Line Combos: 2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Point is get him off the ice. Open up the spot. If we can reclaim him in Binghamton then good. If not, open up the spot and give him a shot at least with someone else.

This is the year to build with our prospects like Stone and Hoffman. Greening has had his chance and plateaued. He was supposed to be a top 6 guy and we talk about him as barely a 4th line guy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Point is get him off the ice. Open up the spot. If we can reclaim him in Binghamton then good. If not, open up the spot and give him a shot at least with someone else.

This is the year to build with our prospects like Stone and Hoffman. Greening has had his chance and plateaued. He was supposed to be a top 6 guy and we talk about him as barely a 4th line guy.

I personally never considered Greening as a potential top-6 forward despite the propaganda on this site... If I ever did, it was a one day hangover thing

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I personally never considered Greening as a potential top-6 forward despite the propaganda on this site... If I ever did, it was a one day hangover thing

Greening still has his uses. I never thought he was as good as hyped or as bad as made out to be on this board. Makes hits and can create room down low, he's a good bottom 6er that is capable of filling in on the top 6 short term.

Ideally I think he'd be good with any combination of Legwand/Lazar and Stone/Chiasson on the 3rd line. He'd be good at creating time and space for his linemates. The problem with Greening, Neil, Smith and Condra 4th line combination is that not one of them is particularly great at moving or carrying the puck and are easily hemmed into their zone. Look how good Pageau made Greening and Condra look compared to with Smith. Too many players with simarily skill sets on one line is a bad thing.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
In the perfect world I think they'd move Smith to LW and add Pageau as the 4th line centre for a fast energy line. or even Lazar

Greening, Condra and Neil just do not fit that idea. Greening is faster than the others for sure. Maybe flip him to the RW side.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
In the perfect world I think they'd move Smith to LW and add Pageau as the 4th line centre for a fast energy line. or even Lazar

Greening, Condra and Neil just do not fit that idea. Greening is faster than the others for sure. Maybe flip him to the RW side.

The only way Greening beats anyone out on this team is from the lack of depth on the left side. No way he's one of the top 4 options at RW.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
For whatever reason we seem to always have too many natural RW and never enough LW!

Prospect pool is full of them though and they will start to flow through with Hoffman, Puempel & Prince. Chaisson can play LW as can Michalek and Ryan. Guptil (I think) is there as well.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Greening will prove you all ot be hater this year and he will perform as a capable 3rd liner who makes space for people with puck skills.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
My best shot at it:

Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan

MacArthur-Turris-Stone

Hoffman-Legwand-Chiasson

Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Neil/Condra

Greening as the odd man out.

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Boro(Ceci starts the year in Bingo)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
My best shot at it:

Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan

MacArthur-Turris-Stone

Hoffman-Legwand-Chiasson

Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Neil/Condra

Greening as the odd man out.

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Boro(Ceci starts the year in Bingo)

Sign me up. I especially like the 4th line. Smith can really protect the other two and slide to the 3rd when needed. Neil & Condra stay where they need to be to start the season. Move them if we can (Greening too).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

That would likely mean that Hoffman has not performed up to specs. I would also have Grant at centre before Pageau.

The only way Greening beats anyone out on this team is from the lack of depth on the left side. No way he's one of the top 4 options at RW.

There is plenty of depth at LW in the organization, in fact, Bingo will have 7 or 8 LWers this season, it's just a matter of when they will be NHL ready & able to beat out the guys ahead of them like Greening.

If Hoffman does not make it:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Legwand - Chiasson
Greening - Zibanejad - Stone
Z. Smith - Grant - Neil/Hoffman or Condra as the 13th forward

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Methot
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

WhiteLight*

Greening will prove you all ot be hater this year and he will perform as a capable 3rd liner who makes space for people with puck skills.

Greening has never displayed puck skills and won't magically start to do so at 28 years old

Greening has tools to put up points, but only when playing with skilled players. He won't put up 30 points playing with Neil and Smith. Doesn't have the skill set

WhiteLight*

I wonder why that is?

Quality wingers, otherwise known as high scoring wingers round these parts, usually have very good shooting skills

Most RWs shoot right, and most LWs shoot left

Right shooters usually have better shots. The vast majority of people are right handed. Right handed people that shoot left are usually better playmakers and puck handlers. Right handed people who shoot right usually have great shots. Has to do with where the right hand is on the stick.

So, left handed shots aren't great shooters, hence less good LWs

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Greening has never displayed puck skills and won't magically start to do so at 28 years old

Greening has tools to put up points, but only when playing with skilled players. He won't put up 30 points playing with Neil and Smith. Doesn't have the skill set

He was on pace for >30 in the lockout year playing primarily with Smith and Neil, but your point still stands. Greening is a complementary player, he isn't going to carry an aging Neil, and can't turn another complimentary player like Smith into anything that he isn't already. I think with a skilled RW instead of Neil though he could do it though. Smith drives the net well and had a good shot, Greening is decent on the forecheck and can pressure the D with his speed; a skilled guy instead of Neil could make a pretty big difference.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Quality wingers, otherwise known as high scoring wingers round these parts, usually have very good shooting skills

Most RWs shoot right, and most LWs shoot left

Right shooters usually have better shots. The vast majority of people are right handed. Right handed people that shoot left are usually better playmakers and puck handlers. Right handed people who shoot right usually have great shots. Has to do with where the right hand is on the stick.

So, left handed shots aren't great shooters, hence less good LWs

What about left handed people who shoot right? ;)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This should be our lineup:

Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Greening-Legwand-Chaisson
Condra-Smith-Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Gryba-Phillips

Anderson
Lehner

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Puempel/Hoffman/*-Legwand-Chaisson
Greening-Smith-Lazar
ex: Condra, Neil
*Off-wing Lazar

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch/Phillips-Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

BigBush*

Just getting this out there- Zibanejad is not going to be Ottawas #1 center this year. He probably won't even be the #2 center. Maybe he'll take the reins in a few years, but even that is unlikely

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Maclean said Smith will be playing on the wing if he wants to play in a more offensive role. I could see Smith playing LW with Legwand or Zibanejad. I like that idea. Smith is rotting away with those dud wingers on the 4th line. He has so much more potential to contribute if he was with some decent players

BigBush*

Maclean said Smith will be playing on the wing if he wants to play in a more offensive role. I could see Smith playing LW with Legwand or Zibanejad. I like that idea. Smith is rotting away with those dud wingers on the 4th line. He has so much more potential to contribute if he was with some decent players

completely agree. I'd have a 3rd line of Smith-Zib-Lazar for the first 9 games, and replace Lazar with Stone or Condra if he is sent back down to junior.
Let Niel play 7 mins a night like an enforcer should (along with greening).

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Just getting this out there- Zibanejad is not going to be Ottawas #1 center this year. He probably won't even be the #2 center. Maybe he'll take the reins in a few years, but even that is unlikely

Agreed, though it doesn't really matter with how I think ice time will be distributed this year. The Sens aren't a Spezza line and everyone else team anymore. MTR will play 18-20 minutes, and the other two lines will be the 2a/2b lines. I could see Legwand and co. play more in a defensive game, Zib and co. in a looser run and gun game.

Definentely agree, though where did you hear this? I missed it, though it sounds awesome that Mac wants to get Smith more opportunities outside of GSN. It wasn't too long ago when most people thought very highly of Smith. And it's been repeated many times over the years that Smith is actually pretty damn skilled, though he doesn't translate that over to games enough.

I could see Milan flanking Zib to provide that vet presence, and they've shown some good chemistry before. Smith-Legwand-Chiasson/Stone could be a very good two-way line.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Mac-Turris-Ryan
9MM-Zib-Chiasson
Smith-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Hoffman/Pageau-Condra
Neil

Methot-EK
Cowen-PW
Phillips-Ceci
Boro/Gryba

Status