Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XIII | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE | Pens targeting Kulemin, Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014
I'm all for maximizing assets with a Paul Martin trade but doing so without any replacement lined up would be a bad move. Which is why going after Ehrhoff makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they could have a deal in place conditional on finding a replacement.

I kind of look at it like the Pirates and Jason Grilli. They probably could have gotten a huge return last year and not lost any production because they had Melancon or Watson ready to step in. Who do we have ready to replace what Martin brings?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And we should commit seven million per to Martin for several years?

I said earlier i would do 3 years 21 million for Martin.

He will be 34 next year, but i think some def are able to play at a high level even when they get older, i think Martin will be one of those def that will still be playing at high level in his upper 30's.

Look at Boyle, he will be 38 and somebody is probably going to give him 2 years 10 million.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm all for maximizing assets with a Paul Martin trade but doing so without any replacement lined up would be a bad move. Which is why going after Ehrhoff makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they could have a deal in place conditional on finding a replacement.

I kind of look at it like the Pirates and Jason Grilli. They probably could have gotten a huge return last year and not lost any production because they had Melancon or Watson ready to step in. Who do we have ready to replace what Martin brings?

No and Ehrhoff doesn't bring what Martin brings anyway. I mean, I'm not necessarily opposed to it but the return for Martin would have to be huge. Given that he only has 1 year left on his contract, I'm not sure we would get back a return that makes the deal worth it. Trading Orpik last year for a 2nd or something made sense because we had several guys in house that could take those minutes and before as good or arguable better. Martin is still our best dman. It's just not worth it.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
If you have the opportunity to trade Fleury, you ABSOLUTELY do it. Anything would be an upgrade over that guy..

Addition by subtraction.. And $5MM in cap savings. Win Win.

Yeah, having Zatkoff as our starter is really appealing ... :shakehead

I'm not opposed to moving Fleury, but we have to have a solid replacement in place first. I like the idea of swapping Fleury and Niemi. I would be okay with signing Hiller as our starter (but I agree that he's no better than Fleury, and may even be a downgrade), but only for $4 million or less. I like the idea of him as a multi-year bridge to the young goalies.

We could then potentially execute a trade with the Jets (MAF + Sutter + ? for Kane + ?) and get the winger we need. We would still have to move out some spare parts for cap reasons in that case, tho.

But you cannot just dump MAF without a decent alternative lined up and secured (e.g., hoping to sign Hiller as an FA versus having him already signed).

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 35s
3 teams contacted Mathieu Perreault since the Ducks let him go yesterday.

Wouldn't mind him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2