Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know I'm not the most popular poster on this board but c'mon trading Duclair for Hanzal? :help::help::help::help::help::help:

C'mon gang, this is not the Esposito or even post-94 Neil Smith era Rangers.

Luckily Sather and Gordon aren't that gullible.

Martin Hanzal is not going to magically fix the Rangers matchup issues with Tampa, Islanders, or Bruins.

This team is not one piece away from going back to the Cup Final. A lot has to go right.

Duclair as a 19-year-old looked pretty good at the NHL level for his brief stint. He's going to hit 50 point minimum once he matures. You don't trade that on an ELC for two years of an injury prone 40-point player.

I am not comfortable (litterary) trading Duke, but Hanzal makes a lot of sense too.

If I knew that Duke would become a 50 pts player I'd easily make the deal. What scares me is that Duke can become a 30+ goal scorer. Tony Amonte II. Far from a lock, but he has that potential.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
But WPB, one thing though. You talk about Hanzal not fixing our match-up problems with Tampa or NYI. We shouldn't look to match Tampa or NYI, play chess with them. When you do that you trade Zubov for Ulfie (to play against Big E).

In my confused post in the last thread I tried to make this point: in the game today it's all about taking it to the other team. Somehow. To do that you need to have a team game and play to your strength. Kreider is stronger than most. Nash is huge. Hayes is getting his feet wet, but I think he will be real good within a couple of years. We are not heavy up front like some WC teams, but adding another real big body could help a lot and make us real real hard to play against.

We have a resilient 2-way D infront of Hank. We have MSL and Zucc who are real creative. Nash. 2 centers in Step and Brass who are taking the challenge from any centers they match up against. Dom Moore is part of our identity.

Adding a really big forward who can use a lot during important minutes of a game gives us offensively another dimension and makes us even more stronger defensively. You will need to have strong Ds on the ice to handle a line with like Nash and Hanzel on it, and if we could put Hanzal on the ice defenaively on FOs etc, that's a tremendous plus too.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Neil Smith traded Gartner and Amonte.....for Matteau , Anderson & Noonan and traded Marchant for MacTavish because he thought we were weak on draws......it is not always stars that win championships for you .

We sit still & we will be a weaker team next season and other clubs in the East will become stronger....it's been twenty years....I don't want to wait any longer .

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Personally im not as high on miller as some are. I like him but i see him as a good third liner. I wouldnt trade him for a rental BUT hanzal has a couple years left so thats a possibility

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Another thing, if we add another center to this team -- who moves to the wing of our current centers?

Hayes has been mentioned, I wanna comment on that. I saw some College games with Hayes this summer when he was about to hit the market. There was no talk about him being used as a center, everyone said he wasn't good there in college. But I immidiately said that I do think we are interested in getting him to put him back at center.

The thing is, Hayes has big big flaws as a winger. He would be real slow to get in on the forecheck for example. He is going to need a lot of ice to build up speed and he just wouldn't be much of a threat on the rush. And so forth. You really marginalize his game if you put him on the wing. At least as a rule. I think it's possible to find a unit that let him play more to his strengths on the wing, but that unit gotta be real special. Like he had in College, but the NHL is also the NHL so it wouldnt be easy. Even in college, he played a center game.

Step should never play wing.

I think Brass could play wing on a top line. Let him play the game he plays now with a little less defensive responsibilities. If we got Hanzal, I think Brass could be a real valuble LW with all of our centers, Hanzal, Step and Hayes. They would let him play their game and he would help them out too.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't like the beat writers throwing Miller into trade proposals.

He's going to be a good player and I'd use other assets before him. He's already improved so much in just the last season alone.

They wanna talk about John Moore being traded? Be my guest.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I don't like the beat writers throwing Miller into trade proposals.

He's going to be a good player and I'd use other assets before him. He's already improved so much in just the last season alone.

They wanna talk about John Moore being traded? Be my guest.
i wouldnt trade him for a rental but for hanzal straight up i would for sure. Theyre gonna ask for miller or duclair and i think most agree duclair isnt going anywhere with his ceiling

SLE17

Dec 21, 2011
NJ
i wouldnt trade him for a rental but for hanzal straight up i would for sure. Theyre gonna ask for miller or duclair and i think most agree duclair isnt going anywhere with his ceiling

Ideally would like to keep both Miller and Duclair and use others / picks to acquire Hanzal if possible but I agree. If we had to choose between Miller and Duclair for Hanzal I would send Miller in a heartbeat before duke.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Ideally would like to keep both Miller and Duclair and use others / picks to acquire Hanzal if possible but I agree. If we had to choose between Miller and Duclair for Hanzal I would send Miller in a heartbeat before duke.
dont get me wrong i like miller i just dont see his ceiling being as high as duclair or even buchnevich. Again i wouldnt trade him for a rental

SLE17

Dec 21, 2011
NJ
dont get me wrong i like miller i just dont see his ceiling being as high as duclair or even buchnevich. Again i wouldnt trade him for a rental

I agree! I believe Miller can still help this team even if we acquire Hanzal so is possibility exists to acquire Hanzal to for others or picks thats even better IMO.

Hopefully we upgrade the 6th D slot too.

and if we really wanted to get greedy find someone to take Glass and his contact off our hands.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The thing with Miller is that you need cheap contracts on the team that can play. I think that keeps him on the team unless there is a cost controlled return.

I'm not for trading Miller for the sake of trading him, but if he keeps making those Euroleague soft cross ice passes in his own end zone instead of just chipping it out, I am perfectly fine with him getting another stint in the minors.

I think he's a scratch on Monday.. he got a chance to play with Rick Nash, played solid, then made a Pejorative Slur mistake again... the same one over and over again. Saw the 4th line. Team played better.

Calling a spade for what it is.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This isn't a situation where the Rangers have only 1 good young player. Miller. Fast. Hayes. Lindberg. All are in the NHL or very close to being in the NHL. How many young players can a Cup Contender hope to ride all season?

They have Buch and Duclair on the way on the wing who look to be closeish.

If Hanzal is indeed available, he kills multiple birds with a single stone. Face offs. Size. Center depth. Defensive awareness. And he is signed past this season. Extend the window.

Many people have mentioned it. This team is getting older. It's obvious they believe they are close. The MSL deal last year is just one example. It's time to make a couple of deals to really to for it. Get Hanzal. Get Sekera. Time to put the chips on the table.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
This isn't a situation where the Rangers have only 1 good young player. Miller. Fast. Hayes. Lindberg. All are in the NHL or very close to being in the NHL. How many young players can a Cup Contender hope to ride all season?

If Hanzal is indeed available, he kills multiple birds with a single stone. Face offs. Size. Center depth. Defensive awareness. And he is signed past this season. Extend the window.

Many people have mentioned it. This team is getting older. It's obvious they believe they are close. The MSL deal last year is just one example. It's time to make a couple of deals to really to for it. Get Hanzal. Get Sekera. Time to put the chips on the table.
Amen, brother!

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
On second thoughts...

Hanzel makes too much sense. I YT'd Hanzel to refresh my opinion of him. You guys have to see for yourself. He's mean as hell. :amazed: Hits to hurt and uses his body like everyone wanted Boyle to play. This may be a reason why he's often hurt.

The SC playoffs is a tournament of attrition. I'd go to war with Hanzel any day. That guy brings it. Some offensive talent to boot. He could single handedly change the "soft" rep the Rangers have from a passive Detroit style to a style closer to the Bruins and the western teams. I'd drive JT to the airport.

PS - I'm a big JT fan.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

The standard of a shallow pool isn't one good young player though. A team needs as many good prospects as the Rangers currently have, if not more, to have decent odds of getting NHL players to keep the team fed with cheap contracts.

Losing one, let alone more, could potentially be a disaster for the cap going forward.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The standard of a shallow pool isn't one good young player though. A team needs as many good prospects as the Rangers currently have, if not more, to have decent odds of getting NHL players to keep the team fed with cheap contracts.

Losing one, let alone more, could potentially be a disaster for the cap going forward.

I would agree normally but the Rangers know what they pretty much have with those 4. From the younger group I would agree. The window isn't going to stay open forever.

BarbaraAlphanse

Miller shouldn't traded. He probably won't be.

Many of these beat writers, they use speculation to write their stories. Not much real basis. Not much logic. Click bait.

It's like co-workers you have that think you need to trade young talent when it doesn't immediately show results.

Miller is 21. Already on a powerplay unit. Already showing games where he makes a great impact.

To put that in perspective, there are some players that become stars in this league that don't even make their debuts until age 23-24.

Obviously this doesn't ensure anything... but Miller isn't a guy that these ****ing beat writers should continue including in their cockameme articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad