2014-2015 Most Disappointing Players?

GORGO

Dec 10, 2011
BABBITT, MN
When considering disappointing seasons to player salary it's not even close IMO. Ryan Suter by a long shot.
Young guys take time (Haula, Granny, Kuemper etc). Not excuses for them but Suter has no excuses. Although it's becoming more and more evident Shea Weber help hide most every flaw this guy has. To be paying him what we are to score a goal or 2 every year with the minutes he gets is absurd. He's nothing more than a 2000's version o Fred Barret with probably less upside.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
When considering disappointing seasons to player salary it's not even close IMO. Ryan Suter by a long shot.
Young guys take time (Haula, Granny, Kuemper etc). Not excuses for them but Suter has no excuses. Although it's becoming more and more evident Shea Weber help hide most every flaw this guy has. To be paying him what we are to score a goal or 2 every year with the minutes he gets is absurd. He's nothing more than a 2000's version o Fred Barret with probably less upside.

He's also ugly, un-American and smells like old bananas. ******* bananas.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

So the Norris nomination from a few years ago (and debatable snub) go out the window? Weber wasn't hiding any flaws. He just didn't have a great year.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
was last season the new norm for our 30 plus players or can they turn it around? we wont be great carrying a bunch of dead weight.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Poms, Vanek and Cooke concern me. Koivu has been on a downward slope and I really hope to see him turn it around. Suter looked very human in the playoffs as well. Yeo (and even Ryan) may not like it but he has to stop playing 30+ minutes a game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm willing to give Pominville a mulligan to see whether or not it was just a shooting % thing.

Vanek pretty much gave me what I thought he would (effort wise) and less goal scoring, which I think can be directly attributed to his lack of shooting. That was unexpected and disappointing, but 50+ isn't exactly something to scoff at in today's NHL.

Koivu had a really horrid start, but still finished in the top 35 for center scoring. I think he is on the downward slope, but I'm hoping he can at least maintain at his current level for next 2-3 years. If Granlund can actually up his game in the regular season, 2014-15 Koivu is serviceable 2nd line center.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm willing to give Pominville a mulligan to see whether or not it was just a shooting % thing.

Vanek pretty much gave me what I thought he would (effort wise) and less goal scoring, which I think can be directly attributed to his lack of shooting. That was unexpected and disappointing, but 50+ isn't exactly something to scoff at in today's NHL.

Koivu had a really horrid start, but still finished in the top 35 for center scoring. I think he is on the downward slope, but I'm hoping he can at least maintain at his current level for next 2-3 years. If Granlund can actually up his game in the regular season, 2014-15 Koivu is serviceable 2nd line center.

Agree about Pominville and Vanek 100%.

And great perspective on Koivu. That would put him in elite 2nd line center territory in terms of scoring, plus he's very solid defensively. Overpaid? Absolutely. But he gets ripped on way too much for a guy that's expected to be our #2 center. Playoffs are an issue though, won't deny that.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Personally, in order of most to least disappointing:

Vanek - didn't score for the first half of the season, refused to shoot the puck,disappeared in the playoffs, completely disinterested in playing the Wild's system, disregarded the coaching staff, seemed to not care at all about playing hockey...wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league in two years like Heatley

Kuemper - great first few games and then thought he got some bad bounces, then completely lost his confidence and practically guaranteed losses every time he was on the ice...supposed to be goalie of the future but looks like a mess

Koivu - had an uptick in production last year but this year went right back to his downward trend, completely disappeared in the playoffs offensively (again), makes big money without much to show for it

Stewart - played a few great games and then completely disappeared down the stretch and through the playoffs

Suter - big stretch of terrible play in the middle of the season, completely ineffective on the PP, never shoots the puck, very predictable, not great in the playoffs

Granlund - expected to take a big step forward and he just kind of went under the radar...had a bigger role but didn't really improve visibly or statistically, wasn't bad but wasn't great

Haula - supposed to come in to challenge for 3rd line center but was just flat out bad for half the year and in the doghouse through the playoffs

Bergenheim - I really didn't expect much out of him, but one point in 17 games...terrible trade

Pominville - he did a great job shooting but the pucks weren't going in the first half, and the second half he couldn't stop shanking and missing pucks in crucial situations...Wild could have won several more games if he was a little better

Brodin - didn't have a bad season but I wanted him to take a step forward offensively and he didn't...made some bad decisions in the playoffs that have me questioning him in a top pairing role

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Brodin - didn't have a bad season but I wanted him to take a step forward offensively and he didn't...made some bad decisions in the playoffs that have me questioning him in a top pairing role

Not an apologist or making excuses for Bacon, but how was he supposed to take a step forward offensively when Suter/Spurgeon continually took the PP time? Not to mention Scandella having his breakout offensive season? Brodin can shoot and pick his spot, but that isn't his forte either.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not an apologist or making excuses for Bacon, but how was he supposed to take a step forward offensively when Suter/Spurgeon continually took the PP time? Not to mention Scandella having his breakout offensive season? Brodin can shoot and pick his spot, but that isn't his forte either.

Well, how did Scandella have his breakout offensive season with Suter and Spurgeon taking the PP time?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Poms and suter were disappointing. I think they both bounce back next year. Granlund was pretty disappointing too, I expected a breakout season.

Vaneks regular season was on par with expectations but my god he was awful in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad