Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Anyway, AV wants him back, Sather wants him back, and I honestly believe Zucc wants to stay, can't see how they dont get something done.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I actually did say my opinion isn't that valuable to a discussion about Girardi. I realize that its not because Girardi is my favorite Ranger. I'm not objective about him, but I have seen that most of HFNYR seems to think he's had a good season.

Not thinking the same as the HFNYR groupthink ≠ not having a valuable opinion (this goes for both of us).

Huh? I'm just saying there are certain players that don't ever have good advanced stats, but are generally considered good players. Glass isn't a good player by the eye test or the advanced stats.

This goes back to my point of people buying more into possession metrics when they match directly what they see, and that's the problem. We can all see what a garbage player Tanner Glass is, and his stats reflect that, but what about all of those players that make mistakes that you don't remember? The point of these metrics is to keep track of everything you might miss in a game. If people were actually capable of making concrete and close to infailable judgements from just their memories and highlights, there would be no reason for non-traditional stats to exist.

And, actually, I can't think of many awful possession players that are highly regarded.

I'm also not saying value their opinion more than yours, but I think what the majority believes is likely closer to the truth, so when the majority thinks Girardi has had a good season, thats closer to reality.

Why is the majority closer to the truth? I don't give a **** about the majority and you shouldn't either. The majority of this website hated drafting Stepan over 4 other busts. The majority having a common belief doesn't ever make it true, or more credible. If his were true, we'd still think the Earth is flat.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Throwing Brassard's value at the center position out the window in a comparison of Zuccarello and Brassard and their monetary value is whats irrelevant to the discussion. Think of my last post as a jab at your overall ignorance to the defensive side of the puck.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I did :laugh:.

You used a hypothetical situation (Zuccarello playing center) and made the faulty assumption that he'd falter doing it. This is based on nothing at all, and will probably never happen, yet this is supposed to be a credible point from your side of the coin.

I obviously hate defense because I want to keep the better defensive player. Obviously.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If it were just one player I perceived as good that possession metrics disagreed with, then I'd be more on board with them. The problem is that, for example, last season possession metrics differed with my evaluation of 4 of the 6 defensemen the Rangers had. That's not good. And I know enough about the game that I don't think there's room for adjustment on that large of a scale. Looking at other team's D, I get the sense that it would be the same on a lot of them although admittedly I don't watch them nearly enough to form a solid opinion.

Forwards is a different story. I only have one dispute about forwards that I don't want to delve into here again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With the wingers, it should come down to who's willing to sign the best contract given their production.

We aren't in desperate need to keep Zucc, MSL or Hagelin. All three are good players, but can be replaced. If Buchnevich, Duclair and Miller progress like they should, Zucc and Hagelin are third line wingers a few years from now and MSL would be as well, although he'll likely be retired by that point.

I'd frankly be perfectly fine letting MSL and Zucc both walk in the off-season. I'd be fine starting the season with Kreider, Nash, Duclair, Miller, Hagelin and some free agent on a cheap one or two year contract. If Buchnevich progresses like he should, maybe we can trade Hagelin at some point.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
MSL will be the cheapest to resign IMO by a lot.. I honestly think he's going to sign for a pretty damn cheap deal, just my opinion.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That's what it sounds like to me, speculation.

Yup, same way they were reporting that "Marc Staal will be looking for between 6-6.5 mil per"

It's speculation based on what they could see him getting and being worth.

MSL will be the cheapest to resign IMO by a lot.. I honestly think he's going to sign for a pretty damn cheap deal, just my opinion.

Agreed. Could see him signing between 2-3 mil per. Maybe we could get him to drop down to 2 if we give him 2 years? 4m total for 2 years.

It'd be easier to convince him to take less if Glass wasn't making 1.45 a season.

I'd like Sather to give him the Rangers sell. Living at home and being a fan favorite and stuff. About him basically having a job for life if we wants. It seems they take care of former fan favorites and star players, I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of them are on the payroll in some capacity. Even if he only plays another year or two, he's a fan favorite.

And if we can get him under a 3m caphit, he's absolutely worth it. Even with his slumps this season he's on pace for 50+ points.

I love hags and he is so important to the team, but it wouldn't surprise me if management thinks his role could be filled by Duclair.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Can somebody explain to me how the Rangers can be giving up below league average attempts in the most dangerous areas of the ice at 5 on 5, except when all defensemen not named Boyle and Moore are on the ice, in which case we are above average?

That would mean that despite over two thirds of es ice time giving up a higher number of attempts, overall we give up few. It doesn't add up to me.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
When is Stepan a UFA.. is it possible that we could not play "hardball" with him but come to an agreement where he helps us out next year and he gets the money from Boyle's deal expiring the following year?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
When is Stepan a UFA.. is it possible that we could not play "hardball" with him but come to an agreement where he helps us out next year and he gets the money from Boyle's deal expiring the following year?

I'd rather lock him up long term yesterday than risk losing him for nothing.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Summoning RangerBoy.

I also don't want to risk "angering" him by trying to underpay him. Show him that he's an important part of this team now rather than later.

yeah, not intended to anger him.. a gentleman's agreement where we say look we're up close to the cap with many decisions to make, how about we pay you next year, etc. something like that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
which is why I'm wondering how many RFA years he has left.

he has this year (14-15) and next (15-16), then he is a UFA--but he has arbitration rights in both of those years, so we'd most likely be raked over the coals with the number the arbitrator gives us...

You'd be better off just offering what he is worth. He's a staple to this team, and the stats show how bad we are when he is not around/

Jan 8, 2012
NY
yeah, not intended to anger him.. a gentleman's agreement where we say look we're up close to the cap with many decisions to make, how about we pay you next year, etc. something like that.

Azaloum makes a good point about arbitration. The arbitrator will no doubt value him at 6 million or so as his current yearly worth. Really won't save that much overall.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
he has this year (14-15) and next (15-16), then he is a UFA--but he has arbitration rights in both of those years, so we'd most likely be raked over the coals with the number the arbitrator gives us...

You'd be better off just offering what he is worth. He's a staple to this team, and the stats show how bad we are when he is not around/

forgot about the whole arbitration thing.. yeah just sign him.. He's the most important player to sign period.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Active career leading scorer in the playoffs for the NYR, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad