Speculation: 2014-15 Winnipeg Jets Backup Goaltender

Derfel*

Hutch will likely be the back-up at this point, as we showed no moves towards getting a different back-up elsewhere. Hopefully he doesn't do his "3 goals on 4 shots" routine more often than his "stopped 49 of 50" routine...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hutch will likely be the back-up at this point, as we showed no moves towards getting a different back-up elsewhere. Hopefully he doesn't do his "3 goals on 4 shots" routine more often than his "stopped 49 of 50" routine...

Cherry picking a small sample size. :nod: To date in his career, he has proven that stopping a large number of shots is a more likely scenario.

All goaltenders have bad games: the best limit the number of stinkers they post. Hutch will be a fine backup, until he displaces Pavs.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Cherry picking a small sample size. :nod: To date in his career, he has proven that stopping a large number of shots is a more likely scenario.

All goaltenders have bad games: the best limit the number of stinkers they post. Hutch will be a fine backup, until he displaces Pavs.

Pavelec has never had a game with a low save percentage ever!

Briw-XWCEAEYK8A.png

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, nobody in the organization ever even hints that Pav might be on any sort of hotseat. The competition is for the back-up spot because our starter is locked in and solid as granite! No worries there! No sirree!

It's terribly dis-heartening...

Oh and there's Derfel again focusing in on Hutch's one or two bad games and ignoring Pav's dozens and dozens of the same...:shakehead

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If they are dead set about giving Pav another shot at taking the next step so be it (we all have our doubts he can do it).....but he better not play more then 50 games so he can lose the tiered down the stretch excuse! I want to see what Hutch can do even it Pav is playing decent .91X save percentage hockey. Give the kid 30 ish game please and thank-you!

Time to step up or step out Pav

Derfel*

Oh and there's Derfel again focusing in on Hutch's one or two bad games and ignoring Pav's dozens and dozens of the same...:shakehead

Well, it is hard to compare the two, as there is such a small sample of NHL games for Hutchinson. So I just used the Calder games as a good comparison.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, it is hard to compare the two, as there is such a small sample of NHL games for Hutchinson. So I just used the Calder games as a good comparison.

Throughout the entire Calder Cup playoff run, Hutchinson played 21 games, and posted a GAA of 1.95 and a SV% of .938

Derfel*

Throughout the entire Calder Cup playoff run, Hutchinson played 21 games, and posted a GAA of 1.95 and a SV% of .938

... and those are great numbers for an AHL goalie. He deserves a shot in the NHL.

Let's remember 24 games, 2.34 GAA and SV% of .921 - with 2 shutouts, and the Cup.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
... and those are great numbers for an AHL goalie. He deserves a shot in the NHL.

Let's remember 24 games, 2.34 GAA and SV% of .921 - with 2 shutouts, and the Cup.

Hutch's numbers have been better at every single point in his career. All the way from junior to the AHL. That's including his playoff run this year. Hutch posted higher numbers in the cup loss that Pavs did in the cup win.

I don't see a single reason Hutch shouldn't be given at least a shot at becoming our starter next season. At the worst, he is a Pavelec with a much nicer contract.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

So Hutch was significantly better: 0.39 better GAA, .017 better SV%, 1 more shutout - but he didn't win the Calder Cup (although he sure would've if he'd been playing behind the team Pavelec did).

And that stretch of competence from Pavelec is the highlight of his career. And it happened in 2008!

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
It does sound like that, but competition for the backup position OR competition for the starting position? That to me is the issue.

The only likely reason that Chevy stated Hutchinson will have the "right to compete for the backup position" is that he is currently negotiating a contract with him. You don't anoint a prospect an NHL position until after you've signed him to a cheap two-way deal and he then earns the spot in camp; his price would rise exponentially if Chevy were to say right now that Hutchinson is our backup, period.

I think the talk of bringing in additional competition is a negotiation ploy and little else. Chevy will probably be speaking about him in a bit different terms once Hutchinson is signed.

Derfel*

I don't see a single reason Hutch shouldn't be given at least a shot at becoming our starter next season. At the worst, he is a Pavelec with a much nicer contract.

He should be given a shot as backup, no question. As starter, out of the gate? I don't think so. Let's see a few more NHL games with him in the net before we go in that direction, I'd say.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The only likely reason that Chevy stated Hutchinson will have the "right to compete for the backup position" is that he is currently negotiating a contract with him. You don't anoint a prospect an NHL position until after you've signed him to a cheap two-way deal and he then earns the spot in camp; his price would rise exponentially if Chevy were to say right now that Hutchinson is our backup, period.

I think the talk of bringing in competition is a negotiation ploy and little else.

Yes, that Chevy has certainly proven himself to be a shrewd negotiator. Start talking up Hutch and he might have to pay him Thorburn money! :sarcasm:

EDIT: Maybe the whole Pavelec-is-the-starter thing is also a part of this plan to save $50,000 on Hutchinson's deal!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I think the talk of bringing in additional competition is a negotiation ploy and little else. Chevy will probably be speaking about him in a bit different terms once Hutchinson is signed.

I think you're wrong. But, damn, I really hope you're right!:laugh:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Yes, that Chevy has certainly proven himself to be a shrewd negotiator. Start talking up Hutch and he might have to pay him Thorburn money! :sarcasm:

EDIT: Maybe the whole Pavelec-is-the-starter thing is also a part of this plan to save $50,000 on Hutchinson's deal!

I realize the above represented an attempt to be flippant, but why pay him Thorburn money when he is due a two-way contract with similar dollars to what Montoya earned here? That was intended to be a rhetorical question, BTW.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
He should be given a shot as backup, no question. As starter, out of the gate? I don't think so. Let's see a few more NHL games with him in the net before we go in that direction, I'd say.

I never said he should be just given it straight out of the gate. I meant he should get an honest chance to earn the job. Rotate him and Pav's all pre season and see what it looks like after that. If Hutch is playing good, continue the rotation until someone has proven they deserve it.

Like I said, I cannot see Hutch making us any worse than Pavelec, so why not give it a shot?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Remember when the owner and the GM told Mark Stuart that they really wanted him to stay and admitted that it likely hurt them in contract negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad