Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy*

So I guess our RFAs are going to arbitration. Anybody know if the hearing dates are set?

Next week, Kreider on Wed 23rd, Zucc on Fri 25th and Brass on Mon 28th.

Too bad if this actually happens, could get ugly. And none of them will be signed for more than next season, they all become UFAs next year.

Do we really risk losing them?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Next week, Kreider on Wed 23rd, Zucc on Fri 25th and Brass on Mon 28th.

Too bad if this actually happens, could get ugly. And none of them will be signed for more than next season, they all become UFAs next year.

Do we really risk losing them?

The Rangers haven't gone to an arbitration hearing since Zherdev, who they clearly didn't even want back. I'm confident they'll get deals done with all three RFAs before the hearings.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Rangers haven't gone to an arbitration hearing since Zherdev, who they clearly didn't even want back. I'm confident they'll get deals done with all three RFAs before the hearings.

Yea no doubt they all get done to 2 plus yrs atleast

Wolfy*

I think MAYBE Kreider goes to arbitration.. the other 2 will be signed for sure IMO.

I thought Kreider was a big part of future plans here. Sending the kid to court, while signing a guy like Glass 1.45 on the cap...doesn't make sense to me.

Btw...Slats talked about a 2yr bridge deal for Kreider, lets see if it happens.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Well, if nothing else, Hartford will be stacked.

Kreider - Step - Nash
Stempniak? - Brass - Zuccs
Hags - Miller - MSL
Glass - Moore - Mueller?

Mac - G
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
Kostka

Lundqvist
Talbot

Not really sure how this would be put together:

LW: Bourque, Bourque, Hrivik, McCarthy
C: Hensick, Lindberg, Lombardi, Tarnasky, Yogan
RW: Fast, Kantor, Kristo

Who am I forgetting?

Allen - McIlrath
Bodie - Kampfer
Hunwick - Zamorsky
Noreau

Dejardins
Missaien

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Thoughts on what our RFAs should get on a contract?
Zucc - 4M max..This reminds me of another guy who had a great year when he was making next to nothing, then cashed in on a 4 year deal, Pa Parenteau. He had a great year playing with JT and put up 67 points, Zucc had a great one year and put up 59 points and played well in the post season as well while pretty much being on our most productive line all season, still the 4M per like PA is exactly what Zucc should get it if he gets a 3-4 year deal.
4 years 16M

Kreider - 2.25M.. bridge contract, right around what Hagelin got. Hagelin signed his deal coming off a season where he put up 24 points in 48 games, which is about 42 points for a full season, Kreider spent some time in Hartford early on, then came and showed he can stick, and put up 37 points in 66 games, which over a full 82 games would be 46 points, right around what Hagelin projects over a full 82 game season when he signed his deal.
2 years 4.5M

Brassard - His QO is 3.7M.. His salary last season was 3.2M.. Patrick Berglund just signed in St Louis for 3.7M per year and has put up 99 points over the last 3 years, while Brassard has put up 116 points, slightly better than Berglund, Brassard has also done really well for the Rangers in the playoffs (24 points in 35 games), so he also deserves a bigger salary than berglund because of that.. He was also the center of the Rangers most productive line last season, again another reason why he should receive more than Berglund signed for. He is not quite a #2 center though (at least he's never proved that in his career so far yet so there's no way he should be getting more than 4.25M a season. I'd like to see the same contract Zucc signed for if they believe he's got what it takes to continue to get better.
3.7M qualifying offer, or 4 years 16M.

John Moore- not really any reason to explain what I think he's worth.. I think at most he should get 1.25M, I actually think Connor Allen can pretty much provide what Moore does for 900K if Moore decides he wants to hold out for more money.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think the best hope is JT Miller is ready to be in this league he can keep up with Hagelin and MSL, and Hagelin and MSL can help carry the line. We have been so focused on left defenseman, right defenseman...if Staal were moved it would be for a top six forward and the left defensive partner of Boyle become...Moore, or a journeyman who can be had for $1MM (if there is one). That creates a hole, which you never know, they may do because Lundqvist would fill that hole and offense may come at more of a premium. Think I'm resigned to taking my chances with this lineup to begin the season. Just haven't seen many other real options. The Rangers had a lot of luxuries last season. Some cheap forwards producing at good clips. Perhaps they'll get that in Miller and others, although there doesn't appear to be much evidence to suggest that.

I'm not very confident in Miller, especially at center, but even with him in the fold we need another forward to fill out the lineup. If Lombardi is a 4th line signing, then that leaves one more spot in the top-nine, assuming Miller steps in. I like Fast, but depending on how the lines shake out, we could be icing two rookies on a line with MSL.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade made after camp once teams realize who is actually going to crack their roster. Not with a major piece going out, but perhaps a higher-end prospect for a NHL-body to skate on that open LW spot. Would be nice if that player had some grit to their game as well. The team might try and poach someone off the waiver wire as well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not very confident in Miller, especially at center, but even with him in the fold we need another forward to fill out the lineup. If Lombardi is a 4th line signing, then that leaves one more spot in the top-nine, assuming Miller steps in. I like Fast, but depending on how the lines shake out, we could be icing two rookies on a line with MSL.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade made after camp once teams realize who is actually going to crack their roster. Not with a major piece going out, but perhaps a higher-end prospect for a NHL-body to skate on that open LW spot. Would be nice if that player had some grit to their game as well. The team might try and poach someone off the waiver wire as well.

Couldn't agree more with a post. Spot on, Trxjw! :nod:

Zuccarello Awesome*

Solid post. I can't really disagree.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I would feel more comfortable with Miller replacing Pouilot than Richards (or Brassard last season) whoever.. I think he's much more likely to put up the #'s Pouilot did rather than Brassard or Richards.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd be okay with losing Miller for the betterment of the team today. The problem is, Miller alone doesn't get us anything. He would need to be packaged with someone, and all that will do is open up another unfilled hole on the team. We don't have the 1st round pick to spare, I don't suspect Sather will trade the 2016 pick, but you never know. Plus, how much value does that pick hold today? Not much...

Miller + Staal? Huge hole on D.
Miller + Hagelin? Huge hole at LW.
Miller + Brassard? Giant hole at C.

I'd love to somehow ship Miller to a team like the Sabres, but I can't imagine they'll send us the young/NHL ready talent back that I desire. Ennis, Foligno, Grigorenko, Jake McCabe. Foligno is a guy that can be molded into Dubinsky. Ennis is already proven, but small. Grigorenko has boom potential. I love Jake McCabe, I think he's incredibly unheralded around the league as a young defenseman. Reminds me so much of McDonagh it's unreal. Nearly identical size, both Wisconsin alum though Jake had more offensive output at the NCAA level. McCabe is not as good of a skater as McDonagh though (obviously), nor does he have the IQ (yet, if ever). Dreaming at this point, because these are names Buffalo doesn't part with at their current status, especially since they need no further help hitting the cap floor.

I'd pull the trigger on:

Miller
Hagelin
J. Moore

for

Ennis
Foligno
McCabe

*(I full understand this is a dream scenario. I know Ennis just signed long-term today. Please calm down before you go crazy :) )
In a god damn heartbeat.

Posturing on complete bull**** is fun sometimes. To dream is better.

The real question is, do we trade Girardi for a 2LW and 3LHD, and move McDonagh to the right side he so expertly played in the Olympics :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Calling Step comparable to Giroux is a little bit generous...

Stepan is not a no 1 center... YET!

Claude Giroux:

Age 22 - 42gm, 34p
Age 23 - 82gm, 47p
Age 24 - 77gm, 93p
Age 25 - 48gm, 48p
Age 26 - 82gm, 86p

Derek Stepan:

Age 20 - 82gm, 45p
Age 21 - 82gm, 51p
Age 22 - 48gm, 44p
Age 23 - 82gm, 57p

Derek Stepan is now scoring better than Claude Giroux at the same age. Some people need to realize a 24-year old center still has time to develop. When Giroux played as a 24-year old, he had his break-out year with 93 points. I am not saying Stepan will have the same amount of points, but it's possible. So far, he's following a similar path. Give him time.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Ok here's my latest wacky idea:

Stepan and Staal for Eberle, Yakupov, and Oscar Klefbom ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=134395 )

Kreider Eberle St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller/Lindberg Yakupov
Glass Moore Lombardi

Injuries/Call-ups: Kristo, Haggerty, Fast, Mueller

McDonagh Girardi
Moore Boyle
Klefbom Klein

Injuries / Call-ups: Allen, McIlrath, Kostka, Hunwick, Skjei

Lundqvist
Talbot

And with all that, we'd be over a million dollars under the cap.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.850m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m)
Danny Kristo ($0.827m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
John Moore ($1.125m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,564,375; BONUSES: $3,785,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,435,625

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Stepan is not a no 1 center... YET!

Claude Giroux:

Age 22 - 42gm, 34p
Age 23 - 82gm, 47p
Age 24 - 77gm, 93p
Age 25 - 48gm, 48p
Age 26 - 82gm, 86p

Derek Stepan:

Age 20 - 82gm, 45p
Age 21 - 82gm, 51p
Age 22 - 48gm, 44p
Age 23 - 82gm, 57p

Derek Stepan is now scoring better than Claude Giroux at the same age. Some people need to realize a 24-year old center still has time to develop. When Giroux played as a 24-year old, he had his break-out year with 93 points. I am not saying Stepan will have the same amount of points, but it's possible. So far, he's following a similar path. Give him time.

I mean what is a number 1 center? Is it a top 30 center in the league? Stepan is a top 30 center in the league. He's been top 30 in points the last 2 years and he's well above average defensively. Stepan is a 1C, a lower end 1C, but he's a top 30 center in the league.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean what is a number 1 center? Is it a top 30 center in the league? Stepan is a top 30 center in the league. He's been top 30 in points the last 2 years and he's well above average defensively. Stepan is a 1C, a lower end 1C, but he's a top 30 center in the league.

Yeah, I mean he's not the no. 1 center we need to be a contender, but he's still young. He's getting there. He will hit 80 points this or next season.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Yeah, I mean he's not the no. 1 center we need to be a contender, but he's still young. He's getting there. He will hit 80 points this or next season.

Idk about 80, but I see him consistently scoring 60+ while being great defensively. We're a contender with him. He's not that flashy elite 1C everyone dreams of, but he definitely isn't out of place as a number 1 at all.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Ok here's my latest wacky idea:

Stepan and Staal for Eberle, Yakupov, and Oscar Klefbom ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=134395 )

Kreider Eberle St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller/Lindberg Yakupov
Glass Moore Lombardi

Injuries/Call-ups: Kristo, Haggerty, Fast, Mueller

McDonagh Girardi
Moore Boyle
Klefbom Klein

Injuries / Call-ups: Allen, McIlrath, Kostka, Hunwick, Skjei

Lundqvist
Talbot

And with all that, we'd be over a million dollars under the cap.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.850m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m)
Danny Kristo ($0.827m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
John Moore ($1.125m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,564,375; BONUSES: $3,785,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,435,625

I don't see the benefit. We get worse on D to get...worse C depth? Eberle can score, I know, but Stepan complements that first line of Nash and Kreider well. Both can score, and given Step's passing ability, it's a good fit. Step is still young (as is Ebs), but Step is a natural C, and while Eberle may have been a C, he's been a wing for the last few years, to my knowledge.

This is not to mention that I don't think Moore is yet ready for Top 4 minutes, never mind pairing him with Boyle instead of Klein. While Yakupov could still be good, I'm not sure about that depth at all.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Two rookies is a pretty big risk, but didn't Tampa just put two rookies with Marty for a season? That turned out okay didn't it? Hopefully it all works out. MSL could really change the way Miller approaches the game for the better and he would be a great influence on Fast too. For JTM it seems like a mental thing not a talent thing, someone like Marty might be able to help him get past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad