2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Plenty of season left. This isn't the Vikings where you look at them at the beginning of the year and roll your eyes. Where we are right now is certainly frustrating, but we do have the talent to pull out of this.

picture a swirling vortex of positive energy following the team around, zapping them with rainbows, sparkles, and b vitamins. all will be well.

Slick Willy*

While I love Suter, I'm just not sure about him.

His offensive production is pretty much nil, and when I viewed Byfuglien yesterday in comparison it kind of made me want.

If nothing else Suter will eat minutes, and he will not make any dumb defensive plays that will cost us when he's on the ice.

But watching Byfuglien yesterday - his physicality, offensive threat, ice presence - I can't help but wonder if a guy like him wouldn't be a better fit with what we're trying to do.

Eh, wouldn't be nice if we could keep Suter and add a Byfuglien? Would be nice to dream.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
no, byfuglien wouldn't be a better fit. our team relies on puck movement and possession. we're not trying to bulldoze people. as a complimentary player sure, he'd be great in that big body physical role (Stoner, and what we want to see out of guys like falk and Folin) because he has skill to go with it but our game is based around what Suter's strengths are.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Suter has 22 points in 32 games so far this season while Buff has 20 points in 37 games.

Suter's also been dealing with the mumps lately, and even though he's back I'd be willing to bet donuts that he's still getting over it (Crosby has been struggling lately too post-mumps).

Sure, Buff's physicality would be nice, but he also takes himself out of position at times for those big hits and puts himself in the box for the sake of that physicality.

I'd still take Suter 10 times out of 10 over Byfuglien, and I am in no way saying that Buff is garbage.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
While I love Suter, I'm just not sure about him.

His offensive production is pretty much nil, and when I viewed Byfuglien yesterday in comparison it kind of made me want.

If nothing else Suter will eat minutes, and he will not make any dumb defensive plays that will cost us when he's on the ice.

But watching Byfuglien yesterday - his physicality, offensive threat, ice presence - I can't help but wonder if a guy like him wouldn't be a better fit with what we're trying to do.

Eh, wouldn't be nice if we could keep Suter and add a Byfuglien? Would be nice to dream.

Good Lord. Suter is universally considered a top 5, if not top 3 in the game, and now we want to replace him?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter leads our team in assists, is third in scoring overall, and is on pace for 50 points. Think you're barking up the wrong tree. I do get concerned that Yeo is overplaying him, and in the event that we make the playoffs he will have nothing left. Buff is nowhere near the player he is defensively.

Weird that you would focus on Suter and not someone like Brodin, who has a minuscule point output.

Slick Willy*

Good Lord. Suter is universally considered a top 5, if not top 3 in the game, and now we want to replace him?

I think it's the power play that just leaves me frustrated that he never seems to score.

And I know it's not just me because I've seen a ton of it from posters here that think that Suter (top 5, if not top 3, in your own words) shouldn't even be a main stay on our PP.

Slick Willy*

Let me just clarify that I believe that Suter should have won the Norris last year.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think it's the power play that just leaves me frustrated that he never seems to score.

And I know it's not just me because I've seen a ton of it from posters here that think that Suter (top 5, if not top 3, in your own words) shouldn't even be a main stay on our PP.

Suter leads the team in PP points (0 goals, 7 assists). Yes, he's not scoring the goals, but unless your name is Zach Parise or Nino Niederreiter, there's not a lot of PP goal scoring on the team in general.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
This is actually a good comparison in terms of where they are at in their careers, both 29 years old, 10th NHL season, etc. The fact that you want Buff over Suter is atrocious but to each his own.

Buff is a career -46 player who has NEVER had a season where his +/- finished with +. He is a 0 this year so far, bet he finishes again below that mark.

Suter is a career +62 and has had one season where he finished with a - however.

Buff has had two seasons in his career where he averaged over 24 minutes/game (one was the lockout shortened year)

Suter has 6 seasons over 24 mins/game. Not counting 2009-2010 where his avg was 23:59.

These are defensemen after all and Suter has been the epitome of a top notch NHL defensemen.

Granted Suter played a bunch more games but hey, that doesn't mean anything other than he is flat out better. Buff is a much better goal scoring defensemen (by far) and I will admit it every time, but for the position they play, Suter is hands down a better option.

*Stats don't include playoffs

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Suter shouldn't be on the #1 PP because he just doesn't have a very good shot. Look at Scandella's shot last night...that was a monster. Absolutely ripped it. He should be on that top unit alongside Spurgeon, who has a good one-timer and isn't afraid to rip it.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
whens the last time Spurgeron or Pominville cashed in on one of those four 1 timers they take on a single PP? Its pathetic if you ask me, both should never 1 time that shot again.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
whens the last time Spurgeron or Pominville cashed in on one of those four 1 timers they take on a single PP? Its pathetic if you ask me, both should never 1 time that shot again.

Seriously. It never works. And the pass across to them is always slow so the goalie has more than enough time to get in position anyway. I guess the only good thing about that is the potential for a rebound, but they miss the net half the time anyway.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, there's still probably a mixed review of Carter so far, but he's been as good as advertised from what I've seen. Probably takes a few too many stupid penalties, but if you take that out of his game, he's been solid.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, there's still probably a mixed review of Carter so far, but he's been as good as advertised from what I've seen. Probably takes a few too many stupid penalties, but if you take that out of his game, he's been solid.

I'd say this describes him well. I've liked his game so far, especially on the fourth line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Carter has been great, especially when you consider his minuscule salary.

I agree that Suter is not the answer as the trigger man on the PP, but I think we are all taking for granted his abilites when it comes to entering the zone and setting up. A truly crappy PP doesn't even get in the O zone for any sustained time. We do not have that problem, mainly due to Suter's excellent decisions which allow us to enter the zone cleanly. Spurgeon might be able to fill the same role.

What drives me friggin crazy is having Pominville on the point. He is not the guy you want bombing a slapper from the blue line. Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin, maybe even Folin are all better in that department and all( with the possible exception of Folin) will make better passing decisions from the back end. It's only natural, they are used to seeing the game from back there.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Should go back and pull some of those posts from when we signed him. Some ridiculous ones back then.

Looking back, it was mostly indifference, with a few hopeful comments that it would relegate Bickel to the minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad