Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread VII | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So no to Pouliot/Harrington - players who've proven nothing at the NHL level... but yes to Despres, someone who's proven he can play here, and look good doing it, who's still young, and easily has top 4 potential.

I can see saying no to Pouliot (I don't want to move him at all for almost anything) due to his unique skillset within the org. But Harrington? I'd move him in a heartbeat if it brought back a young winger with upside.

If the cap isn't going up next year, our first two options should be moving Martin and Scuds or at the very least one of them. We've got young D out the ass beating the door down with Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot. Not to mention, with Maatta back in the lineup we have no room for Borts except the box.

Harrington would be a tough chip to lose. He's a noted leader for a younger guy. He's in that mold of Maatta in that you can throw him in any situation and trust him on the ice. Pouliot has more natural talent and high end capability but I won't be surprised if Harrington has just as much impact on the game or more than DP.

If JR is willing to deal Martin to a contender I think he can get a solid young wing prospect back. The issue is we still need depth in the top 6 to play for us this year. There aren't too many young guys in the league we can acquire that can walk in and play in our top 6 to help us out this year.

Last edited:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Yea, Letang at peak value would have and could have been the dynamic shift the team needed.

I can see where a GM would be torn about that at the time. It's easy for us to say this now but at the time, Letang was the most dynamic D in the league that year. If he played the entire year, he wins the Norris.

Letang at that time probably could've pulled in some insane deals. Regardless of what some of the fans on the main board think, Letang can pull some major talent in a deal if we traded him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
A Philadelphia writer (forget who, not that even one of them is reliable) claimed there was a deal lined up to move Letang for Voracek AND Simmonds around the time of his contract extension.

Would have been a Hell of a trade, if true, (Kunitz-Crosby-Voracek, Simmonds-Malkin-Neal) but we'll never know if it was bull**** or not, unless Shero or Holmgren write a memoir someday (doubtful).

Never would happen now, but at the time, Letang was a Norris runner-up, Simmonds was a one-off overachiever, Voracek was perhaps perceived to be a leech and Schenn was supposed to be the next big thing (instead of the afterthought in a Richards for Simmonds deal, which is how that trade will be remembered), so it would have made at least a degree of sense for the Flyers. None of those perceptions really match two years out.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Simmonds-Malkin-Voracek
BB-Sutter-Dupuis

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'd really hate to see Letang on the Flyers though. Coburn - Letang would be a killer pairing and Letang is pretty much the only thing they've needed since they lost Pronger.

If you can manufacture even the slightest dismay at the notion of a Letang for Voracek and Simmonds trade, we are even further apart on virtually every issue than I thought :laugh: .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A Philadelphia writer (forget who, not that even one of them is reliable) claimed there was a deal lined up to move Letang for Voracek AND Simmonds around the time of his contract extension.

Would have been a Hell of a trade, if true, (Kunitz-Crosby-Voracek, Simmonds-Malkin-Neal) but we'll never know if it was bull**** or not, unless Shero or Holmgren write a memoir someday (doubtful).

Never would happen now, but at the time, Letang was a Norris runner-up, Simmonds was a one-off overachiever, Voracek was perhaps perceived to be a leech and Schenn was supposed to be the next big thing (instead of the afterthought in a Richards for Simmonds deal, which is how that trade will be remembered), so it would have made at least a degree of sense for the Flyers. None of those perceptions really match two years out.

Well that is depressing.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I can't buy the flyers and pens making a major deal like that. They've made like 1 trade in the past 15+ years when they traded that psycho Tibbets their way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you can manufacture even the slightest dismay at the notion of a Letang for Voracek and Simmonds trade, we are even further apart on virtually every issue than I thought :laugh: .

I love Simmonds, have since he has been a King. Voracek is nice, but he seems like one of those players that excels on bad teams. Can't wait until he drops off this year so I can stop hearing about how he is just as good as Crosby.

What would've been nice is swinging a Simmonds / Toffoli deal from the Kings. We need size in our top six, not fancy Euros.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I love Simmonds, have since he has been a King. Voracek is nice, but he seems like one of those players that excels on bad teams. Can't wait until he drops off this year so I can stop hearing about how he is just as good as Crosby.

What would've been nice is swinging a Simmonds / Toffoli deal from the Kings. We need size in our top six, not fancy Euros.

And I assume the fact that Voracek is bigger and heavier than any other top6 winger we have, apart from being more skilled than any of them, by far, is made a non-factor due to him being a "fancy Euro"...

Well, that just deepens our disagreement.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Normally, I'd buy that, but Voracek does have some decent size and power to go with his fanciness. Filatov, he is not.

Michael8771*

I've been wanting to trade Letang for quite some time. After the stroke however his value plummeted. The fact that he's a righty is also a variable to consider. I think the Pens and Wings could make good trade partners here. Of course we'd likely want to get a serviceable RHPMD back, possibly in a separate deal.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I have a very hard time imagining the Flyers seriously considered moving Simmonds AND Voracek for Letang back then...but Holmgren was not exactly known for making roster moves that adhered to logic or reason.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And I assume the fact that Voracek is bigger and heavier than any other top6 winger we have, apart from being more skilled than any of them, by far, is made a non-factor due to him being a "fancy Euro"...

Well, that just deepens our disagreement.

Voracek is basically cut from the same cloth as James Neal. My dad is a diehard Flyers fan, I have to put up with the ******** surrounding that squad every ****ing year and watch half of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad