Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look for the teams in need of defensive help who are contending. Dallas. Anaheim. Minnesota.

Would the Rangers move Staal to an Eastern Conference team they may have to play? Maybe. Boston. Pittsburgh. Montreal. Detroit.

If I'm Sather, I key in on Dallas and Anaheim. They made the big moves in the off-season. They both clearly need a big defensive d-man to come in and help settle things. Both are stocked in terms of prospects at pretty much every position.

Get futures for Staal, use some redundant pieces to try and bring in someone who can fill his shoes or help the group this season for a lesser price.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Moving Staal and replacing him with a lesser d-man will be the biggest mistake the Rangers have made in quite some time. Replacing him with a combo of J. Moore or Hunwick eating those minutes would be devastating.

Keep Staal. Trade Moore. Play Hunwick.

Staal will be our 'rental'. Move him in the off-season for a draft pick or anything. We need him here for our run in spring.

He's better than he's been playing, and we all know he's good come playoff time.

But, all that said, wouldn't be surprised if he's moved before the deadline.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Moving Staal and replacing him with a lesser d-man will be the biggest mistake the Rangers have made in quite some time. Replacing him with a combo of J. Moore or Hunwick eating those minutes would be devastating.

Keep Staal. Trade Moore. Play Hunwick.

Staal will be our 'rental'. Move him in the off-season for a draft pick or anything. We need him here for our run in spring.

He's better than he's been playing, and we all know he's good come playoff time.

But, all that said, wouldn't be surprised if he's moved before the deadline.

If they get a solid offer for him, move him. Staal may be the best rental d-man on the market this year.

Make a hockey trade to find another Klein. They are out there. Can they find a d-man who fits their system and is being mis-used in another?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If they get a solid offer for him, move him. Staal may be the best rental d-man on the market this year.

Make a hockey trade to find another Klein. They are out there. Can they find a d-man who fits their system and is being mis-used in another?

Everyone hated Klein before this season. Said there was no way he was a top-4 Dman in this league. Not saying you specifically, of course.

Now, most people want another Klein in our top-4? Those guys don't grow on trees.

D-men with similar cap hits to Klein:

Engelland, Brewer, Gunnarson, Hainsey, Alzner, Greene, Gilbert, Methot, Robidas, Regher, Polak, Sekera, Petry, Cowen, Leddy, Spurgeon, Salvador, Jackman, Stuart, Russel

In red are guys on the Devils and Isles - essentially, non-targets.

Bolded are guys on teams who will most likely be buyers this deadline.

Of those left, green guys are left-handed players.

Sekera is the obvious choice of those guys. But he will cost a pretty penny.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Everyone hated Klein before this season. Said there was no way he was a top-4 Dman in this league. Not saying you specifically, of course.

Now, most people want another Klein in our top-4? Those guys don't grow on trees.

Engelland, Brewer, Gunnarson, Hainsey, Alzner, Greene, Gilbert, Methot, Robidas, Regher, Polak, Sekera, Petry, Cowen, Leddy, Spurgeon, Salvador, Jackman, Stuart, Russel

What about Methot, Petry or Cowen?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Not really sure why we want another Klein anyways since Staal is a rich man's version of him. The aim should be for a PMD IMO...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Calgary will be buyers?

I'd give up a pretty penny for Sekera.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What about Methot, Petry or Cowen?

Cowen is still 23 years old. He's signed through 16-17. Ottawa not going to trade him.

Methot hasn't played a game yet this season.

Petry is a right-handed shot - not to mention, he's pretty terrible. -14 goal differential at even strength. 3.37 goals against/60 at even strength. 2 goals 2 assists in 24 games. That would be by far and away the worst number on the Rangers (the 3.37). Definitely elevated due to the team he plays on, but still an ugly number.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Cowen is still 23 years old. He's signed through 16-17. Ottawa not going to trade him.

Methot hasn't played a game yet this season.

Petry is a right-handed shot - not to mention, he's pretty terrible. -14 goal differential at even strength. 3.37 goals against/60 at even strength. 2 goals 2 assists in 24 games. That would be by far and away the worst number on the Rangers (the 3.37). Definitely elevated due to the team he plays on, but still an ugly number.

I am not sure if things have changed but I recall Ottawa fans being unhappy with him this season.

Look at Edmonton as a whole. I think Petry would do well here. I don't recall any of his previous seasons being this bad.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I am not sure if things have changed but I recall Ottawa fans being unhappy with him this season.

Look at Edmonton as a whole. I think Petry would do well here. I don't recall any of his previous seasons being this bad.

My stats for him are wrong. It's 3 goals and 2 assists in 26 games.

Where does he fit as a right-handed shot? Can he play the left side? He's a UFA at years end. Still young at 26 years old. I don't doubt that Edmonton may move him. I wonder where he'd fit in on NYR, though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

The Rangers have liked Methot for years. Ottawa will be sellers

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He has crazy back issues. Making his season debut tonight I think. Perhaps the Rangers will keep a close eye on him? Closer than I'd like, at least :laugh:

I'd prefer a puck-mover, but maybe those back issues make him cheaper to acquire at the deadline. He would be an adequate replacement for Staal for the remainder of the year at least.

On the main boards people are discussing Gardiner, he's a bit of a trainwreck and has a high salary. I'd like to see him paired with Klein and see what they can do together. He needs a partner who can cover for him a bit and let him run wild. His skating would fit this system to a 't' and allow the Rangers to have McDonagh, Gardiner and Boyle on 3 different pairings would bring some added offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad