2014-2015 Most Disappointing Players?

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
What Wild players were you most disappointed with this year?

For me it was:
Haula
I had high hopes for this speedster and I even predicted before the season he would hit 33 points :laugh:

Kuemper

I thought he was our goalie of the future. Didn't take a step forward from last year.

Spurgeon

Thought he would offer alot more offence going into the season.

Vanek

I saw this coming so it shouldn't really be on this list.

Koivu

Terrible leader. Declining fast.

Pominville

He had 30 goals last year but this year nothing clicked. PPG line wasn't what it was and he was unlucky.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i still cant believe haula didnt suffer a concussion after 2 bone crushing hits i think gm2 & about gm7 to start this season. no idea why kuemper cracked. pommer & granlund & haula all fell 7G short of my expectations. coyle didnt really improve over last year. both brodin & suter dropped goal production which was shocking to me. vanek fell short but it was his first year with the team & he was an upgrade over heatley. although he was much slower than i expected. terrible power play thx to yeo. plenty of blame to go around. bright spots scandella , dumba , nino & zucker. maybe next year!

hipchecks

#MakeStaalGreatAgain
Mar 3, 2015
Minnesota
To me, Kuemper was the most disappointing. I was sure he would take the starting job and run with it, especially with the strong start he had. Then he collapsed.

Still think he can be a starter in this league, but his development is now stalled a year, and probably more when Dubnyk inevitably is signed.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
why that "#****stormhate" for Vanek?
Vanek ,ok no 70 Points, but really-vanek have big Months february and March, help the team to make the PO.
Bad PO?
I didn't notice parise in the four games against Chicago where is there the hate? where was Parise?
hero to zero- vanek come back strong next year and all will "love" him thats sports entertainment -Monday he is bad friday he is the best player.....:shakehead

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I'll throw in Harding... guy was supposed to be the starter going into the year and for a variety of reasons..... MS(not his fault)... broken foot (making management angry). Big Disapointment this year. 5 Goals from our top pairing D men this year ( Suter and Brodin) LOL.

Last edited:

J22*

Not one mention of the guy getting 1st line minutes and putting up 3rd line points?

But, the guy who finished 3rd on the team in points despite getting 3rd line minutes, and playing the majority of his season with guys like Cooke, Brodziak, Haula, Carter, Fontaine, and Schroeder, is on evereyones list?

The answer to the question is simple. Granlund, Kuemper, Haula

Just about every player on the roster had a season, or at least a stretch of their season where someone might be at least somewhat disappointed, but if the 3 names above aren't on your list, I'm not sure what you were watching all year.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Most disappointing: Vanek. And it's not even close. Before the season I was cautiously optimistic, now I just hate his guts.

I wasn't as high on Kuemper as many here, but he's still a big disappointment. I just hope he can bounce back from this nightmare of a year and grow as a player.

Haula was a big letdown.

I expected more from Granlund. He stepped his game up in the playoffs, which is great, but he needs to do more in the regular season. Show us how it's done in 15-16, MG64.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Granlund played 12 less games then Vanek tallying 13 less points. Vanek got 1st line PP minutes over Granlund for most of the season. Granlund saw tougher match-ups than Vanek. Not like Vanek never got the chance to play in the top 6.

Just saying, when to comes down to it, I was a little more in disappointed in Granlund for the regular season.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Vanek also had pretty terrible chemistry with most of the guys he played with.

J22*

Vanek also had pretty terrible chemistry with most of the guys he played with.
MOD
Other than Koivu name one guy. Zucker, Nino, Schroeder, and Fontaine are all wingers who had their most success opposite of Vanek. Half of the goals Brodziak scored this year were pucks that Vanek bounced into the net off of him.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
why that "#****stormhate" for Vanek?
Vanek ,ok no 70 Points, but really-vanek have big Months february and March, help the team to make the PO.
Bad PO?
I didn't notice parise in the four games against Chicago where is there the hate? where was Parise?
hero to zero- vanek come back strong next year and all will "love" him thats sports entertainment -Monday he is bad friday he is the best player.....:shakehead

You related?

If you can't see what a crap, turnover riddled season he had I don't know what to say to you.

When Haula scored that first goal in the last game, then had a rush through the neutral zone where he was blowing by everyone it gave me hope that he will fix whatever was wrong this year ( concussion symptoms, conditioning, both?) and come back as a viable 3rd line C.

For me, it's Kuemper, Haula( though, to be fair, they are both 7th rounders), and Vanek. I didn't know much about Vanek, but was suspicious after hearing descriptions of his game( I was not alone, Randy BoRandy said not to touch him back in early 2014). I saw another Heatley in the making. A player like him who doesn't play a sound game(I.e. As last forward entering the O zone chooses to backpass to Mr. Nobody)BETTER score a lot to make up for his errors. He didn't. He has no physical game, no hustle, no speed at all, no defensive game... Thank God Fletcher only signed him for three years rather than the seven that everyone was talking about last summer. That contract would've been a team killer.

I actuallly thought that Koivu had a good regular season. I used to be mad at him for not showing up in the playoffs, but I think I've just accepted what he is. A good, second line, defensive C who has good size and knows how to use it. He is a bit overpaid, but that is for past services rendered to the team when he did EVERYTHING. He is a declining player, but still good, and plays a responsible game.

I've been on Pominville since last year's playoffs, when I noticed he shied away from contact along the wall. I know he's not a big guy, and I don't expect him to take on Bickell in a physical confrontation, but playoff hockey demands you at least try. I don't see that . He looks like a scared perimter player out there, and what's more, even when he gets clear cut offensive chances he has a tendency to flub them. That has nothing to do with physicality...to me he is a lightweight middle sixer playing on a top line. Wish we could trade him. Perhaps I'm taking him for granted, but I believe that you can take any of our young players and put him in Poms place along with Granlund and Parise and they will produce similar numbers, AND they will take the physical load off Parise and Granny. Those two are small , talented guys, and shouldn't have to be digging the puck out and feeding Poms.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
MOD
Other than Koivu name one guy. Zucker, Nino, Schroeder, and Fontaine are all wingers who had their most success opposite of Vanek. Half of the goals Brodziak scored this year were pucks that Vanek bounced into the net off of him.

MOD

Vanek had one assist 5v5 when he was playing with Zucker. With Nino, he had three assists 5v5 all season. 1 goal, 2 assists with Schroeder. I wouldn't really call those good point totals. I'll give you Fontaine, Vanek had 8 goals and 5 assists on the even strength when he was playing with Fontaine.

According to HockeyAnalytics, he was the most productive when he was playing with Coyle and Fontaine. He had 8 goals, 8 assists with Coyle.

Also, Brodziak scored two goals 5v5 when he was playing with Vanek.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=512&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=5v5

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=396&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=5v5

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I hate to jump on the "Bash Vanek Train" but he just makes terrible decisions with the puck sometimes. Lazy clears, head-shakingly bad turnovers, and he doesn't (or hasn't yet) put up enough points to justify his terrible play.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I hate to jump on the "Bash Vanek Train" but he just makes terrible decisions with the puck sometimes. Lazy clears, head-shakingly bad turnovers, and he doesn't (or hasn't yet) put up enough points to justify his terrible play.

It's not even a "Bash Vanek Train". He got ripped to shreds by NBC guys during the Chicago series and for a good reason. Last season he was completely useless in playoffs too and got much harsher criticism than he has ever got here. Minnesota media is quite soft, really. Bashing Vanek is not something stupid Wild fans do. The reality is like you said: guy makes astonishingly stupid plays with the puck night in night out, turns pucks over, not even trying to get them back. Backchecking to Vanek is poking his stick lazily in the general direction of opposing player. Hell, that's his concept of forechecking too. Now, to justify that level of general ineptitude would take big offensive production. 20 goals certainly does not earn him a pass for not playing hockey.

J22*

Points per 60 minutes-

Parise 2.62
Vanek 2.41
Fontaine 2.19
Pominville 2.16
Stewart 2.13
Zucker 2.03
Granlund 1.92
Nino 1.91
Koivu 1.87
Coyle 1.76

Points per 60 minutes at 5 on 5

Parise 2.36
Fontaine 2.23
Zucker 2.19
Pominville 1.99
Vanek 1.98
Coyle 1.76
Granlund 1.75
Koivu 1.71
Nino 1.63
Stewart 1.41

Points per 60 minutes on the PP

Fontaine 4.81
Vanek 4.08
Parise 4.05
Stewart 3.93
Nino 3.40
Koivu 3.29
Granlund 2.93
Pominville 2.91
Coyle 1.72
Zucker 1.39

Consider who these guys played with and then tell me who sticks out in a good way and who sticks out in a bad way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad