Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Ducks Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
It is my understanding that Shea Theodore's junior season and career has come to an end. If so why hasn't he signed an ATO with Norfolk? He could get some experience for next season. Just curious if the Ducks were shutting him down for the year.

I'm curious as to why he hasn't signed an amateur try-out yet. Maybe the Ducks feel he'd be better served practicing with a playoff-bound NHL team rather than play a few games with an AHL team that isn't.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'm curious as to why he hasn't signed an amateur try-out yet. Maybe the Ducks feel he'd be better served practicing with a playoff-bound NHL team rather than play a few games with an AHL team that isn't.

This was my thought as well.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Thanks

Both Joeman's and Corey Peary's answers dovetailed with what I think may be the situation. Norfolk only has 4 games left. But I appreciate the fair answers here. Thanks.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
IMO that's a dumb decision by Roy. I think he needs to be in the AHL next year if he wants a chance to make the NHL. He's had nothing to prove in college for over a year now. He's not challenged in that league and clearly needs to play against bigger/stronger players and start making the adjustment.

If he wants to finish his degree, that's fair. But if this is to use the loophole to sign with another team then I'm not sure it's a good decision for his future as a hockey player at all

For Roy, this is the smartest decision he could make IMO. He sees a loaded Ducks line up that plays in the WEST, where grit and big bodies is the norm. He'll expect at least 2 years in the AHL in Anaheim. If he waits the year, he's an unrestricted free agent and he can pick the team and the situation that gets him to the NHL the fastest. He also loses a year off of his entry level contract, just like Justin Schultz and Kevin Hayes this year.

The same thing is going to happen next year to Nashville. Vesey is a junior and would be the best player in college hockey if Eichel wasn't there this year. If this kid is smart, and I assume he is because he got into Harvard. He'd go back his senior year, get his Harvard degree and then be the biggest college free agent next year and go straight to the NHL.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
A couple things we need to keep in mind about Roy's decision:

1.He was 19 when we drafted him which means he was undoubtedly enrolled in some kind of college during his last year in Lincoln. So unless he was taking meaningless classes that couldn't transfer he really shouldn't many courses left to take. Certainly not so many that can't be completed in summer school like most players do who come out early. Echoing what Eddie said, foregoing Brown for Northeastern certainly suggests to me education isn't his priority.

2. Northeastern has gotten worse each year he's been there. He might really like it there and feel connected to the team but if he has dreams about one more kick at a national championship he's probably going to be in for a rude awakening. Maybe he covets winning the Hobey Baker? I don't know. He doesn't really need another of year of college hockey to prove his worth to the Ducks that's for sure.

3. The Gulls could really use him. He's 22 and should be ready for the jump. He was a prolific scorer in probably the best conference in college hockey. He'd be a big addition for the Gulls. Right now the only legit rookie coming our way next season is Ritchie. Kerdiles and Noesen still need full seasons under their belt but there's absolutely a spot for Roy to be an impact player. Another year in college does not equate to the opportunity he'd have playing in San Diego next season.

All in all I think this is a bad sign. The only reason for him to have an even bigger season than his last two would be to showcase himself to other teams in my opinion. I won't lose sleep at all losing Wellinski but I'll be really disappointed if Roy cuts us loose.
Theodore, Montour, but thats on D.

Anyways the top four wings will be some combination of:

Ritchie - Kerdiles
Friberg - Noesen

Maybe Roy is not interested in playing a bottom six role, or just wants to finish school and play with his brother. Nonetheless its disconcerting to see that Roy did not sign, as the Gulls are really lacking depth at the forward position. Also Ducks fans are still ever weary of what happened with Schultz, and a 4th season for Roy could mean him getting even more attention from other teams.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Theodore, Montour, but thats on D.

Anyways the top four wings will be some combination of:

Ritchie - Kerdiles
Friberg - Noesen

Maybe Roy is not interested in playing a bottom six role, or just wants to finish school and play with his brother. Nonetheless its disconcerting to see that Roy did not sign, as the Gulls are really lacking depth at the forward position. Also Ducks fans are still ever weary of what happened with Schultz, and a 4th season for Roy could mean him getting even more attention from other teams.

All rookies have to earn their spots in the lineup, minors or not. If he's so concerned about where he fits on the depth chart in the minors than this kid can walk for all I care. I'm sick of these prima donnas thinking they're entitled to anything before they ever play a game of pro hockey.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No it's not. In fact, the only "loophole" about it is that guys in that position can become a UFA 30 days after they leave school as opposed to August 15th after they graduate.

To do that, you have delay starting college until a full year after you were drafted. So, they wait the same 4 years, but they don't graduate and don't have to wait until August. The guys who go back in the draft, junior players and Europeans, do so after two years of their draft, so this isn't some special advantage for NCAA players.

Yeah, that's it. It's the magic window of being able to not be on the active roster loophole. Thanks for looking that up (or knowing it). :nod:

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
It seems like Nick Richie is doing quite well in the playoffs so far for the Greyhounds.

I'm not too knowledgeable on how the CHL vs AHL transition works but would he likely continue to play for the Greyhounds next year or will he join the Gulls?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It seems like Nick Richie is doing quite well in the playoffs so far for the Greyhounds.

I'm not too knowledgeable on how the CHL vs AHL transition works but would he likely continue to play for the Greyhounds next year or will he join the Gulls?

This is Ritchie's last year in the CHL, he can't be sent there. Right now, San Diego or Anaheim are his options. We'll probably know more about that during the training camps next summer.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
i kinda hope he plays with the ducks next season. I wanna see him with perry and getzlaf

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
T

We shouldn't underestimate his desire to play with his brother. DRoy will be the starting goaltender for Northeastern next season. During their college career, KRoy has only played in front of his brother for a handful of games. If I had to guess what his priorities are, I'd rank them:

1-Hockey
2-Playing with his brother
3-Academics

We still have no idea what Anaheim management said to him. If they told him it's up to him as to what he wanted to do next season then it makes perfect sense that he wanted to play a full season with his brother in net while also finishing up school.

To go and state that this is a bad sign is jumping the gun a bit. Also, assuming he doesn't want to be in a bottom 6 role is a bit of a stretch too. Roy should know he's coming into a very talented system.

And to answer what TheJoeMan said regarding NU not having a chance at an NCAA title - that is probably true. However, I'm not sure what the incoming class looks like (I'll research and update at a later date). It should also be noted that NU doesn't need an NCAA title to consider it a great season. A Beanpot win and/or a Hockey East title would be more than enough. If Roy is the cornerstone of either of those accomplishments it would be a great success for him.

Oct 18, 2011
the good thing about ritchie's situation is he isn't under the ridiculous CHL rules anymore, so even if he's a bubble player next year atleast he can go to the AHL and be available for a callup at any time.

will be very interesting i don't expect the ducks to break the bank for beleskey so that leaves a spot where if he's ready, ritchie may be good for although there will be alot of competition

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the good thing about ritchie's situation is he isn't under the ridiculous CHL rules anymore, so even if he's a bubble player next year atleast he can go to the AHL and be available for a callup at any time.

will be very interesting i don't expect the ducks to break the bank for beleskey so that leaves a spot where if he's ready, ritchie may be good for although there will be alot of competition

I doubt he'll be that high up the organizational depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad