Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part III* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
1/30 7pm Eastern on NHL N Erie v Kingston
2/1 3pm E Erie v 67s. NHL N
2/6 10:30 pm E Winterhawks v Thunderbirds on Root Sports NW
2/7 Noon E Remparts v Cataracts NHL N

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Severstal is in the middle of a huge comeback against Slavat Yulaev, they were down 3-0 in the 2nd period and it's now 5-4 Severstal.

Our favorite Russian has a primary assist and a penalty shot goal, with the PS goal being the tying goal.

And with these two points, Buchnevich has surpassed Tarasenko for the 3rd best U20 season in KHL history.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Severstal won 5-4. Haven't seen much of them lately.

Quite a slick PS goal, would like to see how he drew the penalty: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/280149

On the assist, I have no idea how that puck ended up in the back of the net, but Buchnevich definitely knows how to protect it when getting pressure: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/280077

The thing about him is, he could be in the stat sheet far more often. He creates so many chances, draws so many penalties. It's just that the points refuse to show up.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Walcott had a very nice night with 2 goals, an assist, and 6 hits. His team lost though.

Calgary are currently POUNDING Prince Albert 7-0 (the third period just started as of this post), Tambellini has 2 goals, 2 assists, and 5 shots. He's had a really nice streak lately.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Two assists for Skjei in an absolutely wild matchup against Wisconsin. One of the best games I've seen in a long time.

Skjei's skating continues to make him a standout. Looks like he'll be a good fit in AV's system.

richardsequalscup*

Walcott, Graves and Skjei are all very exciting defenseman. Problem is that clown Sather keeps giving no trade clauses to every freakin player he signs. He needs to stop doing that. When these kids are ready, they will be blocked by idiotic contracts like Staal's and Girardi's.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm a little surprised as well. I know Liiga isn't a super-high-scoring league, but I still would have guessed he'd post some better numbers. I know he has missed time on at least two or three occasions with little injuries though, so maybe it's just one of "those" years where nothing goes right. Hopefully he comes over for a look in the fall. He looked good when he was here prior to the season.

Not as surprisingly, Zamorsky changed teams today. Swedish Örebro will take over is contract from Espoo.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/orebro/article20247911.ab

I think this is great news given the situation he is in. I also think the SHL is a better league for him. He get to work more on his strength here, and can fix his flaws in the AHL.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Walcott, Graves and Skjei are all very exciting defenseman. Problem is that clown Sather keeps giving no trade clauses to every freakin player he signs. He needs to stop doing that. When these kids are ready, they will be blocked by idiotic contracts like Staal's and Girardi's.

How about we see if these kids can make it to the NHL first before we slot them in as first or second pair defensemen?

Boyle has 1 year left on his contract and I doubt he'll be re-signed after that. This could be John Moore's last year with the Rangers. There will be spots if the kids come in and earn them.

And since when has an NTC ever stopped someone from being traded? Very rarely. If and when Girardi or Staal need to be traded, it won't be an issue. Or maybe you'd rather we let them both go and play a bunch of unproven kids.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Severstal won 5-4. Haven't seen much of them lately.

Quite a slick PS goal, would like to see how he drew the penalty: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/280149

On the assist, I have no idea how that puck ended up in the back of the net, but Buchnevich definitely knows how to protect it when getting pressure: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/280077

The thing about him is, he could be in the stat sheet far more often. He creates so many chances, draws so many penalties. It's just that the points refuse to show up.

This is the penalty:

http://video.khl.ru/quotes/280153

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
How about we see if these kids can make it to the NHL first before we slot them in as first or second pair defensemen?

Boyle has 1 year left on his contract and I doubt he'll be re-signed after that. This could be John Moore's last year with the Rangers. There will be spots if the kids come in and earn them.

And since when has an NTC ever stopped someone from being traded? Very rarely. If and when Girardi or Staal need to be traded, it won't be an issue. Or maybe you'd rather we let them both go and play a bunch of unproven kids.

Well said.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Buchnevich plays with a lot of swagger/confidence. Can't really teach that. Once he rounds out his game a little he should be a handy player for us. He's not in the same league as the high end Russians (despite what stats might say), but he's got top 6 potential without a doubt. Hopefully he isn't a stubborn headcase like so many Russians that have come before him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Walcott had a very nice night with 2 goals, an assist, and 6 hits. His team lost though.

Calgary are currently POUNDING Prince Albert 7-0 (the third period just started as of this post), Tambellini has 2 goals, 2 assists, and 5 shots. He's had a really nice streak lately.

Tambo's 35 goals in 49 games is solidly in 3rd place in goals scored in the WHL, 6 behind Sanford, 5 behind Chartier and 3 ahead of Bjorkstrand (although to be fair to him, he has played ten fewer games). And he's now only one goal short of a goal per game pace since the start of December.

Also, he's gone from a -3 player last year to a +35 player this year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Always remember what GMs say: there can never be enough defensemen.

When was the last time we had too many defensemen? Five years ago we thought we were overflowing with blueline prospects, yet we still needed to acquire guys like Stralman/Boyle, Klein, Moore, Diaz/Hunwick to shore up our defense. I want to see Walcott make the Wolf Pack next season before we talk about him replacing Staal on the second pair.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Buchnevich plays with a lot of swagger/confidence. Can't really teach that. Once he rounds out his game a little he should be a handy player for us. He's not in the same league as the high end Russians (despite what stats might say), but he's got top 6 potential without a doubt. Hopefully he isn't a stubborn headcase like so many Russians that have come before him.

Based on what?

He's putting up similar points on a pretty shallow team from what I can tell. What about him makings him a league lower than those guys?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Butcher is a bit behind Tara offensively in both the KHL and the WJC, but Tara is just a beast. At 22, he's a point per game player and improving. I am pretty confident that one of Butcher or Duke becomes a 60-70 point first liner.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Based on what?

He's putting up similar points on a pretty shallow team from what I can tell. What about him makings him a league lower than those guys?

Well, he's definitely behind generational Russians like Ovechkin and Malkin... that's not even disputable. Then there are the second tier Russians like Pavel Datsyuk and Tarasenko. Tarasenko's hands are at least as good Buchnevich's (probably better) and he's built like a freaking bull and plays like one. Buchnevich is more of a lanky finesse type player like most Russians with a slight mean streak. I hate to bring up Zherdev... but that's probably the best comparison for him. Zherdev had better hands whereas Buchnevich is more physical and not as much of a perimeter player.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
That said, I think both Buchnevich and Duclair top out at about 60-65 points. Maybe hit 70 in the odd season with the right linemates

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well, he's definitely behind generational Russians like Ovechkin and Malkin... that's not even disputable. Then there are the second tier Russians like Pavel Datsyuk and Tarasenko. Tarasenko's hands are at least as good Buchnevich's (probably better) and he's built like a freaking bull and plays like one. Buchnevich is more of a lanky finesse type player like most Russians with a slight mean streak. I hate to bring up Zherdev... but that's probably the best comparison for him. Zherdev had better hands whereas Buchnevich is more physical and not as much of a perimeter player.

Intersting, thanks for the the additional info. I don't get to watch him regularly at all, so any bonus info is appreciated.

Never thought he was a OV/Malkin talent, or even a Datsyuk talent. I assumed by top tier russians you meant Tarasenko and Kutz since both recently tore up the KHL. I hope Buch will be able to carve out his own niche while still being productive. He doesn't need to be Tarasenko, and I hope to god he won't be Zherdev, I'd like to see him be his own player, which he is from what I've seen of him. He appears to be very, very dangerous in close to the net.

richardsequalscup*

Walcott with 1 A, +3 today. Now 40 GM, 6 G, 25 A, +19 and the captain of his team. Always matching up against the other teams best forwards. Shown absolutely no respect on this board when people rate our prospects. Could easily be one of our top 3 prospects. If the kid can add 15-20 pounds over the next couple years and keep his speed, this kid has a lof of Rafalski in him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Two assists for Skjei in an absolutely wild matchup against Wisconsin. One of the best games I've seen in a long time.

Skjei's skating continues to make him a standout. Looks like he'll be a good fit in AV's system.

I can't with a straight face make this claim anymore because it seems like the best fit in AV's system according to AV is Tanner Glass.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Just snagged a free ticket to the Winterhawks game tonight. Looking forward to getting an up close look at Iverson (in addition to the actual good players on the Hawks...). I report on what I see here later.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Duclair with 2 goals and 2 assists. Graves got a goal too.

Tambellini scored 2 goals and an assist. He's been 100% on fire lately.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I really liked Fogarty's defensive play in his own zone at the end of the game. Very unselfish.

Also didnt realize he was the captain for Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad