Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Ducks Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Kevin Roy
‏@Roy_K15
Thrilled to be returning to @GoNUmhockey for my senior year. Looking forward to a successful season #GoNU

Jesus, Roy too? As long as this b******* loophole still exists, Bob won't be drafting any more NCAA kids, that's for sure (unless we somehow get Eichel :nod:).

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
A Blow to the Offense

Hopefully the Ducks are looking to improve the offensive output of San Diego next season from the anemic offense in Norfolk this season. Not having Roy will not help that situation at all.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Jesus, Roy too? As long as this b******* loophole still exists, Bob won't be drafting any more NCAA kids, that's for sure (unless we somehow get Eichel :nod:).

As long as it happens to only a few teams, especially when one of the teams is the Ducks, the NHL won't do anything to change it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
IMO that's a dumb decision by Roy. I think he needs to be in the AHL next year if he wants a chance to make the NHL. He's had nothing to prove in college for over a year now. He's not challenged in that league and clearly needs to play against bigger/stronger players and start making the adjustment.

If he wants to finish his degree, that's fair. But if this is to use the loophole to sign with another team then I'm not sure it's a good decision for his future as a hockey player at all

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You guys need to learn what a loophole is.

Also very tough to say if Roy is going to try and leave as a FA. He was a mid round pick, so it's hardly crazy he'd stay for his senior year, and will lose an entire summer if he chooses to go that route. There isn't really much for him to gain.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You guys need to learn what a loophole is.

Also very tough to say if Roy is going to try and leave as a FA. He was a mid round pick, so it's hardly crazy he'd stay for his senior year, and will lose an entire summer if he chooses to go that route. There isn't really much for him to gain.
Exactly. Right now there is nothing to suggest he will become FA.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Roy was originally committed to Brown before switching to Northeastern, it wouldn't be any kind of surprise if his education was some kind of priority.

Except isn't Northeastern the "hockey" school and Brown the more prestigious education? Seems like I recall he switched schools for the betterment of his hockey career, not his education.

But I'm not saying he is returning solely to become a UFA. I don't claim to know those things.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Kevin Gravel is the better comparison for Welinski and Roy and hopefully they learn from his experience. He went the UFA route and nobody signed him...spent the year in Manchester under contract to the Monarchs.

I am fairly confident that if/when Welinski and Roy are ready to go pro, they will sign with the Ducks.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Except isn't Northeastern the "hockey" school and Brown the more prestigious education? Seems like I recall he switched schools for the betterment of his hockey career, not his education.

But I'm not saying he is returning solely to become a UFA. I don't claim to know those things.

Obviously he did make that switch, and going to Brown had a lot to do with playing with his brother, but the fact that he picked out and got into an Ivy League school says a lot. Just saying he might value his education more than the average NHL draft pick.

To he honest, he's probably smart to finish up and get his degree. His future in hockey is anything but guaranteed, a guy in that position probably should have that fall back. It'd be a little different if he was a sure-fire NHLer.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I think it's wrong to just assume Roy is trying to go the Schultz route. I'm not an expert on how that loophole works but I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't really available for him.

Roy's decision to go to Northeastern made a lot of sense. Aside from wanting to play with his brother, he went to a school with a better hockey program (as of late) and one that plays in the most competitive division in the NCAA. And while NU's education isn't as prestige as Brown, it's still a Top 50 school in the US in regards to academics.

It's impossible to know why he chose to stay but I did state earlier in this thread that it was a pretty good possibility that he would. Until we know how talks went with Anaheim we'll have no idea. How often does management release info about this kind of stuff?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think it's wrong to just assume Roy is trying to go the Schultz route. I'm not an expert on how that loophole works but I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't really available for him.

Roy's decision to go to Northeastern made a lot of sense. Aside from wanting to play with his brother, he went to a school with a better hockey program (as of late) and one that plays in the most competitive division in the NCAA. And while NU's education isn't as prestige as Brown, it's still a Top 50 school in the US in regards to academics.

It's impossible to know why he chose to stay but I did state earlier in this thread that it was a pretty good possibility that he would. Until we know how talks went with Anaheim we'll have no idea. How often does management release info about this kind of stuff?

Regardless of his intentions, I can tell you right now that he's not going the Schultz route. Schultz was a junior, Roy will be a senior. There's no loophole with Roy; If he graduates and doesn't sign, his rights expire, simple as that. It's not ********, it just is what it is.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The loophole was Schultz being able to declare himself an UFA as opposed to having to go back into the draft. I don't remember the specifics about what needed to be done for that stunt, and I'm not motivated enough to look them up.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Regardless of his intentions, I can tell you right now that he's not going the Schultz route. Schultz was a junior, Roy will be a senior. There's no loophole with Roy; If he graduates and doesn't sign, his rights expire, simple as that. It's not ********, it just is what it is.

Ok, so what I thought I read was correct. That option isn't available for him.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The loophole was Schultz being able to declare himself an UFA as opposed to having to go back into the draft. I don't remember the specifics about what needed to be done for that stunt, and I'm not motivated enough to look them up.

No it's not. In fact, the only "loophole" about it is that guys in that position can become a UFA 30 days after they leave school as opposed to August 15th after they graduate.

To do that, you have delay starting college until a full year after you were drafted. So, they wait the same 4 years, but they don't graduate and don't have to wait until August. The guys who go back in the draft, junior players and Europeans, do so after two years of their draft, so this isn't some special advantage for NCAA players.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ok, so what I thought I read was correct. That option isn't available for him.

Correct, you have to be 4 years removed from your draft in any sense.

I also just found an article from 2012 about education being a major priority for the Roy family (hence why he didn't go Major Junior), so staying for his senior year should come as no surprise.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
had 2 goals last night to
the bust is doing pretty good so far

Ritchie could be the offensive superstar stud that we have been waitig for, who can eventually take the baton from Pears and Getz. He has all the attributes you want from a power forward. He is huge, he is skilled, he can skate, and he is really mean. The best thing about him is that he raised his game in the playoffs and becomes a beast. He did it last year, and he looks like he is doing it again this year. I don't know if it is better to play him with the twins or team him with Kesler to form two really dangerous lines.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ritchie could be the offensive superstar stud that we have been waitig for, who can eventually take the baton from Pears and Getz. He has all the attributes you want from a power forward. He is huge, he is skilled, he can skate, and he is really mean. The best thing about him is that he raised his game in the playoffs and becomes a beast. He did it last year, and he looks like he is doing it again this year. I don't know if it is better to play him with the twins or team him with Kesler to form two really dangerous lines.

Bruce will pair him with Fowler, probably, anyway :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ritchie is the next Todd Bertuzzi circa 2003. Or better yet the next Cam Neely.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
A couple things we need to keep in mind about Roy's decision:

1.He was 19 when we drafted him which means he was undoubtedly enrolled in some kind of college during his last year in Lincoln. So unless he was taking meaningless classes that couldn't transfer he really shouldn't many courses left to take. Certainly not so many that can't be completed in summer school like most players do who come out early. Echoing what Eddie said, foregoing Brown for Northeastern certainly suggests to me education isn't his priority.

2. Northeastern has gotten worse each year he's been there. He might really like it there and feel connected to the team but if he has dreams about one more kick at a national championship he's probably going to be in for a rude awakening. Maybe he covets winning the Hobey Baker? I don't know. He doesn't really need another of year of college hockey to prove his worth to the Ducks that's for sure.

3. The Gulls could really use him. He's 22 and should be ready for the jump. He was a prolific scorer in probably the best conference in college hockey. He'd be a big addition for the Gulls. Right now the only legit rookie coming our way next season is Ritchie. Kerdiles and Noesen still need full seasons under their belt but there's absolutely a spot for Roy to be an impact player. Another year in college does not equate to the opportunity he'd have playing in San Diego next season.

All in all I think this is a bad sign. The only reason for him to have an even bigger season than his last two would be to showcase himself to other teams in my opinion. I won't lose sleep at all losing Wellinski but I'll be really disappointed if Roy cuts us loose.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Shea Theodore

It is my understanding that Shea Theodore's junior season and career has come to an end. If so why hasn't he signed an ATO with Norfolk? He could get some experience for next season. Just curious if the Ducks were shutting him down for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad