Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XIII | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE | Pens targeting Kulemin, Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know what you are saying but I hope people realize how good Martin was for our team last year. Paul Martin has been our best defender since he was called out by Shero.

I am sure that Martin would resign with the Pens.

I am also sure that he wouldn't resign for a bargain price.

Would resigning him for four or five years more at at least the same cap hit as he gets now if not more be the best use of our cap space given what is developing and coming up? How good a chance is there really that we resign him?

Chicago is a team who knows when to cut ties with good players not because they are bad, but because they know how to build a team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The benefit of signing vanek is that he wouldn't have to be the main scorer like he was brought in to Montreal to be. I could see this like being a Gaborik situation where his numbers in the playoffs could sky rocket, but he'll probably want to much money.

The problem, in addition to money, is we just got our PP net front presence in Hornqvist. Vanek can obviously do more than that, but his strength is scoring goals in tight. I don't see that being a huge need for us anymore.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Call it a hunch, but I suspect Fleury will be dealt today. And if I had to guess, Brodeur will be signed.

But I don't want Brodeur. :cry:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Fleury was moved, a new regime without the attachment Shero had and a move towards being built for the playoffs. But then maybe JR really is impressed with him. :laugh:

Also, if he wants a raise for his next contract he can go **** himself, even the same caphit isn't something I would be okay with.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Would resigning him for four or five years more at at least the same cap hit as he gets now if not more be the best use of our cap space given what is developing and coming up? How good a chance is there really that we resign him?

Chicago is a team who knows when to cut ties with good players not because they are bad, but because they know how to build a team.

If Nisky ends up with something like 6 million for 7 years then Martin has to be worth at least 7 million on the open market, Martin wouldn't get the same term because of his age, but i think he could easily get a 3 year 21 million contract next year.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
OK, hypothetically speaking, if Colorado were to listen on ROR's RFA rights, how huge is the cost to us?

The Avs are going to need serious cash moving forward for Mac, EJ, Barrie, etc. I would think with them tying big money to Duchene, Landy, Varlamov this past year or so, it would make ROR a possible piece that could be moved. I just can't see them retaining him and Mac on big deals, especially when they're light on D.

I think the only way they even listen is if they are unwilling to pay him what he wants. If that is the case, they would want at least as much as his offer sheet at his asking price is, which is likely to be at least a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. I think that level of value will be the starting point. I like ROR, but paying that just for the right to then pay him 6M+ is not worth it in my mind. Their are more cost effective options out there either in FA or in trade.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
OK, hypothetically speaking, if Colorado were to listen on ROR's RFA rights, how huge is the cost to us?

The Avs are going to need serious cash moving forward for Mac, EJ, Barrie, etc. I would think with them tying big money to Duchene, Landy, Varlamov this past year or so, it would make ROR a possible piece that could be moved. I just can't see them retaining him and Mac on big deals, especially when they're light on D.

ROR is likely not going to be moved if they lose Stastny to free agency. However, Colorado seems pretty serious about their internal cost structure (not willing to pay anyone more than Duchene). If O'Reilly demands more than 6mil (Duchene's cap hit), I could see Colorado saying no and looking to move him. The cost would be pretty big though. If they lose Stastny, Sutter would be a nice piece for a 3C so they can run Duchene, Mackinnon, Sutter. The real centerpiece would have to be Maatta though.

So it would be Maatta, Sutter, maybe a small+

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Fleury at a higher price would make me shoot myself

I am teetering on the brink of fandom at the moment. Re-signing Fleury is one of the few things the Penguins could do to make sure I stop watching anything other than NBC broadcasts. Indefinitely. I get they may have to ride out his contract but re-signing him would be brutal, unless he takes a $2M pay cut or something and is willing to platoon with someone else like Reimer. Relying on him in the playoffs in the years ahead is a good way to ensure failure, ultimately.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Nisky ends up with something like 6 million for 7 years then Martin has to be worth at least 7 million on the open market, Martin wouldn't get the same term because of his age, but i think he could easily get a 3 year 21 million contract next year.

Well, that's not something I wanna give him unless the cap goes up significantly...so I'd hope JR talked to him and either has an extension laid out or a trade in the works

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

We are past the part where we let FAs go at the right time. Steelers did that, too, for awhile. I thought moving Orpik/Nisky last year would have been HUGE. It would have made so much sense. I also thought selling high on Dupers could have been a promising idea. But it didn't work out.

We are past that aspect. Now we have to rebuild, not in the full sense, but rebuild enough to get another cup.

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
The problem, in addition to money, is we just got our PP net front presence in Hornqvist. Vanek can obviously do more than that, but his strength is scoring goals in tight. I don't see that being a huge need for us anymore.
Never hurt to have more then one guy going to the net and scoring them dirty goals. I feel like we haven't seen them kind of goals in years

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I am teetering on the brink of fandom at the moment. Re-signing Fleury is one of the few things the Penguins could do to make sure I stop watching anything other than NBC broadcasts. Indefinitely. I get they may have to ride out his contract but re-signing him would be brutal, unless he takes a $2M pay cut or something and is willing to platoon with someone else like Reimer.

Resigning is a terrible idea...rather go with Reimer or Niemi

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Resigning is a terrible idea...rather go with Reimer or Niemi

Well yah, that's what I'm saying. The only way I could stomach it is if the Penguins come out and say "we're going with a 1A 1B model and Fleury took a pay cut and we signed another solid goalie to add to our G depth."

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Well yah, that's what I'm saying. The only way I could stomach it is if the Penguins come out and say "we're going with a 1A 1B model and Fleury took a pay cut and we signed another solid goalie to add to our G depth."

I think Flower is the type of guy who'd take a paycut, but he has a family to worry bout, yeah he'd make 3M, but he's probs racked up more debt than that so wouldn't blame him if he wanted money

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
ROR is not going to be moved if they lose Stastny to free agency. However, Colorado seems pretty serious about their internal cost structure (not willing to pay anyone more than Duchene). If O'Reilly demands more than 6mil (Duchene's cap hit), I could see Colorado saying no and looking to move him. The cost would be pretty big though. If they lose Stastny, Sutter would be a nice piece for a 3C so they can run Duchene, Mackinnon, Sutter. The real centerpiece would have to be Maatta though.

So it would be Maatta, Sutter, maybe a small+

Yeah, my thought process is that the Avs have already staked big money on F's (Landy, Duchene) and will have a guy who will command over 7M per (Mac) in a few years. I don't see how they can pay ROR the near 7M he'll command and still fill out a defense that will be Cup Winning worthy as well. It's simple math IMO. ROR, unless he's signing for less than Duchene won't really work for them long term....unless of course they plan on running a sub par D.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Which won't happen. He is a pretty decent regular season goaltender. Someone will pay him 5mil+ next off season.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
If you have the opportunity to trade Fleury, you ABSOLUTELY do it. Anything would be an upgrade over that guy..

Addition by subtraction.. And $5MM in cap savings. Win Win.

What could we get for him realistically and which teams could use his services? If we are going full blown rebuild it starts in net.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I am teetering on the brink of fandom at the moment. Re-signing Fleury is one of the few things the Penguins could do to make sure I stop watching anything other than NBC broadcasts. Indefinitely. I get they may have to ride out his contract but re-signing him would be brutal, unless he takes a $2M pay cut or something and is willing to platoon with someone else like Reimer. Relying on him in the playoffs in the years ahead is a good way to ensure failure, ultimately.

I doubt he would take the pay cut or a short contract, or platooning with someone. Imagine Fleury once his athleticism and reaction time start to really go. :help:

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Sooooo remember how many people wanted Shero gone at any cost, because there was no way we could possibly get anyone worse?? And now how many of them are up in arms about JR??

Yeah, same thing will happen with Fleury if we trade him for peanuts just to get rid of him and then end up with Reimer.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well, that's not something I wanna give him unless the cap goes up significantly...so I'd hope JR talked to him and either has an extension laid out or a trade in the works

I think the cap is suppose to go up next year to around 75 million once the new TV deal kicks in, i'd give Martin 3 years 21 million, hes been the pens best def, if your paying Letang over 7 million then Martin deserves at least 7 million per year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, my thought process is that the Avs have already staked big money on F's (Landy, Duchene) and will have a guy who will command over 7M per (Mac) in a few years. I don't see how they can pay ROR the near 7M he'll command and still fill out a defense that will be Cup Winning worthy as well. It's simple math IMO. ROR, unless he's signing for less than Duchene won't really work for them long term....unless of course they plan on running a sub par D.

The Avs have plenty of cap space. Their big money guys are making 5.5 and 6. Ours are making 9.5, 8.7, and 7.25. Cap space isn't the issue. The issue is their internal cost structure. If they believe O'Reilly is a lesser player than Duchene and he signed for 6mil, they want O'Reilly to make the same or less.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I think the cap is suppose to go up next year to around 75 million once the new TV deal kicks in, i'd give Martin 3 years 21 million, hes been the pens best def, if your paying Letang over 7 million then Martin deserves at least 7 million per year.

Well we aren't sure yet, how many thought it would be 71 this year...it's a risk...

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 3m
Calgary #Flames going all out to retain Mike Cammalleri, have made "several offers." Player's camp quiet this morning.

Looks like he might go to noon

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

And we should commit seven million per to Martin for several years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad