2014-2015 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Its pretty idiotic to let a team tank so much on purpose as the Sabres do for McDavid. Such obvious tanking shouldn't be allowed. Trading half of their key players for picks and a players who's out 4-6 months.. ****ing Buffalol!

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Its pretty idiotic to let a team tank so much on purpose as the Oilers do for McDavid. Such obvious tanking shouldn't be allowed. Trading half of their key players for picks and a players who's out 4-6 months.. ****ing Buffalol!

Phil Kessel is trying to put-tank everyone. "Fly-by" Phil is apparently his new nickname for just flying by the other team's forwards and not play D.

Matt Barnaby says they Should bench him for a torn "heart-ilage."

Ouch.

Come to Florida! Clearly he wants to get out of town.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If there was a way to add Kessel, without giving up our main youngsters, we would be a cup contender next year. I have no doubt in my mind that a 35g/ppg player added to the talent on this team, with a tweak or two in the offseason, would set us up for the rest of the decade. We have enough veteran leadership in the locker room to straighten him out, as well as enough centers to cover him defensively. I really dont see him as a major locker room problem, less so than Kane, and I would love if we could trade for him. He fits that player that Tallon is looking for, which is a top scoring winger signed to a long term deal already. The guy lives in Florida in the offseason, and has had kind words to say about us before...c'mon, its a match made in heaven.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Its pretty idiotic to let a team tank so much on purpose as the Sabres do for McDavid. Such obvious tanking shouldn't be allowed. Trading half of their key players for picks and a players who's out 4-6 months.. ****ing Buffalol!

Well the Sens did get in trouble for that in the early 90s. I'm just not sure how obvious is obvious enough.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If there was a way to add Kessel, without giving up our main youngsters, we would be a cup contender next year. I have no doubt in my mind that a 35g/ppg player added to the talent on this team, with a tweak or two in the offseason, would set us up for the rest of the decade. We have enough veteran leadership in the locker room to straighten him out, as well as enough centers to cover him defensively. I really dont see him as a major locker room problem, less so than Kane, and I would love if we could trade for him. He fits that player that Tallon is looking for, which is a top scoring winger signed to a long term deal already. The guy lives in Florida in the offseason, and has had kind words to say about us before...c'mon, its a match made in heaven.
We'd have to jettison some contracts to cover the $8M. Not sure he's worth the cost.

Nonis was in a bidding war for Bolland with Tallon. I'd go for Bolland to Toronto and we take back $1M of his contract per year.

Last edited:

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008

A solution was given on NHL Network Radio - the 9th place teams IN EACH CONFERENCE get the biggest chance of winning the lottery percentage wise.

At least those 2 teams are trying hard and they are icing the best team possible.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
A solution was given on NHL Network Radio - the 9th place teams get the biggest chance of winning the lottery percentage wise.

At least those 2 teams are trying hard and they are icing the best team possible.

Don't like that just cause an elite team May finish 9th because of injuries and the give them a first overall? Too much.

One idea I heard for the NBA is to call for a minimum wins requirement to qualify for a lottery ball, otherwise you don't get a chance at a high (top ten?) pick.

and to take it further, disallow teams from having a top 3 pick 2 years in a row. if you finish with a top 3 pick, next year the highest you can go is 4 unless a trade is made to move up

Last edited:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I don't like how the worst teams get rewarded, makes no sense. If anything the team finishing 1st should get the biggest reward. The draft should just be all 30 teams in a hat.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I don't like how the worst teams get rewarded, makes no sense. If anything the team finishing 1st should get the biggest reward. The draft should just be all 30 teams in a hat.

I agree it should be random with everyone having an equal chance. But I dont agree on your "team finishing first should get biggesg reward" because that would make them even better which would make the league very uneven because they would win the cup year after year

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
We'd have to jettison some contracts to cover the $8M. Not sure he's worth the cost.

Nonis was in a bidding war for Bolland with Tallon. I'd go for Bolland to Toronto and we take back $1M of his contract per year.

We have the cap space for Kessel right now, or in the offseason, when we lose some dead weight. Salary is not a concern, and those 35+ goals is definitely worth the cost. You are talking about one of the premier RWers in the game, and we'd be getting him in his prime years. It would be a great move by Tallon now, an even better move if he did it at the draft, where the trade would be announced in our building.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

I thought winning the Stanley Cup is a pretty big award :laugh:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I agree it should be random with everyone having an equal chance. But I dont agree on your "team finishing first should get biggesg reward" because that would make them even better which would make the league very uneven because they would win the cup year after year

Just think of the cap hell these teams would be in, forcing them to make deals. Teams like ours could cash in on some great talent.

I thought winning the Stanley Cup is a pretty big award :laugh:

The team finishing 1st in the league doesn't always win the cup.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Just think of the cap hell these teams would be in, forcing them to make deals. Teams like ours could cash in on some great talent.

The team finishing 1st in the league doesn't always win the cup.

Oooh, I thought you meant the team that wins the cup

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Well the Kane trade definitely isn't a tank move but there's no explanation for trading the only guy that wins you games for the worst goalie in the league.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
We have the cap space for Kessel right now, or in the offseason, when we lose some dead weight. Salary is not a concern, and those 35+ goals is definitely worth the cost. You are talking about one of the premier RWers in the game, and we'd be getting him in his prime years. It would be a great move by Tallon now, an even better move if he did it at the draft, where the trade would be announced in our building.
Those dead weights will have to be replaced by other ufa's or resigned as Tallon likes a certain amount of veteran experience in his lineups. We have RFA's to resign (Hubs, Hayes, & after next yr: Barkov) and the Canadian Dollar fall may leave the cap flat. We would need to move an existing large contract ala Mitchell, Bolland, or Soup IMO + you should always leave some room until you are ready to challenge for the cup.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006

So where was this train of thought when the Panthers were finishing at the bottom of the league.

I think the new system in 2016 is a good one - top 3 picks are decided in a weighted lottery. The worst teams still get the best players, but there is little advantage to being bad in order to secure a stud player.

This will be the last year where tanking is a viable strategy.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
So where was this train of thought when the Panthers were finishing at the bottom of the league.

I think the new system in 2016 is a good one - top 3 picks are decided in a weighted lottery. The worst teams still get the best players, but there is little advantage to being bad in order to secure a stud player.

It's always been my train of thought but I'm not going to go against my own team. Of course I'm bias when it comes to the Panthers. :laugh:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Agreed. Let's not get hypocritical. Tallon clearly tanked for a few years. It just sucks that a divisional rival is going to get a generational talent this summer.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
A solution was given on NHL Network Radio - the 9th place teams IN EACH CONFERENCE get the biggest chance of winning the lottery percentage wise.

I've always thought 9th place teams should have a higher chance in the lottery. At least they tried...I don't even care if an "elite" team got the pick because of injuries. I think that's fair compensation for basically a wasted season even if that were to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad