2014-15 Season Predictions

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I think the Wheat Kings will win the East Division and challenge for 1st in the conference and should continue to improve the next 2 years.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
East:

Calgary*
Brandon*
Regina*
Edmonton*
Red Deer*
Swift Current*
Medicine Hat*
Moose Jaw*
Kootenay
Prince Albert
Saskatoon
Lethbridge

West:

Seattle*
Kelowna*
Portland*
Vancouver*
Everett*
Spokane*
Tri-City*
Prince George*
Victoria
Kamloops

Probably off by a bit in the west, but the east is pretty realistic. In terms of who to keep an eye on... It's all about the young guys this year. draft eligibles and younger. Barzal should have a huge year. If Kelowna has another solid year look for Merkley to have a good year. The most interesting players to watch will be the '98 class. Sam Steel could have the best rookie season anyone's seen in a long time. he's incredible. I've watched him since he was in bantam and he's always been dominant. Zach Sawchenko is the goalie to keep an eye on. had great numbers in bantam and has a very high ceiling in terms of potential. Benson is interesting. personally I don't think he possesses the skill set Sam does, but he plays a different style. watch for him to have a decent rookie season as he'll likely be the go to player in Vancouver. A defenceman to keep an eye on who really doesn't have a lot of buzz around him is draft eligible defenceman Brendan Guhle. thought he played well last year.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It depends for me. If Drasaitl and Morrissey return to Prince Albert, I say they make a buttload of trades. Like I see them acquiring Klimchuk and a whole bunch of NHL drafted players. But if Drasaitl stays in Edmonton, I say Morrissey is traded to Kelowna. So if D/M are in Prince Albert, I say they are first in the east.

1. Edmonton
2. Brandon
3. Red Deer
4. Calgary
5. Moose Jaw
6. Saskatoon
7. Swift Current
8. Regina
9. Medicine Hat
10. Lethbridge
11. Prince Albert (listed above)
12. Kootaney

1. Kelowna
2. Portland
3. Seattle
4. Victoria
5. Prince George
6. Vancouver
7. Tri-City
8. Everett
9. Kamloops
10. Spokane

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
So first of all this conference business is old news. Second, why are we handing the standings to the Rockets? Cooke is gone. Huska is gone. Not sure I see them continuing to dominate.

East Division
1. Swift Current Broncos*
2. Brandon Wheat Kings*
3. Regina Pats*
4. Moose Jaw Warriors
5. Prince Albert Raiders
6. Saskatoon Blades

Central Division
1. Calgary Hitmen*
2. Medicine Hat Tigers*
3. Red Deer Rebels*
4. Edmonton Oil Kings*
5. Kootenay Ice*
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes

B.C. Division
1. Victoria Royals*
2. Vancouver Giants*
3. Kelowna Rockets*
4. Prince George Cougars*
5. Kamloops Blazers

U.S. Division
1. Portland Winterhawks*
2. Seattle Thunderbirds*
3. Everett Silvertips*
4. Tri City Americans*
5. Spokane Chiefs

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So first of all this conference business is old news. Second, why are we handing the standings to the Rockets? Cooke is gone. Huska is gone. Not sure I see them continuing to dominate.

Cause they have Madison Bowey, Nick Merkley, Tyson Baillie (Should've been drafted this year) and a whole bunch of players who'll step up.

Only players they really lost were Cooke, Bell, Severson, Tvrdon, Olsen and possibly Goulbourne.

I also think they'll trade for Comrie since he's a solid goalie and is exactly what they need. Even Morrissey if Drasaitl doesn't return to Prince Albert.

Ryan Hall is also the next goalie in line who has played four years of AAA hockey, making it as a 12 year old. So I say he has a shot making it full-time next year.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Cause they have Madison Bowey, Nick Merkley, Tyson Baillie (Should've been drafted this year) and a whole bunch of players who'll step up.

Only players they really lost were Cooke, Bell, Severson, Tvrdon, Olsen and possibly Goulbourne.

I also think they'll trade for Comrie since he's a solid goalie and is exactly what they need. Even Morrissey if Drasaitl doesn't return to Prince Albert.

Ryan Hall is also the next goalie in line who has played four years of AAA hockey, making it as a 12 year old. So I say he has a shot making it full-time next year.

Hmmmm I'm not so sure. When I watched them play last year it was the system that made them successful and now their coach of 7 years is gone.

I also look at the Royals and Giants and think with the turnover that is happening there they will stay the same or improve. Rockets seemed primed for a step back. Not sure why Tri-City would trade Eric Comrie, that doesn't make sense for them in my opinion. PA needs to fall out of it before they move Morrissey and I don't know a lot about the depth of Rocket prospects but the Hitmen have a lot coming from the 17 year old age group to replace whatever they offer up in trade so I think they are poised to make an offer for Morrissey.

Sports Junkie 99

Aug 24, 2013

East Division
2. Brandon Wheat Kings*
3. Regina Pats*
4. Moose Jaw Warriors
5. Saskatoon Blades

Central Division
1. Calgary Hitmen*
2. Medicine Hat Tigers*
3. Red Deer Rebels*
4. Edmonton Oil Kings*
5. Kootenay Ice*
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes

B.C. Division
1. Victoria Royals*
2. Vancouver Giants*
3. Kelowna Rockets*
5. Kamloops Blazers

U.S. Division
1. Portland Winterhawks*
2. Seattle Thunderbirds*
3. Everett Silvertips*
4. Tri City Americans*
5. Spokane Chiefs

When did Prince Albert fold up their franchise!!!

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

East Division
2. Brandon Wheat Kings*
3. Regina Pats*
4. Moose Jaw Warriors
5. Prince Albert Raiders
6. Saskatoon Blades

Central Division
1. Calgary Hitmen*
2. Medicine Hat Tigers*
3. Red Deer Rebels*
4. Edmonton Oil Kings*
5. Kootenay Ice*
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes

B.C. Division
1. Victoria Royals*
2. Vancouver Giants*
3. Kelowna Rockets*
5. Kamloops Blazers

U.S. Division
1. Portland Winterhawks*
2. Seattle Thunderbirds*
3. Everett Silvertips*
4. Tri City Americans*
5. Spokane Chiefs

East Division
1 Brandon youth continues to improve 2 of the top 3 top scorers were only 17
2 Swift Current lose 2 of 4 top scorers plus No 1 goaltender will be tough to replace
3 Regina could lose 3 out of 4 top scorers if Klimchuk plays in AHL
4 Prince Albert could lose their top 3 scores with Driasaitl may be staying with Edmonton
5 Saskatoon Blades started rebuild last year and will be better this year
6 Moose Jaw are in rebuild mode

Central Division
1 Calgary strong group of 17 year defencemen plus they have Chase and Virtanen
2 Red Deer only lose 1 of their top 4 scores
3 Edmonton they still have Jarry and Pollock so still good team that knows how to win
4 Kootney most likely will lose Rienhart if he returns they finish 2nd
5 Medicine Hat to hard to over come the loss of Valk, Bredo and Doty Shinkarik will likely play in pros
6 Lethbridge the rebuild continues

Calgary edges Brandon in the Eastern Final 4-3

Then at least 2 seasons of Wheat on top of the East with Patrick, Clague, Kaspick, Lewis and Mattheos as youth to go with J Quenville Hawryluk, Gabrielle Papirny and Pilon

Don't see enough of the West to predict

Hordichuk_24

I also think they'll trade for Comrie since he's a solid goalie and is exactly what they need.

I don't even think they need to do that. Jackson Whistle is more than capable of being a solid starting goaltender. In fact I believe he can be better than just "solid". He has a lot of talent. The Giants made a mistake trading him especially given their current goaltending situation...

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I dont have a hot clue on the West, so I will just do the east for now.

1. Brandon - d
2. Edmonton - d
3. Calgary
4. Swift Current
5. Prince Albert (*)
6. Medicine Hat
7. Red Deer
8. Regina
-------------
9. Kootenay
10. Moose Jaw
11. Saskatoon
12. Lethbridge

(*) = If Morrissey and Draisaitl are not with the Raiders. If they are, move them into 3rd in the East, and move Calgary and SC down one.

Best guess. You never know in the WHL. Just hope my high hopes with Brandon come true ;)

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
West

1) Kelowna
2) Portland
3) Seattle
4) Victoria
5) Everett
6) Spokane
7) Prince George
8) Vancouver
9) Kamloops
10) Tri-City

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Being a fan of both the Winterhawks and Blackhawks:

Regadless of their place in the US. Division, I predict that the Winterhawks, by the virtue of their new coach, will have a powerplay will be ranked dead last in the entire CHL, not to mention the WHL.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It's a little too early to predict standings with so many players up in the air, but I think Brandon, Kelowna, Edmonton and Calgary are the four front runners by far no matter what.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
It's a little too early to predict standings with so many players up in the air, but I think Brandon, Kelowna, Edmonton and Calgary are the four front runners by far no matter what.

How do the Oil Kings remain top four in the league after losing pretty much their entire core and head coach?

Also am I alone with Speedy Creek doing well this season? I understand they are losing Laurikainen but the defense looks like it could be the class of the league. Please correct me if I'm wrong but Brandon loses Pulock right? Heatherington, Honka, Martin older and better? Yikes... Flames released Gordon so he'll be back. Cave should be back. Gawdin is poised to break out. I don't think we can just hand the Wheat Kings the division. Yeah their top scorers were young, but they certainly don't look like Brayden Point from a third party observer. Only two players surpassed 60 points and one of them was Pulock. I do think they will contend for the division, but I see it more as a battle from a young team losing it's captain and a core that isn't ready quite yet.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
How do the Oil Kings remain top four in the league after losing pretty much their entire core and head coach?

Also am I alone with Speedy Creek doing well this season? I understand they are losing Laurikainen but the defense looks like it could be the class of the league. Please correct me if I'm wrong but Brandon loses Pulock right? Heatherington, Honka, Martin older and better? Yikes... Flames released Gordon so he'll be back. Cave should be back. Gawdin is poised to break out. I don't think we can just hand the Wheat Kings the division. Yeah their top scorers were young, but they certainly don't look like Brayden Point from a third party observer. Only two players surpassed 60 points and one of them was Pulock. I do think they will contend for the division, but I see it more as a battle from a young team losing it's captain and a core that isn't ready quite yet.

The only starting player the Wheat will lose is Pulock but his spot will be taken by Kale Clague and also Ivan Provorov (17 year old dman) will take Rene Hunters spot. The first line of Quenneville, Hawryluk and Gabrielle (17, 17 and 16years old) are all ready to take a step up in scorer. Plus add Nolan Patrick and Tanner Kaspick who where part of the top 40 bantam players in Canada.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
1. Brandon
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. Swift Current
5. Medicine Hat
6. Red Deer
7. Regina
8. Saskatoon
--------------------
9. Prince Albert
10. Kootenay
11. Moose Jaw
12. Lethbridge

Swap Saskatoon and PA if Draisaitl and Morrissey are back.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
too early to tell for lots of teams but Kelowna and Portland will both be in the mix in the west again, very strong teams.

Players returning form the pros, or not, can make a huge difference on any teams prediction.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Being a fan of both the Winterhawks and Blackhawks:

Regadless of their place in the US. Division, I predict that the Winterhawks, by the virtue of their new coach, will have a powerplay will be ranked dead last in the entire CHL, not to mention the WHL.

seriously? I would say the trio of Petan/Bjorkstrand/Deleo will say otherwise haha... Portland will have a DEADLY powerplay and I look for them to make a few HUGE trades and take advantage of having Petan and Bjorkstrand 1 final year

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
seriously? I would say the trio of Petan/Bjorkstrand/Deleo will say otherwise haha... Portland will have a DEADLY powerplay and I look for them to make a few HUGE trades and take advantage of having Petan and Bjorkstrand 1 final year
The Blackhawks had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook on their PP units, and since Kompon took over on the Blackhawks their Powerplay was abyssimal. The W'hawks talent is there just the the B'hawks (and according to some Kings fans I know, ditto with them when Kompon was their PP coach), but his strategys are spastic and he assigns players to PP positions with no respect for their ability.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The Blackhawks had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook on their PP units, and since Kompon took over on the Blackhawks their Powerplay was abyssimal. The W'hawks talent is there just the the B'hawks (and according to some Kings fans I know, ditto with them when Kompon was their PP coach), but his strategys are spastic and he assigns players to PP positions with no respect for their ability.

this guy, knows what he is talking about. #cheaterhawks

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
this guy, knows what he is talking about. #cheaterhawks
Keep in mind with Kompon mismanaging the PP for the B'hawks in 2013 they still tore through the leage with only Detroit as the big resistance. Hell, the year before (accoding to my freinds whio are Kings fans), he did the same for the Kings.

No reason the W'hawks can't tear through the WHL with an abyssimal PP either. ;)

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Keep in mind with Kompon mismanaging the PP for the B'hawks in 2013 they still tore through the leage with only Detroit as the big resistance. Hell, the year before (accoding to my freinds whio are Kings fans), he did the same for the Kings.

No reason the W'hawks can't tear through the WHL with an abyssimal PP either. ;)

Yea, if other teams cheated they could tear through the league too.

Even with no draft picks they are still able to "persuade" young american talent from going the college route. #cheaterhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad