2014-2015 Most Disappointing Players?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's his style, not production, that turns people off. If he played like Parise and had the same stats, people would love him.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
I gotta say Haula was the most disappointing. Last years playoffs lead me to believe we found a gem in the 7th round. I'm not so sure anymore.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
It's his style, not production, that turns people off. If he played like Parise and had the same stats, people would love him.

Yup. I like Vanek, I think he is very creative but too risky at the same time. Can't fill the roster out with 12 Fontaine's. Vanek brings skill that others can't.

If Granlund and Coyle didn't have a great postseason they would be on people lists. More of a what have you done lately thing.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Vanek,Suter,Pominville,Kuemper,Haula

I'd drop Kuemper out of this list. I never expected him to be good as was surprised with his 2 SO against the Avs.
And Haula, too, is a 7th round guy. Maybe he had concussion symptoms.

But Suter and Pominville on our PP1 makes me really mad.
Suter with 2 goals all season. Really?
Poms fanning hundreds of good opportunities.:rant:

And Vanek...to be honest, we shouldn't be disappointed. He delivered exactly what he's famous for.
I wasn't too happy with his signing, but hoped that living at home might give him a boost.:shakehead

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
It's not even a "Bash Vanek Train". He got ripped to shreds by NBC guys during the Chicago series and for a good reason. Last season he was completely useless in playoffs too and got much harsher criticism than he has ever got here. Minnesota media is quite soft, really. Bashing Vanek is not something stupid Wild fans do. The reality is like you said: guy makes astonishingly stupid plays with the puck night in night out, turns pucks over, not even trying to get them back. Backchecking to Vanek is poking his stick lazily in the general direction of opposing player. Hell, that's his concept of forechecking too. Now, to justify that level of general ineptitude would take big offensive production. 20 goals certainly does not earn him a pass for not playing hockey.

Millbury was the only one I heard criticize Vanek and he is not really a "great" hockey mind.Sure Vanek went the playoffs without a goal,it happens,Hossa had gone twenty some playoff games before his goal the other night.Also it wasn't as though he did not produce any points during the playoffs,sure he needs to score more goals but the amount of **** he has gotten is a bit out of order.

Koivu and Granlund are our top 2 centers have a look at their numbers and tell me that they are good enough to be the 1c 2c on any nhl team.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Millbury was the only one I heard criticize Vanek and he is not really a "great" hockey mind.Sure Vanek went the playoffs without a goal,it happens,Hossa had gone twenty some playoff games before his goal the other night.Also it wasn't as though he did not produce any points during the playoffs,sure he needs to score more goals but the amount of **** he has gotten is a bit out of order.

Koivu and Granlund are our top 2 centers have a look at their numbers and tell me that they are good enough to be the 1c 2c on any nhl team.

Hossa also is an extremely good 2-way forward so even when he's not scoring his defense is an asset to the Hawks. Vanek isn't so multi-dimensional.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Hossa also is an extremely good 2-way forward so even when he's not scoring his defense is an asset to the Hawks. Vanek isn't so multi-dimensional.
And the fact that Vanek was tied for 5th on the team in points (4 assist) means that while he did not score any goals he was still involved in offensive production,though that production dried up against the hawks not just with Vanek but the entire team.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Coyle, Nino, vanek all need to step up their game. I agree with haula being disappointing too. Fontaine didn't progress like we all wanted either

P10p

May 15, 2012
Hard not to be disappointed in anyone other than Dubs and Parise, only two to "bring it" in a large majority of their games.....

J22*

Coyle, Nino, vanek all need to step up their game. I agree with haula being disappointing too. Fontaine didn't progress like we all wanted either

Considering expecations, icetime, linemates, and matchups, you could make a decent argument that Fontaine was their most productive skater this year. Pretty hard to be disappointed in his season.

Hard not to be disappointed in anyone other than Dubs and Parise, only two to "bring it" in a large majority of their games.....

Parise was terrible against the Hawks. Not sure why he should be getting a pass.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Leading scorer, worked his but off even with what he was goin through. The effort was always there.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Most disappointing: Vanek. And it's not even close. Before the season I was cautiously optimistic, now I just hate his guts.

I wasn't as high on Kuemper as many here, but he's still a big disappointment. I just hope he can bounce back from this nightmare of a year and grow as a player.

Haula was a big letdown.

I expected more from Granlund. He stepped his game up in the playoffs, which is great, but he needs to do more in the regular season. Show us how it's done in 15-16, MG64.

Vanek is the easy whipping boy. As he has always been. That's too easy. When Vanek was brought in he was immediately the whipping boy, and was the entire season. The scapegoat. That's too easy.

No, Vanek actually helped this team from January-March, and obviously we had high HOPES but we also knew what we were getting. All offense.

The real disappointments are those who didn't give us warning. Haula, Pomminville, and ...for me it's Coyle. He has shown signs of amazing winger and also signs of the opposite, but nothing set in stone, the same way a prospect is viewed. Well, he needed to take a big step forward, if not for himself, for the TEAM. And he didn't. Granlund could make this list but honestly with his injury trouble I can't put him on here.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Vanek is the easy whipping boy. As he has always been. That's too easy. When Vanek was brought in he was immediately the whipping boy, and was the entire season. The scapegoat. That's too easy.

No, Vanek actually helped this team from January-March, and obviously we had high HOPES but we also knew what we were getting. All offense.

The real disappointments are those who didn't give us warning. Haula, Pomminville, and ...for me it's Coyle. He has shown signs of amazing winger and also signs of the opposite, but nothing set in stone, the same way a prospect is viewed. Well, he needed to take a big step forward, if not for himself, for the TEAM. And he didn't. Granlund could make this list but honestly with his injury trouble I can't put him on here.

I still think players like Haula and Coyle can be redeemed if given proper coaching on the position and learn how to utilize their assets to the best of their ability. With Haula it is speed, Coyle his size. They need someone to help them learn to use it like Hans did in Mighty Ducks 2.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I agree that I thought Fontaine was awesome all year.

My votes in order: Haula, Kuemper, Granlund, Vanek

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Vanek ca nimprove but to call him the most disapointing is tough. He was not with Granny and Parise so how is he is expected to do anything without the two best O players we have.

I wish he would play checkers instead of chess. Just go forward with the puck. Do not force the pass and dumping it in is OK. Once the pressure is lifted or he takes a deep breathe this off season he will be fine.

Haula, Granny, Coyle and Brodin for me.

This was the year all three were going to make the jump. Haula solidifies his 3rd line C role. Brodin was going to realize he can score and play great D, Granny after last years playoffs was going to be a top scorer(on the wild at least) and Coyle was going to be that tough SOB powerforward. Haula took a step back and the others stayed in place.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Vanek didn't show any chemistry with the top players on this team. While his production alongside Fontaine/Coyle was quite impressive, it was still a disappointing season overall and the playoffs only made it worse.

Pominville produced at a rate comparable with Devin Setoguchi's last season with us. To think that he has 4 more years at a 5.6M cap-hit is scary. The player we saw this past season was worth about half of that. He's nowhere near as well-rounded as he was in his early career with Buffalo either.

Koivu's a solid player, but its quite clear his production falls off a cliff without Parise/Brunette on his left wing. While the Zucker/Coyle combination showed promise at times, the team may have to keep Coyle at center, and it was not the same production that we saw when Brunette/Parise were on his left wing. Zero chemistry with Vanek really hurt both of them.

Granlund/Coyle/Brodin didn't really show progression from 13-14 which is worrisome, but they're still contributors and young. Hopefully they can show more improvement next season, because these are key players moving forward.

Haula had a rough year, but it wasn't really surprising. Second year of pro hockey, might have been living off adrenaline year 1 or perhaps the headshots took their toll on him this past season. Still have confidence he can be a solid contributor moving forward.

Kuemper had a disappointing season, but there is optimism, and its not like his cap-hit hurt this team. Watching Dubnyk's success will make him a better goaltender, and if its not significant enough we can cut ties after next season.

Hard to call Backstrom a disappointment given the lack of sample size and the fact that the team played with zero confidence in front of him.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Vanek didn't show any chemistry with the top players on this team. While his production alongside Fontaine/Coyle was quite impressive, it was still a disappointing season overall and the playoffs only made it worse.
For weeks down the stretch this was an excellent line. Now tell me how many shifts they played in the playoffs...

Biggs111

Apr 18, 2014
My top disappointments: Yo, bruno, vanek, suter, pomm...

Actually, I think it would be easier to list the people I wasn't disappointed in out of everyone: Doobie, dumba, scandella, spurgie and brodz...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Dumba and Dubnyk are both at the top of my own most impressed by list. Can't wait to see Dumba keep developing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad