Salary Cap: 2014-2015 Roster Building Thread - Part V for Vendetta | Don't Hate on Greasy Neal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
SJS has said that Stalock is their guy. Pens will have to offer a much better contract than SJS.

Not all of these goalies are coming out of a good goalie program like Boston who has regularly produced good goalies. Some back ups stay back ups for a reason.

People are betting these back ups can put up as numbers as good as Fleury playing 60+ games plus play better in the playoffs. I think that is a poor bet.

I'l repeat MAF tied for 23rd in the league in save percentage, i'm not expecting these goalies to play like Rask, i'm just expecting them to be average, they have shown they can be at least average when they got a chance to play.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Peters, Stalock, & Jones are the guys of the future for their respective teams; Pens are only getting them with a huge overpayment.

Miller wants a big contract $6 million per with term (6-7 years).

Anderson is not good, and I think the Pens trade pieces especially picks would be better spent on forwards not Reimer.

The goalie market is not good so far this offseason.

Peters is a UFA this summer, and Khudobin is Carolina's future in goal. Present, too. Stalock might be San Jose's future, but they have to commit to him first, since he's a UFA. If he is their future, I'd like to acquire Niemi for us. Jones isn't LA's future, he's LA's future trade bait. Quick is their present and future.

The goalie market may not be great this off-season, but our current starter should be a non-starter as far as keeping him goes. He needs a change of scenery almost as much as we need to be rid of him.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
The pick of Fleury in the first round, first overall in the 2003 draft was such a waste.

The guy backstopped the Pens to a third cup. The Pens should just dump him and move on. But don't pretend like winning a third cup was a "waste".

BobCole

May 21, 2014
If I'm going out of my way to sign a FA goalie AND find a way to trade MAF, I better be getting a clear upgrade on Fleury. 99% of the ideas posted here are magic bean solutions (a bunch of guys listed with not even a single NHL season to speak for).

Hiller is one name I've seen mentioned that I wouldn't mind entertaining, but a lot of "ifs" would need to work out perfectly in order for that to materialize. Halak was another, but he's gone.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Some ufa guys,

Stalock

Peters

Miller

Miller?!?!? If you think Fleury is bad in the playoffs, Miller is an absolute trainwreck. Even if the money was right - which we both know it won't be - I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of the home locker room in Consol.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Some just want anyone but Fleury. Me, either find me someone better or find a better system to play in front of the one you know.

Other than Miller, I see no one who is absolutely better. Hiller is close, but you need to pay him less or you didn't help anything.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Some just want anyone but Fleury. Me, either find me someone better or find a better system to play in front of the one you know.

Other than Miller, I see no one who is absolutely better. Hiller is close, but you need to pay him less or you didn't help anything.

I'm happy just to pay someone like Reimer less.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Miller?!?!? If you think Fleury is bad in the playoffs, Miller is an absolute trainwreck. Even if the money was right - which we both know it won't be - I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of the home locker room in Consol.

He has only had one playoff year with a lower SV% than Fleury's career average in the playoffs, and that was the series against Chicago about a month ago. People need to let go of their emotional attachment to Fleury. If he was a UFA, would you want to sign him for $5M per year?

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
I don't want Fleury either but only if we are getting a goalie that has a lower cap hit. I would not move him only to pay Miller more than what were paying MAF.

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
I guess I'm down with getting Reimer and buying out Fleury since people have kept saying that real money is not a problem and buying out 5M is no big deal. But I don't want to give up a lot to get Reimer. If you offer sheet him for more than 3.5 or something, the compensation is a 1st round pick and I don't want to give that up for an only okay goalie whose main appeal is being a little cheaper than Fleury. What could TOR want in a Reimer RFA rights trade?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
It's a question of timing, really. With both Maatta and Pouliot out until December/January, we may have to keep Scuderi.

Re: Niskanen, so we're going to re-sign a defenseman...who is considered the No. 1 UFA D-man on the market? This doesn't make any sense. He's going to get 6-8 years and $5-6 million/year. Somebody will give him crazy money. A good comparable for Niskanen is James Wisniewski, who signed a six-year deal at $5.5 million in 2011.

Would you give Niskanen six years, $5.5 million per? I know I wouldn't. And he'll likely get even more because Wisniewski's deal was three years ago.

There's no way it makes any sense to go after the No. 1 defenseman on the UFA market. None whatsoever.

There is no way you keep scuds on this team. Even if Maata and Pouliett don't play next year, you have Martin, Letang, Borts, Depres, Harrington, samuelson England. There is no way any one can justify keeping non-productive Scuds on this at 3.4MM. If you think his production will increase, then I will sell you any bridge in Pgh for a case of beer. This is the #1 item on the next GM's list, GET RID OF SCUDS.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There is no way you keep scuds on this team. Even if Maata and Pouliett don't play next year, you have Martin, Letang, Borts, Depres, Harrington, samuelson England. There is no way any one can justify keeping non-productive Scuds on this at 3.4MM. If you think his production will increase, then I will sell you any bridge in Pgh for a case of beer. This is the #1 item on the next GM's list, GET RID OF SCUDS.

I mostly agree with what you're saying but -- dude -- come on.

Maatta
Pouliot
Despres
Samuelsson
Engelland

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
What is worth giving up for Kesler considering that he only has one year left on his contract? No guarantee that he would sign, and his best years are past.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
scratch Elliott off the list. Signed with the Blues yesterday.

No offense but if Elliot was on anyone's list, they need to go back to list school. He looks OK under Ken Hitchcock's system and STL's crazy-deep Defense. Here he would look like ****.

How about trying to sign Swedish forward Joakim Lindström who has been the best player in the swedish elite league the last few years? Kind of like how Boston picked up Carl Soderberg.

I'm all for raiding the SEL but first we have to have good scouts. I'm not convinced we do. See also: knucklheads like Don Wadell.

Hiller is a downgrade and is just as bad or worse in the playoffs so far.

Nope. I don't ever recall Hiller flopping all over the place during the playoffs, having a mental breakdown. He's not all-world or anything but he would be a good stop-gap until we can either develop our own goalie (Jarry) or sign a better one. He's arguably only had one subpar playoff year and that was last year. He can be better than Fleury while being less expensive (no guarantee someone will offer him a $5M+ contract). Maybe not a lot better, but better and right now that's good enough.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What is worth giving up for Kesler considering that he only has one year left on his contract? No guarantee that he would sign, and his best years are past.

He has two years left, played a ton of wing last season and lead the team in goals. He's not what he was 3 years ago. But this version is still a very good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad