Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk 4: Jim Nill's Trading Tactics are Classless

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Of the offers last week, ours was the weakest.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Nill overpaying for a goalie. Rangers asking price is a bit much for us so I don't see us getting Talbot. Goaltending is priority #1 this summer, but management knows there are several options, even waiting until July 1 when teams who have made trades already are out of the running.

We've been kicking tires on a few options so far. I'm not sure if Nill will all of a sudden lock in on one and go hard or not, and I'm not sure which of those horses is in the lead, if any. He may even surprise us.

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
Canucks fan here. Kinda curious as to how you value Brett Ritchie?

Would Lack+Jensen for Ritchie be fair?

That way you get a solid goalie and a prospect who plays similar to Ritchie but hasn't developed as fast as him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Doubt we'd go for that. Jensen's drifting into bust territory rapidly.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Canucks fan here. Kinda curious as to how you value Brett Ritchie?

Would Lack+Jensen for Ritchie be fair?

That way you get a solid goalie and a prospect who plays similar to Ritchie but hasn't developed as fast as him.

Not interested. Ritchie is possibly ready for top 6 duty; trading him for a backup goalie doesn't make much sense. Jensen does nothing for us either.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Bob Sturm on Twitter is making the same point I had been thinking since I'd heard we are in the race for Sharp and all the goalies. Why are we not hearing rumors about defense? Unless Sharp and goalie are much cheaper than I'm thinking (2 2nds, roster player (Roussel? Daley?) and a prospect or two), we should be saving these assets to upgrade the D.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm sure he's looking for a D. May not be many available or we just haven't heard who he's targeting. We do need a goalie though. Sharp no we don't really need, although we just use a 2nd line LW, but not if the cost is to much.

I'm happy having Klinger, Demers, Nemeth and Goli playing D next year. JJ as our 6 or 7th D I guess. If we could trade Daley and Jordie and replace them with a more defensive experienced D man I'd be happier. We aren't going to end up trading for a #1 unfortunately :(

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Bob Sturm on Twitter is making the same point I had been thinking since I'd heard we are in the race for Sharp and all the goalies. Why are we not hearing rumors about defense? Unless Sharp and goalie are much cheaper than I'm thinking (2 2nds, roster player (Roussel? Daley?) and a prospect or two), we should be saving these assets to upgrade the D.

Which defenseman is known to be on the block? Who is generating the big headlines because everyone knows they will be dealt? The same reason we aren't hearing rumors about trading dinosaurs or unicorns.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Which defenseman is known to be on the block? Who is generating the big headlines because everyone knows they will be dealt? The same reason we aren't hearing rumors about trading dinosaurs or unicorns.

I guess I more mean, why are we hearing rumors for an expensive piece (Sharp) when we haven't done anything to address the defense. If we use assets on him that we could use to bring in a defenseman, I don't think we should do it. Or at least get the defenseman first. Sharp isn't going to be cheap.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

This.

The only relatively big name is Phaneuf, and there hasn't been much, if anything, on him lately.

I'm just glad Nill is doing what he can to better the team. There's no way he's not trying to fix the defense, not after what we all saw and what's been hinted at. Its not easy, though, or else anyone could do it.

Just give it some time. We're still two days away from the draft. Plenty of GMs are probably holding their cards since they can talk to FAs starting tomorrow, and probably want at least an idea of what they can get there before they ship away assets.

This draft is also shaping up to be extremely busy. I know at least a couple of experts have said they think it could rival 2008 with the amount of trades and moved picks. Even though its such a deep draft and the picks are so valuable, it seems like GMs are willing to pay up to get the picks they want. Hell, even #3 is rumored to be up for grabs, with two "substantial offers" that Maloney is supposedly seriously considering.

If, after another week or two, Nill hasn't made a single move, then I think its time to worry a bit.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I guess I more mean, why are we hearing rumors for an expensive piece (Sharp) when we haven't done anything to address the defense. If we use assets on him that we could use to bring in a defenseman, I don't think we should do it. Or at least get the defenseman first. Sharp isn't going to be cheap.

I'd imagine it's because the defense isn't going to be addressed. I doubt there is a trade to be made that helps us, and we've got 8 guys already. It is possible something happens on the free agent market, but this year's class isn't great, and unless you plan on walking away from Goligoski and Demers it will be better to stay out of it. Expect Nill to let the young guys grow, and focus his efforts on replacing Horcoff, Cole, and Eaves.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
To be fair to Nill, he did inquire about Seabrook. I don't think it went anywhere though.

There might not be a lot out there to improve defense, and a FA option would be the last resort.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not really big on moving Roussel for Sharp, but...

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Sharp - Spezza - Hemsky
McKenzie - Eakin - Ritchie

That's still really solid. I wouldn't want to add much if that were to go down, though.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Not really big on moving Roussel for Sharp, but...

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Sharp - Spezza - Hemsky
McKenzie - Eakin - Ritchie

That's still really solid. I wouldn't want to add much if that were to go down, though.

I'd wonder if it's just Roussel or if there is an added pick/prospect heading their way.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I'd wonder if it's just Roussel or if there is an added pick/prospect heading their way.

I'm sure there'd be more involved, though you'd have to think both teams are a bit concerned about dealing in the division. That said, I'm in favour of this. Sharp plays two way hockey, he gets his points, and you can slot him in at any forward position. My feeling on him is he's a really underrated skater given the talent in Chicago, but others may think he's a product of it.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
There is a God

I'm also quite relieved that someone's God is keeping us from making a New York Rangers-esque trade for the expensive, aging Sharp. Giving up Roussel in the process...yikes. Scary rumor.

Let's address Goaltending and Defense before adding to our offensive payroll. The offense is great already.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Roussel isn't a super vital player. I'd rather trade him (and Garbutt) to the East than play against him frequently, but he doesn't bring that much to the table. This year he didn't score or hit as much, he couldn't play with Spezza and Hemsky so we know he's a 3rd liner at best, and he isn't a great fighter or penalty killer. I'm not in a hurry to move him, but if we can get something better than an average 3rd liner for him we need to make that deal.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Roussel isn't a super vital player. I'd rather trade him (and Garbutt) to the East than play against him frequently, but he doesn't bring that much to the table. This year he didn't score or hit as much, he couldn't play with Spezza and Hemsky so we know he's a 3rd liner at best, and he isn't a great fighter or penalty killer. I'm not in a hurry to move him, but if we can get something better than an average 3rd liner for him we need to make that deal.

The part that bothered me wasn't Roussel it was Roussel + for Sharp. Chicago has to move salary. Dallas doesn't have to add to their top six. I'm not paying a premium for a guy his age to a team in the division who's in cap trouble. Chicago can get themselves out of their own mess without us overpaying and helping them out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't care what the rumor was, there's no reason to ever believe IMO that Dallas is going to overpay. They've been conservative even with the two monster moves they made. They never moved an asset that was a vital piece of the Dallas puzzle. It was also smart pieces that they had an abundance of.

I agree 100% with Misty. I have no problem with Roussel, but he's a position you could definitely improve at, and it doesn't have to be Sharp. I said there's a better than average chance Roussel is gone at the end of his contract anyway. He'll command even more money, and he's the type of player you easily replace from within rather than overpay.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The part that bothered me wasn't Roussel it was Roussel + for Sharp. Chicago has to move salary. Dallas doesn't have to add to their top six. I'm not paying a premium for a guy his age to a team in the division who's in cap trouble. Chicago can get themselves out of their own mess without us overpaying and helping them out.

Surely you don't think Sharp and Roussel have the same value? Obviously lots depends on the plus, but Roussel plus for Sharp isn't really paying a premium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad