2014-15 Season Predictions

ELL

Aug 31, 2013
Every single post underestimates Kootenay as they do every year. With our without Reinhart they will start slow and yet finish in the top four. Nobody will want to meet them in the first round of the playoffs.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Every single post underestimates Kootenay as they do every year. With our without Reinhart they will start slow and yet finish in the top four. Nobody will want to meet them in the first round of the playoffs.

Eh, definitely disagree. This year is the year they finally break their streak.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Might as well post my standing predictions:

WHL West Conf Predictions

1 Portland
2 Kelowna
3 Victoria
4 Seattle
5 Tri-City
6 Vancouver
7 Everett
8 Prince George
9 Kamloops
10 Spokane

WHL East Conf Predictions

1 Brandon
2 Calgary
3 Edmonton
4 Swift Current
5 Med Hat
6 RD
7 Regina
8 Saskatoon
9 PA
10 MJ
11 Kootenay
12 Leth

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB

Too many other good teams. This is the year they miss the playoffs.

ELL

Aug 31, 2013
Well I better blow our horn while I still can. As of tonight, Kootenay is tied for first in the Eastern Conference.

Oct 15, 2008
Ryan McGill is being underrated here.

No chance Kootenay misses the playoffs, nevermind finishing behind the Blades.

Cmon. There's being a homer and then there's unicorn talk.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
EC

Calgary
Brandon
Edmonton
Swift Current
Medicine Hat
Red Deer
Regina
Kootaney (assuming Reinhart is gone)
Prince Albert (assuming Draisaitl is gone)
Moose Jaw
Saskatoon
Lethbridge

WC

Kelowna
Portland
Seattle
Everett
Victoria
Tri City
Vancouver
Spokane
Kamloops
Prince George

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What a hard league to predict, but I'll give it a shot:

East

Brandon
Swift Current
Regina
Prince Albert
Saskatoon
Moose Jaw

Central

Calgary
Edmonton
Medicine Hat
Red Deer*
Kootenay*
Lethbridge

US

Seattle
Portland
Tri-City
Everett*
Spokane

BC

Kelowna
Victoria
Vancouver
Prince George*
Kamloops

* - WC

Last edited:

arsmaster*

I'm surprised at how much Vancouver and Victoria regressed.

Victoria lost a pretty significant group of players in Hodges, Walker and Nelson.

They are/were a blue collar group who score by committee.

------

Interested to hear where your allegiances lie with the remaining games to go.

Blazers vs Cougars for the final 3 games with a playoff spot on the line. As a BC resident, I'm hoping all three games go to OT.

The positive is that Tri-City has 2 games against Portland remaining, and Portland needs the wins for a division title. Couple that with Tri-City's 2-8 record in their last 10, I'm hopeful we'll get 4 BC division teams into the dance.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Victoria lost a pretty significant group of players in Hodges, Walker and Nelson.

They are/were a blue collar group who score by committee.

------

Interested to hear where your allegiances lie with the remaining games to go.

Blazers vs Cougars for the final 3 games with a playoff spot on the line. As a BC resident, I'm hoping all three games go to OT.

The positive is that Tri-City has 2 games against Portland remaining, and Portland needs the wins for a division title. Couple that with Tri-City's 2-8 record in their last 10, I'm hopeful we'll get 4 BC division teams into the dance.

As far as my allegiances, I would love to see playoff hockey live, so go PG.

Here is how i see it going. PG wins both games at home. 2nd one in overtime. (clinching 3rd place in the BC div.) Kamloops wins their home game (if my scenario holds true PG MAY rest some guys, not sure on that). TC doesn't win another game this year.

PG v VIC
KAM v KEL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
EAST
Winner: Brandon Wheat Kings
Darkhorse: Regina Pats

CENTRAL
Winner: Edmonton Oil Kings
Darkhorse: Red Deer Rebels [Not really a darkhorse team, but very tough division]

BC
Winner: Kelowna Rockets [Personally I think they're the best team in the dub]
Darkhorse: Victoria Royals

USA
Winner: Portland Winterhawks [If the Thunderbirds get consistency from the whole team, I honestly think they could challenge the WHs]
Darkhorse: Tri-City Americans [Actually building a solid grinding team filled with a lot of great two-way powerforwards]
Not bad if I say so myself. Relied too much on the Oil Kings, yes they lost a lot of talent, but I didn't think they would fall back that far.

I think Red Deer would be above Medicine Hat if they didn't start the season like they did and if Bleackley hasn't been injured the last 3 weeks.

I'm surprised at how much Vancouver and Victoria regressed.
Not understanding this Royals talk here, they're second in the BC division and in a pretty comfortable lead for the playoffs. They got a 15 point lead on Cougars and a 19 lead on the Blazers. I hope none of you guys thought they could have matched with Kelowna.

Vancouver though, you are right, that has been by far the most disappointment for the season. They have a team with better overall talent than the Cougars IMO and just bombed the whole season. I never bought the Payton Lee hype here that some posters were selling. Now they're probably going to lose Geertsen, Houck, Popoff, and Atwal all in the offseason. They have Benson which any team can build around, but that is some serious firepower and veteran leadership that is not coming back.

Hordichuk_24

Now they're probably going to lose Geertsen, Houck, Popoff, and Atwal all in the offseason.

The only guy on that list that might leave is Geertsen. But he still needs a contract from Colorado. And even if he does get signed I'm not 100% convinced he will be gone. It's ultimately up to the Avs. I don't believe Geertsen benefits riding the pine in the AHL rather than playing top minutes in junior working on the parts of his game that are now starting to grow. But NHL teams do it all the time. Push players into pro early. So right now I would say it's 50/50 on Geertsen returning.

Houck, Popoff and Atwal will absolutely be back unless the Giants decide to trade/release any of them. Houck won't be signed by Edmonton, Popoff and Atwal are undrafted. The only potential issue is all three of them (four if you include Geertsen) would be overagers. If Geertsen is out of the picture those three players would be solid overage candidates. If Geertsen does return, Atwal will be traded.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The only guy on that list that might leave is Geertsen. But he still needs a contract from Colorado. And even if he does get signed I'm not 100% convinced he will be gone. It's ultimately up to the Avs. I don't believe Geertsen benefits riding the pine in the AHL rather than playing top minutes in junior working on the parts of his game that are now starting to grow. But NHL teams do it all the time. Push players into pro early. So right now I would say it's 50/50 on Geertsen returning.

Houck, Popoff and Atwal will absolutely be back unless the Giants decide to trade/release any of them. Houck won't be signed by Edmonton, Popoff and Atwal are undrafted. The only potential issue is all three of them (four if you include Geertsen) would be overagers. If Geertsen is out of the picture those three players would be solid overage candidates. If Geertsen does return, Atwal will be traded.

I am so bad with birthdays, thanks for the correction. Yeah after this, I am pretty sure Popff and Atwal will be back.

Why do you think Houck will not sign with Oilers, or Oilers will not sign him? He's had a decent season even if his numbers regressed, if you put him on Kootenay or Portland, he would be great IMO. I am not in agreement with you concerning Geertsen, surprised that Avs haven't signed him to a contract, but if he is signed, he most definitely is gone. Avs and Lake Erie has had some horrible unfortunate injury lists this year, and Roy doesn't want this "type of season" again. He;s been mentioning Geertsen's name publicly on his Thursday radio show almost every other week when asked about prospects. I think he will play in the ECHL if he doesn't make it in the AHL next season. Just because you can call up and recall without having to emergency call him from Giants to play a couple AHL games (if that is even possible, it worked with Bartschi, but that was in the NHL).

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Not bad if I say so myself. Relied too much on the Oil Kings, yes they lost a lot of talent, but I didn't think they would fall back that far.

I think Red Deer would be above Medicine Hat if they didn't start the season like they did and if Bleackley hasn't been injured the last 3 weeks.

Not understanding this Royals talk here, they're second in the BC division and in a pretty comfortable lead for the playoffs. They got a 15 point lead on Cougars and a 19 lead on the Blazers. I hope none of you guys thought they could have matched with Kelowna.

Vancouver though, you are right, that has been by far the most disappointment for the season. They have a team with better overall talent than the Cougars IMO and just bombed the whole season. I never bought the Payton Lee hype here that some posters were selling. Now they're probably going to lose Geertsen, Houck, Popoff, and Atwal all in the offseason. They have Benson which any team can build around, but that is some serious firepower and veteran leadership that is not coming back.

They have 20 Points less than last year. I guess that is my point. I thought they would break, or at least get close to, 100 points again.

Hordichuk_24

Why do you think Houck will not sign with Oilers?

I can't say too much but trust me it isn't going to happen. I know from an inside source. Unless Oilers brass decides to do a 180 it isn't happening.

As a fan it's easy to see why Houck won't be signed. He is an inconsistent player. And he doesn't bring it often enough. If he has a productive overage season maybe another team will sign him as a free agent. That option always remains.

S E P H said:
I am not in agreement with you concerning Geertsen, surprised that Avs haven't signed him to a contract, but if he is signed, he most definitely is gone.

From what I understand there is a bit of conflict in Avs management regarding Geertsen. Some really like him others do not. Hence why he hasn't been signed just yet. It'll likely happen soon as ultimately they will lose his rights in the upcoming months prior to the draft if he isn't inked. Geertsen would be better off in the ECHL than the AHL if they plan on keeping him in pro. He needs the minutes to continue to round out his game. Which is why playing in the AHL would be a mistake, IMO. Unless he would be guaranteed top 4 minutes. And obviously nothing is guaranteed. But he needs that playing time. Physically he is without a doubt ready for pro. But there are certainly areas of his game that still need grooming.

I wasn't saying Geertsen will return to junior. I am saying until he receives that contract you can't bank on him playing pro next season. If/when he does get signed at that point I still consider it a toss up. There are pros and cons to either side. I always think it's better to keep players in junior rather than rush them to the pros. Unless they are absolutely dominant at the junior level. And clearly Geertsen is not in that boat.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't say too much but trust me it isn't going to happen. I know from an inside source. Unless Oilers brass decides to do a 180 it isn't happening.

As a fan it's easy to see why Houck won't be signed. He is an inconsistent player. And he doesn't bring it often enough. If he has a productive overage season maybe another team will sign him as a free agent. That option always remains.
Fair enough, in my own viewings, I always though Popoff was the better player, sad he didn't have a bit more growth spurt so his frame could grow into. He definitely has improved in the muscle department from the first time I've seen him, but still, it's like he's fighting against hurricane force winds out there at times. :laugh:

From what I understand there is a bit of conflict in Avs management regarding Geertsen. Some really like him others do not. Hence why he hasn't been signed just yet. It'll likely happen soon as ultimately they will lose his rights in the upcoming months prior to the draft if he isn't inked. Geertsen would be better off in the ECHL than the AHL if they plan on keeping him in pro. He needs the minutes to continue to round out his game. Which is why playing in the AHL would be a mistake, IMO. Unless he would be guaranteed top 4 minutes. And obviously nothing is guaranteed. But he needs that playing time. Physically he is without a doubt ready for pro. But there are certainly areas of his game that still need grooming.

I wasn't saying Geertsen will return to junior. I am saying until he receives that contract you can't bank on him playing pro next season. If/when he does get signed at that point I still consider it a toss up. There are pros and cons to either side. I always think it's better to keep players in junior rather than rush them to the pros. Unless they are absolutely dominant at the junior level. And clearly Geertsen is not in that boat.
I am not doubting your statement, but that is strange to hear from a player that has improved so much over his junior career. Personally speaking from an Avs fan point of view and a Dub follower, that would be a horrible mistake to let him go (his rights would probably be traded than just "let go"). I thought the reason they haven't sign him yet was due to him and his agent wanting more money for his ELC (perhaps including bonuses).

Though Roy has mentioned he wants big changes in the farm systems and prospect board, he wants the scouting team to focus on size and physicality than what our ex-Head Scout was drafting for (5'11" and under Canadian OHL centres). So Geertsen definitely fits that bill of what Roy wants. And I believe Roy gets what he wants. :laugh:

I think when Giants season ends, he's probably going to get a try-out with Lake Erie and see what goes from there (with the people who potentially "do not like him" getting to see him against men in a pro league).

They have 20 Points less than last year. I guess that is my point. I thought they would break, or at least get close to, 100 points again.
As Armaster said, they did lose some of their best veteran scoring talent so I am not surprised they are 20 points down, but it still a pretty much successful season from a neutral point of view. Then they should be the favourites to get out of the first round which is, again, should be looked as a successful stage.

Last edited:

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Fair enough, in my own viewings, I always though Popoff was the better player, sad he didn't have a bit more growth spurt so his frame could grow into. He definitely has improved in the muslce department from the first time I've seen him, but still, it's like he's fighting against hurricane force winds out there at times. :laugh:

I am not doubting your statement, but that is strange to hear from a player that has improved so much over his junior career. Personally speaking from an Avs fan point of view and a Dub follower, that would be a horrible mistake to let him go (his rights would probably be traded than just "let go"). I thought the reason they haven't sign him yet was due to him and his agent wanting more money for his ELC (perhaps including bonuses).

Though Roy has mentioned he wants big changes in the farm systems and prospect board, he wants the scouting team to focus on size and physicality than what our ex-Head Scout was drafting for (5'11" and under Canadian OHL centres). So Geertsen definitely fits that bill of what Roy wants.

I think when Giants season ends, he's probably going to get a try-out with Lake Erie and see what goes from there (with the people who potentially "do not like him" getting to see him against men in a pro league).

As Armaster said, they did lose some of their best veteran scoring talent so I am not surprised they are 20 points down, but it still a pretty much successful season from a neutral point of view. Then they should be the favourites to get out of the first round which is, again, should be looked as a successful stage.

Yea, when you put it that way, it sounds like a success.

Hordichuk_24

Fair enough, in my own viewings, I always though Popoff was the better player, sad he didn't have a bit more growth spurt so his frame could grow into. He definitely has improved in the muscle department from the first time I've seen him, but still, it's like he's fighting against hurricane force winds out there at times. :laugh:

I always thought Houck had more pro upside than Popoff. Popoff is your stereotypical good junior hockey player. Smaller player with skill but not suited for a pro career. Maybe overseas or at a very low level. But not a guy NHL teams are going to spend a lot of time looking at. Houck at his best could project as a potential power forward. But he is a very inconsistent player. Very streaky scorer and doesn't like to bring his physical game often enough. Plus he has had some off ice problems in the past. A drop off production wise for a 19 year old player isn't going to help his case either.

S E P H said:

I certainly cannot comment on the last part of your post. That could be a factor. But to my knowledge there was a bit of debate within the Colorado organization regarding Geertsen. Keep in mind up until this season Geertsen really didn't show a heck of a lot of growth as a player. He was decent defensively and physical but that's about all. Projected as a bottom pairing defenseman at best. Only this season has he shown a bit of offensive potential. He finally figured out how to keep his shot low. So now he can be used on the PP. His skating as improved and he is much more confident with the puck. I doubt he will ever be a scoring threat at the AHL or NHL level but if he continues to grow and improve you never know. Two years ago I would've never predicted he would have double digit goals at this level.

As for your comments about Roy I can confirm from what I heard he was certainly part of that debate. He was heavily involved along with a couple others. Some scouts and upper Colorado management. Seems many varying opinions on Geertsen. Based on his production this season I figured he would have been signed months ago. The fact he hasn't really solidifies what I was insinuating earlier, IMO. If everybody was on board Geertsen is already under contract. I do know a few other western conference NHL teams have inquired about him. But I have no idea if Colorado is even considering that option. One would think if they aren't going to sign him they would. So who knows. Maybe he ends up getting inked sooner rather than later.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Colorado is slow on signing prospects. They haven't even signed Bleackley yet. They didn't sign Bourke until the last few days in May last year. I'm sure they'd like to see him in the AHL on a test run first. But considering what they are playing right now in the AHL on the left side, they could certainly use Geertsen. Thanks for the heads up though, we'll keep a watchful eye on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad