2014-15 Season Predictions

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Oct 15, 2008
I don't even think they need to do that. Jackson Whistle is more than capable of being a solid starting goaltender. In fact I believe he can be better than just "solid". He has a lot of talent. The Giants made a mistake trading him especially given their current goaltending situation...

This^.

Calgary wins the east. Portland wins the west. Seattle and Kelowna will be strong in the west. Brandon, Red Deer and Edmonton in the east. Medicine Hat drops in the standings.

Saskatoon is on their way to being the laughing stock of the east.
Lethbridge should fold.

Oct 15, 2008
How do the Oil Kings remain top four in the league after losing pretty much their entire core and head coach?

Also am I alone with Speedy Creek doing well this season? I understand they are losing Laurikainen but the defense looks like it could be the class of the league. Please correct me if I'm wrong but Brandon loses Pulock right? Heatherington, Honka, Martin older and better? Yikes... Flames released Gordon so he'll be back. Cave should be back. Gawdin is poised to break out. I don't think we can just hand the Wheat Kings the division. Yeah their top scorers were young, but they certainly don't look like Brayden Point from a third party observer. Only two players surpassed 60 points and one of them was Pulock. I do think they will contend for the division, but I see it more as a battle from a young team losing it's captain and a core that isn't ready quite yet.

Edmonton lost even more players the year before and went on to win the Memorial Cup. But why let a few facts get in the way of a good old bashing.

Word on the street is Honka will be playing pro or in Europe. Which I think would be a good move for him. There's nothing in the whl to really help him develop. He's too good for that league anymore.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
This^.

Calgary wins the east. Portland wins the west. Seattle and Kelowna will be strong in the west. Brandon, Red Deer and Edmonton in the east. Medicine Hat drops in the standings.

Lethbridge should fold.

Wishing those rumours of Lethbridge moving to Winnipeg and Kootenay moving to Lethbridge were true, would be a major win for the City of Lethbridge. :help:

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Edmonton lost even more players the year before and went on to win the Memorial Cup. But why let a few facts get in the way of a good old bashing.

Word on the street is Honka will be playing pro or in Europe. Which I think would be a good move for him. There's nothing in the whl to really help him develop. He's too good for that league anymore.

Agreed, we shouldn't let the details get in the way when it's obvious a team with a jersey that ugly should not be representing the WHL at the Memorial Cup.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
This^.

Lethbridge should fold.
Can't really disagree. I think Spokompton will be strong and Everett may start crawling out of the cellar.

Tri-cities should still suck.

I see no reason why Portland shouldn't be the strongest in the west (at least in the reg. season) in spote of Kompon potentially ruining their powerplay. :)

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Agreed, we shouldn't let the details get in the way when it's obvious a team with a jersey that ugly should not be representing the WHL at the Memorial Cup.

I can't seem to remember, what colour jersey did the Hitmen wear when they won the memorial cup?...

Brandon wins the east and Portland wins the west. Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer strong in the east and Seattle and Kelowna challenging in the West

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
I can't seem to remember, what colour jersey did the Hitmen wear when they won the memorial cup?...

Brandon wins the east and Portland wins the west. Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer strong in the east and Seattle and Kelowna challenging in the West

Good one. Doesn't make that jersey less hideous though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
EAST
Winner: Brandon Wheat Kings
Darkhorse: Regina Pats

CENTRAL
Winner: Edmonton Oil Kings
Darkhorse: Red Deer Rebels [Not really a darkhorse team, but very tough division]

BC
Winner: Kelowna Rockets [Personally I think they're the best team in the dub]
Darkhorse: Victoria Royals

USA
Winner: Portland Winterhawks [If the Thunderbirds get consistency from the whole team, I honestly think they could challenge the WHs]
Darkhorse: Tri-City Americans [Actually building a solid grinding team filled with a lot of great two-way powerforwards]

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Brandon is going to score and score a lot. They might get scored on quite a bit if some of the new rookie D men like Clague and Provorov take time to adapt. I expect them and Swifty to battle it out in the east.

I like Calgary in the Central, Edmonton and Medicine Hat will be right behind them. Edmonton could be great if Lazar comes back if not they will still be good.

Kelowna has the BC division wrapped up easily. Victoria may give them a challenge if they find scoring.

Portland has the US division and I think Seattle is right behind them

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
This year the WHL is also going to the new playoff format to resemble the NHL one.

http://www.whl.ca/article/new-playoff-format-approved-for-whl

So in a scenario such as this:

1. Brandon
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. Swift Current
5. Medicine Hat
6. Red Deer
7. Regina
8. Saskatoon
--------------------
9. Prince Albert
10. Kootenay
11. Moose Jaw
12. Lethbridge

The 1st round matchups would be:
Brandon vs Saskatoon
Calgary vs Red Deer
Edmonton vs Med Hat
Swift Current vs Regina

If I'm going to finish 2nd in my division, I'd rather be in the East than the Central, that's for sure!

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Being a fan of both the Winterhawks and Blackhawks:

Regadless of their place in the US. Division, I predict that the Winterhawks, by the virtue of their new coach, will have a powerplay will be ranked dead last in the entire CHL, not to mention the WHL.

Oh c'mon now, don't break the heart of this former Massachusetts chick who has suffered through practically the worst PP in the NHL for the past few years. Going to my first 'Hawks game on the 19th. Can't wait to watch the kids play.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Oh c'mon now, don't break the heart of this former Massachusetts chick who has suffered through practically the worst PP in the NHL for the past few years. Going to my first 'Hawks game on the 19th. Can't wait to watch the kids play.
I have freinds who are Kings fans who suffered through Kompon in 2012 as an assistant there. As a B'hawks fan I suffered through him in 2013 and last year. In 12 and 13, Think Kings and Blackhawks won the cup respectively in spite of Kompon's inept special teams.

The W'hawks should be very strong in the Pacific this year in spite of the fact that Kompon sucks at special teams. Keep in mind matches against Seattle should be knock-down-drag-out affairs, so it makes for good old-time hockey and you should enjoy yourself.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
So based on the divisions, here is what I got:

East division:

1. Z-Brandon
2. X-Swift Current
3. X-Regina
4. X-Prince Albert
5. Saskatoon
6. Moose Jaw

Central:

1. Y-Edmonton
2. X-Calgary
3. X-Medicine Hat
4. X-Red Deer
5. Kootenay
6. Lethbridge

Round 1 matchups:

Brandon vs. Prince Albert
Swift Current vs. Regina
Edmonton vs. Red Deer
Calgary vs. Medicine Hat

rednation56

Sep 8, 2014
East

Brandon
Edmonton
Swift Current
Calgary
Red Deer
Medicine Hat
Regina
Prince Albert

Saskatoon
Moose Jaw
Kootenay
Lethbridge

West

Kelowna
Seattle
Portland
Victoria
Prince George
Vancouver
Everett
Tri- City

Kamloops
Spokane

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Players to watch on the Royals are import pick forward Ferletak, probably flying under a lot or radars currently, but I expect him to do good things here, top Bantam pick from last year forward Hannoun could provide decent offense, D-man Jarratt has already had exposure to hockey Canada, so good things are expected of him, forward Soy had a bit of a disappointing season, this is his draft year so it's time for him to take a big step, Reddekopp is already rated as one of the very top D-Men for the upcoming NHL draft, but he'll need to have a big year to keep that status.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I have freinds who are Kings fans who suffered through Kompon in 2012 as an assistant there. As a B'hawks fan I suffered through him in 2013 and last year. In 12 and 13, Think Kings and Blackhawks won the cup respectively in spite of Kompon's inept special teams.

The W'hawks should be very strong in the Pacific this year in spite of the fact that Kompon sucks at special teams. Keep in mind matches against Seattle should be knock-down-drag-out affairs, so it makes for good old-time hockey and you should enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the insight on Kompon. I hate to admit it, but being spoiled with 2 AHL teams and an NHL team for the past few decades, I have barely followed Jr hockey. Granted, Jr hockey in New England is atrocious and B level at best so there we are. Am figuring the home opener, with the banner being raised and them playing Seattle all combined together, that it is going to be seen as prime opportunity for a little on ice shenanigans as there will be plenty of time for suspensions to be completed by post season. LOL

Sports Junkie 99

Aug 24, 2013
So based on the divisions, here is what I got:

East division:

1. Z-Brandon
2. X-Swift Current
3. X-Regina
4. X-Prince Albert
5. Saskatoon
6. Moose Jaw

Central:

1. Y-Edmonton
2. X-Calgary
3. X-Medicine Hat
4. X-Red Deer
5. Kootenay
6. Lethbridge

Round 1 matchups:

Brandon vs. Prince Albert
Swift Current vs. Regina
Edmonton vs. Red Deer
Calgary vs. Medicine Hat

The round 1 playoffs could look entirely different than what you propose, even if the standings end up as you have them. There could be maybe a dozen different scenarios. It depends on how many points every team has, even the ones you currently show out of the playoffs. It also depends on who won the Conference and which team finished first in the other division. I assume you have Brandon as Conference winner, or is it Edmonton?

Why not take a guess at the points each team has and then we can have another shot at this?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
USA
Winner: Portland Winterhawks [If the Thunderbirds get consistency from the whole team, I honestly think they could challenge the WHs]
Darkhorse: Tri-City Americans [Actually building a solid grinding team filled with a lot of great two-way powerforwards]

Definitely need a 2nd scoring line to take pressure off of Hickman/Barzal/Gropp.

Looks like things are starting to gel with Pederson/Kolesar/Ensor

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
I don't like this new playoff format. It will suck if their are divisional imbalances, which happens every couple years.

Take last year for example.

First Round (Seeds are by regular season total points)
Bracket Two
#4 Regina(DIVISION WINNER) Vs #6 Kootenay (Higher wildcard)
#5 Swift Vs #7Brandon

Bracket One
#1 Edmonton (Division Winner) vs #8Prince Albert (Lesser Wildcard)
#2 Calgary Vs #3Medicine Hat

Second round
The teams within the brackets play each other.

You have the #1,#2,#3 seeds by regular season points in the same bracket. Either way Edmonton Vs Calgary or medicine hat should be a 4th round matchup and not a 2nd round matchup. I want to see the best teams in the finals, and not duking it out in round 2.

On the other side you have teams making it into the 2nd round that shouldn't be there.
Ideally you want to be the best team in a weak division... Being in a tough division will suck no matter where you finish. Round two could easily be consistently harder than round 3.
-------

Last edited:

Sports Junkie 99

Aug 24, 2013
I don't like this new playoff format. It will suck if their are divisional imbalances, which happens every couple years.

Take last year for example.

First Round (Seeds are by regular season total points)
Bracket Two
#4 Regina(DIVISION WINNER) Vs #6 Kootenay (Higher wildcard)
#5 Swift Vs #7Brandon

Bracket One
#1 Edmonton (Division Winner) vs #8Prince Albert (Lesser Wildcard)
#2 Calgary Vs #3Medicine Hat

Second round
The teams within the brackets play each other.

You have the #1,#2,#3 seeds by regular season points in the same bracket. Either way Edmonton Vs Calgary or medicine hat should be a 4th round matchup and not a 2nd round matchup. I want to see the best teams in the finals, and not duking it out in round 2.

On the other side you have teams making it into the 2nd round that shouldn't be there.
Ideally you want to be the best team in a weak division... Being in a tough division will suck no matter where you finish. Round two could easily be consistently harder than round 3.
-------

I agree with you that this is a stupid set-up. Calgary (103 pts) tied for 1st in the Conference, yet they play the Hat (92 pts) who had the 3rd most points in the Conference in the first round. One of the top 3 teams in the Conference is going out in the first round. Reg, S.C., Brnd, Koot and P.A. all have less points than the Tigers yet 4 of them get easy first round opponents so 2 will automatically advance.

You said round two could easily be consistently harder than round three and I agree. Round one can also be harder than round two. It just makes no sense.

Another oddity is that a lower placed team could gain a distinct advantage. In this case that would be 6th place Kootenay. They go over to a bracket with teams that had virtually the same or less points than they did.

Reg.....85
S.C.....85
Koot....83
Brnd...77

One could easily argue that Kootenay is the best team in that bracket and would have a pretty easy route to the Eastern Conference Final. The Ice had a much tougher schedule than the other 3 teams did and are only 2 points behind Reg and Swifty. The Hat had a pretty good season finishing with 93 points in a very tough Division. The Ice only had 83 points in the same Division, yet Kootenay gets a much much easier road in the playoffs. Like I said earlier, it just makes no sense.

You could literally see one of the top teams with 80-85 points tanking to drop from say 3rd to 6th or 7th or some such scenario.

Here is another example from the 2012-13 season:

3rd Calgary Hitmen 72 46 21 1 4 97
4th Red Deer Rebels 72 39 26 5 2 85
5th Prince Albert Raiders 72 37 28 3 4 81

Under the old system, Red Deer would have had home ice advantage and played a fairly weak Prince Albert team. With the new system, the Rebels would lose home ice and have to play a much better Calgary team.

I also checked back and in 2011-12 and the Hat had the same scenario as Red Deer above:

3rd Calgary Hitmen .... 72 44 25 2 1 91
4th Medicine Hat Tigers 72 42 24 2 4 90
5th Saskatoon Blades .. 72 40 29 1 2 83

In 2010-11 it was the Ice getting screwed again:

3rd Medicine Hat Tigers 72 46 18 4 4 100
4th Kootenay Ice ........ 72 46 21 1 4 97
5th Moose Jaw Warriors 72 40 26 2 4 86

Four things to take from this:

#1 This new system is moronic and then some.
#2 The Central Division has been much stronger than the Eastern Division for many years.
#3 I don't know if this one is just bad luck or some kind of mathematical certainty. In EVERY ONE OF THE 5 SCENARIOS presented here....the 4th place team gets screwed over.
#4 The Hurricanes don't show up anywhere in this post as we are talking PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!

Last edited:

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
#4 The Hurricanes don't show up anywhere in this post as we are talking PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!

LOL. and nice post on the white boards :P

This format makes an upset more likely, and gives them a better chance to succeed, and its disrespectful to a 72 game season.

This format will likely generate more revenue in more playoff games, less travel, so unless their is a big uproar, by having multiple years of divisional imbalances its likely to stay. I am considering writing a letter to their head office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad