Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part III* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Duclair with 2 goals and 2 assists. Graves got a goal too.

Tambellini scored 2 goals and an assist. He's been 100% on fire lately.

Yup, Tambellini has had a nice little run going:

Last 12 Games: 15G - 9A - 24P

3rd in goals and 8th in points in the WHL.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Watched the end of the Minnesota-Wisco game tonight. Great game. NCAA needs to adopt the shootout league wide already. Grant Besse always impresses me...had a legendary 4 goal performance in the MN HS state championship game a few years back. Don't know if he got drafted.

On topic, Skjei really impressed per usual. His skating is elite. Hopefully his smarts continue to develop...he is much more McDonagh than John Moore at the NCAA level, hopefully that continues as he moves up the ranks.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For anyone interested, I just got back from the Portland-Everett game tonight. First things first, let me just say that I regret having waited so long to check out one of these games. It was a great time. Over 10,000 people in the arena and they were loud for a very entertaining game that ended 6-3 in favor of Portland with an empty netter and a lot of back and forth play.

I'm afraid I don't have much groundbreaking news on any of the prospects, just confirmation on what we already seem to know.

Our guy Iverson didn't stand out at all. He made a couple of good defensive plays, and certainly seemed to be a somewhat intimidating presence on the ice, but that was about it. I liked his motor, but not so much his speed, and I didn't really see much else in his game that distinguished him from the rest of the guys.

The Hawks first line though, holy ****. Nic Petan centering Oliver Bjorkstrand and and 2015 eligible Paul Bittner were completely dominant. Bjorkstrand had 6 points (3G, 3A) but Petan was clearly the best player on the ice (he had a modest 1G, 4A night). Those two displayed amazing chemistry, speed and skill and were just impossible to contain. Really fun to watch. I'll be curious to see how high Bittner goes this year and whether or not him riding shotgun with Petan/Bjorkstrand will elevate him any higher than he deserves.

Chase de Leo snagged a couple of late goals, one on a sweet deflection of a Petan pass and the other the empty netter. He didn't have a great game outside of that though.

The best player on Everett was Habs draft pick Nikita Scherbak. He looked really good with the puck, but I couldn't shake the image of Evgeny Grachev the entire time I was watching him.

All in all I had a great time, and I recommend catching a Dub game if you ever get the chance.

richardsequalscup*

I don't see Petan or Bjorkstrand doing much at the NHL level. Petan is tiny and he's not a guy that is going to beat many NHL defenseman. Bjorkstrand is soft and at best, he's 170 pounds. I'd rather have Tambellini than either of them by a mile. Tambellini was a bean pole when he was drafted. He's slowly filling out his frame. After a couple of AHL seasons the Rangers might be looking at a 6'3, 200 pound kid with finishing skills.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Butcher is a bit behind Tara offensively in both the KHL and the WJC, but Tara is just a beast. At 22, he's a point per game player and improving. I am pretty confident that one of Butcher or Duke becomes a 60-70 point first liner.

Yeah and it's dangerous to make comparisions of production at a certain age like his. I mean it's all about environment etc, if you are a very good young 18 y/o RW it matters a lot if you get PP time or not, and if you get PP time or not could to a big extent depend on who you have infront of you in the lineup.

I don't necessarily think Tarasenko was this super mega standout out of the KHL -- the biggest aspect here is how well Tarasenko has developed the last couple of years. He is a very good prospect who has developed very well from 19-22.

Buch is a tad behind him as a prospect, biggest question from my POV is however if he can have the same curve from 20-22 ...

richardsequalscup*

I really liked Fogarty's defensive play in his own zone at the end of the game. Very unselfish.

Also didnt realize he was the captain for Notre Dame

Fogarty has absolutely no offensive skills. Thus, I don't see him ever making the pro's.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't see Petan or Bjorkstrand doing much at the NHL level. Petan is tiny and he's not a guy that is going to beat many NHL defenseman. Bjorkstrand is soft and at best, he's 170 pounds. I'd rather have Tambellini than either of them by a mile. Tambellini was a bean pole when he was drafted. He's slowly filling out his frame. After a couple of AHL seasons the Rangers might be looking at a 6'3, 200 pound kid with finishing skills.

Fogarty has absolutely no offensive skills. Thus, I don't see him ever making the pro's.

Just curious to wonder if you think any prospect will make the pros.... :shakehead

If you think that Bjorkstrand and Petan won't be a pro, you're obviously not paying attention. First off, they're not 170lbs. They weigh more than that. Second, what is your definition of "soft". Bjorkstrand is just as physical out there than most and still comes away with the puck. Third, they're on absolute fire in the WHL on a sub par Portland team. They've been creating most of the offense for them. Forth, did you even watch the WJC? Both Petan and Bjorkstrand put up more than a point per game in the tourney, as well as their seasons with Portland right now and in years past. Fifth, Petan has the same height and nearly the same weight as Mats Zuccarello and he's still growing. Plays a close style to Mats, as well.

They aren't NHLers yet, but they most definitely will be if they keep this production up and based off their development so far will most likely guarantee success at the NHL level.

You seem new to HF, but just note next time you post your opinion about facts to not follow it up with ******** reasons like he's too tiny. There are guys that are in the NHL that are tiny. :shakehead

As for Tambo, I agree with you that he does seem to be filling out into his body, but nothing is for certain with him, yet. I would rather have Petan or Bjorkstrand by a mile. They've put up better production and finishing touches way before he was. He's had a tough/weird development so far so I'm not sold on him so soon, but he is on a nice scoring tear.

The inquiry on Fogarty is just dumb. Just because a player has no offensive skills (which is not entirely true with Fogarty), doesn't mean he's a useless prospect. Defensive skills are just as important as offensive skills to any team. You're not going to win games solely on offense. That's why Fogarty is here and actually is developing quite nicely. He also has leadership skills, which is a bonus.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just curious to wonder if you think any prospect will make the pros.... :shakehead

If you think that Bjorkstrand and Petan won't be a pro, you're obviously not paying attention. First off, they're not 170lbs. They weigh more than that. Second, what is your definition of "soft". Bjorkstrand is just as physical out there than most and still comes away with the puck. Third, they're on absolute fire in the WHL on a sub par Portland team. They've been creating most of the offense for them. Forth, did you even watch the WJC? Both Petan and Bjorkstrand put up more than a point per game in the tourney, as well as their seasons with Portland right now and in years past. Fifth, Petan has the same height and nearly the same weight as Mats Zuccarello and he's still growing. Plays a close style to Mats, as well.

They aren't NHLers yet, but they most definitely will be if they keep this production up and based off their development so far will most likely guarantee success at the NHL level.

You seem new to HF, but just note next time you post your opinion about facts to not follow it up with ******** reasons like he's too tiny. There are guys that are in the NHL that are tiny. :shakehead

As for Tambo, I agree with you that he does seem to be filling out into his body, but nothing is for certain with him, yet. I would rather have Petan or Bjorkstrand by a mile. They've put up better production and finishing touches way before he was. He's had a tough/weird development so far so I'm not sold on him so soon, but he is on a nice scoring tear.

The inquiry on Fogarty is just dumb. Just because a player has no offensive skills (which is not entirely true with Fogarty), doesn't mean he's a useless prospect. Defensive skills are just as important as offensive skills to any team. You're not going to win games solely on offense. That's why Fogarty is here and actually is developing quite nicely. He also has leadership skills, which is a bonus.

Pretty much I agree but I do have a caveat. Generally small size doesn't usually work very well for NHL defensemen. There are plenty of smaller forwards but for defensemen even the under 6' guy is going to need to get to at least 185 lbs. It's tougher for them. There are times when they are going to have to handle really big guys one on one. Skating and guile can help a lot but a defenseman needs some size and strength too. Defensemen take a lot of abuse in traffic areas. On the typical shoot in for example he turns his back to the play and on a typical shoot in--the idea for the forward is to get in on the enemy d-man fast and if the forward doesn't get to the puck first the idea is he gets a hit on the d-man and takes it away.

There are not that many smaller goalies either. Comparatively speaking to other NHL goalies Lundqvist is probably one of the smaller goalies in the league.

BarbaraAlphanse

Watched the end of the Minnesota-Wisco game tonight. Great game. NCAA needs to adopt the shootout league wide already. Grant Besse always impresses me...had a legendary 4 goal performance in the MN HS state championship game a few years back. Don't know if he got drafted.

On topic, Skjei really impressed per usual. His skating is elite. Hopefully his smarts continue to develop...he is much more McDonagh than John Moore at the NCAA level, hopefully that continues as he moves up the ranks.

That's exciting. I think he should have been in the AHL this year. The 6th D spot was his to take by years end.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Tambo's stats by month this year:

SEPTEMBER TOTALS 2-1-3 in 2 GP
OCTOBER TOTALS 6-4-10 in 12 GP
NOVEMBER TOTALS 6-9-15 in 13 GP
DECEMBER TOTALS 8-3-11 in 9 GP
JANUARY TOTALS 15-9-24 in 14 GP

Overall points per game are now up to 1.26, but take a look at the goals - he's averaged a goal per game over the last two months.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I never said he did. All I did was comment on his defensive play at the end of the game. And provide the facts that he had two goals in the game.

And though I doubt he makes the NHL, providing offense isnt the only way you make it to the NHL. His ceiling imo is a 4th line center. He has decent size on him and showed a lot of smarts in his own end last night. But again doesnt mean he will or wont make it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Tambo's stats by month this year:

SEPTEMBER TOTALS 2-1-3 in 2 GP
OCTOBER TOTALS 6-4-10 in 12 GP
NOVEMBER TOTALS 6-9-15 in 13 GP
DECEMBER TOTALS 8-3-11 in 9 GP
JANUARY TOTALS 15-9-24 in 14 GP

Overall points per game are now up to 1.26, but take a look at the goals - he's averaged a goal per game over the last two months.

He was essentially a point per game player in the juniors until he went hot in January. A point per game at his age at this level is bad for a forward. It sounds good, but it's not. Even his goals per game is what Michael St. Croix's were at the same age, so that shows you that it doesn't necessarily translate to the pros - St. Croix isn't even a dominant goal scorer in the ECHL, much less the NHL.

Every player is different, so let's see if Tambo can keep up anything close to the January scoring pace and develop an overall game that St. Croix failed to create.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Quebec Remparts are having a skills competition today. Graves easily won the shot comp with two attempts at 102 MPH. As a comparison, at the all star game Shea Weber won with 108,5 MPH but the second highest was Ovechkin with 101,4 MPH.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
very impressive for a 19 year old. hes gonna be beating shea weber in the slapshot comp in all star games for years to come.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
He was essentially a point per game player in the juniors until he went hot in January. A point per game at his age at this level is bad for a forward. It sounds good, but it's not. Even his goals per game is what Michael St. Croix's were at the same age, so that shows you that it doesn't necessarily translate to the pros - St. Croix isn't even a dominant goal scorer in the ECHL, much less the NHL.

Every player is different, so let's see if Tambo can keep up anything close to the January scoring pace and develop an overall game that St. Croix failed to create.

There's a lot of things to like about Tambellini. His wrist shot is pro level and he gets a lot on it. He's big and tall and has a very long reach. He's improved tremendously on the defensive side of the puck and is thriving as Calgary's 1C with Virtanen on his wing. He's not exactly a physically dominant player but he's strong, Trxjw compared his body type to Malkin and I agree. He's a good skater and has greatly improved at ES. I don't like complaining that he's an OA because this is only his 2nd year in the WHL.

Good prospect, excited to see how he does in the pros.

There's more to hockey than traditional stat watching.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

St Croix was undersized and lacked a defensive game. Tambellini has good size and has a much improved defensive game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Walcott is really underrated on this board. I think he tops out as a bottom pair 2nd PP kind of guy but I like his chances at getting there.

His lack of size is a legitimate concern but he's pretty damn physical despite that. He'll get a chance to bulk up a bit (still just 19) but he doesn't have to play at 190, he has the wheels and elusiveness to get away with being a bit lighter. Fancy stat guys will love him too.

Quebec Remparts are having a skills competition today. Graves easily won the shot comp with two attempts at 102 MPH. As a comparison, at the all star game Shea Weber won with 108,5 MPH but the second highest was Ovechkin with 101,4 MPH.

Good lord :amazed:

I knew he could rip it but I didn't think he had that in him. If he can get more comfortable shooting off the pass at a stand still hes going to be a legit PP trigger guy. Really glad the Remparts are putting him in a position to develop that part of his game.

His development curve has been everything I was hoping to see out of McIlrath.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Walcott is 20. He's an overager.

I really like his game too. Super slick with the puck, great possession player, awesome wheels. It's his size that scares me, and it's a legitimate concern. He's got time to put weight on though.

Good lord :amazed:

I knew he could rip it but I didn't think he had that in him. If he can get more comfortable shooting off the pass at a stand still hes going to be a legit PP trigger guy. Really glad the Remparts are putting him in a position to develop that part of his game.

His development curve has been everything I was hoping to see out of McIlrath.

I agree with this somewhat. This is better than I expected from Graves.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As a 4th round pick, hes exceeded everyone's expectations.

Graves has improved literally every facet of his game since being drafted. Can you really say that about McIlrath? I don't think you can.

It really isn't fair to compare the two as they were drafted three seasons apart but if you compare their age 19 seasons? It's not even remotely close. McIlrath is tougher and a faster straight line skater but outside of those two things (and experience), Graves has McIlrath beat in every other area IMO (some pretty handily too.)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Graves also won the shootout contest with two goals.

Duclair was the fastest skater but not by much:

1. Anthony Duclair : 14.53 seconds
2. Massimo Carozza : 14.65 seconds
3. Dmytro Timashov : 14.81 seconds

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Walcott fits into that Reijo/Maciver/Hawgood/Letang category of undersized skilled defensemen where you're willing to give up defensive shortcoming for an accurate shot and slick passing ability.

But then you have guys like Gilroy who clearly took advantage of an age gap and struggled to make up for his defensive issues.

He doesn't have a cannon like Ryan Ellis or Paul Coffey but he's definitely got skills and can hit.

I still they they need to draft a couple of dmen in June. I would say draft an Euro D like Siegenthaler or Jesper Lindgren although Siegenthaler won't be around between 54-60.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Walcott fits into that Reijo/Maciver/Hawgood/Letang category of undersized skilled defensemen where you're willing to give up defensive shortcoming for an accurate shot and slick passing ability.

But then you have guys like Gilroy who clearly took advantage of an age gap and struggled to make up for his defensive issues.

He doesn't have a cannon like Ryan Ellis or Paul Coffey but he's definitely got skills and can hit.

I still they they need to draft a couple of dmen in June. I would say draft an Euro D like Siegenthaler or Jesper Lindgren although Siegenthaler won't be around between 54-60.

Letang is 6' and 200 lbs.

I was looking today at NHL rosters and there were 33 defensemen listed under 6' on NHL rosters (or about one per team)--that includes Kimmo Timonen (who hasn't played a game this year), Adam Clendening (whom I'm not sure has played either) and Keith Ballard (whose career may be over due to concussions). Of those 33 only two were listed under 5'10--Torey Krug and Jared Spurgeon both at 5'9. Only four of them listed under 180 lbs.--Ryan Murphy 176--Ryan Ellis--175, Spurgeon--176 and Kris Russell--173. I expect Murphy and Ellis both young guys will eventually hit 180 anyway. The majority of the 5-10 and 5-11 guys are in the 190--190+ range. A few of them are over 200 lbs.--James Wisniewski, Ballard, Kevin Shattenkirk, Yanick Weber.

The Rangers have two--Dan Boyle and Matt Hunwick both list at 5'11--190 lbs.

So Walcott if he's really at 5-11--165 lbs (as his QMHL team lists him this year) has got some weight he's going to need to put on. Expecting him to come to camp 20 lbs. heavier is a really, really big reach. Next year if he signs with us he'll be either in Hartford or Greenville and not only will he need more weight--he'll be playing against pros who are mostly older than him--not CHL'ers who are mostly younger than him. For me to start believing in him he's going to have to start proving it next year--what he's doing now doesn't mean all that much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad