Line Combos: 2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
I think the best course action at this point is a tank job. Ryan to Philly for Brayden Scheen+ 2015 1st, still resign Mac for veteran leadership, Methot for 2015 2nd (to help us tank) and keep Anderson to split starts with Lehner as he builds up. Suck hard enough for one of McDavid, Eichel or Barzal.

More realistically,
I think Konecny and Kylington are better. Konecny is underrated b/c of his height but he has local flavour because he plays for the 67's, Kylington is Swedish and a LHD, can be Karlsson's partner. I don't think we will be worse than Calgary and Buffalo (still) and maybe a few other teams.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
You guys are all nuts. The Eastern Conference is basically the AHL compared to the West. This team of young, upcoming players is going to make for extremely entertaining hockey next year. No more lethargic BS on the ice. It will be a lot of hard work and effort, just like the team was when Spezza was injured.

I am worried about the defense though.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Once again, tanking does not mean you will get McDavid. I believe the nhl is making changes to the draft lottery system that will make tanking obsolete.

So ****ing stop with the tanking idea.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
You guys are all nuts. The Eastern Conference is basically the AHL compared to the West. This team of young, upcoming players is going to make for extremely entertaining hockey next year. No more lethargic BS on the ice. It will be a lot of hard work and effort, just like the team was when Spezza was injured.

We made it 2 years ago with what was nearly our AHL team, so we do have a chance at the playoffs. Hoping that defense bounces back and it was just a case of Cowen, Wier and Gryba all having their softmore slumps at once.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zbad-Stone
Hoffman-Lazar/Pageau-Chiasson
Greening-Smith-Condra
Smith

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Gryba
Ceci-Wier
Boro/Phillips

I'm honestly hoping Neil and Phillps see as few games as possible, let the youth play!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just curious, as a former highly regarded prospect Cowen has kind of gone under the radar recently. How is he doing on the Sens and what kind of minutes is he looking at in the immediate future?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Just curious, as a former highly regarded prospect Cowen has kind of gone under the radar recently. How is he doing on the Sens and what kind of minutes is he looking at in the immediate future?

Cowen was complete and utter garbage last season. I am giving him one more season before i completely give up on him.

I expect him to play top 4 minutes even though he is ****ing not ready for that amount of minutes yet.

Othello*

Ryan Turris Stone
MacArther Zib Chiasson
Hoffman Pageau Michalek
Greening Smith Condra

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Semi-agree. If everything goes right, this team can sneak into the playoffs. On the other hand, this team can also land a top 5 pick as well.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

His development has been disappointing. Injuries have potentially ruined him but he still has a chance to be a 2nd pairing dman. He's shown no offensive ability and has a crappy breakout. His skating is below average. His hockey sense is well below average. He played scared this season because of the hip injury, so his physicalness and toughness disappeared. His only use is PKing at this point.

Im hoping he only averages 15-17mins next season. However, our d corp is pure garbage so he'll get 18-22, sadly.

Most likely he'll top out as a Bryan Allen. A #4-#5 dman.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
His development has been disappointing. Injuries have potentially ruined him but he still has a chance to be a 2nd pairing dman. He's shown no offensive ability and has a crappy breakout. His skating is below average. His hockey sense is well below average. He played scared this season because of the hip injury, so his physicalness and toughness disappeared. His only use is PKing at this point.

Im hoping he only averages 15-17mins next season. However, our d corp is pure garbage so he'll get 18-22, sadly.

Way to go with the negativity :handclap:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Totally agree and i think you're being optimistic on the bryan allen potential. Guy should be in the AHL learning how to play hockey again.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Man, Turris will have so much load on him, Im not sure he will be able to carry it. We cant rely on him to be our shutdown guy and our offensive guy. Even contenders have both.

Turris is not an elite shutdown guy nor is he an elite offensive player.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
We made it 2 years ago with what was nearly our AHL team, so we do have a chance at the playoffs. Hoping that defense bounces back and it was just a case of Cowen, Wier and Gryba all having their softmore slumps at once.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zbad-Stone
Hoffman-Lazar/Pageau-Chiasson
Greening-Smith-Condra
Smith

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Gryba
Ceci-Wier
Boro/Phillips

I'm honestly hoping Neil and Phillps see as few games as possible, let the youth play!

Please stop at using the short season as the measuring stick. We didnt play any western conference team, we were outplayed and unsustainable goaltending carried us. In a full 82 and with normal goaltending that team would be a top 3 pick.

I think the team from 3 years ago is a better measuring stick

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Foligno-Turris-Alfredsson
Idk-Smith-Neil
Daugavins-Konopka-Condra

Kuba-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Carkner

That year, Karlsson was a 78 point norris winner. Spezza was an 84 point 6th in hart voting player. Michalek was a 35 goalscorer. We had Kuba and Gonchar who were steady and provided veteran presence and guys like Neil and Phillips were still decent and still we finished 8th.

Looking at that roster and comparing it with last years roster along with Spezza's , Karlsson bad start to the season + Alfie and Gonchar's absence I think it makes sense why we missed the playoffs last year.

The 11-12 season is a better measuring stick, the short season was an anomaly imo.

Now compare that roster to this upcoming season and :dunno: Add to the fact that compared to the 11-12 season, teams like Tampa, Montreal, even the leafs are better. Florida has some potential, Philly is always in the mix. Add Detroit and Columbus fighting for a spot and we are royally screwed

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is the roster I want to see barring any other move.

The time should be split like this (at ES) :

1st line : 18 mins per game
2nd line : 16 mins per game
3rd line : 14 mins per game
4th line : 12 mins per game

Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Milan Michalek ($4.000m) / Mika Zibanejad ($0.894m) / Alex Chiasson ($0.867m)
Mike Hoffman ($0.750m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) / Erik Condra ($1.250m)

Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Patrick Wiercioch ($2.000m) / Eric Gryba ($1.250m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m) / Mark Borowiecki ($0.575m)

Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($?.???m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,165,833; BONUSES: $1,988,333
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $17,834,167

Ur in denial

Every team has gotten better then us today, we have got way worse.

After following the NHL for 23-24 years, I'm going to say those in denial are the ones looking at rosters on paper and drawing conclusions on July 2. Even "experts" (people who work in the hockey field) never get it right.

UFAs are not a guarantee, at all.

That being said, it would be great to sign a MacArthur every year or so, instead of the likes of Clarkson, Bolland, Orpik... who are well overpaid for a budget team.

Spezza offensive production will be missed and of course we won't be able to replace it in just 1 player, but offense by comitee is better in today's NHL. The team's all-around game could improve vastly. All the players in my top-9 have +50 pts potential (except Hoffman IMO)

The team is actually not a real Cup contender but they will be competitive, like the last 3 years but they need to find more consistency, which was the real big problem last year. I wouldn't bet on a playoffs yet (however we are still a bit far from October lol)

Once again, tanking does not mean you will get McDavid. I believe the nhl is making changes to the draft lottery system that will make tanking obsolete.

So ****ing stop with the tanking idea.

Tanking has always been stupid. I'd rather draft wisely than be the Panthers, Oilers, Islanders, Jackets, etc. Or even then, when you suck for years and collect top-3 overalls (like Hawks, Pens, etc), it really brings down your merit IMO.

Cowen was not as bad as people will make it sound. This board is extremely biased and scapegoating is our favorite activity. Problem with Cowen is that he missed a full season because of an injury, then he missed training camp because of contract negotiations. NEVER a good idea, particularly after an injury. He got wrong advices there but maybe his agent didn't really care, the contract was the only thing important. And since Cowen have very little NHL (or pro) experience, he was widely inconsistent last season, but in some games you could still see glimpses of the rookie D-man he was at 20 y/o playing 20 mins a game

Many people on this board would give you Cowen for like a 2nd round pick or even less. For me, you don't trade him unless the return is impossible to refuse

Cowen will make a lot of people not really as "knowledgeable as they think" in the coming years. It will be fun, the silence, again.

Cowen was complete and utter garbage last season. I am giving him one more season before i completely give up on him.

I expect him to play top 4 minutes even though he is ****ing not ready for that amount of minutes yet.

Or could it be just a sophomore slump? The same thing that happens to many (well most) NHL players... Add that to several other factors (missed season with injury, missed camp, not a lot of veterans to protect him, broken system/team defense, etc.)

Cowen played 20 mins a night 2 years and looked really good doing it, as a rookie who had no pro experience.

It's crazy how fast people turn out against their players here

Note : quoted you for general purposes, could have quoted hundreds of other posts recently

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
People got to remember that the game is played on the ice, NOT on paper.

I remember people last year before the season started were saying that the senators were going to be a good team that could challenge for the atlantic divsion. They were just basing their opinion on paper. Look what happened though.

Having said that, yes it looks like some teams have improved in our divison. As i said though, the game is played on the ice, not on paper. So we really do not know if the teams improved or not.

Anyways, here is my outlook on the teams in our division:

Boston: Did not really improve, but will still be a force to reckon with
Montreal: They might have improved somewhat, but not by much. They will still be a great team though
Detroit: This is a team that did not improve at all. Will still be a great team if they remain healthy though.
Florida: May have improved somewhat. Will most likely be fighting for a wildcard spot
Tampa: Improved greatly. They are the team that was the most improved in our division imo.
Toronto: Absolutely not. They are practically the same ****ing team with the same garbage coach.
Ottawa: Yes, compared to the teams in our divison, we got worse. There is no denying that, but i still think that this is a team that can surprise people next season.

These are just my outlooks, but again, the game will be played on the ice.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Smith - Condra
Hoffman - Pageau - Chiasson
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiericoch - Ceci
Phillips

Lehner
Anderson

10th place here we come

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiericoch - Ceci
Phillips

Lehner
Anderson

10th place here we come
Lazar over condra pls and pair Wier-Gryba Boro-Ceci scratch cowen and phillips

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully Bm will sign Legwand to play 2nd line centre, however, if he doesn't this would be my guess at a lineup.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Hoffman - Z. Smith - Stone
Greening - Grant - Neil/Condra

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner - after the trade deadline - Lehner - Hammond or vet UFA goalie.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
MacArhur - Turris - Ryan
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiericoch - Ceci
Phillips

Lehner
Anderson

10th place here we come

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Berglund/Eriksson/Marchand/Sharp/etc.-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Michalek-Smith-Stone
Greening-Pageau-Lazar

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Ceci

Wiercioch + Hoffman + prospect (Prince) for Berglund/Eriksson/Marchand/Sharp/etc. (depending on the player, you adjust the package).

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Versteeg Zibanejad Michelak
Pumepel Lazar Chiasson
Hoffman Pageau Stone

Leddy Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Cowen Gryba

Lehner
Andy

Smith Greening for Versteeg Leddy