Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI : Yeah still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

For the people who wanted Jagr, I was bored so I looked at some of his stats since his comeback. Since coming back to the NHL, Jagr has had 171 points in 224 games (.763 PPG, 63 point pace) in the regular season, which is really good for a player above 40. That's 1st line winger numbers. In the playoffs, he has 18 points in 33 games (.545 PPG, 45 point pace), which is still okay, but it's still not that good. However, one of those playoff series was the Pens-Flyers ultra scoring series where 56 goals were scored in 6 games (over 9 goals/game), and he had a goal and 7 points in that series. Without that series, he has 11 points (and no goals) in 27 playoff games (.407 PPG, 33 point pace). That's a major red flag for any team that wants to trade for him. His play style isn't suited for the playoffs, and his production there has been drastically lower since his comeback. Trading anything of value for him would be a bad idea, because we'd certainly be paying the price of him in the regular season, not him in the playoffs.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
A team that could be interested in Scuderi could be Anaheim. They were familiar with him in LA and they don't mind taking on veterans and need more of a veteran defensive presence on the backend with Beauchemin always being hurt.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
For the people who wanted Jagr, I was bored so I looked at some of his stats since his comeback. Since coming back to the NHL, Jagr has had 171 points in 224 games (.763 PPG, 63 point pace) in the regular season, which is really good for a player above 40. That's 1st line winger numbers. In the playoffs, he has 18 points in 33 games (.545 PPG, 45 point pace), which is still okay, but it's still not that good. However, one of those playoff series was the Pens-Flyers ultra scoring series where 56 goals were scored in 6 games (over 9 goals/game), and he had a goal and 7 points in that series. Without that series, he has 11 points (and no goals) in 27 playoff games (.407 PPG, 33 point pace). That's a major red flag for any team that wants to trade for him. His play style isn't suited for the playoffs, and his production there has been drastically lower since his comeback. Trading anything of value for him would be a bad idea, because we'd certainly be paying the price of him in the regular season, not him in the playoffs.

Random aside, but what's with terms I keep seeing like "compete" and "play style?" How about "competitiveness" and "playing style?"

Anyway, I disagree with you. The only thing Jagr's lost is his speed. If we could find a way to plug him into a role that didn't require him to be a burner, I'd love to have him. Your statistical analysis of his playoff performance is dubious. It's the same kind of thing people post about Crosby: "yeah, but if you take out games where his team performed well, his numbers look way more pedestrian." Well, no ****. I'll take a guy who can reliably put up 0.5+ PPG in the playoffs (and that's absent a guy like Crosby/Malkin) over our misfit group of top 6 forwards.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Don't forget when doing statistical projection remember, its likely a guy with decent stats is going to have limited PP time here. you have to factor in the 5X5 stats moreso than the overall stats when looking at the top 5 wingers. That is also how you can find an underutilized steal... adjust stats for even strength Ice time.... then factor in overall linemate talent...

penguins2946*

Random aside, but what's with terms I keep seeing like "compete" and "play style?" How about "competitiveness" and "playing style?"

Anyway, I disagree with you. The only thing Jagr's lost is his speed. If we could find a way to plug him into a role that didn't require him to be a burner, I'd love to have him. Your statistical analysis of his playoff performance is dubious. It's the same kind of thing people post about Crosby: "yeah, but if you take out games where his team performed well, his numbers look way more pedestrian." Well, no ****. I'll take a guy who can reliably put up 0.5+ PPG in the playoffs (and that's absent a guy like Crosby/Malkin) over our misfit group of top 6 forwards.

I'm taking out the games that had a historically high scoring. That series averaged over 9 goals/game, and the Flyers averaged 5 goals/game. Without that crazy series, he has produced almost nothing in the playoffs. He got shut down against the Devils (1 point in 5 games), Rangers (0 points in 5 games) and Hawks (3 points in 6 games). He only had over a .5 PPG against the Pens twice (10 points in 10 games) and Leafs (4 points in 7 games). If we're paying the price that the Devils will want (probably a conditional 1st), he needs to be around his regular season totals, not playoff totals. He hasn't been good in the playoffs in recent years, outside of that crazy Pens-Flyers series. Even including that series, he still hasn't been very good. He has 1 goal in 33 games, which is horrendous.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I'm taking out the games that had a historically high scoring. That series averaged over 9 goals/game, and the Flyers averaged 5 goals/game. Without that crazy series, he has produced almost nothing in the playoffs. He got shut down against the Devils (1 point in 5 games), Rangers (0 points in 5 games) and Hawks (3 points in 6 games). He only had over a .5 PPG against the Pens twice (10 points in 10 games) and Leafs (4 points in 7 games). If we're paying the price that the Devils will want (probably a conditional 1st), he needs to be around his regular season totals, not playoff totals. He hasn't been good in the playoffs in recent years, outside of that crazy Pens-Flyers series. Even including that series, he still hasn't been very good. He has 1 goal in 33 games, which is horrendous.

I doubt either of us will change the other's mind. You're turned off by his recent flame outs in the POs - totally understandable. I think somebody with Jagr's hockey IQ and (albeit deteriorated) skills would be a huge boon to Crosby or Malkin.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
There's also the mental factor. Would Jagr turn it on if he got to go on a playoff run in Pittsburgh again? Possibly. You'd have to imagine that he'd be motivated to succeed and win one more Cup here.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
So anyone want size to the 4th line? Jesse Joensuu is on waivers. 6'4 and 210 lbs. Much more skilled than Zach Sill. Hasn't done much at all in NHL so far in his career but still wouldn't be any worse than our current 4th line wingers.

penguins2946*

So anyone want size to the 4th line? Jesse Joensuu is on waivers. 6'4 and 210 lbs. Much more skilled than Zach Sill. Hasn't done much at all in NHL so far in his career but still wouldn't be any worse than our current 4th line wingers.

I feel like that's just Pyatt 2.0 in all honesty. With a healthy roster, neither Sill nor Adams would be there, so I don't really see a point.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I feel like that's just Pyatt 2.0 in all honesty. With a healthy roster, neither Sill nor Adams would be there, so I don't really see a point.

Probably the case. In the mean time would be nice to have other options than Sill, Adams or Ebbett though. Oh well...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What I like about Jagr; dude can still shoot, take a pass, give a pass, stick handle, protect the puck low, draw defenseman over...but most importantly...Jagr KNOWS how to play with talent. He can play with superstar players. He is a guy Sid or Geno could fed off of and vice versa. A tweener/top 6 will have to develop chemistry to be successful...that happens much much quicker with Jagr.

Now am I saying we are one Jagr away from a cup? No. We need one more of we go with Jagr. Ideally Tlusty. Tlusty now, Jagr at the deadline.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Tlusty-Malkin-Jagr
Downie-Sutter-Bennett/Megna
Comeau-Goc-Spaling

Yes, that is depth. I would even support (based on current play):

Tlusty-Sid-Horn
Comeau-Geno-Jags
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett/Downie
Downie-Goc-Spaling

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
2) Several reports from FLA this week about potential UFAs being available, but hearing there is interest in Boyes. Wonder if a fit in PIT.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
3) VAN guarded on Hamhuis injury (groin?), but hearing he will be re-evaluated in two weeks and he may hold off on surgery.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
4) Other teams saying that EDM/PHI being careful, not make a move that hurts them long-term.

Brad Boyes has been rumored to the Pens since the day I started posting here. Back then it made sense. I do not see him as a viable option here at this point, and doesn't really make us that much better.

This might of been answered in here already but not sure so i'm going to ask anyway. What would it most likely cost to acquire Tlusty? Watching him play last night and tonight i feel like he would be a great fit with Malkin. Free agent next year and making less than 3mil i believe. What do you guys think?

I have never been a Tlusty fan. He's a good player, but there's just something missing with him.

There's also the mental factor. Would Jagr turn it on if he got to go on a playoff run in Pittsburgh again? Possibly. You'd have to imagine that he'd be motivated to succeed and win one more Cup here.

Jagr rises when he is relied upon. If he isn't getting top forward mins, primo PP time, and working the position on the unit he wants, you're not going to get the most out of him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jagr would be like getting Iginla all over again. He's just not going to be a factor in a playoff run anymore AND he'd only be here for 1 playoff run.

If the cost was very very low though, i'd do it but it won't be.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Jagr might be a nostalgic move, but if he comes at the right price it could be a great move for us. Maybe a deal around Dumo for him? I don't think Dumo has a future with the Pens and I think we would be best off trading him.

penguins2946*

Jagr might be a nostalgic move, but if he comes at the right price it could be a great move for us. Maybe a deal around Dumo for him? I don't think Dumo has a future with the Pens and I think we would be best off trading him.

I'd rather just move Dumoulin for a rental like Glencross, Tlusty or Foligno.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Yes, that is depth. I would even support (based on current play):

Tlusty-Sid-Horn
Comeau-Geno-Jags
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett/Downie
Downie-Goc-Spaling
I'm a fan of this lineup, for sure.
  • The first line is all speed. If Crosby is on the attack and Hornqvist plays as relentlessly as we know he can, Tlusty should get plenty of opportunities to bury.
  • I don't see any reason why Malkin, Jagr, and Comeau can't hold onto the puck and dominate possession. For pete's sake, Malkin and Comeau were able to dominate possession on their own last night.
  • That's a potent third scoring line. The combination of Sutter, a two-way sniper, Bennett, a playmaker, and Kunitz, who should pretty much just go to the net and the corners on this line, would be great depth during a playoff run.
  • Playing on the third line might light a fire under Kunitz's rear end. Not only would he bring it during the playoffs, but he'd remember losing his spot in 2015-16.
  • The fourth line would operate as the checking line for this squad. They can play shutdown hockey, with Downie getting in the face of the likes of Tavares on the NYI, Ovechkin on WAS, Stamkos on Tampa, and Toews / Kane on CHI. Switch Spaling and Downie to their natural sides.

I'd like to see the Pens pick up some injury insurance depth for both the top-six and the bottom-six. You could argue that Megna would be fine for the latter, but I don't think he's ready to slot in if a guy like Hornqvist, Tlusty, or Jagr goes down. If Danny Briere is available on the cheap (low-end prospect, conditional pick, etc.), I think he'd be a great insurance guy (nothing more).

Going into the playoffs, the team would be running the following d-pairings, wouldn't they?
Martin - Letang
Maatta - Ehrhoff
Scuderi - Despres

Here, you'll see five puck-moving d-men who can really boost our three scoring lines' capacity to move and shoot the puck. If there's a taker for Scuderi, you can send him away. However, this is a guy who has elevated his game during the playoffs in the past.

Our depth d-man would be Bortuzzo. It might be a smart idea to get Harrington some reps just in case two d-men go down.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I'm a fan of this lineup, for sure.
  • The first line is all speed. If Crosby is on the attack and Hornqvist plays as relentlessly as we know he can, Tlusty should get plenty of opportunities to bury.
  • I don't see any reason why Malkin, Jagr, and Comeau can't hold onto the puck and dominate possession. For pete's sake, Malkin and Comeau were able to dominate possession on their own last night.
  • That's a potent third scoring line. The combination of Sutter, a two-way sniper, Bennett, a playmaker, and Kunitz, who should pretty much just go to the net and the corners on this line, would be great depth during a playoff run.
  • Playing on the third line might light a fire under Kunitz's rear end. Not only would he bring it during the playoffs, but he'd remember losing his spot in 2015-16.
  • The fourth line would operate as the checking line for this squad. They can play shutdown hockey, with Downie getting in the face of the likes of Tavares on the NYI, Ovechkin on WAS, Stamkos on Tampa, and Toews / Kane on CHI. Switch Spaling and Downie to their natural sides.

I'd like to see the Pens pick up some injury insurance depth for both the top-six and the bottom-six. You could argue that Megna would be fine for the latter, but I don't think he's ready to slot in if a guy like Hornqvist, Tlusty, or Jagr goes down. If Danny Briere is available on the cheap (low-end prospect, conditional pick, etc.), I think he'd be a great insurance guy (nothing more).

Going into the playoffs, the team would be running the following d-pairings, wouldn't they?
Martin - Letang
Maatta - Ehrhoff
Scuderi - Despres

Here, you'll see five puck-moving d-men who can really boost our three scoring lines' capacity to move and shoot the puck. If there's a taker for Scuderi, you can send him away. However, this is a guy who has elevated his game during the playoffs in the past.

Our depth d-man would be Bortuzzo. It might be a smart idea to get Harrington some reps just in case two d-men go down.

I want Danny Briere, he isn't playing much, he's a proven clutch playoff player, he'll be great to rotate throughout the lineup and he can run our 2nd PP for whatever amount of time its on for. He's quick too, so that helps

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bobrovsky looks like **** this year, and with their injuries to key players earlier this season, Columbus may be out of it soon even in our weak ass division.

Nick Foligno is just about the perfect addition to this team that won't cost a ridiculous amount. Skilled, big, fast, mean. And young enough to be a longterm solution if we choose to re-sign him.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Bobrovsky looks like **** this year, and with their injuries to key players earlier this season, Columbus may be out of it soon even in our weak ass division.

Nick Foligno is just about the perfect addition to this team that won't cost a ridiculous amount. Skilled, big, fast, mean. And young enough to be a longterm solution if we choose to re-sign him.

He's a PPG player....he won't be cheap

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's a pending UFA. He's not going to cost you a top prospect and/or a roster player we can't afford to lose. I think he could be an impact player without costing us the price of a Kane, Wheeler, ROR, etc.

It'd probably be more difficult to get him re-signed on a decent contract than acquire him if Columbus looks to move him. He's having a great year, and he'd be wise to go to free agency. Some team would throw 6+ mil at him.

penguins2946*

How about this:

Martin and a conditional 2016 pick to Montreal for Parenteau and a 2015 1st (rumored deal at the draft with a conditional pick if he re-signs)
Our 1st to Columbus for Foligno or Tlusty

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Foligno/Tlusty-Malkin-Parenteau

Not bad IMO.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
He's a pending UFA. He's not going to cost you a top prospect and/or a roster player we can't afford to lose. I think he could be an impact player without costing us the price of a Kane, Wheeler, ROR, etc.

It'd probably be more difficult to get him re-signed on a decent contract than acquire him if Columbus looks to move him. He's having a great year, and he'd be wise to go to free agency. Some team would throw 6+ mil at him.

Resigning him would be a *****....but yeah he would be expensive but he would cost us something like the below deal

How about this:

Martin and a conditional 2016 pick to Montreal for Parenteau and a 2015 1st (rumored deal at the draft with a conditional pick if he re-signs)
Our 1st to Columbus for Foligno or Tlusty

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Foligno/Tlusty-Malkin-Parenteau

Not bad IMO.

The Avs suck, they won't trade their 1st, highly doubt it anyways. And that first is risky especially cause both of them would see a huge explosion in their stats and would command 5+M and I don't want to lose a 1st for a rental

penguins2946*

The Avs suck, they won't trade their 1st, highly doubt it anyways. And that first is risky especially cause both of them would see a huge explosion in their stats and would command 5+M and I don't want to lose a 1st for a rental

Parenteau plays for Montreal now, not Colorado. I still don't think Tlusty or Foligno will command over $5 million, I see them topping out at $4.5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad