Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster building thread - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I worry about size and concussion issues with Skinner. He's prone to taking some big hits.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
How does it not? The two of you that don't get it are making me go crazy. You cannot make moves and trades without a GM! What if the Islanders were interested in Scuderi? All I have heard in all these trade rumor threads is the Islanders were one of the only teams that would and could take on Scuderi and his contract. Moral of the story opportunity lost because they wanted to take their sweet time with announcing the GM.

i thought only impending free agents can be traded while hockey is still being played in the playoffs.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pretty sure any team can make trades right now, any player, but they are all ineligible to play right now.

So, technically, the Kings and Rangers could swap players right now, but neither could play in the finals.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure any team can make trades right now, any player, but they are all ineligible to play right now.

So, technically, the Kings and Rangers could swap players right now, but neither could play in the finals.

this is correct. the trade deadline means players traded after can't play in the playoffs, not that trades can't be made.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I really want Jeff Skinner on this team, now.

How'd we get to Skinner? Is he even rumored to be available?

Sutter was Rutherford's favorite in Carolina from what I remember, not Skinner. If we're going by implications of this hire, it's that Sutter's getting signed longterm.

I'd like to see a big name next to Sid as much as anyone. But as long as we have the right type of players, fine. If they don't have a high end skillset, then they better be creating havoc out there on the forecheck and around the net.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How'd we get to Skinner? Is he even rumored to be available?

Sutter was Rutherford's favorite in Carolina from what I remember, not Skinner. If we're going by implications of this hire, it's that Sutter's getting signed longterm.

He also said that he thinks a team needs center depth to win, so with that I don't think Sutter's getting moved.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The latest from Insider Trading:

-Kesler still wants out of Vancouver
-Spezza on the market. Thornton/Marleau aren't yet
-Brodeur is going to test FA for a 1yr deal
-Jiri Sekac (big Czech player who performed well in the KHL) has 12 NHL teams(i think it was?) teams looking to sign him to a 2yr deal (ETA: ...he has more than a dozen firm offers on a max entry-level deal for two years.)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The young d-men will bring back bottom 6 help.

But I doubt even in a package they are going to help with the two top six wingers needed for Malkin and Crosby unless the package is Maatta or Pouliot and a 1st (which will kill Pens top quality d depth). I have no idea how he is going to trade for them or who he could trade them for; it should be an interesting offseason.

Perhaps that will be all the Penguins would need from any young defensemen they would want to deal. The Penguins have four legitimate top 6 players: Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz. Bennett could be the 5th if he stays healthy and isn't shafted by the next coach. So JR may only need to find one more top 6 player.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He also said that he thinks a team needs center depth to win, so with that I don't think Sutter's getting moved.

I'm really intrigued what he'll do with this roster. He's never had the quality center depth and D corps we have. Nor has he had the financial backing from ownership.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Perhaps that will be all the Penguins would need from any young defensemen they would want to deal. The Penguins have four legitimate top 6 players: Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz. Bennett could be the 5th if he stays healthy and isn't shafted by the next coach. So JR may only need to find one more top 6 player.

I think if Bennett is in the top 6 by default, that 5th top 6 player better be really damn good.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Why do people think we can get Skinner so easily?

Are we suddenly in position to ravage Carolina's roster because he was (now) the former GM?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kulemin is exactly what we need in a LW for Malkin.

Then we probably won't be getting JVR then. I doubt Toronto is looking to bring in another $7 million D, especially at the cost of JVR. Letang's high is too high to trade him only for JVR.

Kulemin is what we need in a RW for Malkin whether or not Neal stays.

If he stays, then he needs to be on the LW. He's a two way hockey player there. On the RW, he's become a leech.

If you honestly think about it and the player he was on his natural wing, his two way game suffered as big a fall as Iginla's did when he went to LW.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Kulemin is what we need in a RW for Malkin whether or not Neal stays.

If he stays, then he needs to be on the LW. He's a two way hockey player there. On the RW, he's become a leech.

If you honestly think about it and the player he was on his natural wing, his two way game suffered as big a fall as Iginla's did when he went to LW.

But one timers :(

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The young d-men will bring back bottom 6 help.

But I doubt even in a package they are going to help with the two top six wingers needed for Malkin and Crosby unless the package is Maatta or Pouliot and a 1st (which will kill Pens top quality d depth). I have no idea how he is going to trade for them or who he could trade them for; it should be an interesting offseason.

I disagree.

Good Ol JR was asked about getting Sid an impact winger in his interview on The Fan.

Reply (summarized): We likely can't do that, since we're up against the cap, but we can try to find a better fit. The other thing is that we've got Geno too. We need to make sure we've got enough guys for both of them.

IF the ONLY thing Good Ol JR does, as I said in another thread, is get Kulemin and make a small deal for Stewart, then at least I'll know that he really does get it.

Those two guys might be wrong in the end, but at least I'll know when he talks about 'good fits', he's talking about guys who can help make Sid and Geno better in the playoffs, not guys who Sid and Geno can help accrue more regular season points.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But one timers :(

Doesn't seem to hurt a right hander on the RW like Kessel. ;)

Seriously, remember when Neal first got here. Couldn't score to save his life, but, man, that two way game in Dallas, you got a big taste of it.

Him on the RW, it's par for the course. James Neal scores goals. So, let's maximize that, let's cheat just a little, even if it means the rest of his game goes to ****.

He does NOT play a power forward's game on the RW, and his defensive zone work made Jokinen look good by comparison.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is anyone else worried about a 5 year $5m/year contract to Sutter?

Nope. I actually expect Sutter to sign a two year bridge deal for no more than 3.5M or to be moved. I think, from Good Ol JR's perspective, taking care of Sid and Geno, as much as possible within the cap constraints, comes first.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Doesn't seem to hurt a right hander on the RW like Kessel. ;)

Seriously, remember when Neal first got here. Couldn't score to save his life, but, man, that two way game in Dallas, you got a big taste of it.

Him on the RW, it's par for the course. James Neal scores goals. So, let's maximize that, let's cheat just a little, even if it means the rest of his game goes to ****.

He does NOT play a power forward's game on the RW, and his defensive zone work made Jokinen look good by comparison.

I found Bylsma's obsession with playing everyone on their off-wing bizarre. Was he forced to play his off-wing? Was he playing his natural wing when he fell down on his 2-on-1 with Gretzky and said to himself 'if only I was on my off-wing, I could have gotten a one timer off'?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I found Bylsma's obsession with playing everyone on their off-wing bizarre. Was he forced to play his off-wing? Was he playing his natural wing when he fell down on his 2-on-1 with Gretzky and said to himself 'if only I was on my off-wing, I could have gotten a one timer off'?

Here's what I think happened: They thought they'd have Sid back early for the 2011-2012 season. So, since Kunitz was the LW, the only way Neal would be able to play with Sid was if he moved to RW. Ergo, the test. Then, Neal took off with Geno, Sid came back and went right back out, and it just didn't happen.

You know my thoughts on Neal, so let me put this out there for your consumption: I could see him as a perfect 5M playoff winger and not just a leech playing on his natural LW.

EDIT: I can wait for your reply, as I'm expecting that one to put you into the hospital for a few days. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad