Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XIX : 2015 - We WANT MOAR WINGERZZ!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
From the locked Williams thread:

I am in the 'trade Martin for picks, then package those picks++ for a winger' camp. So not a direct return. Value wise, I think Martin gets us HALF of our desired winger, indirectly (ie. in a seperate trade), if we find the right buyer for him.

Those picks++ are gonna cost us a long-term viable asset or two for a winger even close to, William's. I agree with premise, but we'll be losing more assets on top of losing Martin.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Those picks++ are gonna cost us a long-term viable asset or two for a winger even close to, William's. I agree with premise, but we'll be losing more assets on top of losing Martin.

Right, but this winger will (hopefully) be cost controlled long-term, and/or younger (and therefore, better for longer).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Right, but this winger will (hopefully) be cost controlled long-term, and/or younger (and therefore, better for longer).

But you're paying for that forward with already cost controlled assets plus Martin/2nd and 3rd.

Without having a winger in mind it's tough to gauge the assets going out plus those picks.

I doubt you will get much better, the longer part is conceivable.

But to get better for longer is is going to cost a Pouliot or Kapanen, or both plus the 2nd and 3rd or even higher.

Proven cost controlled assets are not cheap.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
But you're paying for that forward with already cost controlled assets plus Martin/2nd and 3rd.

Without having a winger in mind it's tough to gauge the assets going out plus those picks.

I doubt you will get much better, the longer part is conceivable.

But to get better for longer is is going to cost a Pouliot or Kapanen, or both plus the 2nd and 3rd or even higher.

Proven cost controlled assets are not cheap.

I meant stay at whatever level he's at for longer, rather than be better than Williams full stop. Still, it's true that a winger like that will not come cheap. As to who we are talking about, there are a lot of possibilites, from players like Mikkel Boedker down to guys like Alex Killorn.

If we are talking about guys at the level of MB, I'd definitely deal one of DePo/KK+ if that's what it took.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I meant stay at whatever level he's at for longer, rather than be better than Williams full stop. Still, it's true that a winger like that will not come cheap. As to who we are talking about, there are a lot of possibilites, from players like Mikkel Boedker down to guys like Alex Killorn.

If we are talking about guys at the level of MB, I'd definitely deal one of DePo/KK+ if that's what it took.

Would you give up a 1st, 2nd + Pouliot or Maatta + the trade for Martin for Boekder?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

For a player who's a pending RFA and will be a UFA after his next deal? I get that thats likely what he'd cost... but I have a very hard time stomaching that price tag. If he's willing to sign something longer term now (3+ years), then it makes it tolerable. However for someone who could just as easily sign a 1 year deal and walk, that would be a very steep price to pay.

That said, I do not see Arizona trading him, unless he's unwilling to sign a multi year deal.

Would you give up a 1st, 2nd + Pouliot or Maatta + the trade for Martin for Boekder?

For starters, Maatta and Pouliot do not have the same value. But no I wouldn't give a 1st, 2nd and DP for him. Let alone adding whatever we received in futures for trading Martin. Value wise a 1st, 2nd and DP is probably fair... but I don't think I could bring myself to trade DP for someone who doesn't have a lot of cost controlled years left, and doesn't have any term on their current deal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
For a player who's a pending RFA and will be a UFA after his next deal? I get that thats likely what he'd cost... but I have a very hard time stomaching that price tag. If he's willing to sign something longer term now (3+ years), then it makes it tolerable. However for someone who could just as easily sign a 1 year deal and walk, that would be a very steep price to pay.

That said, I do not see Arizona trading him, unless he's unwilling to sign a multi year deal.

For starters, Maatta and Pouliot do not have the same value. But no I wouldn't give a 1st, 2nd and DP for him. Let alone adding whatever we received in futures for trading Martin. Value wise a 1st, 2nd and DP is probably fair... but I don't think I could bring myself to trade DP for someone who doesn't have a lot of cost controlled years left, and doesn't have any term on their current deal.

I miss CapGeek but NHLnumbers has him as a UFA after this season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would do Sutter + Harrington for Boedker and a not so significant +.

Or...

Spaling, Sutter, + Harrington for Boedker, Vermette and a pick or prospect throw in. Nothing less than a 3rd round pick for the pick.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Yeah I'd do it because we'd have him for multiple seasons, and probably have enough time to show him how good he has it here compared to his time with the Coyotes.

Neither do I, unfortunately.

Absolutely not.

Michael8771*

Or...

Spaling, Sutter, + Harrington for Boedker, Vermette and a pick or prospect throw in. Nothing less than a 3rd round pick for the pick.
I would do the second deal, absolutely!

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Or...

So you'd so Sutter and Harrington for Boedker and a small add-on

or

The same deal but with Spalding for Vermette + pick/prospect?

You do realize that the add on part for Vermette is laughably low?

The Boedker deal isn't as laughably low, but it's still bad for Arizona. Can get a lot more without adding anything on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Or...

Neither of these trades are going to get us Boedker. Boedker is the lynch pin of a team with no offense. He is literally the only young kid on that team that has any amount of offensive talent. The only way you get him that cheap is if he asks out.

Riptide said:

We don't have a 1st. Martin is swung for the first. Then we repackage it with Maatta or we package Pouliot with the 1st, and our 2nd. Those are the types of packages you are going to need to offer Arizona something that makes them trade their only young prospect with offense that has translated into the NHL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So you'd so Sutter and Harrington for Boedker and a small add-on

or

The same deal but with Spalding for Vermette + pick/prospect?

You do realize that the add on part for Vermette is laughably low?

The Boedker deal isn't as laughably low, but it's still bad for Arizona. Can get a lot more without adding anything on.

Vermette is going to get them at least a Perron package. I would argue that Vermette in most situations is the more useful player, outside of our situation since we are stacked at center.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I miss CapGeek but NHLnumbers has him as a UFA after this season.

Brodeker is a pending RFA after this year. However he will be a UFA after his next contract - whether he signs a 1 year deal or a 5 year deal. I had this same discussion a while ago when discussing him in one of these threads.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
For those wondering who originally started any speculation about a Martin/Williams swap, I dug up a couple tweets I remembered reading back in July from Colligan.

https://twitter.com/MikeColligan

@MikeColligan · Jul 1
#LAKings potential landing spot for Paul Martin if he moves; Kings offered more money than Pens 4 years ago when Martin signed in Pittsburgh

@MikeColligan Jul 1
Would not be surprised to see #Pens move Paul Martin if teams miss out on top FA dmen or Pens land one; teams have expressed interest in him

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah I'd do it because we'd have him for multiple seasons, and probably have enough time to show him how good he has it here compared to his time with the Coyotes.

There's no guarantee of that. The only guarantee you have is that he's here for this year (obviously) and next season. Anything after that is dependent on what he signs this summer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There's no guarantee of that. The only guarantee you have is that he's here for this year (obviously) and next season. Anything after that is dependent on what he signs this summer.

Boedker would stay here. He has taken low ball deals from a franchise that is essentially on its way out. If he is willing to let Arizona low ball him, he'd easily take a four or five year deal at five million to play with Malkin.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Boedker would stay here. He has taken low ball deals from a franchise that is essentially on its way out. If he is willing to let Arizona low ball him, he'd easily take a four or five year deal at five million to play with Malkin.

While in theory, I tend to agree with you here... that's still an assumption. He could just as easily decide to test FA at the end of next season, after signing a 1 yr deal this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad