2014/15 trade discussion

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Appleby has 0 playoff experience. He will not contain the top teams. Sure its easy to beat up on Sudbury, Ottawa, Petes and Mississauga but wait til the top teams break through the defence now. I'm not sold on Statistics.

WJ

You must not believe in statistics at all. Appleby doesn't have a ton of playoff experience but he did start a couple of games in last years playoffs due to injury. He started in net for the final 3-2 loss to NB in Game 4 last year that I hope he uses as a learning experience and motivational tool as he was pretty ticked off after that game. He has been great this year for Oshawa and I'm assuming you are just basing your opinion on the west having the higher scoring teams rather than watching the game he plays.

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Out of the Soo, Erie, Oshawa, Barrie and NorthBay i think goaltending goes to Smith. Then Blackwood followed by Williams. Oshawa and the Soo its a toss up. I think it was a big mistake for the Soo to not go after Paterson. Boland was not required in that deal to fill the last OA spot. I think the Soo could have picked up Jones from Plymouth for toughness and grit.

WJ

Appleby is hands down a better goaltender then Williams and Blackwood and unfortunately was stuck behind Altshuler for the last couple years. Oshawa would have done better last year if they had of dealt Altshuler and went with Appleby down the stretch.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
You must not believe in statistics at all. Appleby doesn't have a ton of playoff experience but he did start a couple of games in last years playoffs due to injury. He started in net for the final 3-2 loss to NB in Game 4 last year that I hope he uses as a learning experience and motivational tool as he was pretty ticked off after that game. He has been great this year for Oshawa and I'm assuming you are just basing your opinion on the west having the higher scoring teams rather than watching the game he plays.

Not arguing against appleby, really haven't watched him at all except vs Niagara but sometimes regular season stats can be pretty irrelevant in the playoffs. Sometimes a goalie just needs to have "it"...you know, an ability to make the big save when his team needs it the most. Look at Visentin for the IceDogs in 2012 when they made their finals run. He had a 1.99gga and .926 sp with 10 shutouts. In the playoffs, however, especially the finals vs London, he was the teams weak link, letting in weak and ill-timed goals. (Kind of like his years on the World Jr team)

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Ya I fail to see how Appleby has only done well against the weaker teams this year, considering he leads the league in wins, and has not lost a single game all year to a Western conference team. He has been the back bone of this Generals team all year and is, in my opinion, a top 5 goalie in the whole CHL. He might lack playoff experience, but he has been apart of this Generals team for years now and knows what it takes. The least of Oshawa's worries.

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Ya I fail to see how Appleby has only done well against the weaker teams this year, considering he leads the league in wins, and has not lost a single game all year to a Western conference team. He has been the back bone of this Generals team all year and is, in my opinion, a top 5 goalie in the whole CHL. He might lack playoff experience, but he has been apart of this Generals team for years now and knows what it takes. The least of Oshawa's worries.

This.

Even if he had one of the other goalies ahead then maybe there's an argument but placing all of them ahead and a tie with soo just made me cringe.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Appleby is hands down a better goaltender then Williams and Blackwood and unfortunately was stuck behind Altshuler for the last couple years. Oshawa would have done better last year if they had of dealt Altshuler and went with Appleby down the stretch.

Hands down? I appreciate that you think your guy got thrown under the bus but now you're swinging the pendulum the other way. Blackwood is the reigning goaltender of the month and player of the week; you can hardly say anyone is "hands down" better on that information alone. Also, Appleby is undrafted twice and has had the benefit of way fewer shots per game while Blackwood is a projected first round pick and just got a major upgrade to the defence corps in front of him. In terms of playoff experience, Blackwood has won some games and Appleby has not. Can't we just say it's close?

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Hands down? I appreciate that you think your guy got thrown under the bus but now you're swinging the pendulum the other way. Blackwood is the reigning goaltender of the month and player of the week; you can hardly say anyone is "hands down" better on that information alone. Also, Appleby is undrafted twice and has had the benefit of way fewer shots per game while Blackwood is a projected first round pick and just got a major upgrade to the defence corps in front of him. In terms of playoff experience, Blackwood has won some games and Appleby has not. Can't we just say it's close?

Yeah I guess hands down was maybe a little exaggerated, and for the record my guy is Charlie Graham of the Bulls. I have been watching Appleby since he first came into the league and the kid has always really impressed me, and apologize to Blackwood fans as he and Smith are probably the most underrated goalies in the league. I guess they just get overlooked as they play for Eastern teams.

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Not arguing against appleby, really haven't watched him at all except vs Niagara but sometimes regular season stats can be pretty irrelevant in the playoffs. Sometimes a goalie just needs to have "it"...you know, an ability to make the big save when his team needs it the most.

Appleby's one of the calmed goalies in the crease I've seen in the O.
He never seems to move because he reads the play so well and is always in the right place. Very economical with his movements and seemingly unflappable - I'm sure his teammates gain great confidence from Appleby's calm manner & of course his lead leading stats.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah I guess hands down was maybe a little exaggerated, and for the record my guy is Charlie Graham of the Bulls. I have been watching Appleby since he first came into the league and the kid has always really impressed me, and apologize to Blackwood fans as he and Smith are probably the most underrated goalies in the league. I guess they just get overlooked as they play for Eastern teams.

I watched Appleby score a goal in Sault Ste. Marie while playing for the North Bay Trappers of the GNMHL and have followed him ever since as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
trades

Not sure what this writer has against Windsor, giving them the loser designation in the trade wars when in fact it should be winners
Factual misinformation does not help as the Spits did not give up a 2nd round 2015 pick in the Moore trade it was a 2016 2nd pick, in fact they picked up a 2015 2nd round pick in the Stefano trade which has to be given to the league because of the sanctions, thereby protecting the 2nd round pick they have from Sudbury which will be 23rd, that alone makes them a winner , getting a 5th for the under performing Foss was good, especially when trading for Venuto which cost a 6th and he has 1 less goal then Foss with 26 less games played, not trading Murphy and Fot-inos will payoff as Murphy is expected back while the other will be dealt in the off season
The Stefano trade in the end negates the Moore one, but getting the other 2nd round pick for 15 was huge
The Spits were winners at the deadline not losers

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Not sure what this writer has against Windsor, giving them the loser designation in the trade wars when in fact it should be winners
Factual misinformation does not help as the Spits did not give up a 2nd round 2015 pick in the Moore trade it was a 2016 2nd pick, in fact they picked up a 2015 2nd round pick in the Stefano trade which has to be given to the league because of the sanctions, thereby protecting the 2nd round pick they have from Sudbury which will be 23rd, that alone makes them a winner , getting a 5th for the under performing Foss was good, especially when trading for Venuto which cost a 6th and he has 1 less goal then Foss with 26 less games played, not trading Murphy and Fot-inos will payoff as Murphy is expected back while the other will be dealt in the off season
The Stefano trade in the end negates the Moore one, but getting the other 2nd round pick for 15 was huge
The Spits were winners at the deadline not losers

It wasn't just Windsor, according to the writer the Bulls were losers as well. A author makes the assumption that the team fails if they don't trade their OA's but fails to take into account that teams can only carry three overaged players and most of the contending teams were set with better options. There is a much smaller market for overaged palyers so why just through away a vailuable asset to the team for later pick that may not amount to anything. In the Bulls case unlike the author I think the Bulls made the right descion keeping Suban as there is a good chanse he will be back next year given the fact he isn't signed and is a smaller defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad