Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Ducks Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I don't want miss out getting yell out about this. ;)

But then he can't play in college...

So? This kid probably only plays one year in college anyway and now that's going to be half a season. I guess he might play another year now that this season is turning into a bit of a waste. Education doesn't seem to be high on his priority list so pro hockey may have been the best route for him at this point.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

So? This kid probably only plays one year in college anyway and now that's going to be half a season. I guess he might play another year now that this season is turning into a bit of a waste. Education doesn't seem to be high on his priority list so pro hockey may have been the best route for him at this point.

Pro hockey as a 19 year old could stunt his development much, much more than 2 extra months in the USHL. You want to challenge players, not overwhelm them, and if he just isn't ready for the AHL he'll be overwhelmed and his development will stall.

The NCAA is definitely the better choice here, and the risk associated with losing his college eligibility is too high at this point.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
If you think he only plays one year, then that's valid. But I think he plays 2-3 years in college (1.5-2.5 actual time).

If he only wanted to play one year, then he might as well try to go to CHL. Unless he wasn't drafted. So it seems the opposite to me. I think education does seem to be a priority.

Oct 18, 2011

TJM out of all the things you say that people disagree with, your suggestion of Montour skipping college and going straight to Norfolk has got to be right up there.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd be very surprised if Montour didn't spend at least 2 seasons in college.

Yeah. I want him to learn how to play defense than to rely that he's the best player on the ice in midget league. So playing against stronger competition will help Montour gauge his abilities and possibly excel as well. Also, by staying in college, physically, he can get even stronger. There are many benefits to going to college first.

From what I read, Montour should have gone in the fourth or fifth round, but the Ducks lacked picks and picked him early. We should treat him as such. Let him develop at the college level and then bring him over. We're in no dire situation that we need to rush picks, especially unproven ones.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
From what I read, Montour should have gone in the fourth or fifth round, but the Ducks lacked picks and picked him early. We should treat him as such. Let him develop at the college level and then bring him over. We're in no dire situation that we need to rush picks, especially unproven ones.

That sounds like bull****. They could've traded down if that was the case.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

He's 20, not 25. He can play 3 years in college and still be in the NHL before his 24th birthday. Or he can play 2, then go to Norfolk for a year and still be in the NHL before his 24th birthday.

Skipping college at this point and heading straight to Norfolk would be a dumb decision for an offensive defenseman that is undersized...And I'm high on this kids ability

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Boon Jenner vs Rickard Rakell

This post isn`t to bash Rakell.
At the time we drafted him i was like - damn, i wish we`d pick Jenner instead (Saad was one of my choices too). Jenner is versatile too and although i believe CBJ is mostly using him on the wing, he can play center too. To compare - Jenner had a rookie season last year - he had 16 goals, 29 points, 212 hits. Was a very good player for them in the playoffs.

I`m happy with Rakell too, just that i wish he`d be proved himself more at this point. There`s still time of course and that 2011 draft went very well for us, it`s just - you can lways do better i guess. That draft from us was a pretty big Swedish fetish :laugh:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If you think he only plays one year, then that's valid. But I think he plays 2-3 years in college (1.5-2.5 actual time).

If he only wanted to play one year, then he might as well try to go to CHL. Unless he wasn't drafted. So it seems the opposite to me. I think education does seem to be a priority.

I just get the impression that school isn't a strength for him since he's missing the first semester trying to get his grades up to scratch. I mean he's 20, he's been taking some kind of college level courses for two years now and he still has to do more before he can transfer? That and his talent suggested to me college was going to be a one-year thing for him. I would be fine if he were there right now but he's currently playing in a league full of 16 and 17 year-old junior A players. It's a disaster. He'll probably play an extra year in college because of this but if I were the Ducks I have him playing in a better league right away. Again, he's 20. I'm sure he can handle the ECHL at least for a season.

Also can he play in the CHL? Do they take overaged kids who haven't played in the league before? They seem to have strict rules when it comes to the overage year and I can't imagine it's a slamdunk to add a completely new player.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
TJM, I think you are really exaggerating what a few extra months in the USHL will do to his development. If those few months could have that kind of negative impact, why do teams even bother having off-seasons for these kids? Why not play hockey year round? This isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
TJM, I think you are really exaggerating what a few extra months in the USHL will do to his development. If those few months could have that kind of negative impact, why do teams even bother having off-seasons for these kids? Why not play hockey year round? This isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

It's not a big deal but it just sucks this kid is spinning his wheels for half a season. If he's a legit prospect it won't hold him back from being a pro eventually. But I feel like this is going to be a hiccup in his development.

Oct 18, 2011
Kerdiles missed a bunch of NCAA games his first year.
Didn't hurt him at all

Montour has yet to play at a high level of competition, jumping straight from the USHL to a professional league is just a terrible idea

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Kerdiles and Montour aren't really the same, though I doubt it will matter much with Montour in the long run. Kerdiles was still in the right age range(18 year-olds are still common in the USHL) and he was doing it with the NTDP.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Kerdiles missed a bunch of NCAA games his first year.
Didn't hurt him at all

Montour has yet to play at a high level of competition, jumping straight from the USHL to a professional league is just a terrible idea

And he's still not playing a high level of competition, that's the problem. I want to reiterate this isn't a big deal but neither would this 20 year-old playing in the ECHL. You act like that would just kill him. Almost all European hockey players jump from juniors to pro hockey at a much younger age. For me, I don't care for my prospect to be playing junior or college over the age of 20. Unless they are a fringe prospect, really concerned with their education, or just not physically ready for pro hockey. Two of those could very well apply to Montour and this is very much just a little bump in the road.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I noticed all our young players (Etem, DSP, Kerdiles, Noesen, Ritchie, etc.) are all grinder type players and similar skill sets...Do you guys think we should draft a little more skill this coming draft?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I noticed all our young players (Etem, DSP, Kerdiles, Noesen, Ritchie, etc.) are all grinder type players and similar skill sets...Do you guys think we should draft a little more skill this coming draft?

I think you do Kerdiles and Ritchie a disservice comparing them to Etem and DSP as "grinder" players. They both possess high end talent. They just also bring physical play to the table.

Also, you're overlooking Karlsson and Rakell.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I was going to mention Karlsson. He might be the one forward with top end upside in our system at the moment.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think you do Kerdiles and Ritchie a disservice comparing them to Etem and DSP as "grinder" players. They both possess high end talent. They just also bring physical play to the table.

Also, you're overlooking Karlsson and Rakell.
And Roy and Palmieri.

Honestly, they need keep doing what they've been doing. Teams that go looking for specific types of players end up doing stupid things like passing on Cam Fowler.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I was going to mention Karlsson. He might be the one forward with top end upside in our system at the moment.

Yeah, Karlsson just kind of stood out in a big way as someone who has to be mentioned, especially when the statement was that "all" of our young players were grinder types(which, I feel, is not true even if you exclude those names we mentioned... I don't consider Ritchie and Kerdiles grinder types. They are just more in that power forward type of build, and I think that is an important distinction). He could end up being the best player among the listed, and I'm not sure anyone would be surprised.

I also think Exit makes a good point. The team shouldn't be looking to draft based on need, especially in the 1st and 2nd round. You want the players your scouting staff feels are the best, the most talented, and the most likely to amount to something in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad