Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XII : All I want for Christmas is WINGERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Man… so they tank for years to get the best players 3 years in a row. Then they figure they'll be rebuilt with a top six of number one drafts.

I wonder if their "5 year tank to rebuild" was their best option lol.

If you told me ANY team could have the top picks year after year, yet they'd still be the worst team in the league, I'd call you crazy.

Wonder what their next rebuild will be structured like...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
What does it matter when the player is moved? They moved a significant roster player, period. You said contenders don't do that. The salary cap is always a factor. Otherwise, teams would field 30 player rosters and never move vets.

Its very apparent you completely missed my point. I never said contenders NEVER move roster players. I said they don't move them just to maximize asset management.

But you can keep making strawmen if that's what your in to.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
See, I happen to think players are greedy ******** more than you guys. And there was a report that came out not too long ago that suggested the province of Alberta's two teams are the best hockey markets in terms of tax rate in the NHL now.

I think a number of players will start to consider Alberta more and more, and perhaps even revise their NTC/NMC.

just one man's opinion.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Its very apparent you completely missed my point. I never said contenders NEVER move roster players. I said they don't move them just to maximize asset management.

But you can keep making strawmen if that's what your in to.

Contenders also never continuously draft only one position in Round 1, thereby leaving a crater-sized hole on the wings.

And yet we did...and are still contenders.

So personally, I could give a crap about what the other teams are doing to build their contending club. Every team has unique issues they face.

The lack of wings/ridiculous surplus of quality defensemen is ours.

Michael8771*

Man… so they tank for years to get the best players 3 years in a row. Then they figure they'll be rebuilt with a top six of number one drafts.

I wonder if their "5 year tank to rebuild" was their best option lol.

If you told me ANY team could have the top picks year after year, yet they'd still be the worst team in the league, I'd call you crazy.

Wonder what their next rebuild will be structured like...
They've had their chances to turn it around as you suggested with top picks year after year. And frankly at this point they DON'T deserve a shot at Eichel or Mcdavid! That said the way they are playing My money is on them to get a top two pick. I was hoping for Buffalo to get the top pick. Let another team get a shot at a generational talent.

Michael8771*

I think Palmieri is falling out of favor in Anaheim. He got less than 10 minutes last night. I think we could get him for Dumoulin straight up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
See, I happen to think players are greedy ******** more than you guys. And there was a report that came out not too long ago that suggested the province of Alberta's two teams are the best hockey markets in terms of tax rate in the NHL now.

I think a number of players will start to consider Alberta more and more, and perhaps even revise their NTC/NMC.

just one man's opinion.

I think that depends on just how bad the environment is. People can be bought, but I think it takes a lot for the Oilers to buy them, I just don't know how much.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, it's better, but he's slowing down himself. I think he had 12 points his first eight games or so.

Well yeah he doesn't create, Sid seems to be off too, plus it's basically a 2 player line since there's literally nothing on that LW

Michael8771*

Well yeah he doesn't create, Sid seems to be off too, plus it's basically a 2 player line since there's literally nothing on that LW
If you have Sidney Crosby as your center, or Malkin or Kopitar or Tavares that should be more than enough for you to produce. I don't buy that argument for a second, regardless of who's the other winger. That said five points in seven games for Horny isn't bad.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
They've had their chances to turn it around as you suggested with top picks year after year. And frankly at this point they DON'T deserve a shot at Eichel or Mcdavid! That said the way they are playing My money is on them to get a top two pick. I was hoping for Buffalo to get the top pick. Let another team get a shot at a generational talent.

I don't disagree with you but I think the sooner we all come to grips with the fact that the Oilers will be drafting first overall again the less upset we'll be when it actually happens. :laugh:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Penguins situation was that they had no money. They were literally poor and it led to all the nonsense in the early 2000's.

They got lucky in getting 2 can't miss talents, but they more than managed to make it work.

Oilers are an incestuous, old boys network gong show and deserve to be exactly where they are.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

just one man's opinion.

Money only goes so far. After that you run into Pronger problems. Not alleged infidelity, but that the significant other doesn't want to live a few hundred miles from a Tundra, and don't much care what it costs to avoid that.

As far as taxes are concerned, it's impossible to beat the Florida teams when it comes to those. Even if money is the #1 thing for a player, they still bank more a lot closer to the equator. Easy choice between the Cats and Oilers.

Michael8771*

i should clarify, by criticize, i am referring to people saying the oilers dont "deserve" the first overall pick again.

that seems extremely hypocritical to me.
Is that right? Well, if you want to compare PIT's situation from years ago, let's be clear. We got MAF 1st overall but we traded up to get him. in 04 we had the worst record in the league an ended up getting Malkin 2hd overall after losing the lottery. There was no 04-05 season but we won the lottery and got Crosby. We then got 2hd overall in 06 and took Staal, and keep in mind Malkin wasn't here yet. So we didn't have his services in 05-06. Two years later we went to the cup finals and the following year we won the cup. So with all that said, how do you derive any element of hypocrisy from my statement?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Penguins situation was that they had no money. They were literally poor and it led to all the nonsense in the early 2000's.

They got lucky in getting 2 can't miss talents, but they more than managed to make it work.

Oilers are an incestuous, old boys network gong show and deserve to be exactly where they are.

That Caps fan thinks the Penguins are the same thing. :shakehead

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
i should clarify, by criticize, i am referring to people saying the oilers dont "deserve" the first overall pick again.

that seems extremely hypocritical to me.

I don't know about "deserve" or not. But I think we're getting to the point where they are just about out of excuses. The league is more forgiving these days then it was pre-cap. And AFAIK, the Oilers have never had major issues with money. Whatever is going on there is based around mismanagement... not being down on their luck and not having the means to do anything about it.

I would argue that they have also had better overall draft position/more chances during their "Dark Times" than the Penguins did, too. I'll just go with top ten picks during their respective streaks of ineptitude. The Penguins drafted Whitney (5th overall), Fleury (1st overall), Malkin (2nd overall), Crosby (1st overall) and Staal (2nd overall). I'll even toss in Pouliot (8th overall) even if he probably should not count for the sake of this discussion.

The Oilers nabbed Gagner (6th overall), MPS (10th overall), Hall (1st overall), RNH (1st overall), Yak (1st overall), Nurse (7th overall) and Draisaitl (3rd overall). And look to be well on their way to another lottery pick, this year. In a really good draft. Eberle is in there, too but I did not count him as he was picked at 22nd overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad