Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think we can get a late first for talbot from one of the teams with multiple picks

Toronto Edmonton buffalo stick out to me right away think they've all got multiple firsts

Cam is going to get us back into this draft we can save some money and sign a cheaper backup

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
We're not getting McDavid, even if Edmonton manages to get the #1 pick yet again. We would have to literally blow up our roster for a single player, which is dumb as hell. If we had this year's and next year's #1, we honestly might be able to work it out, but we don't, so it wouldn't work.

Cam's proven his worth, and continues to show he can be put to the test, so I do think a team would take him. The only reason EDM's always brought up is they have a desperate need for a goalie and they have a ton of young assets. But what other team is in need of a goalie that we can trade for a good, young player with? At this point, Talbot is trade bait, no questions asked. As long as he's healthy at around draft time, he'll be on the trade block. Are you all in favor of just trading him for a pick? Or is there a player you think we can pry for him if we trade him or him in a package deal for?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Been thinking more and more about the fact that st Louis's $5.625M + Glass' $1.45M, and Talbot's $1.45M, a combined $8.6M~ in cap space would be enough to cover:

Hagelin's raise $2.4 to $3.5 Long Term, $1.1M Increase
Stepan's raise $3.75 to $6.25 Long Term, $2.5M increase
Elc for a 3rd line player, $1M
All the QO's for the RFA's
Kreiders raise next year
Hayes raise next year

Get a strong feeling marty is going to hang them up after this year.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Been thinking more and more about the fact that st Louis's $5.625M + Glass' $1.45M, and Talbot's $1.45M, a combined $8.6M~ in cap space would be enough to cover:

Hagelin's raise $2.4 to $3.5 Long Term, $1.1M Increase
Stepan's raise $3.75 to $6.25 Long Term, $2.5M increase
Elc for a 3rd line player, $1M
All the QO's for the RFA's
Kreiders raise next year
Hayes raise next year

Get a strong feeling marty is going to hang them up after this year.

Give Marty a Shanahan contract for $1MM base and you achieve the same thing. Rangers a lot better off than many teams re: cap. Go look at the mess in Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
The bubble man is relentlessly bearish on everything. I think most of his prognostications will be proven right, but the timing is unpredictable.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I've watched a few games and Reilly and Skeji were usually together. Either way, you know the Rangers have had a presence at a lot of their games.

Reilly would be equivalent to a first round pick.

Minnesota born defenseman, we know Sather can't resist. I am all in on signing this kid.

I also like the Finnish kid on BU. I think he might be available on a free too.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Give Marty a Shanahan contract for $1MM base and you achieve the same thing. Rangers a lot better off than many teams re: cap. Go look at the mess in Pittsburgh or Chicago.

then only $1M in bonuses on top of that for deferrment to next year--No more than $2M for Marty, period.

Move Miller to the top line, MSL to the 3rd with Hayes. Extend Hagelin and boom, there we go.

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Klingberg/4th line scrub

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
McIlrath

Lunqvist
Desjardins/Skapski

Unfortunately, sending Talbot away is the only way to make that lineup fit.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Was reading today about a Columbus BJ pick that might be available like Hayes was....supposed to be a very very strong defensive guy . I don't remember his name....any chance we get in on somebody like him ? I'm sure somebody knows the story on the guy ?:)

We need to get in on this, ASAP

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It's not that long ago the loonie was trading at 75 cents and the Canadian teams were crying poverty. The loonie went up and those same teams became big money payroll teams. There was the Canadian assistance program. The Canadian teams take in Canadian dollars and pay out US dollars. They have hedged right now but they were hoping it would last for a short term. It is very expensive. The NHL was looking to add a team in Quebec. It hurts the Rangers because the cap was supposed to be higher this season and $75M to $76M next season. The Rangers didn't have a 13th forward when Fast was injured. It looks like Klein will be out for a while and the Rangers are rolling with 6 D and no call up. Cap reasons. The blessing in disguise is the Rangers will be forced to rely on younger players and won't have $$$$ for big ticket free agents if they are available. They got a good deal on Yandle for next season. Look at the positives.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
then only $1M in bonuses on top of that for deferrment to next year--No more than $2M for Marty, period.

Move Miller to the top line, MSL to the 3rd with Hayes. Extend Hagelin and boom, there we go.

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Klingberg/4th line scrub

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
McIlrath

Lunqvist
Desjardins/Skapski

Unfortunately, sending Talbot away is the only way to make that lineup fit.

And what becomes of Yandle?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
And what becomes of Yandle?

the following year (2016-17), Boyle and MSL's contracts are gone... assuming MSL takes a $1M contract, and Boyle has a $4.5M contract, thats $5.5M of freed up cap space, add that to Yandles $2.625 he's getting paid now and that equals $7M, which is about what he'll take, maybe a little bit less to stay on a winning team. maybe a small cap increase brings us to $7M. At this point, McIlrath should be able to step into Boyles spot after being the 7th dman all year long prior (2015-16).

I'll post a sheet I made using Amazing Kreiderman's template soon

Last edited:

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
It's not that long ago the loonie was trading at 75 cents and the Canadian teams were crying poverty. The loonie went up and those same teams became big money payroll teams. There was the Canadian assistance program. The Canadian teams take in Canadian dollars and pay out US dollars. They have hedged right now but they were hoping it would last for a short term. It is very expensive. The NHL was looking to add a team in Quebec. It hurts the Rangers because the cap was supposed to be higher this season and $75M to $76M next season. The Rangers didn't have a 13th forward when Fast was injured. It looks like Klein will be out for a while and the Rangers are rolling with 6 D and no call up. Cap reasons. The blessing in disguise is the Rangers will be forced to rely on younger players and won't have $$$$ for big ticket free agents if they are available. They got a good deal on Yandle for next season. Look at the positives.

whens the deadline when they decide the cap figure for 2015-16? just saying maybe theres a chance by summer the loonie could go up a bit

but its also to bad we don't have cap right now - definitely want McIrath to get a shot

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hunwick-G is gonna be a problem.

I wanna see this:

McD-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-McI

If you think Hunwick-G is gonna be a problem I can't see how you would want Yandle-McI. I'd rather flip Staal and Yandle and have Staal anchor down a pairing with McI.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
All these non-playoff/borderline teams with poor goaltending has me salivating for draft day and the Talbot sweepstakes.

Jets lost a crucial game with their goaltending letting them down. Dallas has shaky tending from Lehtonen. San Jose will certainly net Niemi walk. The Oilers will let Fasth walk and look for a starter. The Coyotes might not be convinced by Mike Smith. Minnesota could kick tires if they don't re-sign Dubnyk (Unlikely). Maybe the Blues do something if Elliot lets them down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad