Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part IV* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 6/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't like his decision to not come over this year. Contrary to what he said about a tough roster, it probably would've been easier to make the team this year than next due to salary cap restrictions. Finally, his (lack of) language excuse is weak - he was drafted two years ago, been here at summer camp and if you're serious about coming over - you start learning English right away whenever you're not practicing hockey.

But, we are talking about just one year and in the context of a lifelong career - this is a not a major issue for a 21-year old.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Two things that come to mind: better educational system in Scandanavia. Part of that: as far as I remember, kids learn English early on there whereas they don't learn it at all in Russia (Scandanavian posters, please tell me if that's apocryphal).

The other is that, while both are Indo-European languages, Scandanivian languages share more in common with Germanic languages than they do with Russian. The sounds you have to use line up better. This is a sweeping generalization, but I feel like it's basically accurate.

I don't think it's a better educational system per se. I mean, maybe, but it's not because they teach English in Scandinavia. There's more to education than teaching English. But yes, I have a Swedish friend who said they learn English at a young age in school.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I don't think it's a better educational system per se. I mean, maybe, but it's not because they teach English in Scandinavia. There's more to education than teaching English. But yes, I have a Swedish friend who said they learn English at a young age in school.

The fact that Sweden and Norway make it a point to force kids to learn a second language makes the system better by default. In America we are told English and America are number one, so **** everyone else. Totally off topic but, the American education system is ****ing awful. I wasn't even offered a second language until 7th grade, which was optional, and this was 15 years ago at a pretty well funded school system in our area. Russia is the same way I'm sure since it's all about the Motherland there, just like here.

FWIW Sweden and Norway are both English as a second language nations, Finland's is Swedish, but I'm sure they learn English as well.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
The fact that Sweden and Norway make it a point to force kids to learn a second language makes the system better by default. In America we are told English and America are number one, so **** everyone else. Totally off topic but, the American education system is ****ing awful. I wasn't even offered a second language until 7th grade, which was optional, and this was 15 years ago at a pretty well funded school system in our area. Russia is the same way I'm sure since it's all about the Motherland there, just like here.

FWIW Sweden and Norway are both English as a second language nations, Finland's is Swedish, but I'm sure they learn English as well.

I'm swedish and yes, when I went to elementary school it was mandatory to learn english when you started the fourth grade and then in high school it was mandatory to choose either german or french so it's mandatory to study two languages here.

on the other hand I understand why you're not forced to study languages, english works in pretty much the entire world. Swedish works in norway, sweden and somewhat in finland and denmark so we need to learn atleast english.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Don't understand all the fuss about that interview, I mean, those talks about agents and language problems are just details, the big picture is that he doesn't have the confidence to cross the pond at this moment, therefore gaining that confidence via KHL/NT sounds the right solution to me.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Why would he come over this year knowing he's not making the top 6, and when put into the bottom 6 pool, it's very likely you're going to sit in the press box and watch this BS all night?

867842523.0.gif

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I'm excited to see what he can do this year. 4th season (3rd full season) in the KHL and he doesn't turn 21 until April.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Seems like a lot of our Swedish and Finnish friends speak English really well at a young age (At least it seems like that when I listen to the interviews of hockey players :laugh:). Is there a particular reason for this? Russian players are noticeably less fluent.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but its a legitimate question I had considering the language barrier posts.

Growing up English wasn't an option to learn. But in all fairness we we're taught to hate everything that wasn't Russia. :laugh: Also English is surprisingly a very hard language to learn

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Growing up English wasn't an option to learn. But in all fairness we we're taught to hate everything that wasn't Russia. :laugh: Also English is surprisingly a very hard language to learn

It's because English is really a blended language, based on languages from multiple language groups. It's why it doesn't seem to follow rules well.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Can we go back to talking about how Buchnevich is a clown for not wanting to ride the bus in the A and not being fluent in english?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can we go back to talking about how Buchnevich is a clown for not wanting to ride the bus in the A and not being fluent in english?

Okay, here's one of my observations.

I'm kind of amused that we don't even wait for our players to play a professional game in North America now before we start jumping down their throats.

At this rate I give us about three more years before we start complaining about their speed and agility as their lacing up a pair of skates for the first time.

But on a serious note, the kid's fine. His development will be fine. Barring a serious injury, which can happen anywhere, another season in the KHL is not going to be the deciding factor in whether he becomes a successful NHL player.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Okay, here's one of my observations.

I'm kind of amused that we don't even wait for our players to play a professional game in North America now before we start jumping down their throats.

At this rate I give us about three more years before we start complaining about their speed and agility as their lacing up a pair of skates for the first time.

But on a serious note, the kid's fine. His development will be fine. Barring a serious injury, which can happen anywhere, another season in the KHL is not going to be the deciding factor in whether he becomes a successful NHL player.

There's the money factor too. He'd make what.. a 92K bonus and 60k to play in the A?

He could make 2-3x times that easily in Russia. He was his team's top player for a good chunk of the year as a 19 yearold.

I just hope he comes to the Rookie camp and at least gets a little familiar with the organization. I'm more interested in him gaining more traction and maturing physically.

I think he'll be an instant impact player.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Hey buddy....tomorrow your going to RUSSIA, not knowing the language. Are you READY? You will be a complete OUTSIDER and know nothing....can you handle it?

Dont ****ing judge other people..especially a 20 year old when you would NEVER be able to do what he is expected to. Stop embarassing yourself.
I still don't understand what the purpose of this post was in the slightest

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still don't understand what the purpose of this post was in the slightest

I've read it about 10 times now, and I'm not sure if it was intended to quote someone else, if it's some sort of reference I didn't get, or if the poster was drunk.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's the money factor too. He'd make what.. a 92K bonus and 60k to play in the A?

He could make 2-3x times that easily in Russia. He was his team's top player for a good chunk of the year as a 19 yearold.

I just hope he comes to the Rookie camp and at least gets a little familiar with the organization. I'm more interested in him gaining more traction and maturing physically.

I think he'll be an instant impact player.

Personally, I thought the NHL was going to be a reach for him this year - and my reasoning was pretty similar to his with regards to strength.

Maybe that's why I am not bothered by him spending a year in the KHL. I think it will serve him well.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Personally, I thought the NHL was going to be a reach for him this year - and my reasoning was pretty similar to his with regards to strength.

Maybe that's why I am not bothered by him spending a year in the KHL. I think it will serve him well.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that another year in the KHL will serve is development well. Gives him time to finetune his offensive tips and tricks. However, he can still use work in his own end. However, the KHL usually isn't known for developing strong two-way hockey players.

I disagree in the sense that I believe the NHL would have been a reach this season. I don't think that he would be on the opening night roster, but he would certainly be at the top of the list when it comes to call ups from Hartford. I outlined this in another thread, but our right wing depth without St.Louis is as follows...

Zuccarello
Miller
Fast
Bourque/Lindberg/Hrivik/Haggerty

There definitely would have been ample opportunity for Buchnevich to get NHL games. Fast is barely ready to take on 3rd line minutes (IMO), and is injury prone. The 4th line depth is a mish mosh of rookies. Definitely a lot of opportunities. If St.Louis is let go (which he should be), the Rangers need to fill that hole.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Yeah I don't have a problem with it. I would have liked to seen him come over simply because the Rangers lack forward depth with MSL heading out and he's a logical replacement for that skill gap. But injury aside, he isn't harming himself by staying in Russia.

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
Yeah I don't have a problem with it. I would have liked to seen him come over simply because the Rangers lack forward depth with MSL heading out and he's a logical replacement for that skill gap. But injury aside, he isn't harming himself by staying in Russia.

Not to mention the fact that there is no Russian presence on the team to help him acclimate to North America. There's only about 25 full time russian players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille