Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Addict? Someone getting busted for possession once hardly means they are an addict. The court systems want them to say they are though, sending them to 12 step programs etc.
Coke is very much a recriational (? Spelling) drug for the rich an famous. I wouldnt compare a millionare doing some coke at a party to a 5 dollar hooker with a crack habit.

Its an illegal narcotic and can kill somebody in one use.

It, exclusively, doesn't make Malone a bad person, but the Rangers don't need to take on his problems, either. And to me personally the "it's not mine" excuse its just childish.

Boogaard should be a cautionary tale regarding players with a substance abuse issue.

The NHL shouldn't even be allowing this guy to be in a position to play. He should, regardless if he has an abuse problem or not, he should be in a program until its abundantly clear he doesn't have a problem and won't be a bad infuence on the rest of the athletes in their league.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wouldn't trade JT Miller alone for Ryan.

I probably wouldn't either.

I mean if people have problems with Nash, what are they going to have with Ryan? Ryan is much more 1-dimensional and much more reliant on being put in a scoring position than Nash.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So we agreeing carcillo jobs w Hayes signing? Invite maybe?

Is Moore gonna go to camp and wait for graves and duclairs contracts to slide ?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Putting all the 3rd line crap aside, playing with a rookie, yada yada yada, I wonder if Miller and Nash would work as a combo. Miller can play like a little bull in a china shop coming down the middle, allowing him to get the puck deep, and helping open up space for Nash.

Doubt it'll happen, but it could be interesting to see how it looks in camp.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd also rather not deal from a position of weakness just to add to a position of strength. Ryan would be great, but I'd rather keep Miller.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If possible, sign John Moore. Then Invite both
Carcillo​
& Malone to camp tryouts - if they arent signed elsewhere. Then offer The better of the two a 675.000 Contract after camp (unless they both suck). The more The merrier. Things tend to happen anyways... Theres always the Possibility of moving an AHLer for future considerations/draft pick plus letting both Graves and Duclair slide not to get in trouble with having more than 49 contracts at this point. I want a real deep NYR squad this year that allows the team to beat injuries and slumps in a better way than before and where kids - if they shine - can Step up and play but where the basis of the matter is they have to beat out proven NHLers to make the team. No givens, no free rides. Clean mf:ing slate

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Its an illegal narcotic and can kill somebody in one use.

It, exclusively, doesn't make Malone a bad person, but the Rangers don't need to take on his problems, either. And to me personally the "it's not mine" excuse its just childish.

Boogaard should be a cautionary tale regarding players with a substance abuse issue.

The NHL shouldn't even be allowing this guy to be in a position to play. He should, regardless if he has an abuse problem or not, he should be in a program until its abundantly clear he doesn't have a problem and won't be a bad infuence on the rest of the athletes in their league.

He did enter the league's substance abuse program before the Summer began. You get released from it, presumably, when it's deemed you no longer have a problem (or perhaps he never did but if he proactively acts, he can get a lesser sentence on possession). Of course, a high percentage of those with problems have it re-occur, so it's not a foolproof system. I will not comment on Malone's problems though. Don't know him. Do not know if he has a problem. Do not currently know his mental state. As a 35 year old player who has had injuries over the years, whose production has declined and who is a big guy relying on the physical part of the game (and big guys wear down at this age, and again, he's already been shown to wear down), I'd say that's enough to take a pass, even though him, back in his glory and healthy days, would be a welcomed addition, at a bargain price. I had posted in another place the recent issues are something to stay away from. Perhaps I should not have commented on that, but do often believe where there is smoke there is fire, but again, it really isn't my place to comment on that and if the Rangers do look at him they need to be 100% sure that there aren't issues that can pop-up during the season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Amazed people want a 35 year old washed up coke head that can't skate anymore and AT BEST would be a 13th or 12th forward?

Why even deal with the possible headache? We've got plenty of guys vying for those spots

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Malone should be facing suspension. He plead no contest to the drunk driving charge and the drug possession charge will be dismissed if he completes a program. Who needs that headache even if the guy could still contribute? Mark Bell got suspended 15 games for his drunk driving. Bell hit someone with a car in addition to driving drunk. Malone did have coke in his possession. Bettman established the precedent with Bell.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I heard they hired an advanced stats guy
They changed this guy's title from 'Director of Hockey Technology' to 'Director of Player Development/Analytics & Hockey Technology'

He's been with the organization since 2009 after working for six years as an analyst.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
They changed this guy's title from 'Director of Hockey Technology' to 'Director of Player Development/Analytics & Hockey Technology'

He's been with the organization since 2009 after working for six years as an analyst.

I guess the question is whether he's an actual advanced stats guy or not.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not sure I'd trade Miller for Ryan either.

In a vacuum, yeah a sure fire NHL scorer is worth more than a PPG player in the AHL who is on track to have a chance of being a solid NHLer.

But, in this reality, the Rangers are thin at center and deep at wing. Winnings teams almost always have solid center depth. The Rangers have been wrestling the cap, and will be for the next few years. Miller is a cost-controlled young asset and Ryan is a UFA to be. The Rangers are short on first round picks, and the prospect pool isn't great. Miller is one of the best prospects and Ryan's best days are all but certainly behind him.

The more I think about it, I definitely wouldn't do that trade. Doesn't really up for this team at all.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wouldn't move Miller for Ryan. He is going to be looking at a longer term deal around 6-7 million on the open market. The Rangers can't afford that. He would be a rental nd I would refuse to move any one of the Rangers top-8 prospects, in my eyes, (Miller, Hayes, McIlrath, Skjei, Buchnevich, Duclair, Fast, Lindberg) for a rental.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Bell was also brought in by Sather and given a shot in the AHL. Billy Tibbetts. It worked with MacT in Edmonton after his legal issues in Boston.

I guess the bottom line would be that at this stage, he's an idea. He hasn't been signed and perhaps they have not conducted all their diligence, and even if they have, perhaps there's less to it than we see, or more so we haven't heard anything more. The Rangers do have holes and question marks. I have my reservations as to whether or not he fits on this team; I'm thinking not, but if Sather wanted to invite him to camp for a tryout and he can play (and perhaps Lombardi can't), and there aren't legal or substance abuse problems surrounding him, then perhaps they take a serious look to signing him. I'm not going to sit here and call him a "coke head", since I don't even know if he tested positive for it or if it's something he's done in the past, does regularly, etc., so it's premature to judge. On a hockey basis, I do doubt his abilities to be effective on this team and hopefully there are better options (by hopefully, hopefully Miller is a player and Lombardi is a player, etc.).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I guess the bottom line would be that at this stage, he's an idea. He hasn't been signed and perhaps they have not conducted all their diligence, and even if they have, perhaps there's less to it than we see, or more so we haven't heard anything more. The Rangers do have holes and question marks. I have my reservations as to whether or not he fits on this team; I'm thinking not, but if Sather wanted to invite him to camp for a tryout and he can play (and perhaps Lombardi can't), and there aren't legal or substance abuse problems surrounding him, then perhaps they take a serious look to signing him. I'm not going to sit here and call him a "coke head", since I don't even know if he tested positive for it or if it's something he's done in the past, does regularly, etc., so it's premature to judge. On a hockey basis, I do doubt his abilities to be effective on this team and hopefully there are better options (by hopefully, hopefully Miller is a player and Lombardi is a player, etc.).

Malone isn't worth the headache. He will be 35 years old in December. As soon as Malone signs a contract, Bettman will suspend him. He hasn't played a full season in a while.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I would have loved a 28 year old Ryan Malone, but at this point its best to give him a PTO if Slats wants to give this guy a shot at redemption. Dude looked like he was on his last legs a couple of years ago, I don't think there is much left now.

It's no different than giving Petr Nedved a look in the sense that an old time guy gets a shot. I wouldn't sign Malone or have him on a minor league deal. Redemption is one thing, but whether he has a substance abuse problem or not, you don't want that around your organization.

There are teams that trade or stay away from guys for enjoying the night life (Richards, Carter, Seguin, Del Zotto, Lupul), let's not take it a step further with DUIs.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nhlers don't randomly do coke boys hate to break it to u. They spoke weed a lot of them do but cocaine no. Guy walking around with a gram and a half is not just normal nhler blowing off steam. Has a problem

Zuccarello Awesome*

I would have loved a 28 year old Ryan Malone, but at this point its best to give him a PTO if Slats wants to give this guy a shot at redemption. Dude looked like he was on his last legs a couple of years ago, I don't think there is much left now.

It's no different than giving Petr Nedved a look in the sense that an old time guy gets a shot. I wouldn't sign Malone or have him on a minor league deal. Redemption is one thing, but whether he has a substance abuse problem or not, you don't want that around your organization.

There are teams that trade or stay away from guys for enjoying the night life (Richards, Carter, Seguin, Del Zotto, Lupul), let's not take it a step further with DUIs.

Except that's a terrible example because Nedved absolutely should've made that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad