Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk 4: Jim Nill's Trading Tactics are Classless

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just for fun ... looked back at previous Phaneuf trade because it was hard to remember the perception of the players at the time of the trade. Must were a total bust after:

Toronto Maple Leafs traded Ian White, Matt Stajan, Nicklas Hagman and Jamal Mayers to the Calgary Flames for Dion Phaneuf, Keith Aulie and Fredrik Sjostrom.

Ian White - 26 year old Top 4 D - RFA
Matt Stajan - 26 year old Top 6 Center - UFA
Niklas Hagman - 30 year old Top 9 Winger / 20 goal scorer - 2 years at $3/per
Jamal Mayer - 35 year old 4th line Grinder - UFA

Dion Phaneuf - 25 year old Top Pair D - 4 years at $6.5/per
Keith Aulit - 21 year old prospect; Not a top prospect but some promise
Fredrik Syostrom - 27 year old Bottom 6 Forward - 1 year at $1.5

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Oops, my bad!

Adding a defensive minded defenseman makes the playoff picture come back into focus.

Primetimey*

Goligoski - Klingberg
Daley - FuuNuff
Nemeth - Demers
Benn
#PlayOffs

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It would also mean one of Daley or Goligoski is traded for him which would help even more.

It most certainly does NOT mean that. It could happen, but my guess is it's doubtful. It's far from a sure thing though.

GM's don't subtract talent at the deadline to try and make the playoffs. Adding to Daley and Goligoski would be the goal, and the team clearly values both. One or both will eventually move, but it's not all that reasonable to assume it would be at the deadline.

The only way they go the other way is if Toronto desperately wanted them. I can't imagine a scenario where Jim Nill would want to move either in a push for the playoffs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yep, after BigG's post yesterday about how hard it's going to be too even come back just 5 points out I gave in, now with Enroth and the Phaneuf talk......

I should have been more clear ... that was based on the trade deadline.

Essentially ... if they can't make up 2 or 3 points in two weeks, they're probably out. There is still definitely hope, and trying to correct the problem in goal could be the difference.

I was shocked too by looking at it that way FWIW. I had previously stated I though 10 points wasn't potentially too insurmountable ... but that was just crazy when you consider the numbers.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Dallas gets Dion Phaneuf ... people are going to have to stop talking crap about Bruce Garrioch. It'll have been the third time he was correct about Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Didn't want to derail the trade specific talk about Enroth ...

Right now? No.

However, it's kind of a culture shock. I'm sure everyone agrees that Kari once stood atop a large pedestal for this team... and that pedestal has certainly come crashing down over the past few months.

Talking about Phaneuf is fun and all, but there is a realistic shot that Toronto could wait until the summer.

I got crap for this, but Kari Lehtonen still makes the most sense as a salary dump for Toronto. Another report came out today that the Leafs are shopping both Reimer and Bernier.

If they want to get the move value out of Phaneuf without retaining salary, they'll take a salary dump back. Kari would be a fine option for them during the rebuild. In two years they could easily move him in the final year of his contract ... especially at the deadline potentially.

If they aren't happy with their guys, unless they think Niemi is a long term solution ... there aren't starters out there this summer. Kari would be a decent, temporary stop gap and a means to get close to real value for Phaneuf.

If we're going to add the guy ... I'd love for it to happen sooner rather than later just to get it over with. That eliminates Kari as an option. I just don't think Nill would dump him right this moment in season. If you can't do that though ... it does open an interesting door.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FWIW ... I don't really want to see Kari traded. I'm just pointing out an option. I think he could easily have a nice bounce back year. I'd rather not get the benefit of getting Phaneuf with a contract dump. I'd rather less assets to land him at his higher cap hit as well.

Kari will either break or get awesome with real competition. Hopefully Enroth is real competition, and maybe they can work together for a few seasons if this goes well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad