Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XIX : 2015 - We WANT MOAR WINGERZZ!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If they are discussing that trade possibility, I just hope they don't get gun shy about the very very remote possibility they meet in the Finals.

Who? Regardless, both teams likely need said player to even get to the finals. If you're trading a quality player from E to W, you don't worry about what happens if you meet in the finals. Just getting to the finals is a long hard road, and quite the accomplishment. I get it when you're talking about trading within the division or within the conference (Martin playing a strong shutdown game for Tampa and them knocking us out would be brutal), but outside the conf, I couldn't really care. I mean if we did Martin/Williams, and Williams was a key player for us to get to the SCF and then we lost by 1 goal in game 7 where Martin was a rock, I could live with that. I mean it would suck... but if the alternative was that without Williams we didn't get to the SCF, I'll choose going and losing vs not going at all.

The deal was under the assumption that LA wouldn't do Martin for Williams. And how is trading for Hudler making us smaller while trading for Williams doesn't? They're both similar sizes, with Hudler being like 3 inches smaller and similar weight.

While being a better possession player, and having a MUCH better season that Williams.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Marcus Naslund did. He had 1 year and 5 or 6 mil left

He had also made significantly more money than Scuderi has over his career. This is only Scuderi's 2nd quality contract, and him giving up 5m (or 3.3m) would have a much larger impact (depending on how he lives) then Naslund giving up 5/6m.

His contract with LA was 4 years ~14m. Then there's this one, which was what... 12m? I don't think he made more than ~1m a contract prior to that. Him walking away from 5m would be huge.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I addressed that but saying pretty much the same.

I can't ever see a healthy player retiring with term still remaining on his contract.

Get him to retire and give him a front office job for 2 years / $5mil :P

For that matter, do the same with Adams. Give him a job as Geno's inflatable punching clown. You know those ones that you punch, they flop back and pop right back up? Seriously the image of that makes me chuckle :D

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
He had also made significantly more money than Scuderi has over his career. This is only Scuderi's 2nd quality contract, and him giving up 5m (or 3.3m) would have a much larger impact (depending on how he lives) then Naslund giving up 5/6m.

His contract with LA was 4 years ~14m. Then there's this one, which was what... 12m? I don't think he made more than ~1m a contract prior to that. Him walking away from 5m would be huge.

Completely agree. There is no way he is walking away from the contract. I also think he is tradable, which I know isn't a popular belief on this board

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My ideal scenario on the back end is moving both Martin and Scuds(combined 8.375M caphit) and bringing in a guy like Sekera (2.75M)

That leaves 5.625M for the forward coming in. Throw Spaling or Kunitz in any deals and its 7.85-9.475M.

Kunitz is becoming a moveable piece more and more for me cuz, for example, say you land another top 6 winger. That means Comeau or Bennett can move down where Kunitz is slotted right now on the 3rd line.

Considering the rumored price for Sekera (1st+good prospect), I'll pass.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Completely agree. There is no way he is walking away from the contract. I also think he is tradable, which I know isn't a popular belief on this board

I agree he's not tradable not because he's so bad, but because management and media fall in love with that hard-working, blue-collar, guides the young guys on the blue line story. He's engrained in our culture now. Barf, I can actually here somebody saying that.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Considering the rumored price for Sekera (1st+good prospect), I'll pass.

If the going rate for Sekera is a 1st & a good prospect the very least we should do at the deadline is flip Martin for that return and swap that prospect or pick for a rental forward.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I guess it comes down to value and the perspective you are sitting at.

If we lose Martin at the end of the year for nothing, there's literally ZERO value in that.
To go even further, if he keeps up his CURRENT level of play (read: crap, and not what he is so very capable of), Id say he offers equal value to getting even just a 2nd round pic.

If one believes that Martin can turn around his level of play and play like he did last season, then sure, he offers a ton of value. He played some lights out hockey last season.

But right now? Meh. With the way he's playing, I dont see much of a difference between him and Harrington/Despres. At all. So might as well trade him and turn that into something that can help the team more than he currently is .. which is not much.

Other than him playing as a top 4 D for the playoffs, and eating 20+ minutes a night that we don't have to disperse between Despres, Scuderi and Bortuzzo.

I'm not opposed to moving Martin... but I'm not going to trade him for a 2nd+3rd. That doesn't mean I wouldn't move him solely for futures, because I would - as long as we're getting a solid return on him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd really like to see somebody calculate the # of mistakes Despres makes per game over lets say... a 20 game sample, compared to Martin. Obviously it would be purely subjective based on the person calculating those mistakes, but I think people tend to see "veteran" and just assume they mess up less than somebody who's "young" without actually having any concrete facts to back that statement up.

I'd do it myself, but I don't have that kind of patience.

I don't think it's a matter of one being young and the other a vet. Despres still does make some rookie mistakes. Not as many as say Dumoulin, but more than Martin. That doesn't mean Martin doesn't make any either (that game in NY where Dumo played bad, Martin was almost, if not as bad). But he doesn't make the same mistakes Despres does, and honestly, they're not usually as bad/severe of a mistake. Martin is also just a little more polished in getting the puck out of the zone than Despres in the transition game.

Again, I'd still move Martin and promote Despres, because I think it's needed and makes sense (asset management, what Despres brings, what Martin can fetch, etc). But we need to realize that Despres isn't this defensive stud who never makes mistakes. That's all I'm saying.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Does anyone know of a new site similar to capgeek? I was going to try and calculate a lineup but I'm not sure if we could fit it in under the cap. Would this work?

Martin+Spaling for Williams
Dumoulin+2nd for Tlusty

Perron Sid Hornqvist
Tlusty Geno Williams
Kunitz Sutter Bennett
Comeau Goc Downie

Letang Harrington
Erhoff Maatta
Scuderi(bleh) Despres

Yes. You're moving out 7.7m in salary, and bring back something very similar (~6.5-7m in JW/Tlusty).

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
At this point with the log jam on the blueline, his unmovable contract, and his rancid play the best thing for the Pens might be for Scuderi to just retire after this season. I'm not worried anymore about trying to offload him for a bag of pucks. I just want to see him off the roster and the cap.

I know he'll never retired and forgo the rest of his contract, but I can always hope.

Probably the worst contract in the team's history.

It's a 35+ contract so even if he retires we still have to keep his cap hit (IIRC, can't check on capgeek).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's a 35+ contract so even if he retires we still have to keep his cap hit (IIRC, can't check on capgeek).

Was it a +35 contract (I can't remember). He just turned 36 in Dec. I think that means he was 34 in July of 2013 when it was signed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/rob-scuderi

However if it is (which I don't think so), then he wouldn't be tradeable, and would always count towards his teams cap (current team) should he retire.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You might be right, but I recall being relived that I saw on CapGeek that is wasn't listed as 35+. I might be wrong.

It's amazing how much information was derived from that glorious site. It will be missed greatly.

Agreed. But guaranteed that someone will take it back up. Might not have ALL the features CG did, but it will have many of them.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Agreed. But guaranteed that someone will take it back up. Might not have ALL the features CG did, but it will have many of them.

If I had the proper programming skills I would definitely try.

Hopefully someone does, maybe even get it started via KickStarter so I can contribute and get access to the ultra secret "Insider ArmChair GM" function

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes. You're moving out 7.7m in salary, and bring back something very similar (~6.5-7m in JW/Tlusty).

I'm not so sure. Those trades me we don't have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a deep draft. That 2nd should be conditional on him resigning. If not, we overpaid a lot.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If I had the proper programming skills I would definitely try.

Hopefully someone does, maybe even get it started via KickStarter so I can contribute and get access to the ultra secret "Insider ArmChair GM" function

I thought about it as well, however quickly realised I would be out of my depth. And honestly would really rather spend my free time pretending to work out, watching hockey, play BF4 or any number of other things that are more entertaining then learning enough to code up something similar to CG.

Realistically, I can't believe he just didn't sell the site to someone.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Phil Bourque just joined the ranks of the mostly clueless Pittsburgh Media. In 10 minutes with Savran:

"Paul Martin should be on the PP"
"Pens don't need another winger"
"Pens need another veteran defenseman!"

This is a guy who played in the League. I honestly don't know what to think anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad