Speculation: 2014-15 Winnipeg Jets Backup Goaltender

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Now that Al Montoya has signed with Florida, Winnipeg needs a quality backup to Pavelec who can play 20-25 games a year or more should there be an injury.

There are lots of older veteran goaltenders who may want one of a big contract still or the opportunity to start. However, I am going to go off the board of sorts and hope the Winnipeg Jets sign a proven AHL goaltender who has experience and would still be in his prime.

Drew McIntyre

Winnipeg is very familiar with him having played for the Manitoba Moose 2006-08 and has been a VERY consistent AHL goaltender with EXCEPTIONAL playoff stats. To me he is the ONLY logical option for this club and hopefully we can get him signed.

Who do you think will be our backup goaltender and why? If you are saying Hutchinson, which is a strong possibility, do you think his playoff performance and his short NHL stint solidified it?

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I honestly think, since they have handed Pavs the starting position, the Jets are going to bring in every goalie they have and whomever they think performs the best in training camp will be the backup. I just don't see the Jets going out and signing anyone specifically to be the backup.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why would we want to bring in a goaltender that is older, worse, has less potential, is not as pretty and is not as righty as Hutch. Who also is tainted with Leafs taint. Instead of just playing Hutch?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hutch will start the season as our backup. He'll be numero uno about 2 months after that.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Hutchinson definitely. He doesn't need anymore time in the AHL. He's been consistently good his entire career and looked very solid in his NHL call up. He deserves it at this point.

All I can hope for is that he's good enough to push Pavelec from his starting spot.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Has to be Hutch IMO. As of now, we have no one else to fill the role, and I feel the really small sample size at the end of the season was enough to convince Chevy that he can handle at least a backup role.

Of course, I really hope he plays lights out and pushes Pavs into the backup roll.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00