OEL - Stone
Moore - Murphy
Dahlbeck - Campbell

Smith
Leggio

Lessio down
Gormley down
Domingue down

Its funny that Buffalo thinks they have made the worst roster possible but looking at their forwards..I think that is hardly the case

Moulson/Ennis/Foligno
Des/Hodgson/Gionta
Larsson/Varone/Dalpe
Ellis/Schaller/D'Amigo

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I'd have liked to see Reider down as well, maybe help him find his scoring touch going into next season

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Miss not having capgeek to verify all of this, but we may not be as terribly far off, given the haul from the deadline.

On team next year: Domi and Duclair/Samuelsson will likely be up. 3 if we do get McDavid or Eichel

2 years from now: both Duclair and Samuelsson are up, decent chance with Perlini, decent chance with Dvorak, maybe Marner/Strome if we do not get 1/2

3 years from now, it is absolutely safe to say these players are getting regular time:
2015 1st round pick
Domi
Samuelsson
Duclair
Perlini
Dvorak

Assuming Boedker, Lessio, Rieder, and Gagner stay, that is 10 of the top 12. We still have a potential pipeline in the AHL of LaPlante, Dauphin, Karlsson, Macinnis, and Letunov, all of whom could be ready in 3-6 years/from now. That is not bad for the forwards, considering the only draft pick that I have mentioned is the 2015 1st.

Defense has players who are signed or cost controlled for a little while. We need to be smart about locking up Murphy, Stone, and at least 2 of Dahlbeck, Gormley, and Moore. Get OEL to extend as soon as we can. Other D are a little frightening down the road. Seems like both Mayo and Westlund have more upside than any others, so it would not hurt to monitor that in the draft.

Big picture - 3 years to wait on this will suck, but there have been weirder scenarios where certain players develop at a fast enough rate or the right FA comes along that fits this team like a glove before this 3 year window hits.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Also in 3 seasons many tough teams will be winding down their power grip on playoff spots. Their guys will get older and their replacements will be late round picks. San Jose is already on the way down, Vancouver will be on the down, Flames probably will be competitive, Oilers might be competitive, key star players for the Kings, Ducks, Blues, Hawks will be older.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I also don't want Tippett coaching the kids, because I want an "uptempo" style offense that enhances the abilities of our draft choices.

Domi/Perlini/Duclair/Dauphin/Bunting can all fly

Dvorak isn't a slouch either and remember we also have Boedker, Lessio & Rieder, our roster will be littered with fast, energetic players who by playing a more up tempo style will bring out the best in them.

I don't want Tipp's system, yes it works for "grinding" players, I don't want him to preach "score by committee"...I want him to have a set top 6 and a bottom 6. No more Moss' and Chipchuras and other plugs in the top 6

I'm just so scared to death of how Tippett will stifle the youngsters ability to use their speed and creativity...scares me to death. I want a more offensive minded approach, someone along the lines of Laviolette, let the boys get out there and just run the other team into the ground.

Now, granted, some of the prospects aren't going to make it...all I'm saying is that Maloney is building the team based upon speed, why would we pick a coach that builds his teams after a grinding style.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm actually interested in four skill lines, and if that would work. Teams roll out their scoring lines 60% of a game, right? Essentially conceeding the other 40 in the name of utility and physicality. But the rules have changed. You can't hit what you can't catch. Small players are more viable than ever. Not soft guys, but guys like Gagner, Brule, Prucha. Skill + heart.

What if you rolled lines that were a genuine threat to score 100% of the time? Just as a thought experiment.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
What if you rolled lines that were a genuine threat to score 100% of the time? Just as a thought experiment.

I'm up for this x1000000000000000

Frankly, I'll use a moneyball analogy...the more players that are getting on base, the more runs you will score.

The more offensive players we can put out there, the more offense we will have, yes, the defense may suffer, but I'd say that a line with Rieder/Hanzal/Samuelsson as a 4th line should have stronger possession numbers than the average 4th line make up of Chipchuras/Vitales/Crombeens

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, you'll only be effective doing that as long as it takes for contracts to expire and the salary cap to reach out and bite you in the ass.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Uptempo play is uptempo play. I am certain that if Tippett had more uptempo players to work with, we would be doing so. With Whitney, I feel like we got away from the dump and chase a little more, but still used it effectively with players like Torres, Gordon, and others. Part of the game, but doesn't have to be the most used part of the game, so I understand your feelings on Tip.

I also think that by investing in scouting, we are going to get not just speed, but well-rounded players whom we can work out in many scenarios. Not saying we have to play uptempo for all 60 minutes, but have players who know where to be and effectively perform. That seems like the Tippett style.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
You generally dont go four scoring lines because you cant afford it.

Look at when Canada wen't with their role players during the Olympics, they sucked ass. Then they actually pick the best players then can and they win golds

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Well, you'll only be effective doing that as long as it takes for contracts to expire and the salary cap to reach out and bite you in the ass.

There's an endless supply of guys like Arcobello and Gagner from teams that don't care for them. Cast off prospects that can't cut it on the super serious teams. How many top 6 tweeners are there? A lot, I'd wager. And they'd be cheap.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

I agree...but here is the kicker. The bottom 3 guys who aren't making a ton, because they don't get but 9-10min TOI a night then move into the top 6 (because they can, because they're talented) and you replace them with talent you've developed on the farm.

What you have to have is 'good to great' drafting and development. If you don't have that, then yes, it crumbles very quickly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree...but here is the kicker. The bottom 3 guys who aren't making a ton, because they don't get but 9-10min TOI a night then move into the top 6 (because they can, because they're talented) and you replace them with talent you've developed on the farm.

What you have to have is 'good to great' drafting and development. If you don't have that, then yes, it crumbles very quickly.

If only that easy. As players develop and get better, other teams notice and will try to outbid you and that raises the price of their contracts.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think this is our first rebuild ever in the valley.

2004. We probably got really lucky that full season lockout came when it did. The current state of this team reminds me of that team, and that team has been my gold standard for "difficult to have paid for and watch in person". (And I went to every Orlando Magic game the first 3 years before Shaq and Penny came along.)

I only have a vague recollection of what all happened, as I didn't have the interest in such things as I do after hanging around here at HF a few years, but I went back and looked at that team to try to figure out what did happen...

Top 8 scorers:
Doan
Nagy (hurt? only played 55 games)
Langkow
Mara
Gratton (traded to COL)
Hrdina (traded to NJ)
Savage (traded to Stl)
Radivojevic (traded to PHI)

(Next guy on that list was Suchy. Suchy! He of no goals in his first 150 games...)

We probably got more back from those above than what we just saw, but not *that* much... and by the end of that season we were fielding lineups like this:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/icetracker?id=2003021185

Helmer, Spiller, Novoseltsev, Nash (16 minutes!), Rupp, Stutzel, Westrum... :laugh::cry:

If this team is 3 years from now where that team was 3 years from then, I might be lobbying *for* the out clause, or at least some heavy sedation.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Seriously these names of Coyotes past are really killing me lately. I was hopping never to hear of Matthew Spiller ever again. You mentioned Suchy's goal scoring....Spiller didn't register a single point in 51 games that year.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't even remember Spiller playing those games. I remember his second short little stint, when Shane Doan took a goal away from him by love tapping in a shot that was already headed in, hence his one assist.

I also remember Novoseltsev, and the others, but nothing about their play that year. I can see Chris Gratton in a Coyote jersey in my mind but it skips like a record when I try to remember the details. Self defense mechanism?

Those were some bad teams, with dumb people in charge. Now we've got a bad team with relatively smart people in charge. Change you can believe in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad