2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Unless we expected to score 4+ goals per game this year, which I don't think anybody did, this doesn't make any sense.

With how much money we spend on our offense, it should definitely be higher than 16th in the league in G/G. 22nd in ES G/G.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Did I correctly see the stat last night that we're like 19-3-1 when we get league-average goaltending? (Save pct wise)

This could be a little misleading, but suggests this team isn't as bad as we declare sometimes.

Well ya that's pretty much common sense.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's an unrealistic expectation though. Is there any powerplay unit in the league that could get results playing 30 seconds per, and starting from their own zone? Even the best in the league couldn't do it. Give Crosby, Malkin, and Letang those situations and they'd be batting under 5%, and probably closer to 0 than to 5.

They need to be put in a position where it is reasonably possible to succeed before saying that they can't or should be more.

This I agree with. Giving them one chance to set something up isn't going to allow them to succeed. Look at how many chances the PP1 uses before they score, maybe. 2, 3, 4 times the other team will clear the puck and we'll have to go retrieve it. PP2 gets 1.

What blows my mind is when PP2 gets the puck, gets a good opportunity, goalie freezes it, then PP1 comes right back out for the offensive zone faceoff.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
It's an unrealistic expectation though. Is there any powerplay unit in the league that could get results playing 30 seconds per, and starting from their own zone? Even the best in the league couldn't do it. Give Crosby, Malkin, and Letang those situations and they'd be batting under 5%, and probably closer to 0 than to 5.

They need to be put in a position where it is reasonably possible to succeed before saying that they can't or should be more.

says every single fourth line player everywhere. i know what you're saying and i know how everyone feels about the kids they think are being mistreated for some reason, but Yeo's stance isn't ludicrous.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
We've been around for 15 years, let's stop using the "expansion team" excuse.

So are you saying you're ok with this team under-performing, because we're supposed to be better on paper? Like once we get an average goaltender, we're going to be one of the best teams in the West? Our goaltending carried us last year and we finished 7th in the West. Yes, it's a playoff spot, but it's not the playoff spot you strive for.

Goaltending is a major culprit this year, but it's definitely not the only culprit (and again, injuries and illnesses aren't an excuse either).

Oh, and the Wild have absolutely been a mediocre team throughout Yeo's tenure. One season of missed playoffs, one 8th seed where we got embarrassed in the first round, and one 7th seed where we barely got out of the first round. This year looks to be closer to a lost year than anything, again. Both playoffs years we barely snuck in. That's pretty average, nothing spectacular about those finishes.

Oh, and his jobs been questioned all four years.

I'm okay with where this team is at given the circumstances of this season, I'm still capable of having a positive outlook on things, which you seem to drastically struggle with.

Considering we have a ****ing 19-3-1 record when we have a SV% that is at the league average or better, yeah, I think we'd be a pretty damn good team.

Yep, the powerhouse of the Bryz/Kuemper tandem carried this team to the playoffs, not the defensive structure that helps even guys like Curry play well for us. This team all around played well last year, the goaltending didn't carry us, they played well, see how that works out?

Hell man, look at how you describe our last two years. "Barely got out of the 1st round," yeah against the ****ing team that was 1st in the Central, where we were the better team in roughly 6 of the games. Then against Chicago. that game could have gone either way

Yeo's job has been in question by pessimistic fans on a hockey forum, he got a 3 year extension over the off-season. He's staying.

Did you expect Parise and Suter to come in here and turn this team instantly into cup contenders? Maybe your pessimism is the product of your unreasonable high hopes.

The Wild are a team where UFAs and unsigned players want to play. This team has made great strides these last couple years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With how much money we spend on our offense, it should definitely be higher than 16th in the league in G/G. 22nd in ES G/G.

True. I was hoping/thinking ~10, but with a dead last Save%, I don't think our place in the standings would change much.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
says every single fourth line player everywhere. i know what you're saying and i know how everyone feels about the kids they think are being mistreated for some reason, but Yeo's stance isn't ludicrous.

But there's a huge difference between playing on the fourth line for 9 minutes a night getting to prove yourself, and a PP unit getting 30 seconds of a PP to try and score.

The expectations are different. Not to mention 9>>>>.5

If that fourth liner has one shift where he mishandles the puck or doesn't make the right play, he still has quite a few more to get it right.

If that PP unit makes one mistake, that's the only play they could get for a whole game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No. I'd say most 4th liners understand their limitations and wouldn't say the same thing.

I really didn't have a problem with anything until he said what he said. To me, it shows a clear disconnect from any type of logical thinking. "I want to see more production from a group that almost always gets put into an unproducible (sp?) situation". Makes no sense.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
But there's a huge difference between playing on the fourth line for 9 minutes a night getting to prove yourself, and a PP unit getting 30 seconds of a PP to try and score.

The expectations are different. Not to mention 9>>>>.5

If that fourth liner has one shift where he mishandles the puck or doesn't make the right play, he still has quite a few more to get it right.

If that PP unit makes one mistake, that's the only play they could get for a whole game.

you're sort of proving the logic of Yeo's stance though. there are finite PP minutes to hand out, and they're generally considered vital minutes. Are you going to use them to "give someone a chance" or give them to the guys who have proved more? again, everyone had a point and i was on board when the points weren't coming--change it up. if we're way ahead, the PP minutes shift accordingly IIRC. But at this stage in the season it's imprudent, without evidence and against the fact that what you're doing is working, to risk those minutes when games are close or we're behind.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
No. I'd say most 4th liners understand their limitations and wouldn't say the same thing.

I really didn't have a problem with anything until he said what he said. To me, it shows a clear disconnect from any type of logical thinking. "I want to see more production from a group that almost always gets put into an unproducible (sp?) situation". Makes no sense.

it's what he said about Zucker, on the fourth line and last year when he got sent down. it makes every bit of sense. everyone here is acting like he just came out and started complaining about the 2nd unit instead of just fielding a question. if a fourth liner starts producing, he'll get more minutes. carter, fontaine, etc. obviously there's little chance Bickel is going to throw up huge numbers but you can bet if he has three games in a row where he makes a significant positive impact he's going to get to play more.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm okay with where this team is at given the circumstances of this season, I'm still capable of having a positive outlook on things, which you seem to drastically struggle with.

Given the circumstances of the season? With how much money is invested in this team, and what the expectations were coming in, you being okay with sitting in the bottom 10 teams in the league is significantly more stupid than me not being ok with it.

Considering we have a ****ing 19-3-1 record when we have a SV% that is at the league average or better, yeah, I think we'd be a pretty damn good team.

Yep, the powerhouse of the Bryz/Kuemper tandem carried this team to the playoffs, not the defensive structure that helps even guys like Curry play well for us. This team all around played well last year, the goaltending didn't carry us, they played well, see how that works out?

Two things here:
1) We had Vezina caliber goaltending from Harding, and pretty good goaltending from Kuemper last year. Without a doubt, Harding was a major reason we finished as high as we did.
2) But if our team is SO good, as to make the powerhouse tandem of Bryz and Kuemper, and even Curry, acceptable goaltenders, then why isn't it doing it again this year?

Hell man, look at how you describe our last two years. "Barely got out of the 1st round," yeah against the ****ing team that was 1st in the Central, where we were the better team in roughly 6 of the games. Then against Chicago. that game could have gone either way

Yeah, and everyone knew Colorado overachieved last year, and look at where they are this year. We may have outplayed them those games, but we still didn't get the W's. That's a problem in and of itself.

Yeo's job has been in question by pessimistic fans on a hockey forum, he got a 3 year extension over the off-season. He's staying.

Mike Russo has fielded speculations at least three out of the four years questioning Yeo's job. He's done blogs and interviews about it. Other sources not connected to the Wild have had their speculation on it as well in at least two of the four years. It's not just "pessimistic fans on a hockey forum".

Did you expect Parise and Suter to come in here and turn this team instantly into cup contenders? Maybe your pessimism is the product of your unreasonable high hopes.

Absolutely not what I expected. Seems to be what a lot of OPTIMISTIC FANS ON A HOCKEY FORUM expected though.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Mike Russo has fielded speculations at least three out of the four years questioning Yeo's job. He's done blogs and interviews about it. Other sources not connected to the Wild have had their speculation on it as well in at least two of the four years. It's not just "pessimistic fans on a hockey forum".

Absolutely not what I expected. Seems to be what a lot of OPTIMISTIC FANS ON A HOCKEY FORUM expected though.

mike russo was pandering. Yeo's job wasn't in peril at any point.

i would agree our offense was expected to be better. I'd say much better. we actually looked like we were going that route at the beginning of the year. the ****** goaltending has a trickle down effect though, in that it leaves guys feeling less free to take chances.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
you're sort of proving the logic of Yeo's stance though. there are finite PP minutes to hand out, and they're generally considered vital minutes. Are you going to use them to "give someone a chance" or give them to the guys who have proved more? again, everyone had a point and i was on board when the points weren't coming--change it up. if we're way ahead, the PP minutes shift accordingly IIRC. But at this stage in the season it's imprudent, without evidence and against the fact that what you're doing is working, to risk those minutes when games are close or we're behind.

I don't know what Yeo's expectations are of the PP2. I full understand and support him not gifting time to them, but the fact that he came out and said he needed to see more from them, while putting them in a situation where they're far more likely to fail, just seems... I can't even think of a proper word here.

I just don't know what he thinks he needs to see. Is it 2 shots? Is it a goal? Is it a goal that actually counts for 2 goals because the goalie scored it? I don't know. It just doesn't seem like he's going to play the PP2 unless, like you said, we're way up in a game. Even if we're 1/3 on the PP, and PP2 scored that goal, it still seems like he's just going to roll PP1 if the game is still close.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
mike russo was pandering. Yeo's job wasn't in peril at any point.

i would agree our offense was expected to be better. I'd say much better. we actually looked like we were going that route at the beginning of the year. the ****** goaltending has a trickle down effect though, in that it leaves guys feeling less free to take chances.

To be fair, I didn't say his job was in peril, I said his jobs been questioned. Yes, questioned means only by people in the media or by fans, but good successful coaches never have their job questioned if the team is meeting expectations.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Given the circumstances of the season? With how much money is invested in this team, and what the expectations were coming in, you being okay with sitting in the bottom 10 teams in the league is significantly more stupid than me not being ok with it.

Oh ya know, let's just have our Top 4 play in about 4 of the 30 games because of injuries and illnesses. Let's be the team that was very severely affected by the Mumps outbreak, as much as any other team. Let's have our #1 goalie going into the season, kick the wall, break his foot, and be forced to start someone we were going to initially play in the AHL. Let's have a league worse Team SV%, while allowing the fewest shots per game. I'm not okay with sitting in the bottom 10, but I know this team isn't a bottom 10 team because of what they've done in the past and being able to objectively look at what's occurred this season and not completely jump ship.

Two things here:
1) We had Vezina caliber goaltending from Harding, and pretty good goaltending from Kuemper last year. Without a doubt, Harding was a major reason we finished as high as we did.
2) But if our team is SO good, as to make the powerhouse tandem of Bryz and Kuemper, and even Curry, acceptable goaltenders, then why isn't it doing it again this year?

Vezina caliber goaltending up until what? Late December?

Why isn't it doing it again this year? Well, I don't know, because our goalies have a league worst Team SV%? That might be it. Or the fact that the team has to take chances because they know they need to score 4-5 goals a game to win because Kuemper is a headcase who can only stop 1 or 2 shots before letting in a easy goal and then start tail-spinning.

Yeah, and everyone knew Colorado overachieved last year, and look at where they are this year. We may have outplayed them those games, but we still didn't get the W's. That's a problem in and of itself.

Still doesn't live up to your argument that we "barely" made it out of a series that was against the Central leader that year. We were the better team in that series and we ended up on top. Who cares how they're playing this year? They were able to beat out St. Louis and Chicago for the top spot.

Yeah, but we can speculate all the hell we want. The guy with the power is Fletcher, and he believes in Yeo so much so that he gave him a 3 year extension despite all of this talk of his job "being in question" for 3 of 4 years.

Optimism =/= Having High Hopes

It's being able to look at things from a positive viewpoint, even during negative situations. No team, regardless of the coaches, would be in a much better place this year if they had to deal with everything we've dealt with.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Again, injuries and illnesses happen, they are not excuses for a team built like this to be a bottom 10 team in the league.

Harding played 2 games after returning from a Foot injury, before he went out with an MS break, which has kept him out since. Relying on him was a bad idea.

Kuemper was not initially going to start in the AHL. The reason he held out on contract negotiations was to get a one-way so he could start in the NHL. We gave him that.

Just because I'm expressing criticism on the current state of the team, doesn't mean I can't see a brighter future. Just because I see a brighter future doesn't mean I can't be extremely dissatisfied with how they've performed this year.

This is the 2014-2015 Wild Discussion thread, where we discuss the team that's playing this year. You don't want to see posts with negative thoughts? Go create your own thread for the bright, happy, cheery Wild of 2016 and beyond.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it's ridiculous that Mike Yeo is calling out the 2nd PP unit when the team is 25th in PP% and the 1st unit gets on average 2-3 times as much ice time per game.

Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just so you know, Spurgeon, the Penguins just beat Winnipeg 5-3 without Crosby, Malkin and Fleury.

That's why you don't use injuries as an excuse. Good teams win games regardless of who's not playing.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Again, injuries and illnesses happen, they are not excuses for a team built like this to be a bottom 10 team in the league.

Harding played 2 games after returning from a Foot injury, before he went out with an MS break, which has kept him out since. Relying on him was a bad idea.

Kuemper was not initially going to start in the AHL. The reason he held out on contract negotiations was to get a one-way so he could start in the NHL. We gave him that.

Just because I'm expressing criticism on the current state of the team, doesn't mean I can't see a brighter future. Just because I see a brighter future doesn't mean I can't be extremely dissatisfied with how they've performed this year.

This is the 2014-2015 Wild Discussion thread, where we discuss the team that's playing this year. You don't want to see posts with negative thoughts? Go create your own thread for the bright, happy, cheery Wild of 2016 and beyond.

It's the discussion of the team. It doesn't need to be specific to this year, we can talk about the future of the team, as well. Harding might have been able to get us to December again, the fact of the matter is, NO TEAM is going to be in a playoff position with sub .900 Team SV%.

Injuries and illnesses happen, but you're not going to be a successful team if you're letting in 3-4 goals a game because of shoddy goaltending.

The centers are underperforming, but the young players have taken a step up, and the Wild have 7 of 10 points in their last 5 games. .700 the rest of the way is undoubtedly getting us a playoff spot, so while I'm not satisfied with being a bottom 10 team, I have a pretty good feeling this team isn't anywhere near being a bottom 10 team and they're going to have a strong rebound and push for the playoffs THIS year.

You don't want to get retorted when you post something negative (which is pretty much everything you post)? Then don't reply to posts that are trying to look for bright spots in this ****** start to a season.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Just so you know, Spurgeon, the Penguins just beat Winnipeg 5-3 without Crosby, Malkin and Fleury.

That's why you don't use injuries as an excuse. Good teams win games regardless of who's not playing.

Whoa, one game? Hell, if winning one game makes you a good team, then we've been a good team, 21 games this year!

How many games did we win last year when we had injuries to Spurgeon, Harding, Koivu, and Parise?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The Wild have been stuck mediocrity for 15 years because they wasted the first decade. The modern NHL, being a new franchise should be viewed as an advantage. You can tank for 5 years, grabbing a ton of elite talent, and nobody really will give the team or GM grief.

But the Wild have to pick an initial GM who is complete garbage at drafting and developing talent. So
the only assets on the team were the few no brainer picks and nothing else. And then get a coach who played boring hockey to get the team to overperform so our draft pick falls.

2003 was awesome, but I would trade that for a do over of the entire DR era.

It's not like our expansion brethren are doing much better. Columbus has never won a playoff series, and their drafting hasn't been lights out either. Hell, Atalnta lost their entire team.

Nashville has probably been the best, but they also have a 2 year head start. Even with that, they've never won a division or made it to a conference final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad