Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Would try for korp to be honest. Vermette will cost nearly as much as Vanek did... He's a top center man in phoenix

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Are the Caps going to be sellers at the deadline? Are they ready to lose not one but two veteran leaders in their locker room?

Both players would be great adds, that fourth line is an incredible specimen on paper. I don't know how realistic it is, though.

Same thing for Stoll, why would the Kings move him? He's been a key cog in all of their playoff runs getting the tough matchups as a center late into spring.

I like your outside the box thinking on who to add though. I've been saying for a while there will be a bidding war for Vermette. People don't realize that we're going to have to overpay to get him. Even with that overpayment, I think he's the perfect add for the team.

Obviously a lot depends on where everything falls moving forward. The Caps have not looked good this year. They may fall out of it.

Same with the Kings. Haven't looked all that hot

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Obviously a lot depends on where everything falls moving forward. The Caps have not looked good this year. They may fall out of it.

Same with the Kings. Haven't looked all that hot

The Caps are ahead of us in the standings (Rangers hold two games in hand) and are 6-2-2 in their last 10. Not necessarily lighting the world on fire, but they're keeping pace if nothing else.

Same old song and dance for the Kings. There's no way they sell a year after winning the cup and with the roster they've tooled. That team is going for it every year for the foreseeable future. They're built for playoff hockey and Stoll is a big piece.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think that having Hags on the "4th" line is a strength. It's not a matter of status... AV doesn't play good 4th liners 5 mins a night... It keeps other guys fresh.

Hags in a position of strength.

Allows the top 6 offensive zone starts.

Heck "4th" liner Brian Boyle played 15 minutes a night in quite a few playoff games.

Hags will get more ice time when the teams protecting a lead.

It's not a matter of status by having him on the 4th line it's a matter of utility and depth.

It's called having a great team.

All hypothetical for now though. The Rangers need to upgrade their weak links before this even happens.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think that having Hags on the "4th" line is a strength. It's not a matter of status... AV doesn't play good 4th liners 5 mins a night... It keeps other guys fresh.

Hags in a position of strength.

Allows the top 6 offensive zone starts.

Heck "4th" liner Brian Boyle played 15 minutes a night in quite a few playoff games.

Hags will get more ice time when the teams protecting a lead.

It's not a matter of status by having him on the 4th line it's a matter of utility and depth.

It's called having a great team.

All hypothetical for now though. The Rangers need to upgrade their weak links before this even happens.

I feel like Hags on the 4th line is a complete waste of his ability to drive possession for his linemates. He absolutely belongs in the top 9

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
What about Matt Cullen 7 points in 21 games, or Mike Fisher if Nashville is out of it? Both would be rentals.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Following up on the Hayes discussion, I decided to break down his faceoffs out of curiosity, and there has been improvement.

First 13 games: 36-129 = 27.9
Last 13 games: 38-91 = 41.8

And he does seem like one of those kids that doesn't take very long to make adjustments to his game.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't think it matters if they get a better face-off or get a better winger to help him develop at center. The moral is that they need another guy on that line. Stempniak just isn't cutting it.

And I'd rather slot Hagelin down to the 4th line, have Miller as 3 LW, and get a veteran RW to help both Hayes AND Miller develop in their respective roles.

Stempniak doesn't help anyone do anything. Hagelin's a true 4th liner. There's an inherent need to fill that position on the 3rd line.

By no definition is Hagelin a true fourth liner. None.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hags is literally the perfect fir for AV's system. He and Kreider are arguably two of the best players that fit his up temp style of play.

Also, still waiting for an example. Kthnxbye

2013-2014 Poo

Doan, Iginla, Vermette.... perfect 3rd liners.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
2013-2014 Poo

Doan, Iginla, Vermette.... perfect 3rd liners.

those guys are expensive...

Why don't we just focus on getting a Ryan Carter type player for the 4th line? Stempniak is fine for what he is, especially at the cap hit he has this year... If Stempniak is our worst player, then we have a good problem on our hands...

I'd rather focus on getting an upgrade on John Moore. We can't go into deep tight playoff games with John Moore getting 13 minutes per night...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Talbot signed early is nice. Now Staal and Zuc please

As for a deal Sekera is a good fit. McClement not really, only if Moore was out

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I actually like Fisher as a rental option, but iirc he's been out long term with an injury.

He came back from injury 9 games ago and has 5 points since. I'd like Fisher too, but good luck getting him to disagree with one of the hottest women on the planet about leaving Nashville. Lucky *******.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Seems rather simple to me, to be honest.

Trade for Vermette -- adding Korpikoski with him would be out of this world fantastic, too.

Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zucc
Hagelin - Vermette - Hayes
Fast/Korpikoski - Moore - Stempniak
Glass

If Hayes "breaks down" (for lack of a better term) over the course of the 82 games and playoffs, Stempniak can slide up, and Glass (ew) can step in.

More hopeful that Glass is waived, and C. Bourque is called up as our 13F.

I know Miller isn't in this lineup. To me, he's the odd man out as he has not consistently outplayed anyone in the top 12, nor does he deserve to ride the pine as the 13F; other people may feel differently.

You have to give to get and if Phoenix is giving up two roster players, then you can bet that getting a roster player in return is one of their demands.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i really like the team as-is. when the roster is healthy, stemp and glass can rotate for the last forward slot. and if duclair comes back, he can replace both of em.

they probably could use a great faceoff guy but otherwise i dont see the need to do anything big. unless a nice offer falls into sathers lap.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
actually i understand that lindberg is good at faceoffs. maybe bringing him up is the only move needed. at least with the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad