2014-15 Wild Predictions

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Safe:
-The goalie situation/story continues all year long.
-We make Playoffs
-Our Special teams improves from last year.

Bold:
-We finish top 2 in the division.
-We end the season with 3, 30+ goal scorers(Parise, Population, Vanek) & 9, 20+ goal scorers (Previous 3, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Haula, Granlund, Koivu)
-We are top 5 in scoring at the end of the season.

Art Ross (Vanek 36g 76pts)
Rocket Richard (Vanek)
Norris (Suter)
Calder (Zucker)
Vezina (Kuemper)
Selke (Parise best +/-)
Lady Byng (Harding)
Hart (Suter)

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Safe:
1. Fontaine gets PP time over Zucker
2. We lose to the Blackhawks in the playoffs
3. Kuemper proves hisself as the starter early.

Bold:
1. Suter does not lead NHL TOI (Scandella and Brodin on the left takes minutes away)
2. Kuemper starts 55 games
3. Harding is traded at the deadline for a 5-7 round pick.

Art Ross Granlund 64 points
Rocket Richard Parise 32 goals
Norris Suter
Calder Dumba
Vezina Kuemper
Selke Haula
Lady Byng Koivu
Hart Suter

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Safe:
-The goalie situation/story continues all year long.
-We make Playoffs
-Our Special teams improves from last year.

Bold:
-We finish top 2 in the division.
-We end the season with 3, 30+ goal scorers(Parise, Population, Vanek) & 9, 20+ goal scorers (Previous 3, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Haula, Granlund, Koivu)
-We are top 5 in scoring at the end of the season.

Art Ross (Vanek 36g 76pts)
Rocket Richard (Vanek)
Norris (Suter)
Calder (Zucker)
Vezina (Kuemper)
Selke (Parise best +/-)
Lady Byng (Harding)
Hart (Suter)

By NHL standards, a rookie is a player who enters the season with less than 25 NHL games played. Zucker has 47, thus is not a rookie if he makes the team.

Only official rookies likely are Dumba and Folin right now.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Art Ross (point leader): Zach Parise
Rocket Richard (goal leader): Jason Pominville
Norris (best defenseman): Ryan Suter
Calder (best rookie): Mathew Dumba
Vezina (best goalie): Darcy Kuemper
Selke (best defensive forward): Mikko Koivu
Lady Byng (best sport): Jonas Brodin
Hart (MVP): Mikael Granlund

3 safe predictions:

1. Granlund leads the Wild in assists
2. Suter leads the Wild skaters in minutes
3. Cooke gets suspended at some point during the season

3 surprising predictions:

1. Wild have 5 players who get at least 60 points - 3 of which net 25+ goals (hey, this is the Wild we're talking about here - It's a bold prediction)
2. Haula replaces Koivu as 2nd line center at some point
3. Two D-men score 40+ points

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Safe:
(1) Koivu, Granlund and/or Spurgeon will miss 5+ games
(2) Pominville, Vanek and Parise score 20+ goals
(3) Goaltending issues are overstated and Minnesota doesn't have any issues with goaltending this year.

Surprises:
(1) Minnesota makes a panic trade due to a prolonged slump.
(2) Minnesota still doesn't crack the top 15 for goal scoring even with Vanek.
(3) Minnesota enters the playoffs as a wild card team

Then try and predict (for the Wild again), the following trophies:

Calder (best rookie): Johan Gustafsson
Vezina (best goalie): Ilya Bryzgalov
Selke (best defensive forward): Erik Haula
Lady Byng (best sport): Matt Cooke! (just kidding Mikael Granlund)
Hart (MVP): Ryan Suter

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Safe:
(3) Goaltending issues are overstated and Minnesota doesn't have any issues with goaltending this year.

Surprises:

Ok, that first one... SAFE? Not quite... then you go on to the Calder and Vezina predictions which would imply the exact opposite of your "Safe" prediction... ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ok, that first one... SAFE? Not quite... then you go on to the Calder and Vezina predictions which would imply the exact opposite of your "Safe" prediction... ;)

Minnesota has never had an issue with goaltending in their history. I think Backstrom will end up injured and we will sign Bryzgalov to a contract. Gustafsson will see some time in the NHL. I don't see Folin or Dumba having as much of an impact (as they will see little time on the ice with our top 5) but I think Gustafsson will finally separate himself from the pack and adapt well in the AHL/NHL.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Gustafsson seeing NHL ice is a pretty bold prediction considering:

1) There are four goalies in front of him (Backstrom, Harding, Bryzgalov, Curry)
2) You're predicting our goalie problems are overstated
3) Bryzgalov wins your hypothetical Vezina

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Gustafsson seeing NHL ice is a pretty bold prediction considering:

1) There are four goalies in front of him (Backstrom, Harding, Bryzgalov, Curry)
2) You're predicting our goalie problems are overstated
3) Bryzgalov wins your hypothetical Vezina

1) Harding is out for 2-3 months. Backstrom is injury prone. Kuemper has been meh and the Wild might want to keep him in the AHL. Also Curry???
2) They always are. We have a bunch of goaltenders, which is normal but we never have goaltending problems. Just a question of WHO is the goaltender.
3) So? Bryzgalov is probably going to be our starting goaltender at the end of the year. Gustafsson will probably see time as 3rd goaltender and will show some glimpses of actually being a good goaltender.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
1) Harding is out for 2-3 months. Backstrom is injury prone. Kuemper has been meh and the Wild might want to keep him in the AHL. Also Curry???
2) They always are. We have a bunch of goaltenders, which is normal but we never have goaltending problems. Just a question of WHO is the goaltender.
3) So? Bryzgalov is probably going to be our starting goaltender at the end of the year. Gustafsson will probably see time as 3rd goaltender and will show some glimpses of actually being a good goaltender.

I think Backstrom, Kuemper, and Bryzgalov can hold down the fort until Harding is healthy. Curry would play for Minnesota before Gustafsson gets called up. Kuemper will definitely see plenty of games before Harding gets healthy enough to play; at that point, we won't be able to send him down to Iowa without passing through waivers, and the Wild won't risk that.

I don't think management wants to stifle Gustafsson's development by having him ride the bench as Minnesota's 3rd goaltender.

I also just don't see how Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, and Curry go down long-term, while Bryzgalov shines and Gustafsson gets called up to be his backup. Seems like a crazy scenario!

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think Backstrom, Kuemper, and Bryzgalov can hold down the fort until Harding is healthy.

2-3 months is a long time. Kuemper will probably be the first called up, who knows? But Backstrom has had injury problems and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to have them. Also if we are counting on Harding to come back, Keumper won't see any time in the NHL due to his waiver-status. I feel he'll start in the AHL and if something happens, we'll call up Gustafsson first as he doesn't have the waiver issues like Kuemper.

Curry would play for Minnesota before Gustafsson gets called up. Kuemper will definitely see plenty of games before Harding gets healthy enough to play; at that point, we won't be able to send him down to Iowa without passing through waivers, and the Wild won't risk that.

Curry COULD play in Minnesota before Gustafsson but it depends on circumstances. If they think Gusty could warrant a callup to get some practice in and sit on the bench and absorb and get some tips from Mason, they'll call him up. Kuemper will probably start in the AHL this year. The fact that he is waiver exempt for now makes it even better.

I don't think management wants to stifle Gustafsson's development by having him ride the bench as Minnesota's 3rd goaltender.

No but if Backstrom goes down, Minnesota may want to bring up Gustafsson for a game or so.

I also just don't see how Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, and Curry go down long-term, while Bryzgalov shines and Gustafsson gets called up to be his backup. Seems like a crazy scenario!

Not really. We saw all of them last year and it wasn't THAT crazy of a scenario. Harding and Backstrom are injury prone. Wild don't think they have much in Curry other than an emergency back-stop at the AHL level. Kuemper is waiver exempt and they might not want to burn that by bringing him up for a few games at a time. Gustafsson makes the most sense.

As well, I don't see any of the other rookies (Folin, Dumba) separating themselves from the pack. Zucker isn't a rookie anymore. And we really have zero bodies down in the AHL that could make a major impact like a good goaltender can in the NHL.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
If the coaching staff were planning for Kuemper to start in Iowa he wouldn't of gotten three, and the most important, starts of the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Season's getting ready to start, let's have some fun.

For the Wild, make three safe predictions, and three surprising predictions.

Art Ross (point leader)
Rocket Richard (goal leader)
Norris (best defenseman)
Calder (best rookie)
Vezina (best goalie)
Selke (best defensive forward)
Lady Byng (best sport)
Hart (MVP)

Safe: Kuemper takes the reigns, Parise leading scorer, Spurgeon leading goal scorer among d-men.
Bold: Pominville 40 goals, Parise 100 points, Spurgeon 20 goals

Art ross: Parise
Rocket Richard: Vanek
Norris: Suter
Calder: Dumba
Vezina: Kuemper
Selke: Suter
Lady Byng: Koivu
Hart: Pominville

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Kuemper will probably start in the AHL this year. The fact that he is waiver exempt for now makes it even better.

Not that I'm against it, but I think the chances of Kuemper starting in Iowa went out the window when Harding got injured.

Gustafsson struggled last season - albeit in front of a terrible Iowa team. Unfortunatley, that puts him pretty far back on the depth chart unless he redeems himself quickly.

If he's posting consecutive shutouts this upcoming season, and Minnesota somehow has a goalie catastrophe, I could see management giving him a couple games. But, chances of that happening are slim. Like I said, there are literally 5 goalies that would have to go down long-term before he sees significant playing time.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Safe:

Surprises:

Wrong category for that prediction, bucko.

And god dammit why did you of all people have to make the same Vezina prediction as me :facepalm:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If the coaching staff were planning for Kuemper to start in Iowa he wouldn't of gotten three, and the most important, starts of the preseason.

Because Kuemper needs the NHL practice and what better time than in preseason?

Not that I'm against it, but I think the chances of Kuemper starting in Iowa went out the window when Harding got injured.

Not really. Sign Bryzgalov as backup for Backstrom. Have Gusty go to the ECHL, have Curry and Kuemper in the AHL.

Gustafsson struggled last season - albeit in front of a terrible Iowa team. Unfortunatley, that puts him pretty far back on the depth chart unless he redeems himself quickly.

Not really. It was his first season in NA and he did okay. Not great but he recovered well near the end of the season. He definitely needs another season or two in the AHL but that doesn't mean he won't show glimpses of being some great in the NHL. Just like Kuemper. Kuemper really never did much in the AHL and had some rough starts in the NHL before smoothing it out.

Like I said, there are literally 5 goalies that would have to go down long-term before he sees significant playing time.

I only see two; Gustafsson DID see some action in the NHL last season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not really. Sign Bryzgalov as backup for Backstrom. Have Gusty go to the ECHL, have Curry and Kuemper in the AHL.

You said yourself that Backstrom was injury-prone. Once he goes down, the Wild's tandem will be Kuemper/Bryzgalov. Also, don't you want Gustafsson playing against AHL competition? I think that's best for his development right now.

Not really. It was his first season in NA and he did okay. Not great but he recovered well near the end of the season. He definitely needs another season or two in the AHL but that doesn't mean he won't show glimpses of being some great in the NHL. Just like Kuemper. Kuemper really never did much in the AHL and had some rough starts in the NHL before smoothing it out.

Kuemper - 61GP - 28W - 25L - 4T - 2.28% GAA
Gustafsson - 40GP - 12W - 20L - 4T - 2.98% GAA

Kuemper outperformed Gustafsson by quite a bit, but I don't think the door has closed on Gustafsson's NHL chances.

I only see two; Gustafsson DID see some action in the NHL last season.

Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, possibly Bryzgalov, and Curry = 5. All those guys are ahead of Gustafsson on the depth chart. When did Gustafsson see NHL action? He never played to my knowledge. It's not reflected in his stats anywhere either.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You said yourself that Backstrom was injury-prone. Once he goes down, the Wild's tandem will be Kuemper/Bryzgalov. Also, don't you want Gustafsson playing against AHL competition? I think that's best for his development right now.

That doesn't mean we won't see Gustafsson, especially if it is only for a game or two. I want Gustafsson to get some training under Mason. We've seen what Mason can do to a goaltender and if Kuemper IS waiver-wire exempt, we should be cautious on when we call him up, so we don't get into a situation where we have 3 goaltenders and we have to waive one.

Kuemper outperformed Gustafsson by quite a bit, but I don't think the door has closed on Gustafsson's NHL chances.

I don't think quite a bit but yes Gustafsson did struggle for a bit in the beginning of the season.

Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, possibly Bryzgalov, and Curry = 5. All those guys are ahead of Gustafsson on the depth chart. When did Gustafsson see NHL action? He never played to my knowledge. It's not reflected in his stats anywhere either.

Gustafsson was backup for Kuemper for a few games, so he probably got some time in. He didn't play in the NHL but he at least got some practice in. As well, I wouldn't consider Curry anything more than a depth goaltender. I really don't see Minnesota thinking he's going to be one of their goaltenders of the future. He's 30 years old already and is at best a depth goaltender. They aren't going to use a TON of resources on developing him or spending much time fretting about this or that with him.

The way I see it:

IR:
Harding (starter)

Season Starters:
Backstrom
Bryzgalov

AHL Season Starters:
Kuemper
Curry

ECHL:
Johan Gustafsson

If push came to shove, Kuemper takes over to Bryzgalov so, it's:

Season Starters:
Backstrom
Kuemper

AHL Season Starters:
Gustafsson
Curry

Now, if Backstrom pulls a hammy or is day to day, they probably will bring up Gustafsson over Curry simply to get some more hands on with his development while they can. If Backstrom is out for the rest of the season or for months at a time, they would turn to Kuemper. The thing is, it's not linear. You have a lot of multiple scenarios that could play out.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Art Ross Koivu over granlund by 1 with 72 (20-52)
Rocket Richard Parise and pommer tie with 34
Norris (best defenseman) Suter duh
Calder (best rookie) Dumba 25 points
Vezina (best goalie) Gustaffson, kidding I haven't been hitting the peace pipe with tsk. Kuemper.
Selke (best defensive forward) Koivu
Lady Byng (best sport) granlund
Hart (MVP) Koivu

Bold:
Koivu is our leading scorer
Josh Harding doesn't play a game in a Wild sweater this year or ever again
Vanek only scores 25. But has 40 assists

Safe:
Parise nets 30
Yeo still refuses to move niño above coyly in the top 6
Scandella and spurgeon emerge as top4 nhl defenseman

Ad