Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
how about this:

staal to carolina for sekera and a conditional pick

2015 1st rounder if staal signs in carolina (why wouldn't he) and Sekera signs elsewhere. 2 rounder if Sekera re-signs with NYR.

if Carolina wins the lottery, we refuse to sign Sekera and wind up with McDavid!!

Considering the draft is before free agency, it would be a 2016 pick

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think our toughest thing to swallow this year is that our 3rd line is actually playing like a 3rd line, instead of a secondary 2nd line/

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Just move Glass to free up some space. That's really all I want for Christmas.
Indeed. Can't be that easy to move though. 3x1.45.

If I'm Staal I'd go after the biggest check this summer and he will definity not get that from Sather, he could very well being one mishap from retirement.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think our toughest thing to swallow this year is that our 3rd line is actually playing like a 3rd line, instead of a secondary 2nd line/
Was too lazy to look into anything besides 5-on-5 PointsPer60, but here they are (through the same timeframe last season). Just food for thought, can't forget either that the Brassard line was a ****-show defensively. Can't really use PP points for this kind of comparison, IMO.

10/1/13-12/3/13

Brassard: 0.88
Pouliot: 0.63
Zuccarello: 1.59

---

10/1/14-12/3/14

Hayes: 1.73
Duclair: 1.89
Hagelin: 1.96

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Was too lazy to look into anything besides 5-on-5 PointsPer60, but here they are (through the same timeframe last season). Just food for thought, can't forget either that the Brassard line was a ****-show defensively. Can't really use PP points for this kind of comparison, IMO.

10/1/13-12/3/13

Brassard: 0.88
Pouliot: 0.63
Zuccarello: 1.59

---

10/1/14-12/3/14

Hayes: 1.73
Duclair: 1.89
Hagelin: 1.96

hmm... where did you get those stats from?

Also, do we have Stempniak's stats anywhere?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html

Should be noted that it's a small sample size that I posted, but it perked my curiosity.

Man, Rick Nash is destroying league-wide in Points/60 5v5... 2nd for players who have played more than 20 games. Losing to Tyler Johnson by 0.05.

Leading the league in goals/60 at 5v5 among players at 20 or more games. Leading Seguin by .28

Superstar ****.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html

Should be noted that it's a small sample size that I posted, but it perked my curiosity.

i dont remember if our 3rd line was "killing it" in the first 3 months of last year, so it's a good point to make.

Looks liek Stempniak is at 2.22 points/60... not shabby at all. that includes games of being on lines with Tanner Anchor Glass/Steel, so I take solace in that

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Larry Brooks writes;

http://nypost.com/2014/12/03/mumps-really-hurting-rangers-salary-cap-situation/

More importantly, however, the string of injuries and illnesses has created the scenario under which the Rangers are projected to have a mere $211,650 available at the trade deadline. This doesn’t exactly leave much in the way of maneuverability for general manager Glen Sather, who essentially will have to to go dollar-for-dollar to improve his team

If, as expected, the Rangers loan Anthony Duclair to Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior Tournament, the freshman pro’s $772,500 cap hit would be erased from the books on a pro-rated basis for the 18 days (Dec. 19 through Jan. 5) he’d be off the NHL roster. But that would provide only about $75,000 of relief.

The cap squeeze isn’t going to abate over the summer, either. The Blueshirts have committed approximately $46M to 12 players (goaltender Henrik Lundqvist; defensemen McDonagh, Boyle, Dan Girardi and Kevin Klein; forwards Glass, Duclair, Rick Nash, Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider, Dominic Moore and Kevin Hayes), thus leaving an anticipated $25-to-$28M of space to complete the 2015-16 roster depending upon both the cap and how much of this year’s bonus cushion is kicked into next season.

The Rangers currently have five pending restricted free agents. Derek Stepan is sure to get at least $6M per, given his superior numbers to Colorado’s $6M Man, Ryan O’Reilly. Carl Hagelin is likely to come in for at least $3.5M. John Moore won’t get less than $1.5M in arbitration. Miller and Jesper Fast are each likely looking at $750,000-to-$1M.

Getting those five players under contract would thus account for approximately $12M. That would leave $13-to-$16M available for pending unrestricted free agents Marc Staal, Martin St. Louis, Mats Zuccarello, Cam Talbot, Lee Stempniak, Matt Hunwick—or suitable replacements.

If the Rangers know they won’t be able to sign Staal and/or Zuccarello, Sather will investigate trades as the deadline approaches, as he did last season under similar circumstances regarding Girardi and Ryan Callahan. Presumably if either or both are traded, Sather won’t be yielding first-round draft choices as he did a year ago in the swap with Tampa Bay for St. Louis.

Trading Staal — in advance of perhaps not re-signing this essential Blueblood defenseman — would not only create a hole on the top four for next year, but for the remainder of this season, as well.
If the Rangers move Staal in a rental deal, they’re done this year as a realistic contender.

There is little doubt that the Rangers will want to re-up St. Louis. The issue is whether St. Louis will be amenable to signing a one-year, over-35 bonus-laded contract that the Rangers likely will have to offer No. 26 in order to maintain some flexibility under the cap next summer.

St. Louis, Staal, Zuccarello … those are for later. For now, however, the Rangers had best cross their fingers that no one else gets sick or hurt.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
If the salary cap doesn't go up again I'm starting to think it'll be impossible to win a championship while paying it best players wat their worth

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If the salary cap doesn't go up again I'm starting to think it'll be impossible to win a championship while paying it best players wat their worth

Don't worry, the cap will go up when Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec, Toronto (2), Kansas City, New Orleans, Juneau, Fairbanks, Honolulu, London, Qatar, Cairo, and of course, Antarctica, have hockey teams.

Fortunately, at that point, the talent will be quite diluted, so the players won't cost as much

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I don't see how we'll be able to afford Staal or Hagelin (unless MSL doesn't come back) which is going to leave a few large holes in the roster

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't see how we'll be able to afford Staal or Hagelin (unless MSL doesn't come back) which is going to leave a few large holes in the roster

going to have to find a few more Hunwick's (reclamation who can play the system) and Boyle's (taking a discount to play for the rangers) to keep those players. We're also going to have to seriously push player development in the minors.

McIlrath will probably be shored up as the 7th defenseman for league minimum next year

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Heres the 2015 UFA Defensemen list for next year

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Looks like we'd be able to afford a $4M defenseman to fill this hole, assuming this roster:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / Derek Stepan ($5.850m) / Martin St. Louis ($3.875m)
Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($3.250m) / Kevin Hayes ($0.900m) / Lee Stempniak ($1.500m)
J.T. Miller ($1.000m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Jesper Fast ($1.000m)
Ryan Bourque ($0.563m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
UFA DEFENSEMAN / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Matt Hunwick ($0.800m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
John Moore ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $72,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,362,500; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,637,500

I guess the next question is who is desirable off that 2015 UFA list?

Off the top of my head, I'd look at the following:

Schlemko: http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/schleda01.html
Benoit: http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/benoian01.html
Mesjzaros
Beauchemin
Jackman
Franson
Boychuk
Oduya

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I disagree that if we trade Staal we are done as contenders. The capspace is going to be an issue. As I stated a month ago... I think we are going to see a fairly stagnant cap for a while. I have seen comments all over HF were some folks were hoping the cap would go up by 4-5 million. We will be lucky if it is $1-1.5 million. Didn't brooks write an short piece on that?

At this point the Rangers need to be very careful.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I disagree that if we trade Staal we are done as contenders. The capspace is going to be an issue. As I stated a month ago... I think we are going to see a fairly stagnant cap for a while. I have seen comments all over HF were some folks were hoping the cap would go up by 4-5 million. We will be lucky if it is $1-1.5 million. Didn't brooks write an short piece on that?

At this point the Rangers need to be very careful.

What if Staal nets a lesser defender? I don't mean John Moore, I mean a #2/#3 on a top team of the league

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What if Staal nets a lesser defender? I don't mean John Moore, I mean a #2/#3 on a top team of the league

I am not sure what you are saying? I was saying I disagree with Larry that by trading Staal we are done as contenders. A trade for Sekera is a realistic option. I am sure there are other guys who may be a step below Staal that we could return in a trade with a nice +. Staal hasn't had a good year.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Am I alone in wanting Hagelin over Zuccs (if it comes down to that)? Letting Hags go would be Stralman 2.0, to a lesser extent.

"Let someone overpay" and next year we miss him dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad