Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XIII | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE | Pens targeting Kulemin, Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Classic HF overreaction. It is not addition by subtraction. He let in a few soft goals this playoffs, but he was far from the problem.

I know what you're saying, but unfortunately he was not anywhere close to the solution either.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Vanek has sick hands around the net but I agree with those that say even he makes Neal look like a playoff warrior. He also kind of conflicts with Hornqvist since both are net front guys on the PP.

Xavier Laflamme*

If you have the opportunity to trade Fleury, you ABSOLUTELY do it. Anything would be an upgrade over that guy..

Addition by subtraction.. And $5MM in cap savings. Win Win.

I'm in total agreement. We've seen guys like Vokoun come in at half the cost and give us effective goaltending. I do it from a money stand point. Fleury has his ups and downs but if we can shed his $5 mil off the books and then sign a guy like Hiller and even save maybe only $1 mil I do it. Tristian Jary is about 2 years away so we don't have to get a guy on a long term deal. Just someone that can give us effective net time and keep the seat warm.

Wether that guy is available to us for the right price or not is a whole new question. But if you can swing it, do it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I know what you are saying but I hope people realize how good Martin was for our team last year. Paul Martin has been our best defender since he was called out by Shero.

I think the issue is having him walk like Nisky and Orpik. They can't afford to mismanage their assets and lose three top four blueliners in a span of a year.

Orpik and Nisky would of returned some nice assets, but now they are going to UFA and the Pens get nothing for them.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I know what you are saying but I hope people realize how good Martin was for our team last year. Paul Martin has been our best defender since he was called out by Shero.

Yeah, having Martin on the roster as our most consistent, reliable defenseman becomes even more important when he have so many young players. If JR wants to talk about positive influences and setting the right example, I think he has to look at re-signing Martin.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I still wish we'd make a run at O'Reilly. He'd be absolute gold on this team moving forward. Sign him to a long term contract in the 6.5-7M range. You can put him anywhere in the top 6, on either side of Sid/Geno. Obviously we'd have to part with a Letang or Martin+.....just for salary purposes......

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No to moving Martin. You should maximize your assets by trading away guys that are no longer critical to your team like Orpik last year. Shero wasn't willing to do that but I hope this regime is. Martin, however, is still the team's best dman. If we want to compete this year, which should be the goal, then we need to keep him around.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the issue is having him walk like Nisky and Orpik. They can't afford to mismanage their assets and lose three top four blueliners in a span of a year.

Orpik and Nisky would of returned some nice assets, but now they are going to UFA and the Pens get nothing for them.

Wasn't the one who started the Martin going to free agency talk Rossi?

I say you see where everything is at the TDL. If he wants to re-sign and the Pens want him, or they think they have a chance at a cup run with him, he stays. If he's not going to re-sign and they don't think there's a chance at a run or they think he isn't needed for it, then move him then.

If I had to guess it's wait and see for Martin and the Pens right now.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Not sure Hiller is worse. He can be a head case like Fleury but he has superior career regular season numbers and far better career postseason numbers.

Fleury
Regular Season GAA 2.62 Save% .910
Playoffs GAA 2.68 Save% .905

Hiller
Regular Season GAA 2.51 Save% .916
Playoffs GAA 2.29 Save% .932

Hiller's stats are pretty skewed though, thanks to a Halak-like 2009 playoffs (.943), then a three year gap, and then more realistic .916 and then .906 post seasons (short ones).

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
No to moving Martin. You should maximize your assets by trading away guys that are no longer critical to your team like Orpik last year. Shero wasn't willing to do that but I hope this regime is. Martin, however, is still the team's best dman. If we want to compete this year, which should be the goal, then we need to keep him around.

I agree that trading him sets our defense back. No doubt about it. The only flip side of the coin is losing him for nothing next summer. I simply don't think this team is good enough to challenge for a Cup this year, regardless of what we do. Fleury in net almost guarantees that. It's just the past 5 years rearing it's ugly head in that regard. Until we find a legit goalie who can not cost us multiple games come April/May/June, we're fighting an uphill battle. Just my .02

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So where does Paul Martin fit if we were to move him?

Detroit, Tampa, Anaheim, Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado, etc. Those are the playoff teams that would really want him but I'd imagine the majority of the league would come calling if JR wanted to move him. That said, we shouldn't move him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hiller's stats are pretty skewed though, thanks to a Halak-like 2009 playoffs (.943), then a three year gap, and then more realistic .916 and then .906 post seasons (short ones).
Understood but he still has never had a Fleury-esque run of 4 out of 5 years with of sub .900 playoff save percentage. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree that trading him sets our defense back. No doubt about it. The only flip side of the coin is losing him for nothing next summer. I simply don't think this team is good enough to challenge for a Cup this year, regardless of what we do. Fleury in net almost guarantees that. It's just the past 5 years rearing it's ugly head in that regard. Until we find a legit goalie who can not cost us multiple games come April/May/June, we're fighting an uphill battle. Just my .02

Fleury is a problem but Dan Bylsma was a problem too and he is gone. Let's see what the new regime can do. Identify the players that aren't crucial to your success (Scuderi, Fleury, maybe Duper) and look to move them. Paul Martin is too important to this team to move him unless you get a big return.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm hoping JR doesn't overspend today like lots of GM's do on this day, i don't want to see any 4 year contracts for bottom 6 forwards either.

If there was one player on my wish list it would be Leo Komarov, adding him to the lineup would instantly make the pens a harder team to play against.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Understood but he still has never had a Fleury-esque run of 4 out of 5 years with of sub .900 playoff save percentage. :laugh:

Yup I would take Hiller over Fleury for sure. I'd also take Niemi over him. Both give you cap savings. Hiller gives you that bridge contract before Jarry is ready and doesn't cost assets. If he is willing to sign a 2-3 year 4 mil or less deal, I would jump all over it.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
If you have the opportunity to trade Fleury, you ABSOLUTELY do it. Anything would be an upgrade over that guy..

Addition by subtraction.. And $5MM in cap savings. Win Win.

What could we get for him realistically and which teams could use his services? If we are going full blown rebuild it starts in net.

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
The benefit of signing vanek is that he wouldn't have to be the main scorer like he was brought in to Montreal to be. I could see this like being a Gaborik situation where his numbers in the playoffs could sky rocket, but he'll probably want to much money.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
OK, hypothetically speaking, if Colorado were to listen on ROR's RFA rights, how huge is the cost to us?

The Avs are going to need serious cash moving forward for Mac, EJ, Barrie, etc. I would think with them tying big money to Duchene, Landy, Varlamov this past year or so, it would make ROR a possible piece that could be moved. I just can't see them retaining him and Mac on big deals, especially when they're light on D.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I still wish we'd make a run at O'Reilly.

It's pretty clear at this point ROR is not available so you might as well stop talking about it as it's just wishful thinking. Might as well be saying "I wish we'd take a run at Corey Perry" like the good ole days. :laugh:

It's Stastny who will be cut loose in FA, if anyone among their F group. Nobody in the respectable media is talking about ROR; almost everyone is talking about Stastny being let go.

Doesn't mean it will happen but it's by far the more likely scenario seems like. I still can't believe they'd get rid of either one with teh space they have. It's like they finally rebuilt a competitive F corps, and now they're going to let it go when they don't have to. Maybe they have a self-imposed cap like the Ducks that is different than the normal cap.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
It's pretty clear at this point ROR is not available so you might as well stop talking about it as it's just wishful thinking. Might as well be saying "I wish we'd take a run at Corey Perry" like the good ole days. :laugh:

It's Stastny who will be cut loose in FA, if anyone among their F group. Nobody in the respectable media is talking about ROR; almost everyone is talking about Stastny being let go.

Smoke screen :sarcasm::naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad