Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I am not sure what you are saying? I was saying I disagree with Larry that by trading Staal we are done as contenders. A trade for Sekera is a realistic option. I am sure there are other guys who may be a step below Staal that we could return in a trade with a nice +. Staal hasn't had a good year.

What I was saying was what if we trade Staal for another defenseman who isn't as good.... Basically a lateral/downgrade move... Maybe some extras thrown in by the other team

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Pierre and Eddie both agreed that Staal is a 6+M/YR defenseman. I don't see it.

I don't think he's worth that much, but they've seen more playoff games of him than anything else.

The guy is a beast when he shows up, but he's definitely been an in and out player.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What I was saying was what if we trade Staal for another defenseman who isn't as good.... Basically a lateral/downgrade move... Maybe some extras thrown in by the other team

I've mentioned before that Staal to Ottawa may be a good fit. A package around Wiercioch or Cowen could be the basis of the deal. Could probably get a bottom 6 winger as well, or maybe a 2nd rounder. The three 2nd round picks could allow us to make a move into the first round

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Omg... If we could.... Wow that's a fleece of a trade

[Referring to CamBot for Alzner.]

Time to work some magic, Sather. Make that move, and we consider forgiving you for the Glass debacle.

Not that I really think it could happen, but if we tried to trade Washington Talbot/Staal for Alzner/Goalie, does Washington have anyone who could serve as a capable of backup? Could be a very nice + in it for us, too. I honestly do like Talbot, and he has pretty good numbers this season aside from one or two stinkers, but if Washington is really crazy enough to make that trade, well... :naughty:

Last edited:

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I've mentioned before that Staal to Ottawa may be a good fit. A package around Wiercioch or Cowen could be the basis of the deal. Could probably get a bottom 6 winger as well, or maybe a 2nd rounder. The three 2nd round picks could allow us to make a move into the first round

I know this is a reach, but if we ship Staal to Ottawa I want Zibanejad coming back, even if we have to add. Our center depth would be fantastic and set for the foreseeable future. More than unlikely though.

Hopefully those outside of NY agree with Pierre and still see 2011 Staal when they look at the offer.

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I know this is a reach, but if we ship Staal to Ottawa I want Zibanejad coming back, even if we have to add. Our center depth would be fantastic and set for the foreseeable future. More than unlikely though.

Hopefully those outside of NY agree with Pierre and still see 2011 Staal when they look at the offer.

Not that I disagree, but where would you see him slotting in long-term with Stepan, Brass, and Hayes? With Staal gone, that's sizable hole on defense, even if he's not 2011 Staal.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Not that I disagree, but where would you see him slotting in long-term with Stepan, Brass, and Hayes? With Staal gone, that's sizable hole on defense, even if he's not 2011 Staal.

I'd consider moving Hayes or Zibanejad to the wing. I think both have great versatility.

In terms of defense, I'm not sure. I was thinking of a deal in terms of just Ottawa, and I'm not a fan of either Wiercioch or Cowen. I don't think either could play top-4 minutes on a contender, especially considering their partner would be Boyle or Girardi.

I think if we decide to trade Staal we should get the best pieces possible, not just try to find his replacement in the deal. I may be in the minority, but I think any trade in which Staal leaves will leave us with a non-contending blueline (for this season). As much as he's not worth the money he will get, he's still better than almost any defenseman we'd get back.

So if Staal is traded, get the best players possible for the long term. Find his replacement in another deal, or more likely after the season.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Considering the draft is before free agency, it would be a 2016 pick

dang i knew my proposal was flawed somehow. when it seems too good to be true, it generally is too good to be true. unless you are dealing with bob gainey, of course!

:naughty:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd consider moving Hayes or Zibanejad to the wing. I think both have great versatility.

In terms of defense, I'm not sure. I was thinking of a deal in terms of just Ottawa, and I'm not a fan of either Wiercioch or Cowen. I don't think either could play top-4 minutes on a contender, especially considering their partner would be Boyle or Girardi.

I think if we decide to trade Staal we should get the best pieces possible, not just try to find his replacement in the deal. I may be in the minority, but I think any trade in which Staal leaves will leave us with a non-contending blueline (for this season). As much as he's not worth the money he will get, he's still better than almost any defenseman we'd get back.

So if Staal is traded, get the best players possible for the long term. Find his replacement in another deal, or more likely after the season.

I agree entirely. Not overly impressed with Cowen or Wiercoch, and I certainly agree about trying to get the best piece. As for the non-contending blue line, it really depends if everyone is on the top of their game or not. Thus far, it's been shaky. I want to attribute some of it to the fact that our d-men have been playing musical chairs in terms of partners, so I hope that once everyone is healthy, we can have a fuller picture and go from there. Of course, even in situations like that, you want your top players to be able to adapt.

The Rangers will very rarely throw in the towel for a season, so it's an odd position of wanting to think both long-term and short-term at the same time.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I agree entirely. Not overly impressed with Cowen or Wiercoch, and I certainly agree about trying to get the best piece. As for the non-contending blue line, it really depends if everyone is on the top of their game or not. Thus far, it's been shaky. I want to attribute some of it to the fact that our d-men have been playing musical chairs in terms of partners, so I hope that once everyone is healthy, we can have a fuller picture and go from there. Of course, even in situations like that, you want your top players to be able to adapt.

The Rangers will very rarely throw in the towel for a season, so it's an odd position of wanting to think both long-term and short-term at the same time.

Odd position indeed. Our "go-for-it" move was made laat year. Making another type trade (with Staal) could really hurt us down the line. Staal still has good value, move him for young(er) talent, regardless of whether it's D or not.

Ideally we move Staal for a solid young player, and make a separate deal for a solid, reliable vet to help compensate his loss on defense. That helps us build without throwing in the towel for this season.

Trading Staal for a straight up replacement will be a big mistake IMO, considering the possible options that will be coming back. Any of the players named is a lateral move or downgrade. The only player who might be a slight improvement would be Sekera, but I think we could do better (especially players in other positions).

Tough situation for the big wigs.

And I agree about having to see what we have in terms of a solid unit. Our d-corps has been a mess.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Now were trading Talbot? Jesus you guys are desperate for any news to happen. Talbot makes nothing as our backup. I guess you forget how much we were paying Biron who wasnt half as steady as Talbot is. :shakehead:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Now were trading Talbot? Jesus you guys are desperate for any news to happen. Talbot makes nothing as our backup. I guess you forget how much we were paying Biron who wasnt half as steady as Talbot is. :shakehead:

It was more a joke based on the "rumor" that the Caps would move Alzner for a #1 goalie.

They need to figure out a way to upgrade the defense. Cam deserves to stay and be re-signed

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If they move Staal, it should be for a defensive prospect +. You maximize the value of the player and then worry about needs later as far as this season.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Am I alone in wanting Hagelin over Zuccs (if it comes down to that)? Letting Hags go would be Stralman 2.0, to a lesser extent.

"Let someone overpay" and next year we miss him dearly.

Agreed. I take Hagelin over Zucc without a second thought. Hagelin has more of a 2-way game than Zucc has.
If people think Zucc will be looking for a discount with the Rangers in the neighborhood of $3.5m-$4m range then they're out to lunch.
I think Zucc is the odd man out this season and will get dealt. Rangers aren't the only team in this situation... every team is forced to move players based on cap situations and playoff contention.
Is Staal is dealt, it better be for an upgrade in the top 2 lines otherwise they're done for the season and maybe next year unless they sign top FA defenseman. If Zucc is dealt, the Rangers would be able to get by and might actually fare better in the end because it would open time up for the younger wingers.
Fact is, they have depth on the wings so logically one of the older players with a big contract will be on their way out.
Personally, I think Staal will stay put and players like Zucc and J. Moore will get dealt.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I have always really liked Ryan Sproul.

I doubt Detroit would move him, doubt they'd be players for Staal, and he is off to a tough start statistically. That is the kind of D prospect I would look for though.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have always really liked Ryan Sproul.

I doubt Detroit would move him, doubt they'd be players for Staal, and he is off to a tough start statistically. That is the kind of D prospect I would look for though.

Either him or Xavier Ouellet please.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

I could see Sather dealing Talbot. At some point we run out of options to upgrade with any trade. Teams aren't going to want a deteriorating, unsigned Staal and just hand us their cost controlled prospects.

I'm not saying I want to do this, I just think Glennyboy is in WIN-NOW mode and will do something similar to this.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Yeah, let's keep Talbot over a top 4 shutdown dman who is on a $2.8m contract because he makes nothing. :thumbu:

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
if we are looking for prospects in return for staal, i'd prefer fleury from carolina over those guys mentioned above

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
our needs THIS SEASON are

top 4 LD
3C

targets would be a kevin klein guy type deal with an affordable contract and f/a to be antionne vermette who can plug right in.

if we do a deal those in play are

staal
zuke
jt miller
mcilrath
john moore
glass
fast

i do not believe what larry says that the season is toast if staal is moved this season. don't agree at all.

it would require the return of a legit LD back though. so far, none of us would be comfortable seeing hunwick or JM playing marc staal minutes. but, a lateral move for a top dman will require another contract. might we be better keeping staal then ?

problem is, we need cap space to pay our f/a's. ideally we would have a JM or hunwick step up this season and play staal minutes which would allow us to clear space for f/a's and allow for skjei to perhaps claim that spot next fall.

kids will be important next year. with the amount of cash we have tied up in a select core group, we have no choice but to look towards the kevin hayes', JM's. hunwicks's and maybe the duclair/buchnevich pair to play key minutes next season.

problem is, slats wants to win now and hank isn't getting any younger.

tough spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad