2014-2015 Canadiens Roster (aka can we re-sign Vanek) Thread

hogtownhabsfan*

Perhaps he can fall in love with the city and the team and stay, we are able to offer more years than any other team...

But even if we can, we'd have to lose Markov, Murray, and Gionta.

This is our best shot.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Perhaps he can fall in love with the city and the team and stay, we are able to offer more years than any other team...

But even if we can, we'd have to lose Markov, Murray, and Gionta.

This is our best shot.

If Vanek means losing Gionta and Murray, we'll have to pass... I hope you are not serious

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
At this moment in time, I think he's already half checked out of Montreal.

However, I think there will be some mixed emotions when the time comes to actually make the decision once he feels the level of adoration he's going to receive. Especially since he's never been in a market that can even come close to comparing to the kind of fandom he'd receive here.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
As of right now, he wants to head to Minnesota.

However, if we as Habs fans, as well as management, show him how much we want him on our team, he could theoretically change his mind.

He also has to think of his family as well.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I just realized the guy has already earned over 50M$ at the age of 30.

I can't believe that a 2-3M$ difference over 7 years is gonna cut it. If he signs here, it won't only be because of money, but more because he likes the organization, the city and the fanbase

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
To me, the argument that suggests that Vanek stays in Montreal is that the Wild is a middling team at best in terms of revenue http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/ , so while they may be able to fit him under the cap, they may not want to spend up to the cap, in the manner the Habs easily can.

As for the roster, I am intrigued by the idea of De La Rose making the team out of camp, and with both Tinordi and Beaulieu making it on the big team out of camp.

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Vanek - Plekanec - Galchenyuk
Bournival - Eller - De La Rose
Prust/Moen - White - Weise
Moen/Prust (Brière Bourque)

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Beaulieu/Tinordi
Gorges - Weaver
Tinordi/Beaulieu Murray

Price
Dubnyk

Could see Bourque bought out or traded, perhaps also Brière if cap space needed. Alternate Tinordi and Beaulieu, or play them both if injuries force our hand.

Edit: according to the Forbes link above, they are losing more money than any other team right now, despite being #20 in revenue.
Edit2: this kind of depth makes this team a juggernaut, and a nightmare to match up against. Could easily see Galchenyuk become a #2 center, pushing Pleks to #3 and Eller to #4.

Last edited:

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Vanek is here forever.

url

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
1) Hearts and minds can be changed
2) Vanek might want Minnesota but can Minnesota want Vanek - they've got 7 roster spots to fill and need to find a goaltender.

Not a done deal by any stretch.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If you watch the Video on TSN with John Lu, he basically says he's going to july 1st, only chance we can get him is if Minny doesn't want him, we overpay and other teams don't.

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
If you watch the Video on TSN with John Lu, he basically says he's going to july 1st, only chance we can get him is if Minny doesn't want him, we overpay and other teams don't.

this is what i am thinking too.. but after playing for the sabres and the islanders, i can understand why he would want to test FA.. if montreal can win a round or two in the PO, maybe he will change his mind.. (im doubtfull, but hopeing)

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
That's a very steep offer for a 30 years old player!

UFA rarely comes cheap and there really isn't much on the market this summer. I expect him to get offers between 8.5 and 9 and with taxes and everything Montreal would have to offer closer to 9m.

I would't have a problem with that contract myself, then again, it's not my money!

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
Give him 9M x 8years. He might think about staying.

Yikes... More money than Crosby for a 30 year old guy? I could live with 9M$ but not 8 years.

I'm excited about us getting Vanek like everybody here but let's not lose our mind.

Vanek is good now but when he doesn't score he gets a little lazy... I don't see him scoring 40+ goals in 4-5 years form now, but by that time the cap will be in 80M$-85M$...

My lineup, I couldn't put Steve Ott unfortunately

CAP: 71M$
Salary CAP Payroll: 70,2M$
Bonus: 3,3M$
Space: 0,9M$

2014-2015
FORWARDS

Gallagher ($0.685m)-Plekanec ($5.000m)-Vanek ($8.300m)
Pacioretty ($4.500m)-Desharnais ($3.500m)-Galchenyuk ($0.925m)
Prust ($2.500m)-Eller ($2.000m)-Briere ($4.000m)
Moen ($1.850m)-White ($0.950m)-Bournival ($0.660m)
Weise ($0.788m)

DEFENSEMEN
Markov ($5.000m)-Subban ($7.500m)
Emelin ($4.100m)-Beaulieu ($0.925m)
Gorges ($3.900m)-Tinordi ($0.870m)
Murray ($1.400m)

GOALTENDERS
Price ($6.500m)
Budaj ($1.400m)

BUYOUTS
R.Bourque ($1.667m)

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Bringing back Markov should still be priority over Vanek - the former is going to listen to our offers first even if he's not going to be as cheap as we'd like, and while he's a little older, there's a lot less chance he mails it in like Vanek has a habit of. And Vanek has a history of picking up constant minor injuries.

Assuming the rest of the season isn't a train wreck, we probably have an advantage over most teams in signing Vanek, but the Wild still hold the cards. He's the type of player you pay a premium for, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving him as many years as possible. Let's see how he does, but with the Islanders he was going out of his way to avoid contact, and depending on how checked out he is here will make speculation easier.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
Alright City of Montreal, roll out the red carpet for the Vanek family. Make them feel special and at home. We gotta do some wooing to get him to stay here. I'm hoping Minny resigns Moulson as a cheaper alterntive to Vanek leaving Vanek with a higher likelihood of resigning with the habs.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
Vanek also stated to John Lu "I'm excited to test free agency, I've never done it before in my career. So I really want to do it."

Looks like we'll get a hat in the ring, but seems like his intentions are to hit the market for a pay day or just a one way to Minny. Time will tell.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You'd need to let Gionta & possibly Markov walk to have enough space or you'd need to sign some of our crew at discounts. (e.g. Markov at <6mil$, Subban <8mil$, Eller <3mil$)

The way it's going I think it'll be Markov at 6.5mil & Subban at 7.75mil, Eller might be at 2.75. It's going to be difficult.

Could find space by shopping or buying out Bourque and/or shopping Gorges.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Yikes... More money than Crosby for a 30 year old guy?

It's a new CBA so you can't have 12 years contract anymore. Crosby earns 12M for the first 3 years, 10M the next 3 and then 9M, etc...

Vanek is the first big name since the lockout to become UFA. Just look at least year's "big name" Clarkson got a generous contract

I'm excited about us getting Vanek like everybody here but let's not lose our mind.

Tell that to NHL GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad