. A bulk of goals scored at 5 on 5 in today's NHL is off of the rush. That is why teams that carry the puck into the zone score more than those that dump and chase. Couturier is great at carrying the puck into the offensive zone but not great at creating the great scoring chances on breakaways or 2 on 1 rushes because of his skating. A guy like Laughton could create those chances. So the question is what is Laughton going forward: a productive 2nd line center or a 3rd line center. If Laughton and Couturier both project as 3rd line centers then moving Couturier would be that bad of an idea.

Couturier for Myers could work out if the Flyers attached MacDonald to the deal but only in the offseason and coupled with other moves. If the Flyers could clear some cap space during this season by trading Coburn and Read or whoever, they can sign a guy like Methot (would prefer Staal but that is a pipe dream)to pair with Myers. Myers and Methot could take 1st pair minutes and shelter the kids until they are ready. Then at some point at the end of next year or the following season, Myers could be paired with Morin and Methot with Ghost, much like his was with Karlsson. The Flyers would have a hole at 2nd line center but they will probably take either a center or defenseman in the draft this year based on Hextall's comments about valuing those positions over wings or since they will be bad next year too, they could get the center then.

I completely agree that the young defensemen will need sheltering as they enter the league, but how exactly does Myers accomplish that? He's 30 games into his first season where he doesn't need to be completely sheltered himself. He comes to Philly and he's immediately thrown into a role that's above what he's capable of. Then we end up with another Coburn scenario.

I'd immediately jump on Methot if they could find a taker for MacDonald. He's the exact type of defenseman that you want paired with a young guy making the jump to the NHL. I'm just not convinced that it makes sense to move as valuable an asset as Couturier just to pick up a top four defenseman.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Oh man I'd love MPS here. I was convinced that this guy was going to be the steal of the draft leading up to the draft. I thought he was close to the level of Tavares. I'm not sure though if he's worth trading anything of value for at this point though.

I think Blues fans have said that he's one of those "all the tools, but no toolbox" type of players.

We need smarter hockey players, and I'm not sure MPS fits that mold.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

I have been saying I want Methot for a while now. He is a player who is more dependable( as a player, not injury wise) than Coburn and could come in right around the same price or a little higher. There were rumors he was willing to go 5 years 25 million and if we move Coburn, MacDonald, Grossman, and Schenn or some of them, we can fit him in easily. The problem is who wants those players? Not too many people. I am hopeful Hextall can start transforming this defense but I have cautious optimistic.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Flyers were offered MPS before in trade talks with Edmonton. They offered us 2 2nd rounders and MPS at the draft for Coburn and the Flyers said no. They wouldn't and shouldn't want anything to do with him.

Hey Blue fans, let's talk about Oshie ;)

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I completely agree that the young defensemen will need sheltering as they enter the league, but how exactly does Myers accomplish that? He's 30 games into his first season where he doesn't need to be completely sheltered himself. He comes to Philly and he's immediately thrown into a role that's above what he's capable of. Then we end up with another Coburn scenario.

I'd immediately jump on Methot if they could find a taker for MacDonald. He's the exact type of defenseman that you want paired with a young guy making the jump to the NHL. I'm just not convinced that it makes sense to move as valuable an asset as Couturier just to pick up a top four defenseman.

I agree with you that Myers needs to be paired with a good veteran defenseman and that's why I stated it should be done in the offseason when the Flyers could sign a guy like Methot to steady him a bit. Myers has handle 1st pair minutes before, even though he is not that great at it, so I don't think it would kill his confidence if he struggles like Coburn where as those minutes could crush a new prospects confidence long term. I see Myers as a #3 on a good team paired with a good defensive defenseman like Methot to start and then Morin when he is ready.

I agree that trading Couturier straight up for Myers is an overpayment for a #3 defenseman even though that's the top level defenseman you are likely to get on the trade front. But getting rid of MacDonalds contract would be worth it since the Flyers are paying a last pair defenseman at this point 5 million a year for the next 5 years. It would trade Couturier at all if Laughton was on the team. They look like they both could be best suited for the 3rd line center role although it is a little too early to tell for Laughton.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Flyers were offered MPS before in trade talks with Edmonton. They offered us 2 2nd rounders and MPS at the draft for Coburn and the Flyers said no. They wouldn't and shouldn't want anything to do with him.

Hey Blue fans, let's talk about Oshie ;)

Yeah, I'm with ya. I wouldn't pursue MPS, but if he were a throw-in or something, I'd gladly take him. I think he is better than he has been, but he's not going to be anything more than a 3rd liner unfortunately. He's too soft really, especially for such a big guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad