Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Completely theoretical and just for the fun of some discussion...if Edmonton landed the number 1 pick would you trade :

Stepan,
Hagelin,
Talbot,
and say our 2nd or Mcilrath

for

The pick i.e. Conor Mcdavid????

Talbots stock rising, and the Oilers need to fill a variety of wholes and good sound role players too...maybe they bite..they already have lots of skill...not that Mcdavid would be bad to add obviously...

That package doesn't get you McDavid's shoe. An 18 year old McDavid on an ELC for three years night have more value than Crosby.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
The US dollar is getting stronger and stronger. That is not good for the loonie and the NHL. Even the Euro has tanked and is expected to tank more. I saw a report about the Euro being .85 cents to the US dollar by 2017.
Time will tell regarding the dollar, lots can happen. The dollar bubble might burst, there might be war in Europe or Iran, God knows...
I see it like this with currency and stock predictions: If people knew what was waiting and actually shared the accurate info & prognosises - then it would be real easy and everybody would do it making big big $$ for everybody. It ain´t happening...
Hell, even Don Corleone misplayed the market...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
How much are you paying Hagelin?

That's a good question, but honestly I don't think he's due for that big of a raise. He's an incredibly important player, but he's also not the kind of player that puts up stats that justify big paydays. MZA is getting $4.5M per in his new contract, so how much is Hagelin worth? I'd say $3.5M per tops, including a couple of UFA years. He's already on the books for $2.25M ($2.4M salary this year), so that's not a huge increase.

Am I way off base in believing that MSL's $5.625M, by itself, is enough for both Stepan and Hagelin's raises in addition to Buchnevich' ELC? Again, maybe I'll end up being wrong about MSL getting resigned, but he's in my opinion as good as gone.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
WTF, Ola? Not cool to stir **** like this. If you have heard a rumor in Sweden, please share. Otherwise, please make it clear that you're speculating on your own - and tell us why!

Sorry, I heard something from a 100% source which -- indicated (it could mean that he is planning to not resign, but it can also mean something else) -- that he was -- considering (well he might consider not resigning, but opt to resign just as well) -- not to stay in NA. So it's very loose.

Even having heard that, I would be very suprised if he didn't stay. It's so early in his pro career, things are going well etc. Either he is really considering it but will opt to stay, or this indication is just misinterpreted. Yes it's a true fact, but don't at all mean that he is considering not stayin in the NA.

Just bugged me a bit, if we hear something more I would become a bit concerned for real ...

Last edited:

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
That package doesn't get you McDavid's shoe. An 18 year old McDavid on an ELC for three years night have more value than Crosby.

You're forgetting who we're dealing with.

But yeah, that wouldn't get us McDavid, we'd need to add someone like Kreider and a bunch of picks or Kreider and Hayes or something.

I still think we should try and get Yak to replace MSL, I really think he can flourish in our system with our players.

But Talbot has become a very valuable asset to trade with, and i'd have no issues trading for a late 1st or an early 2nd for him. I just think it makes more sense to trade for a relatively established player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Completely theoretical and just for the fun of some discussion...if Edmonton landed the number 1 pick would you trade :

Stepan,
Hagelin,
Talbot,

for

Talbots stock rising, and the Oilers need to fill a variety of wholes and good sound role players too...maybe they bite..they already have lots of skill...not that Mcdavid would be bad to add obviously...

Hard to say. Losing Hags probably means keeping MSL, which is looking like a worse idea every game. Talbot is gone anyway next season. Step would be the real question. On one hand, McDavid could easily turn out to be better than Step is. On the other hand, the hype for him is completely insane right now. I get that he's insanely promising, but he's done absolutely nothing in this league. Destroying juniors isn't nearly the same as being a generational NHL talent. Even putting aside the huge change in the size and skill of everyone he'll be playing against, the NHL is largely a defensive league these days.

I'd be really hard pressed to agree to trade a sure thing for a maybe, no matter how good the promise after "maybe" is. If they won this year, that'd change things. I'd almost certainly do this deal in that case, but I really doubt it'd be even close to enough to return McDavid.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
One thing you have to note is goalies are extremely valuable, more valuable than any other position. Talbot has proven that he's a competent goaltender and can win you games, or at least not have you lose games. The big downside to Talbot is he's only signed for 1 more yea, albet at very cheap, and will become a UFA afterwards. Unless he can guarantee an extension, it would be dumb as hell for Edmonton.

Unfortunately, we don't have any more 1st round picks. If we had this year's and next year's, that package+ this year's and next year's 1st and 2nd might do it. We just don't have the assets unless we want to add another big piece or two like a Hayes or Kreider, which I'd immediately say hell ****ing no to.

However, you can't underestimate what a solid goaltender can do, and Talbot is just that. No, he's not a top 5 goaltender, but when Edmonton's had so many failed goaltender projects the last number of years, having a potential franchise goaltender would help. However, Cam is almost 28, so he's not young either, but I can see him give a team 6 or 7 solid years.

Either way, McDavid's out of the question if Edmonton gets him unless Edmonton wants to be really stupid and/or we give them more.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

hhaha i also follow that guy on twitter. he was predicting a collapse in oil prices for a while and it finally came late last year. stocks will probably lose a lot of value sometime in the not too distant future, especially if the Fed raises rates. all of that will be bad for the NHL salary cap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
hhaha i also follow that guy on twitter. he was predicting a collapse in oil prices for a while and it finally came late last year. stocks will probably lose a lot of value sometime in the not too distant future, especially if the Fed raises rates. all of that will be bad for the NHL salary cap.

It's a currency way going on, everyone wants their currency to drop, at least everyone save for the US and China. EU is printing money. Japan is printing money. A lot of smaller countries have to do the same to not become less competitive.

Expect the loonie to keep falling.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Was reading today about a Columbus BJ pick that might be available like Hayes was....supposed to be a very very strong defensive guy . I don't remember his name....any chance we get in on somebody like him ? I'm sure somebody knows the story on the guy ?:)

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Was reading today about a Columbus BJ pick that might be available like Hayes was....supposed to be a very very strong defensive guy . I don't remember his name....any chance we get in on somebody like him ? I'm sure somebody knows the story on the guy ?:)

Mike Reilly, of Minnesota. But he's not strong defensively. He's more like Justin Schultz. Less defensive than him even. :amazed:

Somebody on the prospects board had this to say about Reilly:

Pros- Excellent skater, great passer, has very good vision and offensive awareness, great at carrying the puck and jumping into the rush. Could probably QB an NHL PP right now.

Cons- Needs to add weight, pretty soft, doesn't hit, below average in board battles, gets lost in his own end at times.

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Sorry, I heard something from a 100% source which -- indicated (it could mean that he is planning to not resign, but it can also mean something else) -- that he was -- considering (well he might consider not resigning, but opt to resign just as well) -- not to stay in NA. So it's very loose.

Even having heard that, I would be very suprised if he didn't stay. It's so early in his pro career, things are going well etc. Either he is really considering it but will opt to stay, or this indication is just misinterpreted. Yes it's a true fact, but don't at all mean that he is considering not stayin in the NA.

Just bugged me a bit, if we hear something more I would become a bit concerned for real ...

Ola, was this something you heard recently or something you heard prior to his being a regular?

I'd be horribly disappointed if Fast went back to Europe...love him on the team and think he's a great bottom-6 guy.

Of course, I'd have to assume he'd be heading home for a good reason, but I'd like him to stay for sure.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Another name that could come for free is Steve Moses. He's undersized and I think it would be hard to convince him to come over to the Rangers when he can probably start right away on some other teams but this is a guy who lead the KHL in scoring. He's also only 25 and friends with Kevin Hayes, and maybe a few other guys from college hockey. Dynamic skater, American, good hands. Seems to fit the identity of the team and actually played a couple of games for our AHL team.

Now, with all that in mind, Nigel Dawes was second in KHL goal scoring, lol. I'm not expecting another Zuke-level player but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
One thing you have to note is goalies are extremely valuable, more valuable than any other position. Talbot has proven that he's a competent goaltender and can win you games, or at least not have you lose games. The big downside to Talbot is he's only signed for 1 more yea, albet at very cheap, and will become a UFA afterwards. Unless he can guarantee an extension, it would be dumb as hell for Edmonton.

Disagree, at least in terms of trade value. The goaltender trade market always is pretty underwhelming.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/trading-an-nhl-goalie-dont-expect-to-hit-a-home-run/

Absolute best case scenario in a deal for Talbot is we get EDM's 2nd round pick this year. No way we get more than that, IMO.

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Mike Reilly is Brady Skeji's defensive partner.

And this is why I still have hope that Skjei has more offense in him than we're currently seeing. He's supposed to be the steadying influence on a pair with a high-risk, defensively-deficient OFD. McDonagh was put in a very similar position at Wisconsin paired with Jamie McBain.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Nate Wells who writes about college hockey has consistently mentioned Collins as Skjeis partner.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Stepan,
Hagelin,
Talbot,

for

I dont think this would do it but
if it were a Lindros type deal, they were getting over on Talbot as a throw in, and
with some substitutions it was

Stepan,
Brassard
Zuc
Talbot
Yandle
and Klein

for

The pick i.e. Conor McDavid
also
EDM 2nd or Draisatil
Justin Scultz (cap dump for them, his RFA rights we take as a project)
and small add

That would be too much, IMO, for them to say no too.
That would be HUGE RISK FOR INJURY, but

That would be physically dominating, and we have enough Fs.
we'd have to get a couple of d.
Push Skapski to ready for full backup by next season.

but it's interesting to consider if McDa is the generational talent people say.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I dont think this would do it but
if it were a Lindros type deal, they were getting over on Talbot as a throw in, and
with some substitutions it was

Stepan,
Brassard
Zuc
Talbot
Yandle
and Klein

for

The pick i.e. Conor McDavid
also
EDM 2nd or Draisatil
Justin Scultz (cap dump for them, his RFA rights we take as a project)
and small add

That would be too much, IMO, for them to say no too.
That would be HUGE RISK FOR INJURY, but

That would be physically dominating, and we have enough Fs.
we'd have to get a couple of d.
Push Skapski to ready for full backup by next season.

but it's interesting to consider if McDa is the generational talent people say.

Are you freaking kidding me? :laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad