2014-15 Training Camp Part 4 (02/10: Dumont/Drewiske waived, Bowman signed)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So De La Rose, Tokarski/Budaj, Bouillon will be cut... and here are your 2014-15 Canadiens !

What would I recommend, rather than guess what management would do?

I would cut DLR, Budaj and Bouillon. Might want to offer a two-way contract to Bouillon as player-asst coach in Hamilton. De La Rose is only 19 years old and can use a bit more pro seasoning. He was playing SEL and not KHL.

Moen would have his ass parked in the pressbox until we trade him or there are a couple of injuries.

Bournival would sub in for any bottom six forward at any time, keep the pressure on all of them to hustle non-stop. Tinordi would sub in for Weaver or even Gilbert at times. I would not sit Beaulieu unless he is REALLY bad. An occasional mistake from him needs to be tolerated as part of the learning curve. In my view, Beaulieu is already our 4th or 5th D.

First callups: DLR at forward and Drewiske on D. Drewiske can play either side, and really so can Emelin. Pateryn is ahead of Dietz in my book if we need a second D on the right side.

Incidentally, I see De La Rose as an upgraded replacement for Malhotra next year. Give him one year to learn the pro ropes and then watch him go!

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The only thing that's obvious to me is DD needs to go. With player salaries on the rise, DD's cap hit looks like a great deal now. The return need not be too significant, it can have a few conditions and at least one good prospect and another non-waiver eligible kid for depth.

The team has 8 forwards that can play C, and most of them can win faceoffs to boot. One less midget staring at people's knees while our top goal scorer gets jumped, I say.

And before anybody starts up with the 'DD bashing' garbage, this isn't a DD bashing post. It's a TC/roster post.

Let's trade DD because his cap hit is a great deal? Isn't it a great deal also for us?

What this preseason has shown me is that Galchenyuk can do his thing on the wing just as much as at center.

There is no big rush to put Galchenyuk at center. There is especially not a big rush when you consider that we have many good/decent centers .. and very few good wingers.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Let's trade DD because his cap hit is a great deal? Isn't it a great deal also for us?

What this preseason has shown me is that Galchenyuk can do his thing on the wing just as much as at center.

There is no big rush to put Galchenyuk at center. There is especially not a big rush when you consider that we have many good/decent centers .. and very few good wingers.

Vincent Damphousse said on l'Antichambre that he himself played both LW and C during his career and was able to perform either way. In fact, he scored 40 for us playing LW. When he moved to Center, he had to watch the D-side more and actually put up fewer points than before.

With Chucky, his weakness on faceoffs and green-ness in his own zone means that we are better off playing him on the wing, where he can get more minutes than at C.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Here's my roster (don't look at the lines... subject to change) :

Pacioretty-DD-Parenteau
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Sekac-Eller-Bourque
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Bournival

Markov-Gilbert
Emelin-Subban
Beaulieu-Weaver
Someone to warm the bench as 7th

Price
Tokarski

And whoever out of Budaj and Moen they would rather keep around. If it were me I'd bury both of them but we do have room for one of the two so.. My guess is that they might keep Budaj but Budaj only has a year left on his deal while Moen has 2.. so based on that, would make more sense to keep Moen I guess.

AHL :
Tinordi (need ice time)
DLR (need to develop his offensive game)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's probably what it will be but this is what I would do (I'm gonna have to put Tinner as the 7th even though I think he should be in the AHL and Drewiske should be the 7th). This is also with DD as center which I would also not have but it is what it is.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Sekac
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Parenteau
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Bournival

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinner

Price
Tokarski

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
(I'm gonna have to put Tinner as the 7th even though I think he should be in the AHL and Drewiske should be the 7th).

For me, Bouillon would be the 7th.

In case of injuries or huge struggles from Beaulieu, I'd recall whoever out of Dietz, Tinordi, Pateryn or Drewiski is playing the best. Bouillon would only play if we're on the road or something and can't recall someone in time (basically fulfilling his #7 job). The reason why I'd keep Bouillon is because Drewiski didn't play last year and he needs to play hockey. Bouillon is a guy with a good head on his shoulders and he's a respected guy in the room. He really fought for that last spot by coming to camp without a deal and he understands he won't play as much. Besides, the reason Bouillon always got on my nerves is because he was playing 20 min when he should have been playing 14, playing on the PP when he shouldn't have been and because he was playing too many games. All of which have little chance of happening this year since we don't have a terrible D like we did last year with Murray, Diaz and a greener Beaulieu/Tinordi. And for that #7 spot you want someone with a good attitude who's respected by everyone. He's a veteran and it's not a bad thing that the coach has an ear in the room. Keeps everyone honest and pushing in the same direction more.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For me, Bouillon would be the 7th.

In case of injuries or huge struggles from Beaulieu, I'd recall whoever out of Dietz, Tinordi, Pateryn or Drewiski is playing the best. Bouillon would only play if we're on the road or something and can't recall someone in time (basically fulfilling his #7 job). The reason why I'd keep Bouillon is because Drewiski didn't play last year and he needs to play hockey. Bouillon is a guy with a good head on his shoulders and he's a respected guy in the room. He really fought for that last spot by coming to camp without a deal and he understands he won't play as much. Besides, the reason Bouillon always got on my nerves is because he was playing 20 min when he should have been playing 14, playing on the PP when he shouldn't have been and because he was playing too many games. All of which have little chance of happening this year since we don't have a terrible D like we did last year with Murray, Diaz and a greener Beaulieu/Tinordi.

You put Bouillon in Therrien's hands and he's in the line-up regularly as soon as Beaulieu has a bad game.

Caveat emptor.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You put Bouillon in Therrien's hands and he's in the line-up regularly as soon as Beaulieu has a bad game.

Caveat emptor.

The fact he doesn't have a contact right now leads me to believe that everyone understands the situation. MB is passing a message to MT with this. He won't play as much.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
What's the beef with Gilbert? I thought he's been solid... Very efficient at moving the puck and he makes smart little plays all over the ice

He's not a physical player despite his size but that's been the book on him his whole career, I think he really solidifies the habs top 4

Not sure I understand the criticism

100% Agreed, he makes the subtle, yet effective play the majority of the time, he's not a world beater, but he's a steady presence back there. I prefer him over Gorges.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Am i the only one who would prefer DLR in the AHL? I mean his defensive play is NHL ready but i would love to ser him develop his offensive game in our top 6 in hamilton.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Am i the only one who would prefer DLR in the AHL? I mean his defensive play is NHL ready but i would love to ser him develop his offensive game in our top 6 in hamilton.

Definitely needs some time in the AHL, although his defensive awareness was nice to see in the NHL. Top notch, which I'm sure Therrien loves.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Or ever...:help:

The way I see it.. there are 3 possible options

1) Bouillon as 7th
2) Tinordi as 7th
3) Acquiring someone else as 7th or going with Pateryn/Drewiski

Option #1 :
Bouillon only plays if there's an injury or if Beaulieu sucks.
Tinordi gets much needed ice time in the AHL
Beaulieu gets to play all games instead of splitting his ice time with Tinordi. Because if Tinordi was #7 he would have to play. You can't let him rot in the stands.

Option #2 :
Beaulieu and Tinordi have to rotate as the 6th dman. This is unfair for Beaulieu who deserves a full time spot in the NHL, and this is not ideal for either player's development.

Option #3 :
Drewiski and Pateryn could have been options but ... they were cut so it's clearly not gonna be either of them.
As for signing or trading for someone else, I guess.. I don't really care myself but I think the habs would rather go with someone they know to be that #7 guy because that player doesn't have to be an amazing player, off ice intangibles (leadership, respect of teammates, experience, maturity, attitude, etc) become more important.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'd like know what this magical term development really is?
Did we need to send AG to Hamiliton to magically develop his Ogame?
Here is the clincher what system have you seen at either of our levels designed to help develop offense?
Confidence only as Patches can attest to. Cause if you don't have the skills already forget it.
Some players need that time like Max and others don't like McK...
We need to make room for DLR sooner than later.
If we win a cup he will be drinking from it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
AHL :
Tinordi (need ice time)
DLR (need to develop his offensive game)

No question we'd all like to see more offensive ability from DLR, but how do you teach that -- scoring is an innate thing. You have it or you don't. DLR's ceiling may be that of a third line guy, doing what he has shown right now -- if you want prospects with offensive upside, they must own that skill at the time that you draft them. DLR is not that guy. Doesn't make him a lesser player, but that's just not who he is -- pretty impressive though to see a 19-year old be so well aware of his positioning and using his body as he does. I don't think he needs further development, looks to me he's ready to do what he does right now. He's one of those guys whose age belies his maturity, just like when Galchenyuk was deemed ready for the NHL. Just my 2 cents.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'd like know what this magical term development really is?
Did we need to send AG to Hamiliton to magically develop his Ogame?
Here is the clincher what system have you seen at either of our levels designed to help develop offense?
Confidence only as Patches can attest to. Cause if you don't have the skills already forget it.
Some players need that time like Max and others don't like McK...
We need to make room for DLR sooner than later.
If we win a cup he will be drinking from it.

Did you compare AG to DLR? 2 different players with different strenght

Chucky didn't need AHL time. He is a futur superstar.

Maybe DLR needs AHL time to get more confidence about his offensive game?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Building confidence is one thing, but players who are not offensively-inclined or who have a limited offensive upside, won't become better offensively on account of being sent down. He is what he is, a capable defender with limited offensive ability. He doesn't need any AHL time, he's ready.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Did you compare AG to DLR? 2 different players with different strenght

Chucky didn't need AHL time. He is a futur superstar.

Maybe DLR needs AHL time to get more confidence about his offensive game?

Thank you "Confidence"
No not comparing any of them.
DLR is good enough already to play on this team.
We are so desperate for Top 6 guys we see them in our dreams.
If we get DLR 12-15 minutes to start at this level are we dooming him to bottom 6 forever?
Its about development and its a hard argument with some players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No not comparing any of them.
DLR is good enough already to play on this team.

DLR is only a comparable with Galchenyuk in that both players were NHL-ready at their first NHL camp. Full agreement that DLR is set to start with the Habs.

G Man 77

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Final cuts

3 more to cuts to come.. DLR is an easy one, Tinordi simply because there's no room for him if Beaulieu has indeed won his spot.. they wouldn't want him sitting most games in NHL.
We can call him up if there's a long term injury.

I don't think they want to start the season with 3 goalies, I think they stick with Budaj... try to waive Tokarski.

The other factor is the true health of Eller who again didn't play yesterday, and Parenteau who didn't finish the game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
3 more to cuts to come.. DLR is an easy one, Tinordi simply because there's no room for him if Beaulieu has indeed won his spot.. they wouldn't want him sitting most games in NHL.
We can call him up if there's a long term injury.

I don't think they want to start the season with 3 goalies, I think they stick with Budaj... try to waive Tokarski.

The other factor is the true health of Eller who again didn't play yesterday, and Parenteau who didn't finish the game.

Curious as to why Budaj is getting the nod from so many?

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
I have a feeling they will not cut tinner. I feel he would best be served playing about 40 games and practicing with the team, rather then playing in the AHL. He needs to learn how to handle the pace of the NHL and playing in the AHL will not allow him to do that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have a feeling they will not cut tinner. I feel he would best be served playing about 40 games and practicing with the team, rather then playing in the AHL. He needs to learn how to handle the pace of the NHL and playing in the AHL will not allow him to do that.

I wouldn't...
The fog magically lifts next week but Frankie has signed... (then what?)
Go ahead paint yourself into a corner. Are we likely to rescind that contract or throw cap space away?
If Tinner needs to go down call back Drew and bye bye Boo.
It would be complete insanity to waste a contract on him...

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Bouillon is sticking. He played scarcely during camp, even wore the 'A' for an exhibition game, letting the kids fighting it out for the one spot available. It hurts me to say that the coach's muse will be with the team this week.

You don't cut a guy when the coach plays you one game and then sits you to let the kids play their hearts out instead. He knew he was a sure bet, I'm pretty sure. After all, I repeat, Bouillon has extreme confidence in his play, thinks he's wayyyyyyy better than what he shows on the ice. The guy would go on an instant rage rant if he would to be cut after such a poor chance to shine.

And don't be surprised if he plays another 40-50 games this season. Because he's the muse.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Bouillon is sticking. He played scarcely during camp, even wore the 'A' for an exhibition game, letting the kids fighting it out for the one spot available. It hurts me to say that the coach's muse will be with the team this week.

You don't cut a guy when the coach plays you one game and then sits you to let the kids play their hearts out instead. He knew he was a sure bet, I'm pretty sure. After all, I repeat, Bouillon has extreme confidence in his play, thinks he's wayyyyyyy better than what he shows on the ice. The guy would go on an instant rage rant if he would to be cut after such a poor chance to shine.

And don't be surprised if he plays another 40-50 games this season. Because he's the muse.

MB has a say and he may be slightly miffed at Cube refusing a two way...:nod:
That would also fit the circumstance.

There is one thing you can count on if Tinner displaces Cube he going to have a hard time getting a compliment out of the AC crew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad