2014-15 World Junior Championships Draft

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
My drafting analysis:

1st round I was leaning 70% Duclair and 30% Buchnevich.

2nd round was interesting all around. I wanted Vrana the whole tine so that was fortunate.

3rd round was great, if Vrana was gone for my 2nd selection I would have drafted Barbashev. (Thanks boys)

4th round I really had no plan, played it by each pick and noticed 3 goaltenders were gone so decided Sorokin.

5th round I was not sure as well, I was obviously satisfied with my first 3 picks because I am not one to draft defencman that high but witnessed 5 defenceman go already and not one named Bowey. I think Bowey willl be one of the best defenceman in the tournament but that's my opinion.

6th round I select Tkachev to only hear he got cut so I feel I recovered with Tolchinsky. More of a gamble pick but wanted another Russian to go with my picks of Barbashev and Sorokin.

7th round pick was Ikonen and thought maybe no one would pick him at all and wait til my 8th pick but had to draft him because he will get top 6 minutes and pp time, also a returnee to the tournament.

8th round the boys just leave me Kostalek so it waa a no brainer. I did ponder Masin for 30 seconds so hope he pans out.

9th pick was Nicku, I try not to draft the younger guys but Niku has a great resume going today.

I really enjoy my team.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
lakai I deleted that post, people still have to make re-selections (although most people probably have seen it and two of us are mods, and now that I think about it I don't think any forwards we drafted were cut today?)

THC - Yeah, once the tourney starts picks are locked in.

Its up to you guys, I can argue it either way.

Although, if we're talking precedents, we didn't slap Ghostbuster on the wrists, we went ahead with the draft after about ~24 hours. I was kind enough to spare you guys 24 hours of waiting. :)

We've done this before in other years of this draft where we skip the last goalie-less GM in the last round and let the draft continue.

I mean, yeah I'm doing it purposefully and deliberately, but wouldn't you rather I be up front rather than ignorant or deceitful? I think Saint Nicholas and Baby Christ would agree with me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I think what cerebral was meaning is that people might hold off on selecting a player and waiting til the game day lineups are released to make their pick, especially if their player is a questionable starter. We skipped ghostbusters just so we could keep it going. I understand why you are doing what your doing it the way you are doing it and that's fine with me, I just don't want to see someone taking a starter on the 26th when someone took one of those questionable starters in the 6th round.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
lakai I deleted that post, people still have to make re-selections (although most people probably have seen it and two of us are mods, and now that I think about it I don't think any forwards we drafted were cut today?)

THC - Yeah, once the tourney starts picks are locked in.

Its up to you guys, I can argue it either way.

Although, if we're talking precedents, we didn't slap Ghostbuster on the wrists, we went ahead with the draft after about ~24 hours. I was kind enough to spare you guys 24 hours of waiting. :)

We've done this before in other years of this draft where we skip the last goalie-less GM in the last round and let the draft continue.

I mean, yeah I'm doing it purposefully and deliberately, but wouldn't you rather I be up front rather than ignorant or deceitful? I think Saint Nicholas and Baby Christ would agree with me.

Merry Christmas everyone!
I'm fine either way.

We've never established a clear "24 hour rule" as we have never really had an issue since we started doing this draft. I don't love the idea of allowing people to intentionally skip their picks waiting for info because when it comes down to it, no one should be making their 8th round+ picks until closer to game day so we get a sense for who is playing on what line/powerplay unit. However, the obvious challenge with waiting longer is that we run the risk of not actually finishing the draft.

My vote is for 24 hours from this point onwards just in order to avoid setting a precedent that COULD potentially wreck the flow of the draft. Ghostbuster is a different situation as he was obviously away and he made his pick relatively quickly the next day. To be honest, after the exhibition games tonight, there won't be much more info available anyway until literally minutes before the game and that's getting a little extreme (can you imagine if we had multiple picks all hanging in the balance for that moment?).

Like I said, I'm fine either way but I think making the pick within 24 hours makes more sense in the "spirit" of this draft.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
My draft analysis:

Round 1: I had a coin-flip between Reinhart and Nylander. Canada has a strong offensive team this year but they also have a lot of depth which could result in more evenly-spread scoring. It'll be interesting to see who scores more between these two!

Round 2: I was choosing between Milano and Vrana. In retrospect, I kind of wish I chose Vrana as I feel like the Czechs are a little underrated offensively. They should have two strong scoring lines and Vrana-Pastrnak is a scary duo.

Round 3: I really struggled with who to select here. I thought about Ehlers but I'm not sold his team will score enough. I debated taking Sorokin here as well but figured I'd wait on my goaltender (we'll see if that pays off). I was hoping Petan would play on a line with McDavid but it looks like he might start the tourny on the third line (however, he's on the top powerplay unit). We'll see if Ritchie lasts though!

Round 4: Coin-flip between Lehkonen and Wallmark. Again, it'll be interesting to see who scores more!

Round 5: I was hoping one of de la Rose or Lehkonen would fall. Once they were gone, I figured I'd choose a defenceman and Aho seemed like the best offensive option available. I was choosing between him and Hagg but figured Aho might get more powerplay time.

Round 6: I was hoping Hagg would fall but he got chosen one pick before mine. Hicketts COULD be a steal if he keeps playing powerplay minutes with Canada but we'll see if it lasts.

Round 7: This was going to be my goaltender round. I was hoping Soderstrom would fall but Paralyzer took him 3 picks before mine. I like the Czech team but picking a goaltender from them was tricky. Historically the guy who has started game one for them hasn't necessarily remained the starter. Hopefully he puts up some solid numbers!

Round 8: I chose between Kase and Kampf. They should end up playing on the same line and I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up putting up very similar numbers.

Round 9: I wanted the best defenceman left. I was hoping one of Kostalek or Forsling would fall but both got taken. Stencel could end up playing on a powerplay unit with Pastrnak and Vrana - if so, this could be a steal.

Overall, great draft guys! An interesting idea: Once Soli makes his pick, any interest in picking a consensus "best players left" team? We can make it pretty informal but it might be interesting to see how the undrafted players do!

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd have interest in the best players left team.

Draft analysis:

1st: I got blessed with having the first overall pick. I still struggled though between McDavid, Eichel and Reinhart. Went with McDavid because he's a special talent and Canada is going to need him to show why.

2nd/3rd: I was surprised that Kasperi Kapanen fell to round two. Easy pick, I love the kid's scoring ability. My next pick was difficult a bit, I went with Fiala because he has a great skillset but I did heavily ponder Nikolaj Ehlers and Nic Petan, who I think will have great tournaments.

4th/5th: de la Rose scored 6 points last year, and was an easy pick for me. Lehkonen could get near the points Kapanen does, so I was happy with him as well. Considered Goldobin, but I think Lehkonen will have to lead Finland.

6th/7th: Theodore was an easy pick, the only Canadian top 4 D-man still on the board. Goalies were going to be a crapshoot and I took Linus Soderstrom who got sick in tonight's game but should be Sweden's starter. I was advised on Soderstrom from a few people so I went with my gut. I did deliberate on taking Vanecek from the Czechs.

8th/9th: Forsling scored in the game against Canada, so I took a chance on him. Thought of many other D-men with my last pick including Bergman, Lyttinen, Santini, Fora and Rathgeb, but went with Masin because I am not sure who will be scoring points yet on the Czech D besides Kostalek. Stencel has a good shot too.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I'm pretty happy with my team outside of the 42nd pick which I got shamboozled on. Was lining up either Tuch or Theodore on that pick.

Need Russia to do some damage early.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
My random thoughts throughout the Draft:

- Cerebral conveniently picks ahead of me again… ;)
- Fucale first off the board for goaltenders? Hmm…
- Vaccum Ghostbuster. Vacuum.

Draft Analysis:

R1: My first pick came the morning that we we're suppose to hear Ottawa's plan for Lazar. Took a break from work and was sitting on the throne when news broke. Couldn't have snatched him up sooner. Was thinking of Domi otherwise, so not a reach in my mind JTS.

R2: Im not sure why, I guess I thought he'd have a much bigger feature role in the defense and a key piece on the offense, but I convinced myself to take Morrissey early before the Draft started. Definitely re-thought that decision numerous times and it would have turned had Ghostbuster not taken Demko. That pretty much sealed the Morrissey pick. Would anyone have taken a defensemen before halfway through the 3rd round?

R3: I wanted Ehlers badly. Settled for Fabbri, which now looks to be a horrible consolation prize.

R4: Torn between Matthews and Wallmark. Choked Cerebral took Wallmark a couple of picks after. Their head-to-heads gonna be tough to watch.

R5: "And with Tuch gone, I switch focus to a defenseman. After much deliberating, I decide to take a risk and go with DeAngelo. If he makes it, it’ll be because they want to use him as a weapon on the backend. Potential to run the 1st unit PP."
I noted that when I made the pick. I think it'll turn out for DeAngelo.

R6: Basically, went with whoever was on Nylander's line and on his PP unit. I was thinking of rounding out the blue line (Almost ninja-edited it to Hicketts!) but thought there were enough quality defensemen left that I could push it.

R7: Whoa everyone took a goaltender. Sticking with the North American theme, I took Will Butcher hoping he can come close to matching his last year WJC total.

R8: Litterally said "JTS won't take Bjorkstrand, he probably doesn't even know who he is". Whoops. If not Mustonen, it was going to be Ondrej Kase.

R9: Team Soli selects Adam Comrie (CAN). There's a lot of questionable starters out there. IMO, only the USA had it locked up. Finland was close with incumbent champion. Sorokin put up a strong effort and likely won him the job but I wasn't convinced. At any rate the other Russian goalie was snatched. The Swedish issue solved itself with Ward's performance and Johanson's injury. In selecting Comrie, I know he's going to get at least a win when Canada plays it's back-to-back, and something tells me Comrie will get more action then just a backup role.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Round 1: Went with Nylander, seemed like the obvious choice. Had him ranked above Duclair, but considering how he's played in exhibition that may have been a foresight.

Round 2: I liked getting my goalie out of the way early but with Demko and Fucale gone there were far too many question marks, but I'm very happy Pastrnak was available here. He's been amazing in the AHL and has played great in his few games with the Bruins this year. I suspect he'll play a huge role for the Czechs. There's a ton of good players available here, I wanted someone who wasn't limited in his role.

Round 3: Was pleasantly surprised Ehlers was around still, think the team he played for scared some people off.

Round 4: Given his skillset and the role he'd be playing for the Finns, Honka was a target of mine coming into the draft.

Round 5: Was debating between Tuch and Bowey, was ecstatic to see Tuch drop to me here. Seems like the big winger will be Eichel's winger for the tournament. They were linemates for two years with the USNDT prior to this season.

Round 6: Robert Hagg, arguably Sweden's top defenseman and a good 2-way dman. Probably won't get prime PP time but I'm hoping he gets enough ice time that he'll be able to contribute offensively.

Round 7: Figured I'd get the goalie pick out of the way, Shestyorkin was great in the SSS and there was talks of him being the favorite coming into the tournament. At this point there were so many questions marks but I was confident that him and Sorokin will each get some starts early to determine the starter.

Round 8: I always weary to pick up an underaged player but I like Team USA and Werenski's talent is unquestioned. He's outscoring Hanifin in the NCAA and plays a big role for Michigan, hopefully that can transition into this tournament. Really wanted Mustonen or Bjorkstrand here actually but they both got snagged.

Round 9: I really like Cehlarik and wanted the Oilers to draft him in 2013. Biggest question mark is how much he'll be able to score playing for the Slovaks.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Notes:

Paralyzer did not let up, 5 consecutive forwards. I like that.

Goaltending is always hit or miss it appears in world junior drafts.

Tuch may be the 5th round steal.

I like Cerebral and 40oz. selecting 4/5 forwards their first 5 picks. They have some gamble in them.

I thought forwards Fashing, Zacha and Kamenov would get drafted here or at least two.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
was at the USA-SWE exhibition game last night.

10-5 final. wow!

USA was dominant. SWE was slow and hurt by bad goaltending.

Standouts were:
USA - Schmaltz, Tuch, Eichel, Milano, Carlo & others. Hanifin looked really steady, but didn't contribute much offensively. USA players in general all looked really good.
SWE - Nylander (step above every other player out there), Forsling, Lindblom....

I'm really surprised noone draft Schmaltz.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those curious why i took fucale when i did. After my first two picks i had no picks for 18 picks and i figured most top goalies would be gone by the time it was my turn. It was either fucale or comrie and most people believe fucale will play the most games

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
For those curious why i took fucale when i did. After my first two picks i had no picks for 18 picks and i figured most top goalies would be gone by the time it was my turn. It was either fucale or comrie and most people believe fucale will play the most games

I have learned to stay away from Canadian goaltending...it always lets me down

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Any thoughts on making an "undrafted team" to see how they do against us?

Potential Players:

Forward:
Nick Schmaltz F (USA)
Vladislav Kamenev F (RUS)
Timo Meier F (SUI)

Defence:
Steve Santini (USA) - if he ends up playing

Goaltender:

???

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Potential Players:

Forward:
Nick Schmaltz F (USA)
Timo Meier F (SUI)

Defence:

Goaltender:

???

Goldobin (RUS)
Zacha (CZE)
McCoshen (USA)
SUI or DEN starter.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The one name for sure on the undrafted team at forward is Kamenev. I also would consider Schmaltz, Motte or Hayden, Zacha, Noah Rod and Timo Meier for the Swiss, Aagaard in Denmark, or Dominik Kahun who had 7 points for the Germans last year.

On D, Steve Santini or Ian McCoshen for sure. Michael Fora or Rathgeb who are offensive D in Switzerland. Tim Bender for Germany. Joonas Lyttinen for Finland. Erik Cernak for Slovakia.

In net, no one took the Swiss starter, although Denmark/Slovakia/Germany also have goalies.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Notes:

Paralyzer did not let up, 5 consecutive forwards. I like that.

Goaltending is always hit or miss it appears in world junior drafts.

Tuch may be the 5th round steal.

I like Cerebral and 40oz. selecting 4/5 forwards their first 5 picks. They have some gamble in them.

I thought forwards Fashing, Zacha and Kamenov would get drafted here or at least two.

I really considered Zacha, he seems like the obvious pick to play between Pastrnak and Vrana. But as those folks at TSN like to remind us, this is a tournament for 19 year olds and Zacha has been playing on the third line.

Edit: here are line ups vs the Slovakia "Petes"
B5k1jR8IUAEXE74.jpg:large

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Goldobin (RUS)
Zacha (CZE)
McCoshen (USA)
SUI or DEN starter.

Nedeljkovic has a decent chance of taking Demko's starting spot, he was drafted with the pick after Demko, led the U18 team to gold, and is arguably the OHL's best goalie.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Goldobin is mine, is this revenge soli? ;)

No.

... Yes.
I really considered Zacha, he seems like the obvious pick to play between Pastrnak and Vrana. But as those folks at TSN like to remind us, this is a tournament for 19 year olds and Zacha has been playing on the third line.

I read early that Vrana is going to be stapled to O. Kase and Kampf.

Nedeljkovic has a decent chance of taking Demko's starting spot, he was drafted with the pick after Demko, led the U18 team to gold, and is arguably the OHL's best goalie.

I dunno, I like Ned, but he hasn't shown well in pre-competiton games. And I think Demko has the backing of USA Hockey propaganda.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Yeah Bob McKenzie is one of the best but you have to have your own opinion as well. There is a lot of hype around Zacha today and you know it's real in the McDavid era. Czech Republic prodigy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My random thoughts throughout the Draft:

- Cerebral conveniently picks ahead of me again… ;)
- Fucale first off the board for goaltenders? Hmm…
- Vaccum Ghostbuster. Vacuum.

Draft Analysis:

R1: My first pick came the morning that we we're suppose to hear Ottawa's plan for Lazar. Took a break from work and was sitting on the throne when news broke. Couldn't have snatched him up sooner. Was thinking of Domi otherwise, so not a reach in my mind JTS.

R2: Im not sure why, I guess I thought he'd have a much bigger feature role in the defense and a key piece on the offense, but I convinced myself to take Morrissey early before the Draft started. Definitely re-thought that decision numerous times and it would have turned had Ghostbuster not taken Demko. That pretty much sealed the Morrissey pick. Would anyone have taken a defensemen before halfway through the 3rd round?

R3: I wanted Ehlers badly. Settled for Fabbri, which now looks to be a horrible consolation prize.

R4: Torn between Matthews and Wallmark. Choked Cerebral took Wallmark a couple of picks after. Their head-to-heads gonna be tough to watch.

R5: "And with Tuch gone, I switch focus to a defenseman. After much deliberating, I decide to take a risk and go with DeAngelo. If he makes it, it’ll be because they want to use him as a weapon on the backend. Potential to run the 1st unit PP."
I noted that when I made the pick. I think it'll turn out for DeAngelo.

R6: Basically, went with whoever was on Nylander's line and on his PP unit. I was thinking of rounding out the blue line (Almost ninja-edited it to Hicketts!) but thought there were enough quality defensemen left that I could push it.

R7: Whoa everyone took a goaltender. Sticking with the North American theme, I took Will Butcher hoping he can come close to matching his last year WJC total.

R8: Litterally said "JTS won't take Bjorkstrand, he probably doesn't even know who he is". Whoops. If not Mustonen, it was going to be Ondrej Kase.

R9: Team Soli selects Adam Comrie (CAN). There's a lot of questionable starters out there. IMO, only the USA had it locked up. Finland was close with incumbent champion. Sorokin put up a strong effort and likely won him the job but I wasn't convinced. At any rate the other Russian goalie was snatched. The Swedish issue solved itself with Ward's performance and Johanson's injury. In selecting Comrie, I know he's going to get at least a win when Canada plays it's back-to-back, and something tells me Comrie will get more action then just a backup role.

so pretty much if I come dead last and if you win--I will have saved you from yourself

If I win --I stole your team

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Potential Players:

Forward:
Nick Schmaltz F (USA)
Timo Meier F (SUI)

Defence:

Goaltender:

???

Nick Schaltz(USA)
Tyler Motte (USA)
Hintz(FIN)- good reviews on Hintz
Vladislav Kamenov (RUS)
Pavel Zacha (CZE)

Yudin (RUS)
Carlo(USA)
McCoshen(USA)

Slovakian goaltender or one of the backups from Czech or Finland.

I want this team beating other teams, the USA got slept on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad